PDA

View Full Version : Fox wanted to run the Option 15 years ago

SureShot
11-17-2011, 08:37 AM
"We talked about many things pertaining to football. One of the most interesting that I can recall is Coach Fox’s thoughts on what he might do if he was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to be an NFL head coach. He talked about trying to run an option offense similar to Nebraska's under legendary coach Tom Osborne."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-11-16/option-offense-on-john-foxs-radar-15-years-ago#ixzz1dyssF2hD

TheReverend
11-17-2011, 08:46 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hn-enjcgV1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheReverend
11-17-2011, 08:48 AM
"Coach Fox was not sure if an owner would allow him to run the option, but he believed it could be successful if he could find enough players to play the quarterback position at a high level and stay healthy."

That's a trip

SureShot
11-17-2011, 08:55 AM
"Coach Fox was not sure if an owner would allow him to run the option, but he believed it could be successful if he could find enough players to play the quarterback position at a high level and stay healthy."

That's a trip

I think finding those QBs would actually be pretty easy.

TheReverend
11-17-2011, 08:57 AM

This could be one weird off-season...

Kid A
11-17-2011, 09:01 AM
You guys, Tommie Frazier is still available. We also might be able to snag Eric Crouch from the Omaha Nighthawks as well.

ludo21
11-17-2011, 09:03 AM
So long as we can get more and more pass plays into this offense we will be able to run the read option as long as we want.

Fox may be old, but he does have some liberal thoughts for the offense, which is fun to see

SureShot
11-17-2011, 09:05 AM
You guys, Tommie Frazier is still available. We also might be able to snag Eric Crouch from the Omaha Nighthawks as well.

Too bad Brad Smith signed a multi year deal this year.

Crushaholic
11-17-2011, 09:22 AM
It is rather bothersome that Fox admits that quarterbacks are likely to be injured in an NFL option offense. We don't want to put TOO many quarterbacks on a roster. That takes away from depth at other positions...

jhns
11-17-2011, 09:25 AM

It is easy to find option QBs. It isn't easy to find option QBs that can continually take on, or run away from, NFL defenders.

FISH
11-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Brady Quinn didnt run much option at Notre Dame (as far as I can tell by his stats) but is a fairly big fella...wonder how he would hold up?

DBroncos4life
11-17-2011, 09:31 AM
I can't see this being more then a one year thing. That said I think we could get guys like Robinson and T Magic in a few years. Hell Magic won't even be drafted.

Kid A
11-17-2011, 09:36 AM
I can't see this being more then a one year thing. That said I think we could get guys like Robinson and T Magic in a few years. Hell Magic won't even be drafted.

I just love the idea of how NFL commentators would react to him; if you like Tebow's throwing motion just wait 'til you get a load of this!

Powderaddict
11-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Wow, that is really interesting....

srphoenix
11-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Denard Robinson would be fun to have as a backup or even a change of pace QB if this is the system were going to run.

DBroncos4life
11-17-2011, 09:46 AM
I just love the idea of how NFL commentators would react to him; if you like Tebow's throwing motion just wait 'til you get a load of this!

It's so ugly Lol. I wonder if he works on it at all?

bendog
11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
It's too bad there's no reporter in Den who'd ask Fox about that article.

Rohirrim
11-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Mix in Stanford's use of three 6'6" TEs. ;D

Requiem
11-17-2011, 10:08 AM
It is rather bothersome that Fox admits that quarterbacks are likely to be injured in an NFL option offense. We don't want to put TOO many quarterbacks on a roster. That takes away from depth at other positions...

Why is it bothersome? It is a fact. Whether it is the QB running the option or the subsequent players getting ball activity around them, many are exposed to bone-jarring hits whether they have the ball or not. Rattling the opposition is one of the best defenses against the option. McGahee and Moreno getting injured last week wasn't a coincidence.

p7superfly
11-17-2011, 10:12 AM
I wanted to trade up and get Cam Newton, then run him and Tebow at the same time in a dual-pistol, Tebow rolls left, Cam rolls right. I'm crazy, bitch.

I'm glad we got Von Miller.

SureShot
11-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Why is it bothersome? It is a fact. Whether it is the QB running the option or the subsequent players getting ball activity around them, many are exposed to bone-jarring hits whether they have the ball or not. Rattling the opposition is one of the best defenses against the option. McGahee and Moreno getting injured last week wasn't a coincidence.

With the new rule changes I dont think teams would get away with teeing off on QBs (especially to the head) after pitching the ball like they do in college. Wouldnt they be considered a defenseless player in that situation?

bendog
11-17-2011, 10:24 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2011/05/nfl_owners_approve_player_safe.html

no

BroncsCheer
11-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Agree with everything except the last statement.

Willie Mac was a non-contact injury, and KnoMo got piled on after running for 20+.

DBroncos4life
11-17-2011, 10:28 AM

I've watched the option o for many years and I've seen QBs and RBs get blown up many times and they get back up. I don't think either RBs injury has anything other to do with a fluke and a player made of glass. I do however think QBs that run the option in the NFL will have a short career.

Requiem
11-17-2011, 10:31 AM
With the new rule changes I dont think teams would get away with teeing off on QBs (especially to the head) after pitching the ball like they do in college. Wouldnt they be considered a defenseless player in that situation?

Teams probably aren't going to get away with it in regards to the QB, but I'm a firm believer that running the option makes players more vulnerable/susceptible to injury. That is one of the reasons it isn't ran in the NFL widespread.

peacepipe
11-17-2011, 10:33 AM
With the new rule changes I dont think teams would get away with teeing off on QBs (especially to the head) after pitching the ball like they do in college. Wouldnt they be considered a defenseless player in that situation?If the qb is in a position where he can block,whether he tries to or not,he is not protected by defensive player rules. if he were on the other side of the field where he is completely out of the play than yes.

SureShot
11-17-2011, 10:35 AM
If the qb is in a position where he can block,whether he tries to or not,he is not protected by defensive player rules. if he were on the other side of the field where he is completely out of the play than yes.

When do you see QBs attempting a block in the option?

DBroncos4life
11-17-2011, 10:36 AM
When do you see QBs attempting a block in the option?

They can't.

peacepipe
11-17-2011, 10:37 AM
When do you see QBs attempting a block in the option?doesn't matter,when a QB pitches a ball to the RB he is in the field of play. he's free game to get hit.

Bronco Yoda
11-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Ok, I know I'll catch some hell for this but...

I wanted to see Tebow in at RB with Orton to see the halfback option. Too bad the coaches never tried it. I know all the fuss and wrong signals that would have caused....but it would still have been fun to watch for a couple of games :)

DBroncos4life
11-17-2011, 10:40 AM
doesn't matter,when a QB pitches a ball to the RB he is in the field of play. he's free game to get hit.

If a QB is pitching the ball he is either being hit or just about to be hit.

Paladin
11-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I think Req is right. This O is here for now and will not be the main O scheme next year, IMO. That's why I think a QB will be drafted first. But it would not surprise me if TEBOW stays on as a backup/starter . I could see, for example, that the O starts out with a conventional two back system, but TEBOW comes in and runs a complete series of the read option, then switch back to the more conventional system. If the balance was managed well, that would make thngs difficult for DCs to plan against.

peacepipe
11-17-2011, 10:44 AM
If a QB is pitching the ball he is either being hit or just about to be hit.

the point I'm making is that a QB isn't protected by "defensive player/RTP" in run/option plays.

DenverBroncosJM
11-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't understand the theory that QB's will be hurt more often in an option based offense in the NFL opposed to the NCAAF. The thought is that the defense is bigger, stronger and faster.

Doesnt that theory hold true for the people protecting the quarterback and the quarterback himself? While i think there is an increased chance of injury i dont think its as great as everyone makes it out to be.

DenverBroncosJM
11-17-2011, 10:56 AM
I think Req is right. This O is here for now and will not be the main O scheme next year, IMO. That's why I think a QB will be drafted first. But it would not surprise me if TEBOW stays on as a backup/starter . I could see, for example, that the O starts out with a conventional two back system, but TEBOW comes in and runs a complete series of the read option, then switch back to the more conventional system. If the balance was managed well, that would make thngs difficult for DCs to plan against.

We need a Monster DL or MLB in the first. I will start flipping tables in my house like an old western poker game if we take a QB in the first.

2KBack
11-17-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't understand the theory that QB's will be hurt more often in an option based offense in the NFL opposed to the NCAAF. The thought is that the defense is bigger, stronger and faster.

Doesnt that theory hold true for the people protecting the quarterback and the quarterback himself? While i think there is an increased chance of injury i dont think its as great as everyone makes it out to be.

who is protecting the QB when he is past the line of scrimmage?

SureShot
11-17-2011, 10:58 AM

You mean besides Jesus?

Smilin Assassin
11-17-2011, 10:59 AM

You meant to say "Who is protecting the linebackers from Tebow?"

:D

DenverBroncosJM
11-17-2011, 11:02 AM

In the small sampling of the hits that Tebow has taken beyond the line i cant remember one that seemed overly vicious. point taken though that its just a matter of time. I would like to see him slid a bit more then go for the extra 3-4 yards.

cutthemdown

That's a trip

I was talking about this very thing with my Brother who is a huge Raider fan. We were saying it could work, but you would need maybe 3-4 qbs on the roster that all could run like hell in the option. It's just so against the NFL. I'm not saying im not excited to watch tonight, I am. It's just that its not easy to be the one team trying to do something so different. There is a lot to risk.

But I think no matter what Tebow should be a Bronco for life. Why would another team think he is a QB in a pro offense if Broncos give a fair shake and it doesn't work.

He needs to beat a good team. That is all he can do at this point to prove to the FO they can pull this off.

The good thing would be you load up on olineman and defense in the early rounds and FA etc, but all the option QBS and Rbs fall to you as UDFA.

cutthemdown
In the small sampling of the hits that Tebow has taken beyond the line i cant remember one that seemed overly vicious. point taken though that its just a matter of time. I would like to see him slid a bit more then go for the extra 3-4 yards.

I'd sort of like to see him just steam roll Revis, break his rib, puncture his lung, then go 40 yrds for a TD.

Dedhed
11-17-2011, 11:11 AM
It is easy to find option QBs. It isn't easy to find option QBs that can continually take on, or run away from, NFL defenders.

I think the crux is finding one who can stay healthy when he does get caught.

broncosteven
11-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I would like to see a reverse WC tonight where they flank Timmy wide and bring in Quinn with a throw/run option.

That would certainly give the D something else to think of.

bendog
11-17-2011, 02:15 PM

I sorta agree. If Tebow convinces Fox that he can learn to execute a pro-style offense, then I think the option stays part of the offense because in effect it forces defenses to bring up an extra defender. It's not a huge advantage because as soon as the defense reads the qb making a drop, the extra defender can drop into coverage, but still it makes the defense defend something extra. And, I don't expect Cam to stop using similar plays. But I don't see anyway to consistently win in the NFL when your passing game is essentially tossing it up there for your recievers to make plays. The qb has to read the coverage and know what routes are adjusted and when and where to throw the ball.

NUB
11-17-2011, 02:38 PM

I think it's way more likely for Tebow to get hurt standing in the pocket than running around.

bendog
11-17-2011, 02:42 PM
I think it's way more likely for Tebow to get hurt standing in the pocket than running around.

Unfortunately there's truth in that.

Mogulseeker
11-17-2011, 02:52 PM
This could be one weird off-season...

VY is a free agent. I like the guy. We should sign him.

TheChamp24
11-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Tim Tebow lets other teams lose.
You don't tackle Tim Tebow, he just feels bad sometimes he'll go down to avoid the epic humiliation you would receive from him blowing you up.

orinjkrush
11-17-2011, 04:06 PM
the NFL is so incestuous, anything sorta new will be scorned by the pundits.

only time will tell if TT can actually transform the concept of the QB or just fade away like another wildcat experiment.

i'd rather have 11 players like TT on the team, then the tried and true....

Reggie Bush, Alex Smith, Matt Leinert, Knowshon Moreno, Demaryious Thoms, CJ Spiller and on and on and on..

Broncoman13
11-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Seriously??? Did you watch the game or were you typing with a smile?

extralife
11-17-2011, 04:23 PM
and I got yelled at for my Tom Osborne joke thread

ahead of the curve

DBroncos4life
11-17-2011, 04:35 PM
and I got yelled at for my Tom Osborne joke thread

ahead of the curve

Popps hates fun