PDA

View Full Version : Royal at RB?

theStifmeister
11-16-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm thinking if McGahee isn't ready to go tomorrow, we could see Royal get some carries. He looked good in the triple option, and has good vision. I'm excited to see the game plan tomorrow!

SonOfLe-loLang
11-16-2011, 09:06 AM
I doubt it, but I assume he'll be on the edge in a triple option or two like he was last week

bfoflcommish
11-16-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm thinking if McGahee isn't ready to go tomorrow, we could see Royal get some carries. He looked good in the triple option, and has good vision. I'm excited to see the game plan tomorrow!

he's proven to be so sturdy throughout is career, this isnt a bad idea at all. :kiddingme

Smiling Assassin27
11-16-2011, 09:15 AM
he's proven to be so sturdy throughout is career, this isnt a bad idea at all. :kiddingme

The Tebow has enabled him to grow a new outer shell of awesomeness...and steel.

cmhargrove
11-16-2011, 09:17 AM
No problem with a couple "end arounds" "triple options" or a "reverse," but don't get too fancy or you will lose Royal.

How about we just use him for punt returns? I mean every punt return! Not just one punt return for a TD, I mean every punt return!

You would do much, much better to mix Royal in for some more bubble screens every game. At least there, he has the chance to use his open field speed. You don't want Royal colliding with LB's too many times, or he is done for the season.

jhns
Wtf did I just read?

bfoflcommish
The Tebow has enabled him to grow a new outer shell of awesomeness...and steel.

oh, well then yes, all for it!

ZONA
11-16-2011, 09:22 AM
OMG - this is why people on sports forums are not coaching in the NFL. These lame ideas. Royal at RB? Are you serious? Yeah, why don't we go ahead and try Champ out at RB while we're at it.

There is a reason why Johnson was activated. He and Ball will get the RB type of carries. Royal will only get some type of reverse or option.

Peoples Champ
11-16-2011, 09:28 AM
what about punt returning? His first time back to returning he took it too the house.

UberBroncoMan
11-16-2011, 09:29 AM
To be fair. Royal is similar to Chris Johnson in height and weight...both are fast too.

JUST SAYING!!!

theStifmeister
11-16-2011, 09:34 AM
OMG - this is why people on sports forums are not coaching in the NFL. These lame ideas. Royal at RB? Are you serious? Yeah, why don't we go ahead and try Champ out at RB while we're at it.

There is a reason why Johnson was activated. He and Ball will get the RB type of carries. Royal will only get some type of reverse or option.

Your absolutely sickening. This is why 90% of threads on this forum, are reposted articles from the Denver Post or other sports affiliates.

Natedog24
11-16-2011, 09:36 AM
If Denver plans to continue down the Spread Option rabbit hole it is extremely important that they keep Eddie Royal healthy and in that slot position. He'll still get plenty of carries from triple options and fly sweeps in this offense.

theStifmeister
11-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Also, do you understand by Royal getting *injured* running the ball, would be more productive then having line up at wide out? Since he has had 2 catches in the last 2 weeks? ****in flamer

cutthemdown
11-16-2011, 09:39 AM
I think Broncos will run an option that uses larsen at FB and Ball at RB. What you do is the first option is the FB dive right at the NT or DT in the middle of the LOS. That forces the DT to stay put and froze in the middle. Then the RB is the 2nd option outisde, and of course Tebow inside of that lane.

It is a triple option but often just a double option because they never plan to give it to FB. The defense though has no choice to respect it as a triple option because otherwise if the vacate the middle its an easy 4-5 yrds for the FB, who i guess would be larsen unfortunately. Broncos need blocking TE and more FB/RB now.

ColoradoDarin
11-16-2011, 09:40 AM
WR at RB?

Sassy is that you again?

cutthemdown
11-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Well I think the guy means you will see more runs with royal, be it in the triple option, or IMO reverses. I think we see some option type reverse in this game to Royal or Decker.

I also think Larsen plays more at FB this week. I still think we will spread them out but I also think we could see some 2 back stuff.

theStifmeister
11-16-2011, 09:44 AM
I take it no one has seen the Vikings play and how they utilize Percy Harvin?

Dedhed
11-16-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm excited to see the game plan tomorrow!

I don't know if I would use the term "excited", but I'm certainly interested in seeing what the offense looks like against a pretty solid defensive unit, and even more interested to see what happens should we fall behind in this game.

TheReverend
11-16-2011, 09:58 AM

We did that in 04 actually :)

Shotgun Willie
11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
He'd probably just drop the handoff anyway.

jhns
11-16-2011, 10:02 AM
We did that in 04 actually :)

Wasn't it just receiver? I don't remember him at RB.

Rolandftw
11-16-2011, 10:07 AM
Using him a few times in the option is a good idea, but definitely not as a 5-10 carries a game running back.

Teams going to depend a lot on Lance Ball, Jeremiah Johnson and Spencer Larsen.

Ball looked winded as **** at some points in the KC game. Can't really blame him considering he carried the ball five straight times at one point. Need to mix it up with all three of them to keep them fresh.

Hopefully, McGahee is healthy enough to go by at least the SD game. That's the game that we have to have to likely stay in the race.

broncocalijohn
11-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Wtf did I just read?

You just read that the OP has an idea to takeaway some of your Love interest's carries for Thursday's game.

I just wonder if we are going to see the wishbone and make Navy Football look like University of Hawaii.

sinuous sausage
11-16-2011, 10:13 AM
I take it no one has seen the Vikings play and how they utilize Percy Harvin?

they're doing well

jhns
11-16-2011, 10:15 AM
You just read that the OP has an idea to takeaway some of your Love interest's carries for Thursday's game.

By a guy that can't break a finger tackle. A guy that a tually studied how to not take hits at the receiver position his entire rookie year. Sounds like a great RB to me!

Royal is good in space...

TheReverend
11-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Wasn't it just receiver? I don't remember him at RB.

Only in the backfield. A swing pass that he took for 11 yards.

Houshyamama
11-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Colquitt @ OLB. Discuss.

OABB
11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Colquitt @ OLB. Discuss.

locked up?

BigPlayShay
11-16-2011, 11:04 AM
2000 season @ Seattle. Rod Smith lined up at tailback for several plays. Ended up with 3 carries for 78 yards, one of them a 50 yard TD.

sinuous sausage
11-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Colquitt @ OLB. Discuss.

I thought the point of this exercise was to not make sense...?

ozomulsion
11-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Wtf did I just read?

THIS :spit:

broncocalijohn
11-16-2011, 11:29 AM
I thought the point of this exercise was to not make sense...?

You have a Celine Dion avatar on a very manly football forum website. You got the "not make sense" down pat.

ozomulsion
11-16-2011, 11:35 AM
2000 season @ Seattle. Rod Smith lined up at tailback for several plays. Ended up with 3 carries for 78 yards, one of them a 50 yard TD.

That was ****in Awesome! I remember it as if it were yesterday, and when all our returners were injured. They stuck him at punt returner, which I had never seen him do, and he took his second return of the game for a TD. I <3 Rod

MplsBronco
Am I the only one excited to see Johnson in there? This new scheme should fit him perfectly.

cutthemdown
The people making fun of this thread are some of the people who just don't know football much. He's not saying line up at RB and give him inside carries. He's saying look for some creative ways to get the ball to Royal out of the backfield, or looping into backfield from outside at the WR spot. I'd say there is a good chance we see some of the WR maybe carry the ball some. Royal would be at the top of that list.

Now do I think he is a consistent player, one who won't make a mistake? Not sure i do trust him a ton because his hands seem avg to me this yr. But still not a bad thread to wonder if we could see some pitches and shovels to Royal out of that backfield. We have already seen him go outside on the triple option so not like it is a reach.

sinuous sausage
11-16-2011, 11:37 AM
You have a Celine Dion avatar on a very manly football forum website. You got the "not make sense" down pat.

Wait...you aren't all actually females?

Houshyamama
11-16-2011, 11:53 AM

I'm secretly a lesbian.

That One Guy
11-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Where does this idea that Royal is suddenly a great _____ come from? Yeah, he had a return. That was awesome. What about the 874 thousand fair catches and crappy punt returns before that? And getting him the ball in space? Has he done anything noteworthy with a pass since his rookie year? That last question was sincere as maybe I'm forgetting something.

Royal is a lot closer to being cut than he is the "how can we get the ball in his hands" type player.

That One Guy
11-16-2011, 11:57 AM

It's hard for us to admit it. On the one hand, we get mod protection but on the other hand, Rev is peering at us with a pitchfork, nonstop.

We just try to blend in. Having an avatar like yours betrays the secret, though.

cutthemdown
11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Where does this idea that Royal is suddenly a great _____ come from? Yeah, he had a return. That was awesome. What about the 874 thousand fair catches and crappy punt returns before that? And getting him the ball in space? Has he done anything noteworthy with a pass since his rookie year? That last question was sincere as maybe I'm forgetting something.

Royal is a lot closer to being cut than he is the "how can we get the ball in his hands" type player.

Yeah but you could see last week he was in the gameplan. He had a pitch on the triple option, he had a shovel pass he dropped, he had a long pass he didn't catch. I agree he isn't great but i do think Broncos will keep trying to get him the ball in those type of situations a few times a game. Hopefully he will get some first downs.

jhns
11-16-2011, 12:37 PM
The people making fun of this thread are some of the people who just don't know football much. He's not saying line up at RB and give him inside carries. He's saying look for some creative ways to get the ball to Royal out of the backfield, or looping into backfield from outside at the WR spot. I'd say there is a good chance we see some of the WR maybe carry the ball some. Royal would be at the top of that list.

Now do I think he is a consistent player, one who won't make a mistake? Not sure i do trust him a ton because his hands seem avg to me this yr. But still not a bad thread to wonder if we could see some pitches and shovels to Royal out of that backfield. We have already seen him go outside on the triple option so not like it is a reach.

He isn't a RB if he gets carries from the receiver position. Royals game is not suited for lining up in the RB position. You claim others don't know football, right before you show you don't know football. You don't even know what the RB position is... Funny stuff.

strafen
11-16-2011, 12:39 PM
With Royal at RB -great idea!- very genious type idea, I'd like to propose yet another fantastic idea...
What about having Tebow throw the deep ball with his right hand?
I think he'll be more accurate.
Discuss... LOL

Cool Breeze
11-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Colquitt @ OLB. Discuss.

We got rid of our juiced up punter awhile ago...

2KBack
11-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Statistically he isn't a great WR

Statistically he is a pretty good returner though. He's no Hester, but his averages are on par with Josh Cribbs, Deon Sanders and Brian Mitchell.

cutthemdown
11-16-2011, 02:51 PM
He isn't a RB if he gets carries from the receiver position. Royals game is not suited for lining up in the RB position. You claim others don't know football, right before you show you don't know football. You don't even know what the RB position is... Funny stuff.

I can see Royal in the backfield, seriously it could happen. But mostly when talking option, and ball carriers anyone who is fast can be part of the option. I clarified myself very well in my post that Royal won't be lining up as a lead back and taking regular hand offs.

Oh and I will put my football chops on the line with yours any day of the week. You have proven yourself over and over to have nothing to add to the site.

bendog
11-16-2011, 02:54 PM
McCoy appears just crazy enough to line him up in an I behind Larson and run the straight old triple option full back dive, qb off tackle, pitch to the rb ... and set up a route to the wr on the opposite side of the field. He could even use the TE to rub off the cornerback covering the wr.

This is just bat **** crazy football.

jhns
11-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I can see Royal in the backfield, seriously it could happen. But mostly when talking option, and ball carriers anyone who is fast can be part of the option. I clarified myself very well in my post that Royal won't be lining up as a lead back and taking regular hand offs.

Oh and I will put my football chops on the line with yours any day of the week. You have proven yourself over and over to have nothing to add to the site.

Yeah, I have been so wrong all the time.

I watch this exact offense every weekend, now twice. You can't just be fast to line up in the backfield. You won't be working in space. You still have to be a player that can break an arm tackle. You have to be willing to take hits. This is not Royal. He has even said he can't take too many hits because of his size. He had multiple interviews in his rookie year, talking about how he was studying how to not take hits at the receiver position because of this. He picked Stokleys brain when it came to that.

Royal will be used in the option. I doubt we have success if he is lined up at RB and getting the ball.

cutthemdown
11-16-2011, 03:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A13tYMcmEf4

It will look like this. They start WR in the slot, then motion him to back field. The FB dives at the DT to create a freeze, really a triple option with the wr ending up as the RB.

Now does he run inside, no? You either plunge the FB if the DT is being lazy, or the QB takes it through any hole he sees on the LOS, or you pitch it out to the WR, who is in the RBs spot.

I think this guys thread deserved more then just you are an idiot go away.

cutthemdown
11-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Now go crawl back in mammas pouch and suckle on some milk. Come back when you are a little older and wiser.

bendog
11-16-2011, 03:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A13tYMcmEf4

It will look like this. They start WR in the slot, then motion him to back field. The FB dives at the DT to create a freeze, really a triple option with the wr ending up as the RB.

Now does he run inside, no? You either plunge the FB if the DT is being lazy, or the QB takes it through any hole he sees on the LOS, or you pitch it out to the WR, who is in the RBs spot.

I think this guys thread deserved more then just you are an idiot go away.

I agree with that. I don't recall the slot wr actually going into the backfield in a running slot, and I don't get utube at work, but i do recall a play were Royal was in slot on one side and he ended up the triple option recipent on an qb toss to him as the outside option on the other side of the field, so that would be similar (or the same) to what I recall.

I didn't post, but I disagreed with whoever said Royal wouldn't get five touches as RB. Unless willis is better than I think, I think Royal will see about five touches.

24champ
11-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Only in the backfield. A swing pass that he took for 11 yards.

Good memory Rev.

Additionally, he saw action on several third-down situations as a receiver and caught an 11-yard pass from Jake Plummer on a third-and-12 in the first quarter while lined up at running back for the Broncos’ first catch of the season. The play marked the first time since 1993 that a Broncos defensive player (LB Dave Wyman) made a reception.

http://www.champbailey.com/bio.html

cutthemdown
11-16-2011, 03:17 PM
I agree with that. I don't recall the slot wr actually going into the backfield in a running slot, and I don't get utube at work, but i do recall a play were Royal was in slot on one side and he ended up the triple option recipent on an qb toss to him as the outside option on the other side of the field, so that would be similar (or the same) to what I recall.

I didn't post, but I disagreed with whoever said Royal wouldn't get five touches as RB. Unless willis is better than I think, I think Royal will see about five touches.

Well 5 might be a lot. Many times in a triple option its only really a double option. In that defense has to respect the FB in that set even though the offense may say only the QB and the WR motioning into the backfield are true option. The FB is meant to freeze the big boys inside. But other times it could be a true triple option. So Royal may get into a position in the option 5-7 times etc etc, but only get ball a few times.

I actually agree with Jhns royal will only get ball outside, to avoid lots of contact. And you can prob forget about him getting a bunch of carries. Still though its a valid point to say you will see Royal in the backfield, in a spot traditional filled by a rb. But in an option anything is possible because WR run the ball, RB run the ball, QB runs the ball, fb runs the ball etc etc.

Whatever though i just think it sucks someone tried to start a thread about football and once again the local clowns decide to just go off on it. Rather then just talk football.

bendog
11-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Well 5 might be a lot. Many times in a triple option its only really a double option. In that defense has to respect the FB in that set even though the offense may say only the QB and the WR motioning into the backfield are true option. The FB is meant to freeze the big boys inside. But other times it could be a true triple option. So Royal may get into a position in the option 5-7 times etc etc, but only get ball a few times.

I actually agree with Jhns royal will only get ball outside, to avoid lots of contact. And you can prob forget about him getting a bunch of carries. Still though its a valid point to say you will see Royal in the backfield, in a spot traditional filled by a rb. But in an option anything is possible because WR run the ball, RB run the ball, QB runs the ball, fb runs the ball etc etc.

Whatever though i just think it sucks someone tried to start a thread about football and once again the local clowns decide to just go off on it. Rather then just talk football.

yeah, I just meant that with the rb's being down, I will not be surprised to see 5 triple options. I was thinking that McCoy might even dial up some kind of quick screen with just the TE, wr and fb blocking. It wouldn't be aimed at negating a pass rush, but it'd be an easy throw, similar to what Tebow did at Fla, and he if the fb can negate the OSLB and wr the CB, then the FB could lead him in space with the safety trying to make a play.

cmhargrove
11-16-2011, 03:39 PM
The other thing the Broncos set up last game was the Jet Sweep. I would think Royal has more luck with a Jet Sweep than the Triple Option.

ozomulsion
11-16-2011, 04:17 PM
The other thing the Broncos set up last game was the Jet Sweep. I would think Royal has more luck with a Jet Sweep than the Triple Option.

Yes yes. I hope we actually do or fake the jet sweep more than couple times this next game. I'd like to see at least 2 actually run, and 3 or 4 fakes.

I'd like to see the triple option more, myself. I just don't think our OC has the balls to run it more than 3 times max in the game.

jhns
11-16-2011, 04:21 PM

Yeah but it will be funny to bump if he actually does line up at RB.

barryr
11-16-2011, 04:46 PM
I really would not mind seeing Royal out of the backfield, not so much for running plays, but to get him more free for some pass plays. He has the most speed of the WR's so figure out how to use it more. He should be on punt returns too since makes no sense if he has speed to continue to use him the way they do and is no factor in most games. Get the ball in his hands somehow, looking for some big plays.

cutthemdown
11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
yeah, I just meant that with the rb's being down, I will not be surprised to see 5 triple options. I was thinking that McCoy might even dial up some kind of quick screen with just the TE, wr and fb blocking. It wouldn't be aimed at negating a pass rush, but it'd be an easy throw, similar to what Tebow did at Fla, and he if the fb can negate the OSLB and wr the CB, then the FB could lead him in space with the safety trying to make a play.

We have a great offense to get the TE the ball but none of the TE seem that good. Fells just sort of avg at everything and in the NFL its hard to get open against these linebackers when you are avg.

cutthemdown
11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
I really would not mind seeing Royal out of the backfield, not so much for running plays, but to get him more free for some pass plays. He has the most speed of the WR's so figure out how to use it more. He should be on punt returns too since makes no sense if he has speed to continue to use him the way they do and is no factor in most games. Get the ball in his hands somehow, looking for some big plays.

In a triple option he could most of the time just be a decoy. Like it has been said, and no one arguing with, Royal can't take a bunch of hits. But in college Tebow had the WR motioning into the backfield all the time. With all the rbs hurt I could see Denver wanting to sneak Decker and Royal some carries to take the load off Ball and maybe even get some big plays.

Momentum
11-16-2011, 08:40 PM
If we are going to keep Tebow we might as well just outright cut Eddie. His talents are so wasted right now.

Wes Mantooth
11-16-2011, 09:56 PM

Did anyone think that this would be the start of a thread three years ago? Ha!

sinuous sausage
11-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Did anyone think that this would be the start of a thread three years ago? Ha!

shoot, not even three weeks ago

Bronco Yoda
11-17-2011, 02:44 AM
:twitch:

barryr
11-17-2011, 04:30 AM
If we are going to keep Tebow we might as well just outright cut Eddie. His talents are so wasted right now.

What great stuff was Royal doing with Orton at QB the last couple of years?

theStifmeister
11-22-2011, 06:25 PM
illiterate flamers, must troll on these boards to avoid your mom telling you to get a job

Dagmar
11-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I hope to see Eddie blow up in SD in the return game again!

That One Guy
11-22-2011, 06:57 PM
illiterate flamers, must troll on these boards to avoid your mom telling you to get a job

Great bump. Definitely glad you did so to inject this insight.

TheReverend
11-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I hope to see Eddie blow up in SD in the return game again!

Strong point. Stealing for podcast.

Broncos_OTM
11-23-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm secretly a lesbian.You should come out of the closet. Us lesbians arent looked at like we once were.!