PDA

View Full Version : John Elway this morning on the game

Kaylore
11-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Some interesting comments from him.

Tim managed the game very well and made the play to win the game when he had to.
Was an impressive team win for the Broncos and one of Tim's best game.
Tim didn't throw a lot because the game dictated us to run more. The bottom line is Tim and offensive line did what they had to do to get a win,
In the last four games the Broncos have the best rushing offense in the NFL. Mentioned that the lack of a real offseason put a delay on the lines getting in sync. Said the new backs on the team make a difference and of course the added dimension of Tim helps it all work together.
Lance Ball really stepped up and may have earned more playing time.
On potentially trying to win the division: We are trying to do that every week. The coaching staff was game-planning for the Jets game before and even "during" the Chiefs game.
Up to this point in time they are getting to their goal of being competitive offensively and defensively and putting Tim in the best position to be successful as a quarterback that can help the team. It's a process and they are trying to improve. Happy to go from 1-4 to 4-5 but knows there is more help and more growth needed.
Wants to build a program that will sustain itself. When dealing with a young QB and adjust an entire system on the fly, the staff has to tinker in season and its taken some time to start to put together what they needed to but very happy with the process.

On if he can win long term running 80% of your plays: "We won like that early in my career. I don't think we'll do that every game, but when it makes sense we will."
On Von Miller: "He's playing at a high level, the level we knew he could and expected for the second pick in the draft." Praised Dennis Allen for an awesome game plan and disrupting Cassel in KC.

edog24
11-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Boy he doesn't commit to much does he?

Thanks for the recap.

ColoradoDarin
11-14-2011, 07:46 AM
recap rep

The question I would like to hear the answer to is (and maybe this is for the end of the year), if Tim shows he can win, what development do you see putting into him in the off season to become a more effective passer?

TheReverend
11-14-2011, 07:48 AM
Nice to see John coming around more publicly.

gyldenlove
11-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Come on, he enjoyed winning in Arrowhead as much as anyone, he of anyone knows how hard it is for the Broncos to get a W in that place - just think in the last 2 weeks we have gotten wins in Arrowhead and the Black hole, probably the two places we want to win the most.

2KBack
11-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the recap.

Those seem like pretty straight forward answers....what exactly did he lack commitment to?

Kaylore
11-14-2011, 07:53 AM
FYI, his tone was one of honest praise. His waffling on the Cassel vs Tebow question was a tone more not wanting to rip on another player publicly and instead just re-praised Tebow. His most telling comment on Tebow was when he said "We want Tebow to throw from the pocket, but we don't necessarily want him to be a 'pocket passer'."

Kid A
11-14-2011, 08:01 AM
It's no secret on this board, but it bears constant repeating that Dennis Allen has done an amazing job so far. Hope the FO does what it takes to keep him here for a long time, because with Miller and Dumervil at his disposal it won't be long before he garners league wide attention.

FISH
11-14-2011, 08:05 AM
FYI, his tone was one of honest praise. His waffling on the Cassel vs Tebow question was a tone more not wanting to rip on another player publicly and instead just re-praised Tebow. His most telling comment on Tebow was when he said "We want Tebow to throw from the pocket, but we don't necessarily want him to be a 'pocket passer'."

So...if I "rep" you for Johns' comment....do you thing the "rep" gods will make sure it gets to the right person? hmmmm

Either way...thanks for looking out...those are some good things to hear.

UberBroncoMan
11-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Something I'm happy about.

It seems we'll finally have stability at DC for the first time in years.

lod01
11-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Elway can't wait for this clown to start losing so he can move the team in the right direction. Beating cupcakes isn't going to get this team anywhere. The beatdowns start Thursday.

UberBroncoMan
11-14-2011, 08:15 AM
It's no secret on this board, but it bears constant repeating that Dennis Allen has done an amazing job so far. Hope the FO does what it takes to keep him here for a long time, because with Miller and Dumervil at his disposal it won't be long before he garners league wide attention.

Imagine if Moore ever becomes that Reed type player too.

Hopefully we can hit home-runs on a DT and CB next year.

Hell...imagine if we had one or two stud DT's to go with Thomas and Bunkley.

Props to McBean too. He's having a career year.

The Moops
11-14-2011, 08:16 AM
I think Elway and the Broncos staff are shocked at how everything is playing out. When they first started Tebow I think they wanted to show how he Wasn't a QB. Then, despite their best efforts, Tebow led that frantic comeback and beat Miami. The game plan against the Lions stunk, and I think it was their attempt to expose Tebow's lack of passing prowess. I mean, who has their QB throw a long deep out at the corner of the goal line into double coverage? When it came to playing the Raiders the Broncos decided that no one likes losing to Oakland and finally put in a game plan to suit Tebow's strengths. They did the same at KC, even though it was the most conservative game plan in the last 40 years. Yet Tebow and Denver still won.

Now that the other AFC West teams are playing .500 ball, the Broncos have finally decided that Hey, we've got a chance with Tebow! And they are going to do their best to win the division.

But regardless of what happens, even if Tebow wins every game and the Broncos make the playoffs, you can bet Elway is going to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds and/or sign a free agent QB to compete with Tebow next year. The bottom line is Elway wants a conventional QB leading his team. The pressure is still on Tebow to prove the Broncos execs otherwise.

Jay3
11-14-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm not buying any of the "play to lose" theories in any of their variants -- not the "We'll show the fans so they can get over it" version, not the "We'll sabotage Timmy" version, not even the "I think we will lose, but give it a try" version. I think they genuinely had this plan when they thought Orton was being traded, and then all of that got messed up. They didn't have the guts to just bench Orton and say "We're trying something." With the lockout ruining OTA's, they ran last year's system for the "audition," and had to go with the quarterback better at running it (for now). Then when Fox realized the whole season was going down the toilet with Orton, he decided to go ahead and do his secret fantasy run-Fox-ball this year.

I think virtually everything Elway has said is just a bit of brutal honesty. Maybe a little more public in the criticism than you'd want.

I do believe they thought "let's see what we have this year in Tim," but they didn't carry it further to "and let's lose."

I think there's less than meets the eye to the whole thing.

(Though part of me thinks someone in the whole chain from Elway, Fox, McCoy doesn't want to do this, I just can't figure out which one. The "run it every time" game plan does kind of feel like a backlash against orders to win with Timmy).

bendog
11-14-2011, 08:34 AM
come on. No one wants Timmy to suck and no one wants den to lose games. Get a frigging GRIP

Slightly Soiled
11-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Come on, he enjoyed winning in Arrowhead as much as anyone, he of anyone knows how hard it is for the Broncos to get a W in that place - just think in the last 2 weeks we have gotten wins in Arrowhead and the Black hole, probably the two places we want to win the most.

A win this week at Mile High and we'll have the hat trick.

edog24
11-14-2011, 08:44 AM
come on. No one wants Timmy to suck and no one wants den to lose games. Get a frigging GRIP

Yup, we are just trying to win games. And that's what we are doing: air five!

strafen
11-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Me and a few fans here have said it...
We want Tebow to throw the ball. Regardless if we're winning or not, that's a huge question on everybody's mind that we all want answered.
I want to see Tebow throw the ball ~22-27 times a game and complete at least 55% of his passes.
I thought going into the Jets game we would finally see Tebow's progression as a passer and his timing down with his receivers. We don't know jack where Tebow is as a passer from the Miami game. Nothing has been shown his progress in the last 3 weeks.
So far we haven't seen anything that we can feel good about Tim going into the next season as our QBOTF in terms of a passer.

I don't care if he's throwing under center or from the gun, I want to see passes thrown everywhere so we can gauge where he is and how confident we will be that he'll be fine...

SonOfLe-loLang
11-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Some commentator somewhere mentioned that we are the NFL version of the 2005 Phoenix Suns, and I think that's pretty smart. The really unique thing about our style of play is that, because we are the only team that runs what we do in the NFL, I bet we will dictate the style of play of every game for no other reason than teams will have to adapt on the fly because of the novelty of our running offense that is built on optioning and deception '

I say this because there's no tried and true way of stopping it because there's no basis of comparison. Yes, you can come up with a gameplan to stop Tim's various options, but this is football and muscle memory and instinct win over more often than not. When you haven't played against an offense like ours a lot, there's some trial and error to be had. If the Jets for example want to try some unique all out blitzes, this will leave them vulnerable simply because blitzes designed to stop an option are not something they've practiced much.

Having said that, the Broncos need to use this to their advantage and keep opposing defenses off balance. Running it 55 times out of various formations is not the answer. Mixing in play action (and NOT just on second down when we all know its coming) and perhaps various screens out of the options formations could go along way to doing that. Also, of course, mixing in the deep ball like they did yesterday will help.

Play to Tim's strengths, but don't strangle him. Use our uniqueness to our advantage.

ghwk
11-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Even TJ on Sportscenter said "imagine what these guys can do if Tebow can complete just 10 passes a game."

SonOfLe-loLang
11-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Even TJ on Sportscenter said "imagine what these guys can do if Tebow can complete just 10 passes a game."

BUT HE HAS. I don't understand how humans think these days. Do they only watch one game and erase the memory of all the others?

UberBroncoMan
11-14-2011, 08:57 AM

If Tebow can actually magically transform into a Steve Young type passer (even a degree less) then watch the **** out.

UberBroncoMan
11-14-2011, 08:58 AM
BUT HE HAS. I don't understand how humans think these days. Do they only watch one game and erase the memory of all the others?

TJ wasn't being statically serious. It was basically him saying, imagine if Tebow could become an NFL QB capable of seriously passing the ball.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-14-2011, 09:02 AM
TJ wasn't being statically serious. It was basically him saying, imagine if Tebow could become an NFL QB capable of seriously passing the ball.

And he has. Perhaps not consistently, but he's made all the throws. Im convinced, like most QB's, he's a rhythm guy, but our style of play generally only has him throw when his margin for error is zero (which is not exactly a recipe for success for him) At some point we're going to need to unleash him, the good thing about our rushing attack is that it SHOULD give him some easy reads and time in playaxn

Goobzilla
11-14-2011, 09:04 AM

This guy does

Elway can't wait for this clown to start losing so he can move the team in the right direction. Beating cupcakes isn't going to get this team anywhere. The beatdowns start Thursday.

UberBroncoMan
11-14-2011, 09:06 AM
And he has. Perhaps not consistently, but he's made all the throws. Im convinced, like most QB's, he's a rhythm guy, but our style of play generally only has him throw when his margin for error is zero (which is not exactly a recipe for success for him) At some point we're going to need to unleash him, the good thing about our rushing attack is that it SHOULD give him some easy reads and time in playaxn

It should. Regardless he still hasn't been a very impressive passer.

Obviously I hope for that to change.

bendog
11-14-2011, 09:09 AM
It truly amazes me how any plainly stated, honest comment by either Fox or Elway, like ... Is tebow the qb for the rest of the year? If he keeps improving, yes. Why are you running more now? Well, it suits Tebow's current skill set more than trying to pass out of the pocket 60% of the time ... has to be "we don't like Timmy."

houghtam
11-14-2011, 09:23 AM
This guy does

LOL he's not a fan. Read some of his past posts. He goes from saying "our team needs to X" to "just wait til you face my Jets D".

Honestly, not even sure why he's on this board.

ColoradoDarin
11-14-2011, 09:27 AM
LOL he's not a fan. Read some of his past posts. He goes from saying "our team needs to X" to "just wait til you face my Jets D".

he's here to troll, and that's what iggy is built for!

Kaylore
11-14-2011, 09:29 AM

Yeah I went back and literally every post he makes is a mean-spirited smear on Tebow, often times not even on topic. He's the anti-MacGruder.

"What do we need on defense?"

"I took a dump with more ability than Teblow!!!1!!"

bronco militia
11-14-2011, 09:50 AM
http://mcenter.slideshowpro.com/albums/027/935/album-281030/cache/gn190.sJPG_900_540_0_95_1_50_50.sJPG?1321291961

hater's gonna hate

enjolras
11-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Some commentator somewhere mentioned that we are the NFL version of the 2005 Phoenix Suns, and I think that's pretty smart. The really unique thing about our style of play is that, because we are the only team that runs what we do in the NFL, I bet we will dictate the style of play of every game for no other reason than teams will have to adapt on the fly because of the novelty of our running offense that is built on optioning and deception

I think we're closer to a poor mans version of the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers. Rapidly improving defense coupled with a limited mistake power running offense. We don't have the defensive talent that team had, but it sure worked for them.

enjolras
11-14-2011, 09:59 AM
"We want Tebow to throw from the pocket, but we don't necessarily want him to be a 'pocket passer'."

No one can accuse the front office of "not getting" Tebow at this point.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-14-2011, 09:59 AM
I think we're closer to a poor mans version of the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers. Rapidly improving defense coupled with a limited mistake power running offense. We don't have the defensive talent that team had, but it sure worked for them.

I agree with the suns because its a complete novelty. No one runs what we run on a consistent basis. Its harder to dictate the pace of the game when you arent completely prepared for it

maven
11-14-2011, 10:08 AM
3-1 as a starter. I think it's great Tebow is helping the team win games. Also, I expect Tebow to be unleashed (throwing a lot more) as he becomes more comfortable with the offense.

bendog
11-14-2011, 10:08 AM
No one can accuse the front office of "not getting" Tebow at this point.

But they don't really want to get it. They're forced into and clearly they hate every second of it. (-:

Mogulseeker
11-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Some interesting comments from him.

Tim managed the game very well and made the play to win the game when he had to.
Was an impressive team win for the Broncos and one of Tim's best game.
Tim didn't throw a lot because the game dictated us to run more. The bottom line is Tim and offensive line did what they had to do to get a win,
In the last four games the Broncos have the best rushing offense in the NFL. Mentioned that the lack of a real offseason put a delay on the lines getting in sync. Said the new backs on the team make a difference and of course the added dimension of Tim helps it all work together.
Lance Ball really stepped up and may have earned more playing time.
On potentially trying to win the division: We are trying to do that every week. The coaching staff was game-planning for the Jets game before and even "during" the Chiefs game.
Up to this point in time they are getting to their goal of being competitive offensively and defensively and putting Tim in the best position to be successful as a quarterback that can help the team. It's a process and they are trying to improve. Happy to go from 1-4 to 4-5 but knows there is more help and more growth needed.
Wants to build a program that will sustain itself. When dealing with a young QB and adjust an entire system on the fly, the staff has to tinker in season and its taken some time to start to put together what they needed to but very happy with the process.

On if he can win long term running 80% of your plays: "We won like that early in my career. I don't think we'll do that every game, but when it makes sense we will."
On Von Miller: "He's playing at a high level, the level we knew he could and expected for the second pick in the draft." Praised Dennis Allen for an awesome game plan and disrupting Cassel in KC.

I'll be satisfied with a similar career from Tebow. Like I said before, if Tebow could get his QB skills to just "below average" he could be lethal when combined with his run skills.

The run-and-gun is growing on me. Beat the defense down, and when they're tired, throw them the play action and get Decker wide open down field. Thomas-Decker could be lethal. They'd be blocking most of their plays, and they look pretty solid blocking - Thomas especially.

Utilize the TEs - I think Thomas is going to be a stud.

Designate Royal as the PR and throw him some screens/reverses/crossing routes.

With Lloyd gone, this offense could fit Tebow quite well.

I could see the Broncos only keeping three WRs and three TEs on active, with a couple reserves on the PS.

Mogulseeker
11-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Another thing, Tebow would be ideal for that offense until he improves his short game.

Mogulseeker
11-14-2011, 10:14 AM
http://mcenter.slideshowpro.com/albums/027/935/album-281030/cache/gn190.sJPG_900_540_0_95_1_50_50.sJPG?1321291961

hater's gonna hate

Pinstripe suit, check shirt, horizontal striped tie.

I guess when you're Elway, you can wear anything, lol.

bendog
11-14-2011, 10:18 AM
I thought he looked pretty good .... in a manly way of course. But I'm doing good to just not wear any combination of red white and blue. (not counting white socks)

CEH
11-14-2011, 10:19 AM
I think Elway and the Broncos staff are shocked at how everything is playing out. When they first started Tebow I think they wanted to show how he Wasn't a QB. Then, despite their best efforts, Tebow led that frantic comeback and beat Miami. The game plan against the Lions stunk, and I think it was their attempt to expose Tebow's lack of passing prowess. I mean, who has their QB throw a long deep out at the corner of the goal line into double coverage? When it came to playing the Raiders the Broncos decided that no one likes losing to Oakland and finally put in a game plan to suit Tebow's strengths. They did the same at KC, even though it was the most conservative game plan in the last 40 years. Yet Tebow and Denver still won.

Now that the other AFC West teams are playing .500 ball, the Broncos have finally decided that Hey, we've got a chance with Tebow! And they are going to do their best to win the division.

But regardless of what happens, even if Tebow wins every game and the Broncos make the playoffs, you can bet Elway is going to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds and/or sign a free agent QB to compete with Tebow next year. The bottom line is Elway wants a conventional QB leading his team. The pressure is still on Tebow to prove the Broncos execs otherwise.

I think what has happened to this point is it's all about winning games and not about working with Tebow on becoming a better QB. That will have to be done in the off-season if they want to go forward with Tim. Let Tim manage the game and hope the running game and defense complement each other.
If Denver ever gets behind against a quality opponent then it will be Tim's job to pass.

Vine
11-14-2011, 10:22 AM
His most telling comment on Tebow was when he said "We want Tebow to throw from the pocket, but we don't necessarily want him to be a 'pocket passer'."

I would be more encouraged if Elway said "We want Tebow to be a better pocket passer, but that don't mean we always want him in the pocket"....

bendog
11-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I would be more encouraged if Elway said "We want Tebow to be a better pocket passer, but that don't mean we always want him in the pocket"....

No. There's no qb in the nfl today who cannot throw accurately and on time from the pocket, except tebow, but not all qbs can throw outside the pocket, which tebow can do.

I'm not gonna google them up but every week Fox or Elway or both say Tebow is getting better with his mechanics. Color guy yesterday was pretty bad in game analysis, and finally I turned him off all together, but he went out of his way to quote Fox as to Tebow the competitor and hard worker making progress....

Vine
11-14-2011, 10:37 AM
No. There's no qb in the nfl today who cannot throw accurately and on time from the pocket, except tebow, but not all qbs can throw outside the pocket, which tebow can do.

I'm not gonna google them up but every week Fox or Elway or both say Tebow is getting better with his mechanics. Color guy yesterday was pretty bad in game analysis, and finally I turned him off all together, but he went out of his way to quote Fox as to Tebow the competitor and hard worker making progress....

Well, what I really meant about my statement of wanting Tebow to be a better pocket passer... better acuracy, but not always wanting Tebow in the pocket.... bootlegs and rollouts. So, improve accuracy by allowing Tebow the throw on the run.... which they haven't allowed Tebow to do very much of.

Again... bootlegs and rollouts.

strafen
11-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Bigger than life!!! :welcome::notworthy

Kaylore
11-14-2011, 10:41 AM
It took Elway and Steve Young about four years to evolve their passing game to an elite level and start leaning on their arms more than their legs. They were both better passers coming into the league than Tebow is right now, but not much better. I do think if Tebow doesn't improve significantly as a passer by the end of the year, it will not be a good sign for his long term pro career. He needs to start becoming more consistent. However everything else is "there."

bendog
11-14-2011, 10:41 AM
At this time, I think it's obvious that they don't want Tebow throwing the ball in obvious passing situations. His deep passes yesterday weren't all bad. The first to decker was a blown PI call. He got too much air under one late in the second qtr. If he's rolling out and looking to make an improvised play, more likely than not the result is not positive.

bendog
11-14-2011, 10:42 AM
It took Elway and Steve Young about four years to evolve their passing game to an elite level and start leaning on their arms more than their legs. They were both better passers coming into the league than Tebow is right now, but not much better. I do think if Tebow doesn't improve significantly as a passer by the end of the year, it will not be a good sign for his long term pro career. He needs to start becoming more consistent. However everything else is "there."

I'm back to 70-30 optimism on the kid.

Vine
11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
At this time, I think it's obvious that they don't want Tebow throwing the ball in obvious passing situations. His deep passes yesterday weren't all bad. The first to decker was a blown PI call. He got too much air under one late in the second qtr. If he's rolling out and looking to make an improvised play, more likely than not the result is not positive.

The deep ball to Royal down the right sideline was also a blown PI call. Flowers was grabbing Royals left arm, which explains why Royal was only able to reach his right hand up for the ball.

Hulamau
11-14-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the recap.

What do you expect, Elway to start slobbering all over himself??? Those were perfectly supportive, positive and realistic answers!

Seems there's no appeasing some people....

Cito Pelon
11-14-2011, 10:48 AM
"On if he can win long term running 80% of your plays: "We won like that early in my career. I don't think we'll do that every game, but when it makes sense we will."

Now the shoe is on the other foot things look a little bit different, eh? LMAO.

bendog
11-14-2011, 10:49 AM
What do you expect, Elway to start slobbering all over himself??? Those were perfectly supportive, positive and realistic answers!

Seems there's no appeasing some people....

I thought it was more a typo/slip. commit being a typo for comment. neither Elway nor Fox gives much away or gives much that can be spun by the media. They're the "anti-rex."

AlphaSeirra
11-14-2011, 11:01 AM

When Peyton Manning was signed by the Colts, they showed what supporting their choice really meant.

1. They told Peyton right up front that HE was their QB of the future and that they would built a team around him over time,
to complement his strengths.
2. They told him that he would STAY the starter no matter what his W/L record was. When he proceeded to go 3-13
as a rookie starter, they didn't bat and eye.
3. When he broke then set the new NFL Rookie Interceptions Record, they also didn't bat an eye.
4. What they did do was draft and train the BEST OL in the NFL over his first 2-3 years.
5. Drafted E.James at RB to take the pressure off of Peyton's passing game.
6. Drafted M.Harrison at WR, a Top 3 in the NFL player to get open and catch the ball.
7. Continue to develop an ENTIRE TEAM around Peyton to help him develop.
8. And AFTER ALL THAT, they/he finally won a SB, after spending 7 long years of building and working together.

What Denver has done for (to) Tebow so far, is set him back 2 season in his development as an NFL QB.

The question; 'Can Tebow be an NFL QB' is not the real question at all.

The real question is; will the Denver Bronco's ever be a Top Quality Organization ever again, or any time soon?

They should fully support Tim and build a complete TEAM around him, or do him a favor and either cut or trade him to a decent organization that will.

When I see John/Bowlen 'totally' commit to either course, then we'll know what's up for Tebow as the Bronco QB.

PS
Dumping (trading) their Top 2 2010 WR's (Gaffney & Lloyd) was a sure thing helper for Tim's completion percentage..... :welcome:

The passing game depends on EVERYONE involved in making it happen, not JUST the QB.

Tim has broken passing records and won championships at EVERY LEVEL from Pee-Wee to the College D-1 BCS-NC,
so he has already PROVEN that he can pass the ball. :notworthy

What's really to be seen here now, is can the Broncos field a complete 'TEAM' that can support ANY QB in the passing game,
OR
does Tim have to continue to carry a weak team on his back by running the ball?

Is NO ONE smart enough to understand what these stats say and mean?

Orton 58.7% ---- 8 TD's to 7 Ints - PER 75.7 W/L 1-4

Tebow 44.8% --- 7 TD's to 1 Int --- PER 81.6 - W/L 3-1

That's a 7th year Vet to a raw 7 start newbee.
That's a supposed cannon arm to a weak inaccurate arm.
That's with little to no help or support from the FO/HBC.

Many Bronco Questions to be answered, but Tebow's Arm is the least of them imoho.;)

ColoradoDarin
11-14-2011, 11:07 AM
"On if he can win long term running 80% of your plays: "We won like that early in my career. I don't think we'll do that every game, but when it makes sense we will."

Now the shoe is on the other foot things look a little bit different, eh? LMAO.

Caption for Elway on the radio, "****, looks like I need to give Dan Reeves a call and apologize just like a 'Dad, you were right'."

bendog
11-14-2011, 11:11 AM
let's just hope the staff doesn't put tebow consistently in third and long if he ever gets to where he can complete over 50% on first and second.

Mogulseeker
11-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Caption for Elway on the radio, "****, looks like I need to give Dan Reeves a call and apologize just like a 'Dad, you were right'."

Shoot... why not?

Atwater His Ass
11-14-2011, 11:50 AM
The problem will be 3rd and long and when we are behind in games. When Tebow has to pass the ball can he do it? I was laughing my ass off and enjoying the game against KC, but realisticly, we can't run that offense week in and week out. At some point you not only have to see what Tebow can do in the air, you have to give him the chance to improve. He's not going to get any better throwing the ball 8 times a game, with over half of those being drop back and let it rip long.

I don't want to be at the same point next year, wondering if Tebow can be the guy or not. Right now it entertaining, but it's just a gimmick that while easing the transition, isn't really developing him either.

titan
11-14-2011, 11:56 AM
I heard the Elway show this morning, too, and John's tone when talking about Tebow was definitely more positive than in the past. John talked about Tebow's long td pass - saying things like "that won the game", "it was a tough throw, I was standing on the sidelines and it was windy. Tim threw that ball perfectly"

It's been said to give Tebow the rest of the year and then decide if he's the qb of the future. I say give him the rest of this year AND next year. Give Tim a full offseason of working with the coaches.

bendog
11-14-2011, 12:11 PM
The problem will be 3rd and long and when we are behind in games. When Tebow has to pass the ball can he do it? I was laughing my ass off and enjoying the game against KC, but realisticly, we can't run that offense week in and week out. At some point you not only have to see what Tebow can do in the air, you have to give him the chance to improve. He's not going to get any better throwing the ball 8 times a game, with over half of those being drop back and let it rip long.

I don't want to be at the same point next year, wondering if Tebow can be the guy or not. Right now it entertaining, but it's just a gimmick that while easing the transition, isn't really developing him either.

naw. Tebow's got probably a 1-10 shot at converting 3rd and long against a good defense. He's obviously a guy who plays better than he practices (which the former mcjo****es ironically fail to see with their Hillis obsession), and that should tell people how bad those practices must have been. He's getting better; the staff says so and it's apparant.

The tebowites and the former mcjo****es all have cred vested in EFX failing, but the reality is that McCoy is a veteran qb coach, and elway knows what skills a nfl qb has to have. If Tebow keeps improving, and if he commits to a training regieme designed by the broncos, and clearly knows he'll be evaluated with criticism in the minicamps, then he'll most likely be the incumbant starter next summer and get the chance to keep the job.

I have a hard time believing that Tebow is ever going to be a guy to qb one of the top ten passing attacks, but Fox rode Delhomme and two headed tailbacks and a defense to getting into the playoffs a third of the time. I think Elway and Fox both hope for something more "offensive," but a really good team and Tebow being average statistically should be good enough to sell tickets and win some games. And that's what they want to do.

Bronco Yoda
11-14-2011, 12:41 PM

Now I'm not saying Tebow doesn't have some ugly passes because he does.

But I find it very interesting that only his bad passes are highlighted. I remember last game at one point the talking heads were harping on the fact that Tebow was 0-5 in the passing game at the time. "What were we going to do because we can't throw the ball."

First we were winning at the time. Three out of 5 of those passes were drops and another one was a throwaway.

Yet Cassel was getting all the "his receivers need to step up and catch the ball".

On the NFL network they showed Decker not coming down with that long ball in the 1st half. It was chastised as Tebow throwing it up short.

A few moments later they played a clip of Rivers this week throwing the exact same throw in near the end zone. But this time it was "The Reciever really needs to go up and fight for the ball on that one."

During the last couple games we've seen (i'm approximating here) a 3-1 ratio of dropped passes vs. bad passes... yet you don't see the commentators talking about the drops. You don't see any of the clips recapping the game showing a long ball drop or critical 3rd down drive killing drop. You don't hear about the WR's not getting open when the play breaks down. Nope, only the pass that got away from him get's the clip. Only the raw numbers without any particular circumstances weighted in.

I just find it a little interesting.

bendog
11-14-2011, 12:46 PM
And GB got laughed at for drafting Rodgers, the Saints were the only team crazy enough to take a chance on Breese's shoulder, Eli was never really focused enough and just didn't seem to care that much, Stafford's a gimp ... there's no conspiracy.

bronco militia
11-14-2011, 01:12 PM
, the Saints were the only team crazy enough to take a chance on Breese's shoulder, .

not true.

Miami balked at Brees's counter offer he got from the Saints

bendog
11-14-2011, 01:21 PM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2009/10/let-me-just-say-this-dolphins-coach-nick-saban-said-wednesday-in-addressing-the-subject-directly-for-the-first-time-it-wa.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4582971

bronco militia
11-14-2011, 01:24 PM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2009/10/let-me-just-say-this-dolphins-coach-nick-saban-said-wednesday-in-addressing-the-subject-directly-for-the-first-time-it-wa.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=schefter_adam&id=4582971

yeah, three teams made offers.

vonqkilla
11-14-2011, 01:32 PM
John wasnt a scrub rookie when he got into it w/ Reeves.

He was an NFL MVP.

John is the only guy I would trust to can Tebow next offseason.

WWJD?

bendog
11-14-2011, 01:59 PM
yeah, three teams made offers.

yeah, but mia lowballed him because of the medical issue and SD low balled him to get him out of town. He wanted Mia, but Payton was the only guy who bought in all the way and guaranteed him 8 million with another 10 million option. I thought Payton was crazy at the time. But after they'd given millions to Brooks under Haslett and before that the whole Ricky Williams fiasco with Ditka .....

AlphaSeirra
11-16-2011, 08:59 AM
naw. Tebow's got probably a 1-10 shot at converting 3rd and long against a good defense. He's obviously a guy who plays better than he practices (which the former mcjo****es ironically fail to see with their Hillis obsession), and that should tell people how bad those practices must have been. He's getting better; the staff says so and it's apparant.

The tebowites and the former mcjo****es all have cred vested in EFX failing, but the reality is that McCoy is a veteran qb coach, and elway knows what skills a nfl qb has to have. If Tebow keeps improving, and if he commits to a training regieme designed by the broncos, and clearly knows he'll be evaluated with criticism in the minicamps, then he'll most likely be the incumbant starter next summer and get the chance to keep the job.

I have a hard time believing that Tebow is ever going to be a guy to qb one of the top ten passing attacks, but Fox rode Delhomme and two headed tailbacks and a defense to getting into the playoffs a third of the time. I think Elway and Fox both hope for something more "offensive," but a really good team and Tebow being average statistically should be good enough to sell tickets and win some games. And that's what they want to do.

IF Tebow keeps on improving you claim? WTF ???
Idiot! Tebow has digressed since 2010 imo, and that's the FO/HBC's fault.

Haters and/or doubters abound here, nuttin' new imo.
But apparently Elway doesn't agree with them (anymore).

Elway talked about Tebow's long td pass - saying things like:
"that WON the game",
"it was a tough throw,"
"I was standing on the sidelines and it was windy."
"Tim threw that ball perfectly."
So, is John becoming a Tebowite :notworthy,
or is he just admitting what anyone with a functioning brain could observe for themselves? ;)

That one throw PROVES that Tim CAN throw the ball, deep and accurate. That, or you believe that a very
stong wind caught that particular ball and Gawd then directed it down field to the double covered receiver. :wiggle:
=============

Someone claimed that Elway and S.Young were much better passers when they arrived in the NFL than Tebow was.

>>> Well, I'm calling BS on that bogus claim. <<<

1. Show me their College Stats (before arriving in the NFL).
2. Show me the game stats for their 1st Start as an NFL QB.
Either show their stats/records so we can all compare them, or own up to just being FoS, as usual. :wave:

Tim arrived from the SEC/UF with 2 SEC-C's and 2 BCS-NC's, and the 1st Soph Heisman.
He had a 66.7% rate, 88 TD's to 16 Ints, and the SEC All Time Career Record PER 170.79.

Tim's first NFL start was about as DISADVANTAGED as it could get.
ZERO 1st team practice snaps for 13 games, then thrown in cold in game 14.
Tebow made his first NFL start against a Raider team that was still in the playoff hunt.
Tebow had the highest passer rating in the history of the Denver Broncos for a professional QB's debut (100.5).

Quotes from the DP after Tim's 1st 3 starts to end the 2010 season:
"The facts show that Tim Tebow is ahead of many of the NFL's greatest QB's at this point in his career,
and that the Broncos are more competitive with Tebow at QB than with Kyle Orton."

~ But that didn't stop the Broncos from chitting Tim to start off his 2nd, 'Best Chance to Win' season. (the DP article explains this)

"In his last 12 quarters of 2010 regular season football, Orton has thrown for one TD pass, been sacked 10 times, lost 3 fumbles,
rushed for 18 yards and no TD's, and put a total of 39 points on the board.
>> In his last 12 quarters, Tebow has thrown 4 TD passes, been sacked six times, rushed for 199 yards and 3 TD's,
and did not lose a fumble.
With Tebow at QB, the Broncos scored almost twice as many points as they did under (best chance to win) Orton (75-39)."

"In his three regular season NFL starts, Tebow outperformed Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Steve Young, Troy Aikman
and John Elway in their first three starts. Tebow did all that while leading a 3-10 team that had nothing left to play for,
a team that had lost eight of its last nine games with Orton at QB."

"Tebow's NFL rating of 82.70 is more than double that of Aikman (38.43) and Elway (38.53), and superior to Brady's (77.23).

>>> Data kept by the NFL also blows up the >media(moron)-created myth< that Tebow can't pass. <<<

In his three starts, Tebow threw for more yards (651) than Brady (618) or Elway (313). Manning threw for 32 more yards than Tebow,
but it took him 33 more attempts to do it. Tebow also threw for more TD's than the other five QB's."

"In addition to being a better passer, Tebow also ran for 3 TD's, one a game-winner, while the other 5 QB's did not run for a single TD."

For those with a weak and/or 'selective' memory on things concerning Tim Tebow, use the below link to go back and read
the entire Denver Post article.

IMOHO, it is an EXCELLENT article and it's FACTUAL in presentation.

That or keep on believing the bs that the ignorant twits like ole bendog drivel out daily along with the usual Media Morons..... :nutkick

Read more: Facts sack Tebow critics - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_18913528#ixzz1dst2ka6N

Shotgun Willie
11-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Idiot! Tebow has digressed since 2010 imo,

unintentional comedy alert

AlphaSeirra
11-16-2011, 09:15 AM
unintentional comedy alert

intentional lack of substance or the ability to make any intelligent reply to the facts in my post :P

edit: Plus you (intentionally left out?) the rest of that sentence which included the best part;

"Idiot! Tebow has digressed since 2010 imo, and that's the FO/HBC's fault."