PDA

View Full Version : Colts are on the clock: Pick Luck?

Jesterhole
11-13-2011, 04:18 PM
So with Miami winning today, the Colts pretty much have a strangle hold on the number one overall pick.

You're the Colts. What do you do? Can you really tie up that much money into the QB position? Manning is the highest paid NFL player, and Luck will get #1 money. Yet, how many years does Manning have left? He is 35 now. Maybe he plays another 3 years at a high level. Maybe.

Kind of unfair that they would get the best QB to come our of college since Manning himself.

If I'm the Colts, I try and trade Manning for as much as possible and pick Luck. Even with Peyton, the Colts are an awful team. They need to rebuild anyway, and it doesn't make sense to pay him 25 million a year when you're trying to put a team back together. Pick Luck, start your rebuild, and dump that ridiculous contract off if you can.

The question then is, which team would want him?

oubronco
11-13-2011, 04:20 PM
You jump all over Luck and be happy for years to come

teknic
11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
So with Miami winning today, the Colts pretty much have a strangle hold on the number one overall pick.

You're the Colts. What do you do? Can you really tie up that much money into the QB position? Manning is the highest paid NFL player, and Luck will get #1 money. Yet, how many years does Manning have left? He is 35 now. Maybe he plays another 3 years at a high level. Maybe.

Kind of unfair that they would get the best QB to come our of college since Manning himself.

If I'm the Colts, I try and trade Manning for as much as possible and pick Luck. Even with Peyton, the Colts are an awful team. They need to rebuild anyway, and it doesn't make sense to pay him 25 million a year when you're trying to put a team back together. Pick Luck, start your rebuild, and dump that ridiculous contract off if you can.

Did you not hear about the rookie wage scale?

And also, Manning isn't guaranteed to ever play again. He doesn't need the money, he has already won, and the Colts are bad. If his neck is as bad as I've read, he'd be smart to walk away from the game with his health.

If the Colts have the #1 pick, they're taking Luck. They know the value of a franchise QB.

Archer81
11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
If Manning's injury has shown the Colts anything, is that they have an older team that is too small. I would trade the pick to fill other holes. Eventually Manning will be gone, and then you will have a good QB and a talent deficient team around him.

:Broncos:

bronco militia
11-13-2011, 04:22 PM
there's no way the colts can trade manning with that injury and contract. The colts will be held hostage until a doctor rules he can play

broncocalijohn
11-13-2011, 04:24 PM
You jump all over Luck and be happy for years to come

No doubt. I don't think Colts or most teams can pass on him if they had the opportunity to draft him. I don't think as many need to sell the bank as they already have good starters now but the Colts cannot be sure how far Manning goes. 49ers dumped Montana for Young and I didnt see too much of a drop off and had a younger player to boot. Luck will be a good QB in the NFL. Even if he sits for two years, he is worth it.

go_broncos
11-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Luck will be a bust..

teknic
11-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Luck will be a bust..

That depends on how you define bust.

If you mean he will never live up to his expectations, that's pretty likely. From what all the draft analysts are saying about him, he should have the physical talents of Elway, and the intelligence and precision of Manning... right out of college.

I think Luck will end up being a great QB, but he's going to have a hard time living up to the expectations people have for him, especially if he's drafted by a bad team.

DrFate
11-13-2011, 04:46 PM
ESPN started chatter a couple weeks ago about the potential of trading Manning. The Colts are in an interesting position, no doubt.

Would a team like the Redskins take a flyer on 3 or 4 years of Manning? (if he's healthy)

TheChamp24
11-13-2011, 04:55 PM
I'd almost be willing to bet Manning is done. Just think, he could be close to being paralyzed. Why risk it?

ColoradoDarin
11-13-2011, 05:02 PM
ESPN started chatter a couple weeks ago about the potential of trading Manning. The Colts are in an interesting position, no doubt.

Would a team like the Redskins take a flyer on 3 or 4 years of Manning? (if he's healthy)

Can you imagine Shanahan coaching Manning? Instantly one of the best teams in the NFC.

That One Guy
11-13-2011, 05:03 PM
The catch is if they dedicate the #1 overall to another QB and Manning doesn't come back, they have a rookie as the starter or pick up a journeyman. If they do the latter, the coaches get blamed when he inevitably loses. If they do the former, the coaches probably catch blame if they even make it out of this season without getting fired.

If you're the coach of Indy and you want to preserve your job, you just hope Manning coming back healthy. That team had too high expectations to go into a rebuild mode if they can avoid it.

That One Guy
11-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Can you imagine Shanahan coaching Manning? Instantly one of the best teams in the NFC.

My thoughts as well. And it'd be ironic given how many times Manning ruined Denver's hopes. The question would simply be if the Shanahans would be content letting him run his own offense. I assume they would because he's Manning but if we learned anything through the many iterations of "Shanny's Doghouse", it's that he has a bit of an ego.

GreatBronco16
11-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I said it from the beginning of the season. Colts will get Luck, and Manning will go on to retire only to become the next greatest OC for Indy.

I still won't forget that one game where they showed him in the booth with the headset on and playsheet in front of him, with the other coach standing behind with a WTF look.

Hamrob
11-13-2011, 05:22 PM
You jump all over Luck and be happy for years to comeI agree...Luck is almost as talented a player as TEBOW!!!! :strong:

RaiderH8r
11-13-2011, 05:25 PM
What happens when somebody goes Ditka and offers three years worth of picks for the number one slot? You can build a team like that. Bottom line, Indy is in a pretty good spot...except for the sucking part. But later..then things will be all good.

Hamrob
11-13-2011, 05:28 PM
If Favre can play until he's 42. And, he played pretty damn well...even for the Vikings. Then, Manning can at least play until he is 40.

Manning hardly ever gets hit. If his neck heals, then he's good to go for at least 3-5 years.

I don't see the Colts trading away Manning, and I don't see Manning allowing the Colts to draft Luck while he is there. His argument is simple...this team sucks and I need players that can help now...not be my backup.

Therefore, I see the Colts trading out of the #1 pick...for a kings ransom. I just hope we don't mortgage our future for Luck. It will take 3 #1's plus to get him.

HAT
11-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Yes....And the Skins will take Barkley at #2. Right Rev?

Sassy
11-13-2011, 05:41 PM
If Favre can play until he's 42. And, he played pretty damn well...even for the Vikings. Then, Manning can at least play until he is 40.

Manning hardly ever gets hit. If his neck heals, then he's good to go for at least 3-5 years.

I don't see the Colts trading away Manning, and I don't see Manning allowing the Colts to draft Luck while he is there. His argument is simple...this team sucks and I need players that can help now...not be my backup.

Therefore, I see the Colts trading out of the #1 pick...for a kings ransom. I just hope we don't mortgage our future for Luck. It will take 3 #1's plus to get him.

Manning risking another neck injury by playing would be just stupid on his part...

baja
11-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Manning doesn't need coaching.

He's his own OC.

OBF1
11-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Man you guys over sell shannahan, What has he done with the skins team to show he still has anything left to his "Plan" Washington has lost 5 in a row including the eagles, miami, carolina and buffalo.

6-10 in 2010
3-6 in 2011

Very less than average if you ask me, but as long as he gets to spend snyders money and not bowlens, I am fine with it.

That One Guy
11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Man you guys over sell shannahan, What has he done with the skins team to show he still has anything left to his "Plan" Washington has lost 5 in a row including the eagles, miami, carolina and buffalo.

6-10 in 2010
3-6 in 2011

Very less than average if you ask me, but as long as he gets to spend snyders money and not bowlens, I am fine with it.

Nobody knew the issues with McNabb were as bad as they turned out to be.

The experiment with Beck at QB probably went better in their minds. Give him a good QB and that team is a completely different story. That D isn't bad and gets after the QB well.

Shotgun Willie
11-13-2011, 06:59 PM
there's no way the colts can trade manning with that injury and contract. The colts will be held hostage until a doctor rules he can play

Ummm, one of the pregame shows specified today that the Colts structured the deal in such a way that they can cut or trade him at the end of the year and owe him nothing more on that deal. It's essentially only a one year deal and the rest of the contract voids unless they pick up his option at the end of this season.

cutthemdown
11-13-2011, 07:04 PM
If Manning can play selecting Luck would put him on bench maybe 2 yrs, it's doable, just like Rodgers. But could you imagine if they traded manning? You would think a team like vikings or skins would go for it.

OBF1
11-13-2011, 07:05 PM
All anyone needs to do is look back a few years to the Packers... Favre leading the team, then pick this kid named Aaron Rodgers in the 1st round. Sat him on the bench for 3 years and today he is the best QB in the NFL.

No way Indy will pass on Luck with an injured, soon to be 36 year old qb playing basically without a contract for 2012.

PS: shanny has hit his experation date in the NFL... he and a few of his "fans" just do not know it yet.

Rohirrim
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Indy is going from 10 and 6 to 0 and 16. The league should take the pick away from them. Polian is pulling some ****.

That One Guy
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
All anyone needs to do is look back a few years to the Packers... Favre leading the team, then pick this kid named Aaron Rodgers in the 1st round. Sat him on the bench for 3 years and today he is the best QB in the NFL.

No way Indy will pass on Luck with an injured, soon to be 36 year old qb playing basically without a contract for 2012.

PS: shanny has hit his experation date in the NFL... he and a few of his "fans" just do not know it yet.

Rodgers at the bottom of the 1st and Luck with the 1st overall? Exact same situation. Good call.

OBF1
11-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Rodgers at the bottom of the 1st and Luck with the 1st overall? Exact same situation. Good call.

Hey Shanny NUTHUGGER... please show me where I said EXACT same situation??? I said "IN THE FIRST ROUND" AR was the 23rd overall pick miss shannahan.

Like I said, your nose is so far up shanny's ass, you can not read a complete post

HAT
11-13-2011, 07:21 PM

Agree with 99% of this but I don't think the Luck/Manning & Favre/Rodgers comparison holds much water. Yes, Favre was getting older but he wasn't battling a career threatening injury.....And Rodgers fell in their lap due to a big draft day slide.

In other words....Rodgers was a luxury pick. That won't be the case when & if the Colts draft Luck.

bronco militia
11-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Ummm, one of the pregame shows specified today that the Colts structured the deal in such a way that they can cut or trade him at the end of the year and owe him nothing more on that deal. It's essentially only a one year deal and the rest of the contract voids unless they pick up his option at the end of this season.

so they are going to cut him before March 2012 after the doctors have cleared him to play, or they are going to trade him before the deadline and and his new team is going to take on the contract after a large portion has become guaranteed?

I seriously doubt it

That One Guy
11-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey Shanny NUTHUGGER... please show me where I said EXACT same situation??? I said "IN THE FIRST ROUND" AR was the 23rd overall pick miss shannahan.

Like I said, your nose is so far up shanny's ass, you can not read a complete post

:kiss:

The two aren't comparable at all. Nice try making it personal, though.

teknic
11-13-2011, 07:34 PM

6-10 in 2010
3-6 in 2011

I hope you're not forgetting how great Shanahan was for the Broncos. He was great at the simple things that John Fox is not like managing the clock and timeout use. He had exciting offensive gameplans that were quite effective and difficult to predict. He had a great eye for offensive talent, although he had his share of misses like Lelie. He wasn't afraid to make the bold decisions like going for 2 after Cutler amended for his fumble that Hochuli reversed, or drafting Maurice Clarett (I just looked the guy up, he's playing in the UFL now apparently. Maybe the Broncos should call him up for a tryout if McGahee and Moreno are hurt) when all logic said to stay away.

But the thing I'll miss most about Shanahan is the scripted opening drives. How great was it knowing that if the Broncos won the toss, they were going to score on their first drive almost every time? The play calls were exciting and very complimentary, using a good mix of runs and passes and setting up the big play.

Shanahan had his issues as a coach, and could never fix the defense after Coyer left, but I wish he were still the coach of the Broncos.

HAT
11-13-2011, 07:40 PM
but I wish he were still the coach of the Broncos.

Hilarious!

teknic
11-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Hilarious!

Just imagine me with a single tear in my eye as I typed that.:(

Seriously though, do you not think the team would have been in the playoffs by now if Shanahan were coach and the 08-09 offense was still intact?

HAT
11-13-2011, 08:03 PM

Seriously though, do you not think the team would have been in the playoffs by now if Shanahan were coach and the 09 offense was still intact?

Seriously...Not for one second.

Without Shanny, Denver went 8-8, 4-12 & most likely back to 8-8.

Would the 4-12 season have happened? 99% not but they'd still be mired in complacency and that douchebag Cutler would still be here.

I loved Shanahan up until 2004 or so but as CBF1 said....He's past his NFL expiration date & was certainly past his Bronco expiration date.

It's well established that teams with 10+ year tenured coaches are at a significant disadvantage when it comes to championship chances.

That One Guy
11-13-2011, 08:12 PM

Would the 4-12 season have happened? 99% not but they'd still be mired in complacency and that douchebag Cutler would still be here.

I loved Shanahan up until 2004 or so but as CBF1 said....He's past his NFL expiration date & was certainly past his Bronco expiration date.

It's well established that teams with 10+ year tenured coaches are at a significant disadvantage when it comes to championship chances.

Tenured coaches offer stability and don't often seem to get those top picks in the draft. Indy built on top 5 picks, SD (who had all the potential in the world but mentally failed) built on top picks... Really, NE and maybe Pitt are the only ones not to have a top pick in recent memory that truly built a consistently strong team that I can think of.

Not saying you're wrong but there's other factors as well.

Gort
11-13-2011, 08:15 PM

Shanny has been a bust in DC. i think the game has left him behind. he's not an elite coach anymore. he hasn't been since the mid 2000's.

teknic
11-13-2011, 08:25 PM

You can't put the performance of the team after he left on Shanahan. McDaniels completely blew up that offense, starting by trading away the star piece. Gone were Cutler, Marshall, Hillis and Scheffler, and Royal hasn't made an impact since Shanny left. All the Broncos would have needed on offense was a HB, and since the Broncos never drafted one early, they would have had a lot of early picks to overhaul the defense instead of unnecessarily rebuild the offense.

HAT
11-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Not saying you're wrong but there's other factors as well.

Of course there are other factors....That's the whole point.

SB Champ/Coach/Years with that team

Packers / McCarthy / 6th year
Saints / Payton / 5th year
Steelers / Tomlin / 2nd year
Giants / Coughlin / 4th year
colts / Dungy / 5th
pitt / Cowher / 13th
NE / Bellicheck / 5th
NE / Bellicheck / 4th
TB / Gruden / 1st
NE / Bellicheck / 2nd
Balt / Billick / 2nd
Stl / Dick4meal / 3rd
Den / Shanny / 4th
Den / Shanny / 3rd
GB / Holmgren / 5th
Dal / Switzer / 2nd
SF / Siefert / 6th
Dal / JJ / 5th
Dal / JJ / 4th
Wash / Gibbs / 11th
NYG / Parcells / 8th
SF / Siefert / 1st
SF / Walsh / 10th

HAT
11-13-2011, 08:31 PM
You can't put the performance of the team after he left on Shanahan. .

I wasn't trying to.

McDaniels made some mistakes and I hated the Fox hire from day 1.....But Bowlen absolutely made the right move firing Shanny. Just because they haven't found the correct replacement doesn't make it a mistake.

teknic
11-13-2011, 08:37 PM
I wasn't trying to.

McDaniels made some mistakes and I hated the Fox hire from day 1.....But Bowlen absolutely made the right move firing Shanny. Just because they haven't found the correct replacement doesn't make it a mistake.

I don't think it was the right decision to fire Shanahan at the time, but Fox is the guy who I wanted to be hired after McDaniels was fired. I was intrigued by Koetter, but I thought the veteran coach Fox would be the best candidate to stabilize the franchise. I still support Fox as a coach, and don't regret the hire, but everything isn't coming up aces either.

That One Guy
11-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Of course there are other factors....That's the whole point.

SB Champ/Coach/Years with that team

Packers / McCarthy / 6th year
Saints / Payton / 5th year
Steelers / Tomlin / 2nd year
Giants / Coughlin / 4th year
colts / Dungy / 5th
pitt / Cowher / 13th
NE / Bellicheck / 5th
NE / Bellicheck / 4th
TB / Gruden / 1st
NE / Bellicheck / 2nd
Balt / Billick / 2nd
Stl / Dick4meal / 3rd
Den / Shanny / 4th
Den / Shanny / 3rd
GB / Holmgren / 5th
Dal / Switzer / 2nd
SF / Siefert / 6th
Dal / JJ / 5th
Dal / JJ / 4th
Wash / Gibbs / 11th
NYG / Parcells / 8th
SF / Siefert / 1st
SF / Walsh / 10th

That is a quite interesting trend overall.

My theory was that one coach does poorly, gets a few talented players but doesn't get enough time to develop that talent before he gets bumped and someone else falls in on a roster of high draft picks. I can think of a few examples but I look at the list you gave for recent memory and it seems stud QB or dominant D & running game are the answer - no matter how you get it. Guess the high picks theory doesn't stack up.

Crushaholic
11-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Shanny has been a bust in DC. i think the game has left him behind. he's not an elite coach anymore. he hasn't been since the mid 2000's.

agreed...Shanahan STILL can't win without Elway. His HOF prospects are dimming every week...

TheChamp24
11-14-2011, 05:35 AM
so they are going to cut him before March 2012 after the doctors have cleared him to play, or they are going to trade him before the deadline and and his new team is going to take on the contract after a large portion has become guaranteed?

I seriously doubt it

The bolded part may never happen. He is a long shot to come back, I mean we are talking about neck damage/nerve damage. He might not even be able to throw a deep pass.

This does show you that the Colts were built entirely around Peyton Manning and him gone shows how vulnerable the team is.

Gort
11-14-2011, 05:56 AM
I wasn't trying to.

if i recall correctly, it wasn't only Shanny's performance as HC. it was that he was insubordinate to Bowlen and was acting as if he were the top boss of the organization. that's why Bowlen canned him. Shanny then responded petulantly by taking time off, knowing that Bowlen would be stuck paying another 3 years of his coaching contract to him. also, i believe there were some articles at the time alluding to the fact that these 2 longtime friends now no longer speak. funny isn't it... Shanny left Oakland on bad terms. Shanny left Denver on bad terms. i predict he'll leave Washington on bad terms as well.

Gort
11-14-2011, 05:58 AM
The bolded part may never happen. He is a long shot to come back, I mean we are talking about neck damage/nerve damage. He might not even be able to throw a deep pass.

This does show you that the Colts were built entirely around Peyton Manning and him gone shows how vulnerable the team is.

i'm 90% convinced that Irsay and the Colts GM decided behind closed doors to take a mulligan on this season and that it wouldn't be so bad to go 0-16 and draft Luck as the QB heir apparent.

have they made any front office moves that imply that they've been making an effort not to lose every game? i know they signed Collins, but has he even played yet?

That One Guy
11-14-2011, 07:13 AM
i'm 90% convinced that Irsay and the Colts GM decided behind closed doors to take a mulligan on this season and that it wouldn't be so bad to go 0-16 and draft Luck as the QB heir apparent.

have they made any front office moves that imply that they've been making an effort not to lose every game? i know they signed Collins, but has he even played yet?

I'm pretty sure Collins got IR'd.

Shotgun Willie
11-14-2011, 07:16 AM

I seriously doubt it

The Skins would take him off their hands in less than one second. How can there be any doubt?

DrFate
11-14-2011, 07:22 AM

That team isn't too bad - except at QB. Add a quality guy under center and they should compete for the division against all the schizo teams like Dallas, NYG, and Philly.

bowtown
11-14-2011, 07:24 AM
The Redskins are horrible.

DrFate
11-14-2011, 07:25 AM

This comparison isn't (and hasn't been, and won't be) valid. Rodgers was taken #22. Luck will be taken #1.

Name the last #1 overall pick who rode the pine for multiple years. The closest thing I can find from the last 25 years is Carson Palmer, who sat a year behind Kitna.

No way they draft Luck and sit him for multiple years.

bowtown
11-14-2011, 07:27 AM
This comparison isn't (and hasn't been, and won't be) valid. Rodgers was taken #22. Luck will be taken #1.

Name the last #1 overall pick who rode the pine for multiple years. The closest thing I can find from the last 25 years is Carson Palmer, who sat a year behind Kitna.

Things are a little different now with the rookie pay scale. You couldn't really sit a #1 QB for very long under the old CBA, because his salary was so high. You couldn't afford to have that much money wrapped up in 2 starting NFL QBs.

That One Guy
11-14-2011, 07:31 AM

Did Eli make it a whole season behind whatshisface?

Rivers sat multiple at 3.

I completely agree with you, I was just seeing if I could come up with any.

edog24
11-14-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't think trading Peyton is a viable option. Too many risks and his contract is insane. I also don't think the Colts should tie their future to him with all the neck issues and all.

I am glad I don't have to be making the decision on who to draft for that team. They have lots of holes, and an aging injured qb with a superstar legacy that drives his price out of the ballpark to make him tradeable.

DrFate
11-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Things are a little different now with the rookie pay scale. You couldn't really sit a #1 QB for very long under the old CBA, because his salary was so high. You couldn't afford to have that much money wrapped up in 2 starting NFL QBs.

I think this is a good point, but I still can't see a team playing $20+ mil to have a guy sit. Also, when you have a finite career, I'd think a guy like Luck would want to start padding his resume.

DrFate
11-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Rivers sat multiple at 3.

I didn't realize Rivers sat 2 full years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Rivers

Makes you wonder what they were thinking to blow those picks on a QB when they had Brees.

UberBroncoMan
11-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Yeah, Shanahan seems done. Seems he was never able to evolve with the game.

As for Luck, of course the Colts take him.

Sucks for us. Was hoping he'd go NFC to Seattle.

I bet we were hoping Tebow would tear it up a bit so we could trade him as a part of a package to get Luck from a team with a QB already like St. Louis.

DrFate
11-14-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't think trading Peyton is a viable option. Too many risks and his contract is insane.

There was some talk that the Colts could cut him loose after the initial season and not be on the hook for any more money. Not sure how that works re: a trade, however.

broncocalijohn
11-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Luck will be a bust..

OABB will like to double or nothing on this bet. I wont bet you but I would love to remember this post to rub it in your face. Luck is going to be a stud.

razorwire77
11-14-2011, 07:49 PM
This is a win/win for Indy. God I hate that team.

They either draft Luck and trade Manning to a gullible franchise desperate for a franchise QB (Washington) for a couple of firsts, or a first and a player.

Or they Keep Manning, find a gullible franchise desperate to draft a franchise QB, and they trade the rights to Luck to get every one of that teams high draft picks through 2034, and probably some quality players thrown in too. Then they try to reload for one more run.

Hell, worst case Manning is done, retires and they still get to draft one of the most promising QB draft prospects in history.

**** them in the eye.

maven
11-14-2011, 08:15 PM
I believe Indy has a $28 million option bonus due to Peyton in March. Yep, he's gone. Welcome to Indy, Luck.

Tombstone RJ
11-14-2011, 08:17 PM

I wouldn't trade much for Manning if I was another team, not because he's washed up, but because he has a neck injury. That's some dicey stuff and Manning is not going to play if he thinks there's even the slightest of chances he could be permanently paralyzed.

The cults are stuck with Manning. They've paid he a boat load of money and now they can eat it for all I care.

maven
11-14-2011, 08:24 PM
but because he has a neck injury. That's some dicey stuff and Manning is not going to play if he thinks there's even the slightest of chances he could be permanently paralyzed.

Plus, I think I read with the surgery he did have it will not be 100% back. He should call it quits.

Tombstone RJ
11-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Seriously though, do you not think the team would have been in the playoffs by now if Shanahan were coach and the 08-09 offense was still intact?

nope, 'cause the Broncos defense would still suck.