PDA

View Full Version : Take-home messages

gyldenlove
11-13-2011, 04:31 PM
So we have won 2 in a row, we are right in it in the AFC West and it comes down to 2 things, in fact the 2 things we needed to improve and very 2 things that are the foundation of every championship team the last decade: draft picks and opportunity.

Today we saw a long list of recent Broncos draft picks make an impact, Von Miller obviously headlines the list with his monster effort, Ayers had a very solid game on the ground, Marcus Thomas made some plays, DJ Williams had some plays, Quinton Carter looked solid all day, Tebow and the offensive line really created a lot of space for the run game, Decker with a huge catch and Royal who would have hauled in a deep ball at the end of the 2nd quarter if not for a blatant interference call that was missed.

I know we are not running the most advanced offensive scheme in the world, but the coaching staff is doing a good job of getting our young players involved and giving them shots at making a difference and more often than not they are responding. This is not a team being carried by free agents, there are a few making big impacts but the core of the team consists of Denver draft picks.

The second key factor in the recent wins has been opportunity, success is all about creating and taking advantage of opportunity. You only get so many shots at turnovers in a game, you only get so many shots are going down field for huge plays, you only get so many plays in the red zone. You have to take advantage of opportunity, we scored in the red zone, we went hard in the pass rush to create errant passes and most importantly we limited the exposure to turnover possibilities and huge plays against us. Some will call this conservative coaching and to some extend it is, but it is also very much about knowing when to hold em and when to fold em, and in the recent wins we have had we have shown remarkable gamesmanship in when to let it all ride and when to cash in and walk away.

There are still flaws, and there is still room for improvement, but I bet if you ask people in Green Bay they will say the same thing. At the end of the day, this team right now today, has shown a growth and level of performance that we could not reasonably expect, players who were written off or thought to have peaked are showing improvement, players who are young and shouldn't be relied on to be major parts of the team are stepping up and performing and most importantly the team is limiting exposure to opportunity against and making the most of opportunities when they show themselves.

strafen
11-13-2011, 04:37 PM
We're playing well.
We're winning.
We're in the thick of things in the AFC West.
It hasn't been pretty, it hasn't been in a way most people, including myself like to see things get done, but can't argue with success...

For us to be able to compete, we've got to get Tebow to throw the ball more.
Like I've said earlier, 20-25 passes a game, just enough to get a rythm going, just enough for the guy to improve in passing the ball, that's all.

BTW, thanks for starting a good thread. Too much b!tching all over the place here today...

Chris
11-13-2011, 04:53 PM
I have to give credit to Fox because I think he's assembled a staff that is maximising the potential of our players, which isn't something we've had for some time.

Que
11-13-2011, 04:53 PM
If there is a grain or two of truth in the notion that the spread option matches up very favorably against defensive units built for pass heavy offenses, then I am A OK with what we've seen the last two weeks. I don't pretend to understand it but you can't argue with the results.

Let's just say for a moment that this is in fact true and to truly combat it, you need different personnel. And let's also say that EFX is going to turn this into an art form. This is going to be the prototypical Broncos O for the foreseeable future. Let's also just say that the Broncos, deploying this system, are going to be competitive. Let's just say all of that is true.. mmmm kay?

Question: How bad does it SUCK to be another team in the AFC West knowing you are going to have to see that twice a year. You have to decide whether to counter it in your personnel decisions or just roll the dice and hope your O can win. You counter, and it hurts you against the rest of your schedule. You don't and you have to deal with what Oakland and KC just swallowed.

Heh.

GB2

NYBroncoManiac
11-13-2011, 05:03 PM
I love this post. There is a possibility that the Broncos are on to something here.... And how fun would that be?!?!?!

strafen
11-13-2011, 06:48 PM
My only concern is that we still don't know much more about Tebow's ability to play QB in the NFL anymore than we were 5 weeks ago.
I love what I've seen about his intangibles and perseverence.
He has a strong drive to succeed and win games, and I think that's what we've learned so far, not that we didn't already know that...

Can he put in a situation where he can start growing as a passer?
For us to see also. I think if he can grow into being our QBOTF that we need to see him passing the ball more. We've as an offense need to be multi-dimensional.

We ran the ball at will today, and who knows had Willis not gone down how much more effecient we could've been, but the fact is we went stagnant towards the end of the first half.
We ran the ball well, but we weren't scoring points!
So that's when you need a passing game to bail you out of a bad situation.

broncswin
11-13-2011, 06:51 PM
So we have won 2 in a row, we are right in it in the AFC West and it comes down to 2 things, in fact the 2 things we needed to improve and very 2 things that are the foundation of every championship team the last decade: draft picks and opportunity.

Today we saw a long list of recent Broncos draft picks make an impact, Von Miller obviously headlines the list with his monster effort, Ayers had a very solid game on the ground, Marcus Thomas made some plays, DJ Williams had some plays, Quinton Carter looked solid all day, Tebow and the offensive line really created a lot of space for the run game, Decker with a huge catch and Royal who would have hauled in a deep ball at the end of the 2nd quarter if not for a blatant interference call that was missed.

I know we are not running the most advanced offensive scheme in the world, but the coaching staff is doing a good job of getting our young players involved and giving them shots at making a difference and more often than not they are responding. This is not a team being carried by free agents, there are a few making big impacts but the core of the team consists of Denver draft picks.

The second key factor in the recent wins has been opportunity, success is all about creating and taking advantage of opportunity. You only get so many shots at turnovers in a game, you only get so many shots are going down field for huge plays, you only get so many plays in the red zone. You have to take advantage of opportunity, we scored in the red zone, we went hard in the pass rush to create errant passes and most importantly we limited the exposure to turnover possibilities and huge plays against us. Some will call this conservative coaching and to some extend it is, but it is also very much about knowing when to hold em and when to fold em, and in the recent wins we have had we have shown remarkable gamesmanship in when to let it all ride and when to cash in and walk away.

There are still flaws, and there is still room for improvement, but I bet if you ask people in Green Bay they will say the same thing. At the end of the day, this team right now today, has shown a growth and level of performance that we could not reasonably expect, players who were written off or thought to have peaked are showing improvement, players who are young and shouldn't be relied on to be major parts of the team are stepping up and performing and most importantly the team is limiting exposure to opportunity against and making the most of opportunities when they show themselves.

Rep to that GL ^5

gyldenlove
11-13-2011, 07:56 PM
My only concern is that we still don't know much more about Tebow's ability to play QB in the NFL anymore than we were 5 weeks ago.
I love what I've seen about his intangibles and perseverence.
He has a strong drive to succeed and win games, and I think that's what we've learned so far, not that we didn't already know that...

Can he put in a situation where he can start growing as a passer?
For us to see also. I think if he can grow into being our QBOTF that we need to see him passing the ball more. We've as an offense need to be multi-dimensional.

We ran the ball at will today, and who knows had Willis not gone down how much more effecient we could've been, but the fact is we went stagnant towards the end of the first half.
We ran the ball well, but we weren't scoring points!
So that's when you need a passing game to bail you out of a bad situation.

You are never going to know after 5 games, you are never going to know after 16 games. Look at Josh Freeman or Sam Bradford this year, last year they were amazing and people were saying that TB and StL were both set for QB for the next 10 years, this year they have both sucked. Hell look at Drew Brees, they made the call in San Diego that he wasn't their guy, and now look at him with a super bowl ring, the 2nd most passing yards in a season ever.

There is a real sense today that the QB wins or loses games or even championships (even Shanahan was guilty of this notion), but in fact the QB is just one guy out of 22 starters and 53 players on the roster and if you find yourself in a situation where you can win with a given QB, wether or not that QB is the major reason for those wins, you go with it. Look at Roethlisberger, every time he has played with a dominant defense they have gone to the super bowl, when he has played with a middle of the road defense they haven't even made the playoffs, they are winning with him on the back of amazing defense - the same was true for Dilfer in Baltimore or Brad Johnson in Tampa and Eli Manning in New York.

I think the real question is not wether Tebow will become the next Elway or Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, it is wether the Denver Broncos can win and get to the playoffs with Tim Tebow. That question won't be answered this year, regardless if we make the playoffs or not, it will be answered over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

There is an old cliche that if you score more points than your opponent you win, and it is true. There is no reason to put up 50 points if the opponents score 10, 11 would have won you the game just as well. You can't judge from today what Tebow could have done had we aired it out like the end of the San Diego game, because there was no need to, you do what you have to do to win, nothing more, nothing less.

barryr
11-13-2011, 08:02 PM
I want to know who is really #98? McBean has not done really anything except commit penalties since he has been a Bronco, but the last 2-3 games, I see him making plays. Where did this come from?

Like I have stated more than once, I would rather win games with Tebow not playing pretty enough for some than Tebow tossing the ball all around and looking nice in losses. Most rookie and young QB's spend a lot of time turning the ball over, but Tebow has not and I think that needs to be talked more about him given more credit for that. He has something like a career 12TD to 4 INT ratio, with not many lost fumbles either, and that is quite good for a young QB.