PDA

View Full Version : how long have you been a Broncos fan and why?

Gort
11-11-2011, 05:23 PM
this isn't an "i'm a better fan than you" thread. i'm simply curious because there are so many different people here, for different reasons. if i'm curious, odds are alot of other people are too.

here's my story.

how long have you been a Broncos fan?

34 years.

why did you become a Broncos fan?

i grew up a Baltimore Colts fan and they were always my #1 team until they were stolen in the middle of the night. i hated the Raiders and in 1977, the Colts lost to the Raiders in the playoffs in double overtime. the next week, i got my revenge when Denver beat the Raiders to go to their first superbowl. i've been a fan ever since. plus, the Broncos uniforms were cool (i was 10 at the time) and Denver seemed a world away from Baltimore (in 1977, it might as well have been on the other side of the planet). the next year, i got one of those little vibrating football games of the Broncos against the Cowboys. i always played the Broncos on that game.

http://worthopedia.s3.amazonaws.com/images/thumbnails2/1/0810/14/1_bf4a834b61537d9cc5bd5d88890c303a.jpg http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/8f/ec/27d8_2.JPG

Old Dude
11-11-2011, 05:30 PM
How Long: since about 1965.

Why: lived here.

gunns
11-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Since September 1970 when my mom took me to a Bronco preseason game that was played here in SLC. Was kind of a fan of the LA Rams, thought Gabriel was sooo cute and loved, loved the fearsome foursome. But Floyd Little stole my heart that night and it hasn't changed.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Since 1986 super bowl (i was seven) Hated the Giants ( i grew up in ny), Elway threw the ball long. End of story.

Shananahan
11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Since April 22, 2010.

I love the colors.

ICON
11-11-2011, 05:38 PM
1986 - Wk 1 Raiders at Broncos GOW part 1 of 2

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DYrHyLdfSZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6lPRmXUV_w0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First NFL game I can remember watching kind of stuck with me.

errand
11-11-2011, 05:39 PM
37 years....it all began watching the underdog Broncos battle the Steelers to a 35-35 tie...

Bronx33
11-11-2011, 05:48 PM
My very first memories were floyd little running it everywhere and my old man a season ticket owner which are still in the family.

baja
11-11-2011, 06:03 PM
How long? sense 1973

Why? Moved to Colorado Springs in 1972 as a cowboys fan (until they shat on Tom Landary the way they did) and got caught up in the specialness of Mile High Bronco mania and later on Orange Crush and evidently Elway.

broncswin
11-11-2011, 06:04 PM
How long: 1985(I was 8 years old)
Why: My dad...grew up on a farm in SE Colorado...we listened to the Broncos on the radio and watched them on tv...my dad would cuss out Elway like no other...he would go out and work around the 2nd quarter of most games(because he was pissed we were losing) and then as I was running out to tell him what was happening...he would be running in about the same time(he was listening on the radio)..."that Damn Elway" he would say...why can't he play like this the whole game...we would watch the second half, me bitting my nails, tossing a football up and down in the living room...and him cussing out the tv...we would win a lot of the times(as my memory serves) and be celebrating the rest of the evening ,while my dad would still be cursing Elway, but in a good way...LOL..................God I love my dad for showing me how to Love the Broncos

gyldenlove
11-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Been a fan since February 1st, 1999 (Super bowl 33) - game started after midnight local time.

First football game I watched, watched it because of Morten Andersen but got completely hooked on Elway.

Jay3
11-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Here's my answer from before last season (2010), and it says it good enough. The only thing that makes me wince now is the Josh McDaniel bro-mance.

I'm way over on the east coast, so there was no geographical reason, ever. I always thought the Broncos had the coolest mascot (team name) and coolest colors (coolest helmets).

I thought Elway was awesome, and enjoyed his post season magic, a la "The Drive."

When I was a freshman in college (87-88), my roommate was an obnoxious Redskin fan (redundant). A whole gang of us watched the Super Bowl that year, and when Elway threw a touchdown (first play, I think), we were going wild and rubbing it in. Then Doug Johnson and Timmy Smith went on the flukiest display I've ever seen. He was so obnoxious, that I identified as a Bronco form then on. (Remember the Redskins got another one with Rypien a few years later, so I had to endure another one with that friend in college).

I always felt bad that the Broncos (and Elway) got there three times and got blown out each time. So when it came time for a second chance in 97-98, I was rooting all the way for them. The way Elway comported himself like an aging champ was poignant. I was actually a little choked up that he got it done. It made me think of how that skater Dave Jansen never gave up and won a gold medal in 1994 after numerous close failures. I'm a big "keeping trying, never give up guy." I'm always inspired by the ones who keep getting up off the mat, keep trying.

I'm a Tim Tebow fan. Nuff said.

This year, I was following every single thing about his prospects, and Denver was far and away my favorite, secret, fantasy team that would take him. I knew that if McD would take him and "work his magic" that he's done with other QB's, history could be made. Because I considered Tim Tebow to be the best raw material at QB that I've ever seen.

On the night of the draft, I had about given up on the idea. Wasn't hearing much buzz about that. I was expecting Tebow to go to either New England, Minnesota, Buffalo, Cleveland, or possibly fall all the way to the Panthers (who ended up with Jimmy Clausen). The Panthers were "my" team, I'm only an hour away and they have training camp here where I live.

I was sure that Denver wouldn't take him at 11. When they traded back, I thought maybe. They started hopping around and doing all kinds of things.

I graduated from Georgia Tech, and was a huge fan and following of D.T. When they picked him, I loved the pick. I love Megatron (my favorite receiver, and a great human being who did things the right way), and D.T. is baby Megatron.

Then, when the camera cut to Tim Tebow for Denver's second pick of round 1, I couldn't feel my legs. In that moment, it was all over. This team has pulled me in with Josh McDaniel, D.T. and Tim Tebow.

I'm in for the duration. I have bought my tickets for the Titans game, have two hats that I wear everywhere, and all my friends now know me as a Broncos fanatic.

The Broncos really could be an "America's Team" type of franchise. Everybody starts sometime.

broncswin
11-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Been a fan since February 1st, 1999 (Super bowl 33) - game started after midnight local time.

First football game I watched, watched it because of Morten Andersen but got completely hooked on Elway.

Poor guy...you missed a lot of great moments in Broncos history and some amazing heartache ;D

baja
11-11-2011, 06:07 PM
. Armageddon

April 22 2010

Because Tebow chose the Broncos

broncswin
11-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Damn you baja...people see you were the last poster and they lose interest....:thanku:....I kid...:twokisses

extralife
11-11-2011, 06:20 PM
This is actually a hard question for me to answer. My dad was/is a Broncos fan, but when I was old enough to know what football was, we lived in San Francisco. I picked up on the Niners first. I started cheering for them when I was, who knows, five years old? This would be about '88. I was, however, always aware of the Broncos as well. The first football game I remember watching was Super Bowl XXII. I don't remember much about it. I was four years old. I remember Super Bowl XXIV very distinctly. I cheered for San Francisco. I remained, and still do remain, a 49ers fan.

But we moved back to Colorado in '89, and I've lived here for something like 26 of my 28 years (lived here before we moved to San Fran when I was two-ish). My relationship with the Broncos was back and forth. Sometimes I liked the team--though never as much as the Niners--and sometimes I liked to hate them, probably mostly to goad the people around me. But it was probably about '95 that my fondness for the Broncos overtook my fondness for the Niners. So either I've been a Broncos fan since about '88, or I've been a Broncos fan since about '95.

Archer81
11-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Since birth, but my pops is a Marine, and I grew up in NC and VA. My mom always followed the Broncos, my dad had no team even though his parents constantly sent us Patriots crap...I seriously have a picture of me in a Pats tshirt...thanks Ma for dressing me in it...To balance it out my mom's parents sent us Broncos stuff.

Anyhoo, I was in NOVA when Denver played Washington. I hated the Skins "hail to the redskins my ass. **** them"...As I got older I started to pay more attention to the Broncos. Stuck with them ever since.

:Broncos:

Bronx33
11-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I remember driving downtown with my pals for a car show at currigan hall ( which no longer exist) and seeing on the marquee ( welcome to denver john elway)

enjolras
11-11-2011, 06:37 PM
31 years. I was born into it.

uplink
11-11-2011, 06:38 PM
When I was old enough to watch tv I wasn't allowed to pick my big brother's favorite team the steelers. Since the broncos beat the steelers that year in the playoffs on the way to Super Bowl 13, I picked the broncos as my favorite team and have stuck ever since. I wore a orange broncos coat all through junior high and some of high school, I was the only one since I live on the East Coast.

broncolife
11-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Around the time of the Bronco and Redskin superbowl. I remember being in 2nd grade and playing flag football, we had to pick a team name and we picked the broncos over the redskins. Then when the broncos played the redskins in the super bowl my whole family was rooting for the redskins and I wanted to be the oddball so I rooted for the broncos. It may be a stupid way of becoming a fan, but I could have been a brainwashed Charger fan. Thank you God. :pray:

Rolandftw
11-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't think I got really into NFL football until I was 12 or so (1992)... I briefly remember some of the Super Bowl losses with Elway, but can't say I really knew too many of our players other then Elway and Mecklenberg. Mainly followed the Nuggets prior to that.

Anyways, I think mainly got into the Broncos due to the Elway vs Montana matchups. Still think win or lose those were some of the best football games that I have ever watched. Think that got me hooked on the Broncos and have been a fan ever since.

gyldenlove
11-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Poor guy...you missed a lot of great moments in Broncos history and some amazing heartache ;D

I definitely chose the wrong time to jump the band wagon, I have been a fan as long as it is possible without celebrating a championship season.

Meck77
11-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Born at Mercy hospital next to city park 37 years ago. Not sure if it's even there anymore? Back then they cut your cord, wiped your ass off, and slapped orange booties on you.

The Moops
11-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I've been a Broncos fan since 1970 when I was 7 years old.

At first I picked the Broncos because I like the horse on the helmet. Then I learned about Floyd Little and became a fan for life.

mkporter
11-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Since birth. 35 years. My earliest bronco memories are of sitting in my family's seats in the east stands. Our section, near the south end, was right next the the visiting team section, which was the last section in the east stands. I learned a lot about trash talking, and drunken fighting. I also have fond memories of the drives home after losses listening to talk radio with all the people calling in talking about how much Elway sucked. Good times.

:thumbsup:

Archer81
11-11-2011, 07:06 PM
A long ass ****in time ago in a town named Kickapoo...

OBF1
11-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Since I moved to Colorado in 1977 34 years and counting.

g00fyfoot
11-11-2011, 07:11 PM
My dad is from Colorado and a devout Broncos fan, so I've been watching them my whole life. But my earliest vivid memory of the Broncos is the AFC Championship game vs. Oakland on New Year's Day 1978. I could recall specific plays from that game 27 years later, without ever having re-watched it.

My dad took me to my first Bronco game on opening day 1981, also vs. the Raiders. It was an overwhelming experience.

jsco70
11-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Since '77-78 Super Bowl run. I was 7 years old. I have fond memories of Orange Crush collectors pop cans, Jon Keyworth's song, and a sea of orange during the games. It was a special time.

BroncoBeavis
11-11-2011, 07:24 PM
25 years, give or take. I was 10 or so when the Broncos and Elway started to catch fire in 1986. Although you'll find all sorts of different fans where I live, the Broncs are kinda sorta our regional team so their games were always on TV every week. That was right about the time I really started watching football (or maybe started understanding enough to remember watching it)

Been a diehard ever since.

GreatBronco16
11-11-2011, 07:31 PM
I grew up a Falcons fan, since I live 90 miles from Atlanta. Still like the Falcons, but I really became a fan of Denver in 94 I think. Can't remember why, but I just did.

I love the Orange and Blue, but living here in Bama as a Bama fan makes it hard when I wear my Orange and Blue. I get a lot of war eagle, even though I'm sporting the Bronco logo.

Auburn fans, God they are stupid. ;D

Archer81
11-11-2011, 07:33 PM
My clearest and earliest complete memory of something purely Broncos related was my mother yelling about some asshole rookie TE stepping out of bounds, coming back inbounds, catching a TD pass then celebrating.

Of course that asshole TE would wind up in the HOF...

Chris
11-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Dad is from Aurora, CO. Grandpa had season tickets from game one in the early 60s until sometime in the late 80s / early 90s shortly before his death

Fan since late 80s but really 1997 when I was 12 / 13. I remember thinking Elway became quarterback because he scored a touchdown some time in the latest. Then for years, as with most people internationally, I thought America football was stupid and too "stop starpy". I'm from Hong Kong ya see... and it all started when I had to wake up in the middle of the night to watch the 97 AFC Championship against the Stewart - Bettis Steelers. I used to get my aunt (lives in Littleton) to send me tapes of the games that would arrive two weeks late. Back then the NFL wanted no part of NFL coverage internationally (we got the SB and some playoff games but that's about it). Initially I would get the scores on compuserve at 7 am before school without even watching the games. I used to watch the "Best Damn Sports Show Period" on Murdoch's Sky Sports after school and for years I would listen to the games on NFL Gamepass in the middle of the night until I moved to the states in 2005 (brief stopover in London where sky had some coverage but still a piss take).

They say if your team is good when you're 12 you get hooked for life. That's what happened to me.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-11-2011, 07:50 PM
sometime around 86 seen a glimpse of the Cleveland game. changed the channel then one cold january day i was flipping thru channels saw the super bowl and Elway was getting sacked for a safety by the giants felt sorry for the poor guy . i vaguely remember novelty songs about the broncos vs the giants very vaguely something about the 3 amigos jack the giant killer it was very hyped up on the radio station i think the station was 96 rock in colorado springs and thats why im a bronco fan.so basically since the super bowl in 87

baja
11-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I first became a Bronos fan in 1967 the same year I retired from the post office.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-11-2011, 07:53 PM
another thing i remember when i was a kid there was talk about orange crush and our school sorta co opted that ideal and call it purple crush since that was the main color of our school .back in 77 but i wa sa kid so i didnt know what was going on and my family hated elway when he was drafted when he was smiling when he lost the super bowl especially my mom and dad meh go figure they dont like sports anyways

Mecklomaniac
11-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Since '77-78 Super Bowl run. I was 7 years old. I have fond memories of Orange Crush collectors pop cans, Jon Keyworth's song, and a sea of orange during the games. It was a special time.

I still have a bunch of those cans Bucky Dilts, Jon Keyworth, Jim Turner, Jack Dolbin, Red Miller, Steve Antonopolus, Joe Rizzo, Craig Morton, Randy Gradishar, Godwin Turk, Lyle Alzado...

That was about the same time I became a Broncos fan. I had just moved to Colorado and lived a couple of miles from the where the Broncos held training camp at CSU. With a bunch of friends of mine, we used to ride our bikes out to watch practice, collect autographs, try to sneak into the background on TV interviews. After practice, they would leave a lot of the gear on the field, so we would go and hit the blocking sleds, run the ropes, hit the tackling dummies.

When we moved in to a new house, I picked out a hideous orange shag carpet. Gotta love the 70's :peace::afro:

Split season tickets with another family, so I would get to go to a couple of games a year with my dad. The old mile high stadium was awesome. The noise there was incredible with everybody stomping their feet on the steel floors in the movable east stands.

Ray Finkle
11-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Since 1987....

Grew up a Giants fan but my Mom's family moved to Aurora when she was 3. Spent some time one summer with my grandparents that year and saw a preseason game at Mile High, I was changed forever...

GreatBronco16
11-11-2011, 08:04 PM
How long? sense 1973

Why? Moved to Colorado Springs in 1972 as a cowboys fan (until they shat on Tom Landary the way they did) and got caught up in the specialness of Mile High Bronco mania and later on Orange Crush and evidently Elway.

I first became a Bronos fan in 1967 the same year I retired from the post office.

LOL

Drinking much tonight there Baja?

Mogulseeker
11-11-2011, 08:06 PM
About 23 years (I'm 26)... I was born during a Broncos game (we crushed the Atlanta Falcons)... baby pictures in Broncos gear.... season tickets in the family since the inaugural year... I have pictures of me watching Elways first Super Bowl with grandpa (I was three). I was born in Denver and lived here for my entire life minus the five years I did in the military.

rodr88
11-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Game 5 of the 1977 Season. Denver at Oakland. The "it's all over fat man" game. Late in the 4th quarter I commented on another Denver Interception and my dad told my I could shut up. He hated the Broncos. I was 17, and anything that ticked dad off was good for me. Been a fan from that moment on.

brncs_fan
11-11-2011, 08:47 PM
1986-88 ish. Not really sure.

I remember watching them play the Raiders when Long was still a young Raider. Living in Illinois though it was hard to know anything that was going on though because they were almost never on TV.

I was there for the SB ass kicking the 49ers gave us though.

NFLBRONCO
11-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Since 72

My neighbor played for the Broncos I thought it was was cool to live near a pro athlete.

Kaylore
11-11-2011, 09:04 PM
I've been a Bronco fan since the 2010 draft. I am more a Tebow fan than a Bronco fan and don't know a freaking thing about Broncos players, history or pro football in general. I just like to defend Tebow specifically and the SEC generally.

-MacGruder

Bronco Yoda
11-11-2011, 09:04 PM
A long time ago... far far away...

Since the early 70's. I made my Dad take me to my first Bronco preseason game in '73 me thinks it was (he wasn't much of a sports fan). Grew up in Colorado. It's in my blood.

Faider fan associates that I'd go to the Bronco/Faider games with back in the 90's in L.A. Colosseum started calling me 'Yoda' after making it out alive every time in my bright orange Elway jersey in a sea of filthy black raider gear. The things they'd throw at you....

Parking there was horrible. You'd have to usually pay someone to park on their lawn. Then walk through some of the worst neighborhood you can imagine to then walk into the chain link fence corridors entering to the stadium with drunk howling faider fans yelling through the fence. I imagine this is what it's like going to prison.

baja
11-11-2011, 09:06 PM
LOL

It all really started when the Mayflower struck a rock in Chesapeake Bay and we ended up gorging ourselves on Oysters. So on the way to Colorado we...

El Jué
11-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I've rather liked the Broncos for almost 20 years, though I've fairly successfully avoided caring much for any of the individual players except Rod Smith and Tim Tebow. Even with that, I think the jury has a long deliberation ahead before it can declare that Tim Tebow should play quarterback in the NFL.

Simple Jake
11-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, only being 18 years old, my bronco fan resume may not be as impressive as other Maners.. But i first became a Bronco fan in 2003 I believe, when I first started going to my fathers house (who is also a diehard Bronco fan, and a member of the Mane).. At the time I wasn't really that into sports.. I'll never forget the first game I watched, Denver destroyed San Diego.. I remember my dad saying "Denver hates those bastards".. Been a diehard fan ever since that Charger beat-down

JDB7821
11-11-2011, 10:07 PM
I grew up a Falcons fan, since I live 90 miles from Atlanta. Still like the Falcons, but I really became a fan of Denver in 94 I think. Can't remember why, but I just did.

I love the Orange and Blue, but living here in Bama as a Bama fan makes it hard when I wear my Orange and Blue. I get a lot of war eagle, even though I'm sporting the Bronco logo.

Auburn fans, God they are stupid. ;D

I live about 15 minutes outside of Atlanta and have lived no more than 30 outside of it my entire life. Naturally I'm a Falcons fan because they were the local team on TV every Sunday and they've finally become somewhat relevant. I became a die hard Falcons fan when Michael Vick was drafted.

Back to the topic of the Broncos, I never thought much about them until Jay Cutler was drafted. He was my favorite quarterback of that draft and I was shocked Shanahan moved up to get him. That's when I started following them and have become a fan since because they've acquired some of my favorite players before they were Broncos (Champ, Lynch, Dawkins, Cutler, Knowshon, Bay Bay, Tebow). It's also a goal of mine to move to Colorado in the very near future so it's a natural fit.

mwill07
11-11-2011, 10:08 PM
When? Since The Drive.

Why? The Drive.

I had only a remote interest in football before then. In 1986, I was in 6th grade and living in Cheyenne. We got all of the local Denver TV stations, so it was easy to get caught up in it. I remember watching the playoff game vs NE...and then, on to Cleveland. It's really hard to replicate that much excitement and drama. I remember watching that game with my grandpa, that was shortly before he passed on.

The next season cemented it for me. Back to back superbowl trips is pretty much all it takes to get a 12 yr old hooked for life.

pricejj
11-11-2011, 10:21 PM
One of the earliest Bronco memories I have is during the blizzard of '84 when I was 7. It was the Broncos against the Packers on Monday night, Oct. 15. I remember listening to the game on 850 KOA. The next day there were 8 foot drifts on the sides of the dirt roads near Briggsdale, CO.

HAT
11-11-2011, 11:22 PM
How long? sense 1973

Sense when again?

schaaf
11-11-2011, 11:38 PM
mine hasnt been as long as others... 19 years

When? January 12, 1992.

It was my second day of being alive and there are pictures of my mom and I in the hospital with a bronco blanket. My entire family has been bronco fans forever. Being from Eastern Montana we've only been able to make it down to 8 games but hopefully more in the future. I remember when I was in Kindergarten I would tell everyone we were friends with John Elway and he was coming to visit because we had so many pictures of him haha. I'm more of a fan now than ever before and couldn't be happier.

My favorite memory was when we were down at a game in 98 and we were getting autographs after the game and we somehow began talking to Terrell Davis' mom and we ended up getting to go out to eat with Terrell, his mom, and me and my family... Still my favorite Bronco!

epicSocialism4tw
11-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Since 1983.

Hearing people doubt Elway and watching him make them eat their words in dramatic fashion made me continue to tune in. "The Drive" made me buy gear and tune in for the subsequent 28 years.

For those who weren't there in 1983, the script is extremely similar for Tebow as it was for Elway...we could be in for a fantastic ride.

Blueflame
11-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Since 1983.

Hearing people doubt Elway and watching him make them eat their words in dramatic fashion made me continue to tune in. "The Drive" made me buy gear and tune in for the subsequent 28 years.

For those who weren't there in 1983, the script is extremely similar for Tebow as it was for Elway...we could be in for a fantastic ride.

Tebow has not yet earned the right to be mentioned in the same breath as Elway.

epicSocialism4tw
11-12-2011, 12:07 AM

Are mods allowed to troll?

Blueflame
11-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Are mods allowed to troll?

Please explain how that post is "trolling". Elway has far more in common with Peyton Manning... I mean, being drafted #1 overall by the Colts.

epicSocialism4tw
11-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Please explain how that post is "trolling". Elway has far more in common with Peyton Manning... I mean, being drafted #1 overall by the Colts.

Why ruin a good thread with bickering about Tebow?

Blueflame
11-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Why ruin a good thread with bickering about Tebow?

Excuse me but you were the poster who shifted topic to "Tebow" (post #55).

lonestar
11-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Wow what a bunch of kiddies..

Been a fan since before they played a game..

used to go to watch them practice.

could not afford tickets initially but my best friends dad bought two season tickets year one through the payroll deduction, then decided that Vic and I could go to the games..

I went to every home game in 1960 then got my own tickets in 1961 went to every home game through 1979 save the time I was on active duty in the late 60's.

they were middle of the south stands (the horizontal bar blocked a lot of visual) when they were in the red zone..

Then when the upper deck went in I moved to the north end zone top level BIG mistake but at least when it snowed I rarely got snowed on, it kind of went over the top and came down about 10 rows in front of us, also kept warmer there also..

When I was promoted out of DEN I gave the tickets up as I thought I'd never get back to see them again.. I have never forgave myself for that.. But I would have not really been able to afford to go to games.. and back then there really was not ticket exchanges to speak of.

At the time there were some 17K people on the waiting list figured that they might as well have them..

SO call me a Day one Fan..

epicSocialism4tw
11-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Wow what a bunch of kiddies..

Been a fan since before they played a game..

used to go to watch them practice.

could not afford tickets initially but my best friends dad bought two season tickets year one through the payroll deduction, then decided that Vic and I could go to the games..

I went to every home game in 1960 then got my own tickets in 1961 went to every home game through 1979 save the time I was on active duty in the late 60's.

they were middle of the south stands (the horizontal bar blocked a lot of visual) when they were in the red zone..

Then when the upper deck went in I moved to the north end zone top level BIG mistake but at least when it snowed I rarely got snowed on, it kind of went over the top and came down about 10 rows in front of us, also kept warmer there also..

When I was promoted out of DEN I gave the tickets up as I thought I'd never get back to see them again.. I have never forgave myself for that.. But I would have not really been able to afford to go to games.. and back then there really was not ticket exchanges to speak of.

At the time there were some 17K people on the waiting list figured that they might as well have them..

SO call me a Day one Fan..

http://www.theshrubbery.com/0898/oldy.jpg

Taco John
11-12-2011, 01:08 AM
I can pinpoint the very moment that I went from being a kid who watched football with my dad, to being a die hard Broncos fanatic who could never get enough.

Overtime vs. the Chargers, 1985. The Chargers were lining up to kick the winning overtime field goal. My father groaned and left the room to go get ready for church (we went to church twice on Sundays). It was an easy field goal and he was convinced that the game was over. But a miracle happened! The Broncos blocked it and Louis Wright returned it for a field goal. I yelled my 10-year-old head off for my dad to come see! He couldn't believe his eyes. I was jumping around like a lunatic. But then he groaned again, "look son! a penalty!"

Tradgedy! My world shattered. My emotions had soared from despair, to elation, and back to despair again. The touchdown was nullified. My dad groaned and went back to finish getting ready - I remember him saying "lightning doesn't strike twice," and I watched the officials walk the ball to mark the penalty off. I can remember to this day how hopeless that felt. But I couldn't peel my eyes off of it. I wanted to see the Broncos win so bad.

Here is what happened next:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jCp4ltF_SBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was a fan before this, but it was more passive. I was a fan because my dad was a fan, and I enjoyed being around him when he'd yell "touchdown." But this was the moment that the Broncos engulfed my heart. After that moment, there was no way that I wasn't going to be in front of that television if the Broncos were on. I'd watch ESPN just hoping, praying that they'd be doing a segment on the Broncos soon. And it hasn't ended to this day...

epicSocialism4tw
11-12-2011, 01:30 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jCp4ltF_SBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man...I miss that old script-logo parephenalia, the "D" logo on that blue background of the helmet, and the real Broncos orange jerseys.

It sucks that the team you loved in your childhood no longer looks the same...you lose the reinforcement of those old memories and the nostalgia created by seeing them take the field on Sundays.

Miss I.
11-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Well this is embarrasing, but if you look at my join date it's within a year of my making my love of the Broncos official (prior to this I was a Chiefs fan).

Why am I a Bronco fan: well because I love them and I love Colorado and it's entirely instinctual and emotion based with no reasoned basis, but I blame Jake Plummer and Alex for this.

My Football Timeline:
Birth to 2008:
Los Angeles, CA: my birthplace, I loved basketball and soccer. Played them and watched them. Loved the Lakers (not now, but in the 80s I did) NFL only consisted of me hating the Raiders though I never really knew why I just did.

Tucson, AZ moved there in High school, no NFL teams unless you count the Cardinals, I didn't care. Just watched college hoops, love me some Lute Olsen Wildcats. College, hated our football team because they were assholes and overrated and lost, Desert Swarm please (sole exception, Tedy Bruschi who I graduated with). un Devils kicked our ass in football (Hated Jake Plummer, stupid ass).

1998 - San Diego, living there for Americorps, my boss "volunteered" us to the NFL so he could get to go to the game and meet the players. We worked 18 hour days, very few breaks stuffing bags for the fans and practicing asinine half time routines. The best part was the events we got to play outside the stadium, too bad I didn't know who anybody in the NFL was at that point because then I might remember who I met. After standing for 2 hours and doing the stupid failure of a halftime activity, the NFL made us leave without letting us watch the rest of the game.

2005 - Move to Kansas City, fell in love with the game due to the enthusiasm of my friends for their Chiefs. Loved the game, watched every Sunday. Loved Tony Gonzales (yes I still have his jersey). But honestly, not sure about the Chiefs, just loved the game, watching guys run or slam each other to the ground. I love a good QB sack.

2006 - move to Colorado Springs. told by KC friends I could never like the Broncos. I failed. For some reason my hate for Jake Plummer had changed over the years and um, at least in part his scrappy attitude and weird Facial hair had softened me enough to open up to the Broncos. I hid the love for sometime, due to reading a lot of stupid fan boards where they all acted like assholes. I was a bit embarrassed by the behavior.

2008 - New job in Denver and I meet a member of the OM. Said person showed me this board and a crazed fan was born which is odd because some of the guys in here are kind of idiots, but it's kind of like a freak show, disturbing but fun with the occasional want to beat someone up. now I am open in my Bronco fandom and love it. Love the pure joy, though I still have so much to learn about football, I am still every excited about it.

Go Broncos!

HorseHead
11-12-2011, 03:09 AM
1976 for me....

everyone was a Cowboys, Pats, Dolphins fans around here...

I remember the only highlights you could get back then was halftime of MNF with Cosell, Upchurch and Otis Armstrong were everywhere....

side note: "Blueflame", chill....

broncoblue
11-12-2011, 03:18 AM
1982 we started getting highlights and me and my late dad got into it and needed a team and my cousins lived in col and followed the broncos ,so we did.Didnt realise how much a part of my life they was to become.Attending ,getting family born to be orange and tat.lol.

on monday my nephew who works a bar has talked his boss into putting sky tv on the big screen sunday nights and he takes his laptop for streaming bronco games,ive to update him play by play or so it seems hahaaha. Now the pub are getting into it and are slowly but surly rooting for the broncos and want me as leader lol.

Blueflame
11-12-2011, 03:20 AM
1976 for me....

everyone was a Cowboys, Pats, Dolphins fans around here...

I remember the only highlights you could get back then was halftime of MNF with Cosell, Upchurch and Otis Armstrong were everywhere....

side note: "Blueflame", chill....

With all due respect, it was epic who might have needed to "chill"... the Tebow wars don't need to extend everywhere including ROF threads. JMHO.

As for the thread topic... I was a Bronco fan before Elway was drafted.

HorseHead
11-12-2011, 03:29 AM
duly noted....

back to memories...., I remember when an episode of "Mork from Ork" used the Broncos, and an actual game as a setting for the show. Robin Williams was a cheerleader or something in the episode. '78, '79?...a little foggy for me...

GreatBronco16
11-12-2011, 05:15 AM

Tebow and Elway. All in the same breath.:yayaya:

Blueflame
11-12-2011, 05:33 AM
Tebow and Elway. All in the same breath.:yayaya:

As they say on Sesame Street: "One of these things is not like the other"...
One = "project"
One = "Pro Football Hall of Fame"

BroncoBuff
11-12-2011, 05:47 AM
1971 when I was 10 ... QB Pete Liske came to my elementary school and spoke. Threw the football around with us after.

GreatBronco16
11-12-2011, 06:09 AM
As they say on Sesame Street: "One of these things is not like the other"...
Elway = "project VP of Football Operations, Denver Broncos"
Tebow = "Future Pro Football Hall of Fame"

:egbgb::P:giggle:

stopgap
11-12-2011, 06:25 AM
I was always around it. As a tyke running around the house I remember a game involving the Cowboys and Broncos (SBXII apparently). To young to know the significance but my dad was really bummed out. He looked demoralized for some reason.

I think I personally really started to get invested with the team after the trouncing of the 89-90 SB with the Niners.

baja
11-12-2011, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baja
How long? sense 1973

Quote:
<b>I first became a Bronos fan in 1967 the same year I retired from the post office.</b>

LOL

Retirement is at roughly at 60. If I was 60 in 1967 that makes me 104 years today. Sorry my little bit of humor went over your head. I will redouble my efforts to dumb down my attempts at humor so guys like you and Meck, who tripped over himself to write me a rep comment shouting drunk lier as he likes to do after he misreads posts of mine. Sorry I forget how successful the dumbing down of America has been.

White Horses Inc.
11-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Born in Denver 1972, my whole family were Bronco fans, my Grandparents had season tickets ( even went to the AAA baseball games... The Bears?)but the real reason is my Dad. Some of my greatest memories have been sitting in the stadium watching the Broncos with him and my cousins. Having said that I did get my a$$ kicked by the older kids for wearing my orange Bronco jacket to school, so when they won their first Super Bowl it was very therapeutic ... Haha sweet redemption

stopgap
11-12-2011, 07:20 AM
<b>I first became a Bronos fan in 1967 the same year I retired from the post office.</b>

Retirement is at roughly at 60. If I was 60 in 1967 that makes me 104 years today. Sorry my little bit of humor went over your head. I will redouble my efforts to dumb down my attempts at humor so guys like you and Meck, who tripped over himself to write me a rep comment shouting drunk lier as he likes to do after he misreads posts of mine. Sorry I forget how successful the dumbing down of America has been.

I say you are still feeling the after-effects of last night's bender IMO.

dsmoot
11-12-2011, 07:31 AM
this isn't an "i'm a better fan than you" thread. i'm simply curious because there are so many different people here, for different reasons. if i'm curious, odds are alot of other people are too.

here's my story.

34 years.

i grew up a Baltimore Colts fan and they were always my #1 team until they were stolen in the middle of the night. i hated the Raiders and in 1977, the Colts lost to the Raiders in the playoffs in double overtime. the next week, i got my revenge when Denver beat the Raiders to go to their first superbowl. i've been a fan ever since. plus, the Broncos uniforms were cool (i was 10 at the time) and Denver seemed a world away from Baltimore (in 1977, it might as well have been on the other side of the planet). the next year, i got one of those little vibrating football games of the Broncos against the Cowboys. i always played the Broncos on that game.

http://worthopedia.s3.amazonaws.com/images/thumbnails2/1/0810/14/1_bf4a834b61537d9cc5bd5d88890c303a.jpg http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/8f/ec/27d8_2.JPG

Similar situation, Grew up in Baltimore as a Colts fan in 60's, moved to Colorado in 71. I was so impressed by Bronco fans that by 72 was fully a Bronco fan (helped by Colts trading Unitas). Thrilled that Broncos hired Ralston and he really helped the Broncos become a better team although he certainly wasn't the ultimate answer.

I was not surprised at all when Colts left Baltimore. Baltimore was not the greatest supporter of their sports teams by 1970. I actually bought three tickets (age 11) to the Colts Raiders AFC championship game at the gate on game day in 1970. Unbelievable. The Orioles didn't draw particularly well during their great years of the 60's and early 70's. The Colts left with a new ownership with no ties to the city and the opportunity to create more revenue .... it is a business. It was disappointing that the city of Baltimore did not have the forethought to petition the NFL for the Colts name.

Colorado has been a great supporter of the Denver Broncos in good and bad times. It has been personally disappointing to see a negative evolution of the fan base which is in full view of the cross section of posts on this website. The Bronco fans during the pre-winning years could teach a thing or two to the fans of today. They are the ones who won my heart for this team early on.

Adversity reveals alot of things.

Drunk Monkey
11-12-2011, 07:43 AM
When? Since The Drive.

Why? The Drive.

I had only a remote interest in football before then. In 1986, I was in 6th grade and living in Cheyenne. We got all of the local Denver TV stations, so it was easy to get caught up in it. I remember watching the playoff game vs NE...and then, on to Cleveland. It's really hard to replicate that much excitement and drama. I remember watching that game with my grandpa, that was shortly before he passed on.

The next season cemented it for me. Back to back superbowl trips is pretty much all it takes to get a 12 yr old hooked for life.

Wow, this just about sums up my Bronco fandom. I first started paying attention in 86, not going to call myself a fan but I remember watching some games. A 7 year old has a limited attention span. The Cleveland game was amazing. I started liking this Elway guy for his come backs. I think I officially punched my bronco card before the Redskins Superbowl. It also helped that my brother was a Cowboys fan, if he is going that way I was going the other. In New Mexico you are one or the other for the most part.

Kid A
11-12-2011, 07:57 AM
I was born in Denver, but my family moved to KC when I was around 5. While my mom did everything she could to help me "fit in" to the new area (including putting me in a Chiefs shirt for kindergarten), my dad upheld his sacred duty and made me a Broncos fan. Bronco helmets, Elway cards, shirts, etc. filling my room.

My earliest memories of really paying attention to the game are when we went to a Broncos v. Chiefs office party at my dad's boss's house and my brother and I were the only people there decked out in Broncos gear, getting teased by everyone there. As I went through school that kind of became a part of why I loved them - I've always enjoyed being a bit of a contrarian a-hole, and being the only Bronco fan in a sea of miserable Chiefs fans (this was the mid 90s) was a lot of fun.

GreatBronco16
11-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Quote:
How long? sense 1973

Quote:

Wow, someone is a little anal-retentive today. But keeping with your flow here, you would have to actually say something humorous in order for your humor to go over anyones head. Sorry I forget how successful the idiocy of Mexico has been.

errand
11-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Since 72

My neighbor played for the Broncos I thought it was was cool to live near a pro athlete.

I use to work with former Bronco Jim Price...he played for them in the very early years...his claim to fame? He was one of the guys traded to NY Titans for a LB named Wahoo McDaniels.

lonestar
11-12-2011, 08:15 AM
I forgot to add that Eldon Danuhauers off season job was my HS sports coach. He was an OT at one time in the early 60's.. he went on to become our football coach .

BroncoDoug
11-12-2011, 08:27 AM
As long as I can remember, I was born in 1985 and my dad (who is a big Bears fan) took me to a Broncos game when I was 6, I was hooked, Mile High was like the best and coolest place I had ever been, never looked back since. He tried making me a Bears fan, but I had my mind made up, and hated the Bears ever since.

cutthemdown
11-12-2011, 08:28 AM
JESUS BAJA you retired in 67? how ****ing old are you 100?

cutthemdown
11-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I can't remember ever not being a Broncos fan. Moved to Calif from Lkwd Colo when i was 3-4 yrs old so it can't be that. Must have been just my dad was still a big Broncos fan. I remember throwing my bible away when i was 7 yrs old after we lost to the Cowboys in the Superbowl. So at least since I was 6 yrs old lol. My mom found it in my trash can and I said I prayed for God to make the Broncos win and they didn't so there is no God lol. Needless to say i didn't get to watch football after church for a few years. :)

broncogary
11-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Since 1966, when I was 13 years old. We lived on baja's mail route, and one day, while showering with baja, he showed me what being a Bronco fan was all about. The next year, he "retired" from the Post Office. Still don't know if it had anything to do with that plank upside the head my old man gave him.

TonyR
11-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Born and raised a Broncos fan southwest of Denver (Littleton/Columbine area). Parents had season tickets. Moved to east coast in mid 80's after finishing 9th grade but will always be a Broncos fan!

baja
11-12-2011, 09:02 AM
JESUS BAJA you retired in 67? how ****ing old are you 100?

Hey give this man a gold star he got it.

There were a string of posts each claiming an older and older date so I made a playful post that if you did the math I would be well over 100.

instead of getting a few chuckles I got the "Are you drunk" posts. Not be deal just thought is funny it was missed and I am just busting the chops of 16 a little. ;D

I even got a damning rep comment from Meck who never misses an opportunity to call me out. Often for something contrary of what I actually said

HooptyHoops
11-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I was born in 75 and moved to Loveland when I was 4 years old....Yes, I did the Mile High thing with my Dad, but it was my Mom that pushed the Bronco's!

My birthday is in late January and I can remember Superbowl birthday parties in the late 80's which cemented me in bleeding Orange!!

rmsanger
11-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Born 83 ~ Elway 4 life!

Hamrob
11-12-2011, 10:10 AM
I was born in 1969 and the earliest I can remember being a Broncos fan was in 1974. My dad was a Faiders fan...so, I picked an AFC West rival to root for and since I lived in South Dakota at the time, the Broncos were the closest thing to a home town team. Plus I liked the Orange.

I can remember playing football in Kindergarten and being the Broncos against the Cowboys, against the Raiders, against the Steelers etc.

I remember watching the 1977 season with my Grandpa and having the obsession take over. Then in 1982, we moved to Greeley Colorado and bought a house 1-block a way from Broncos training camp. I used to live at training camp in the summer. I would take a handful of football cards to camp each day and get the players to autograph them, then I would sell them down down Greeley at a coin store. I gave Elway 5 cards to sign one day and he asked me what the heck was it that I did with all those cards. I told him with a big smile...I sell them!!! He laughed and went about signing other autographs.

I love the Broncos and always have.

stopgap
11-12-2011, 10:14 AM
I can't remember ever not being a Broncos fan. Moved to Calif from Lkwd Colo when i was 3-4 yrs old so it can't be that. Must have been just my dad was still a big Broncos fan. I remember throwing my bible away when i was 7 yrs old after we lost to the Cowboys in the Superbowl. So at least since I was 6 yrs old lol. My mom found it in my trash can and I said I prayed for God to make the Broncos win and they didn't so there is no God lol. Needless to say i didn't get to watch football after church for a few years. :)

Hilarious!

Heyneck
11-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Since 2000. I am 26 and live in Colombia so we didn't get games other than the ones on ESPN (Until Direct TV). Loved watching sunday and monday night game transmitions on ESPN. I wasn't a fan of any team but loved football and knew only about the 49ers, Cowboys, and Dolphins because their merchandise was the only football related you could find.

Anyway...I hated the Rams because they won the SB the previous year (rooted for the titans) and because everybody always said their offence couldn't be stoped or keep pace with. I am an underdog loving guy, and sitting there watching Brian Griese slinging it and TD runing for the first time (eventhough he got injured and I think that was the start of mike anderson era), I just loved the perseverance of that team! And we lost! But loved every single moment of that game. Once it was over I started looking up news, going to the websites, espn and feeding off on every single bronco related news I could get my eyes on. I turned into a fanatic real fast and haven't stoped since.

Watching Griese play against the Raiders on Sunday/Monday night, taking a pain killing shot on his dislocated shoulder, drive us down for an Elam game winning field goal (all this wile I am on my knees in front of the tv praying for it to be good) was EPIC!!!

It's been 11 season, more average and bad than good...but wouldn't change it for anything. I am the optimist that thinks we will go 16-0 every year (deep down I am a realist but choose to ignore it) What a bunch o great bronco memories!

PS. Sorry for my spelling!

Moki01
11-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I started back when Charley Johnson QB'd the team. He captured a number of us boys who talked of his exploits at school.

stopgap
11-12-2011, 10:45 AM

No problem. Great story! Many good stories actually.

Kid A
11-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Since 2000. I am 26 and live in Colombia so we didn't get games other than the ones on ESPN (Until Direct TV). Loved watching sunday and monday night game transmitions on ESPN. I wasn't a fan of any team but loved football and knew only about the 49ers, Cowboys, and Dolphins because their merchandise was the only football related you could find.

Anyway...I hated the Rams because they won the SB the previous year (rooted for the titans) and because everybody always said their offence couldn't be stoped or keep pace with. I am an underdog loving guy, and sitting there watching Brian Griese slinging it and TD runing for the first time (eventhough he got injured and I think that was the start of mike anderson era), I just loved the perseverance of that team! And we lost! But loved every single moment of that game. Once it was over I started looking up news, going to the websites, espn and feeding off on every single bronco related news I could get my eyes on. I turned into a fanatic real fast and haven't stoped since.

Watching Griese play against the Raiders on Sunday/Monday night, taking a pain killing shot on his dislocated shoulder, drive us down for an Elam game winning field goal (all this wile I am on my knees in front of the tv praying for it to be good) was EPIC!!!

It's been 11 season, more average and bad than good...but wouldn't change it for anything. I am the optimist that thinks we will go 16-0 every year (deep down I am a realist but choose to ignore it) What a bunch o great bronco memories!

Love this. Came to the team very randomly after the glory years, have almost no external community pressure to stick with what has been a mediocre team half a world away, and yet here you are.

That's what being a sports fan is all about - not just cheering on great teams, but enjoying the ride and rooting for non-legendary figures like Mike Anderson.

Denver Crush
11-12-2011, 11:00 AM

30 years

because I love the game of football and I was born here - was a weekend staple to have friends and family over for the game - if my parents really wanted to punish me...no broncos for you this weekend!

bombay
11-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Moved here from Chicago in 1980 and by '82 was a full blown Bronco fan.

They grew on me. Like mold.

epicSocialism4tw
11-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Moved here from Chicago in 1980 and by '82 was a full blown Bronco fan.

They grew on me. Like mold.

Might want to use that thing in the bathroom that emits water droplets from a nozzle high up in the wall.

tesnyde
11-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Since 1972. I was born, my dad said you don't have choice, so choose wisely. Broncos, Broncos, or get out of my house. When I choose wisley, he let my brothers and me open up a Christmas present early because we sat cheering on the team and they won.. I was happy with my choice, I'm not above a bribe, and it became a tradition to get to open up present early when they won.

DrFate
11-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Before the '86 season I got a book on NFL football and read about a guy named Elway. (I had just started following sports as a middle school kid)

I followed the Broncos on TV/newspaper and was hooked after the '86 playoffs.

epicSocialism4tw
11-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Since 1972. I was born, my dad said you don't have choice, so choose wisely. Broncos, Broncos, or get out of my house.

Ha!

Your dad knew how to handle that one! ^5

waz06
11-12-2011, 12:54 PM
I learned about about "football" when I moved to Laramie in 1976 to attend UW. Where I am from football is played with your feet - football. It is a penalty to touch the ball with your hands unless you are the goalie. Anyway the UW Cowboys had a decent team then and students attend games for free. I think we went to the Fiesta bowl that year and got crushed by Oklahoma and JC Watts before he became a politician. Our coach Fred Akers left us after that for Texas the bum.

The next year I started following the Broncos. Broncomania and Orange Crush fever engulfed Wyoming too. Great memories of what a real defense looks like and the original #7 producing just enough points to win games. I learned to hate the Raiders and also the Dallas Cowboys for ruining our magic season.

I attended my first Broncos game vs Baltimore in late 1983. Seated in the highest row of Mile Hi & had a great view of Elways 3 TDs in the 4th quarter for his 1st comeback. I remember finding out after the game that there was a Blue Oyster Cult and Rainbow concert next door at McNichols so we had to see that. I also remember driving thru a snowstorm after the Wyo border on the way back to Laramie.

I finally got season tickets in 1996 and saw the emergence of TD. I will never forget the shock and dissappointment watching the handful of Jaguars fans celebrating their upset win over us that season. Equally as bad is the playoff loss to Pittsburgh in 1984 and 2005.

On the current state of the Broncos - I hope Fox will be able to revive the Orange Crush 2.0
I like Tebow and I hope we give him a chance to succeed. I know watching Kyle Orton is not worth the 3 hour drive down sometimes thru blizzards. And a big **** U to anyone who advocates suck 4 Luck

sutoazul
11-12-2011, 07:34 PM
I've been a fan since 1995, when I started watching football. Basketball and baseball were my sports of choice and then started watching and understanding football. Played football in high school right when the Broncos won the two championships, so the whole team liked the Broncos. I played with Kyle Shanahan and met T. Davis at the orthodontics office. (we both got braces), so everything in Denver (Englewood) was about the Broncos those years.
Since then, the Broncos and football are my favorite sport and thing to watch and follow.

BroncoMan4ever
11-12-2011, 08:30 PM
i have watched every game since birth so technically 1985 so 26 years now. however seeing as i had no idea what was going on until I was 5 i am going to say 21 years. in my family if you wanted to be around and not sent to your room on sunday's you learned the game and you cheered for Denver. there were no other options.

the day it really sunk in and i became a die hard Broncos fan though, didn't come until I was 11 in 1996. That was the year I met Terrell Davis. TD to my kid eyes seemed like a giant, and the fact that he was a cool dude too was incredible to see. even now when I think of TD i still remember the guy being like a foot and a half taller than me and built like a bodybuilder even though i grew up and am now taller than he was and weigh a few pounds more than he did. to me he will always be huge. for that reason, he has always been and always will be my favorite Bronco.

ScottXray
11-12-2011, 09:42 PM
I became a fan ( sort of ) in 1964 ,as I used to Caddy for a neighbor guy ( Dick Work) who claimed to be an O linemen for the Broncos back then.

But I became a raging fan when I went to the Denver / Detroit preseason game at DU stadium in 66....the first ever win by an AFL team over a NFL team. I attended 1-2 games now and then until 68 but a tour in the army set me back for a while ( Denver almost NEVER got on TV then), especially out of the Denver area

After, I got out in 72 I turned into full blown Bronco Maniac, especially since my wifes grandparents had season tickets and I got to go to numerous games when one or the other didn't go. I got to attend some really memorable ones over the next 10 years, and even though I have lived in Portland since 81 have still maintained my loyalty to the Broncos all along.

I never could cheer on the seahawks ( I called them the HEEHAWks) especially when they were in our division.

I am a Bronco Fan....never anything else.

baja
11-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I rented a house for a Broncos O line man in Breckenridge in the early 70's. His name was Larry Kominski (sp)

kcbroncofan
11-13-2011, 03:29 AM
Great thread !!! Obviously don't post a lot, but this one was worth driving up my post count. I was born in the springs in 72 have been a fan ever since "The Drive". What a moment...Thanks for sharing your stories, getting a lot of goose bumps reading this. I have a five year old son who is not quite sure about football yet. I can't wait to see it happen to him..the moment where he becomes a fan. We live in a suburb outside Kansas City now so the Chefs Bronco games are a big deal around our house. Perhaps it happens today and my sons new hero will be Tebow much like mine was Elway. God willing.....

ElwayMD
11-13-2011, 05:10 AM
Been a Broncos fan for 26 years. I remember seeing the Broncos play when I lived in Iowa and since Iowa had no pro teams to latch onto I decided that Broncos were my team. I've been loyal ever since.

Armchair Bronco
11-13-2011, 06:05 AM
Started watching Broncos games back when John Ralston was head coach. Both my dad & my step-dad had season tickets in the same area at the old Mile High Stadium. 5th level, West Stands in the nosebleed section. We went to pretty much every home game unless there was 19 feet of snow.

Learned to hate the Raiders as a kid, and developed a hatred for the Chiefs and Dolts as an adult. Always liked the Seahawks and was sad to see them leave the AFC West. But now I can get my dream Denver-Seattle matchup in the Super Bowl.

Endy
11-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Glad you started this thread. We could use a bit less divisive talk around here.

Broncos fan since 1983. Coincidentally, John Elway and I moved to Denver in the same year. Not coincidentally, I became a Broncos fan. I used to cut out pictures of Elway and the Broncos from the Post and the News and use contact paper to laminate them. I hung those on my walls.

Also taped all the Broncos SuperBowl songs off the radio in the 80's too. Remember those? "I Love Elway" instead of "I love L.A." and so forth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3gl6qf18NQ

If I was smarter, I would embed that.

MrPeepers
11-13-2011, 07:22 AM
<table class="wikitable sortable jquery-tablesorter"><tbody><tr><td align="center">XVI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XVI)</td> <td> January 24, 1982</td> <td bgcolor="#D0E7FF">San Francisco 49ers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_San_Francisco_49ers_season)<sup>*</sup></td> <td align="center">26–21</td> <td bgcolor="#FFCCCC">Cincinnati Bengals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Cincinnati_Bengals_season)<sup>†</sup></td></tr></tbody></table>after that game, I wanted to pick an underdog and Denver was my underdog. I hated the 49ers. It was about the same time we got Elway as well. I was too young to know the Orange Crush from TV, but I knew what it was from reputation.

I grew up 1st as a Seahawks fan in Seattle for 2 yrs, then a Chargers fan in San Diego until I was 7, then we moved to Tennessee and for whatever reason I just picked my own team. I had never been to Colorado, but I liked the Rockies and the iconic ruggedness of this part of the country. I also loved the Orange Crush and the 80's uniforms. But, Elway got drafted and we had a few come from behind wins, I liked the underdog and Denver was my team until I moved to Denver in 1987 and it was now my hometown team as well.

Here I am in Arizona, one of the many loyal Bronco fans that still shows support.

Miss I.
11-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Glad you started this thread. We could use a bit less divisive talk around here.

Broncos fan since 1983. Coincidentally, John Elway and I moved to Denver in the same year. Not coincidentally, I became a Broncos fan. I used to cut out pictures of Elway and the Broncos from the Post and the News and use contact paper to laminate them. I hung those on my walls.

Also taped all the Broncos SuperBowl songs off the radio in the 80's too. Remember those? "I Love Elway" instead of "I love L.A." and so forth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3gl6qf18NQ

If I was smarter, I would embed that.

here ya go...cool find by the way and awesome post.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S3gl6qf18NQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Turd_Ferguson
11-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Born in 83. I had two uncles that had recently moved back to South Dakota from Denver and they were huge fans. My grandma would record the games for my uncles since they worked on sundays, and then they would watch the games after they got off work. I would watch those tapes over and over, as a kid. So in a way John Elway was my baby sitter.