PDA

View Full Version : Can we please fix the defense, Part XXXIVIILV

ColoradoDarin
11-05-2011, 06:16 PM
From Michael Lombardi (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823c4fab/article/week-9-lookahead-good-teams-need-to-separate-from-bad-ones)

12. Tim Tebow is the lightning rod for all that is wrong with the Broncos. But what keeps getting overlooked is that the Denver defense is no better now than it was last season. In fact, it's worse. And this has nothing to do with Tebow. The Broncos last season allowed an opposing quarterback rating of 93 and 7.8 yards per attempt. This year they are allowing a 107.1 rating and 8.1 per attempt. This is with Elvis Dumervil back in the lineup and adding excellent rookie rusher Von Miller. Tebow has played poorly, but so have most of the Broncos.The 3 & outs by the offense don't help the defense out, but that was the case the last 2 years.

tsiguy96
11-05-2011, 06:20 PM
weird how once again with seemingly more talent than the previous year the team just gets worse.

MVPlaya II - Electric Boogaloo
11-05-2011, 06:28 PM
weird how once again with seemingly more talent than the previous year the team just gets worse.

coaching comes 1st, then the players.

Popps
11-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Yea, you can't judge much from the last couple of games.

Tebow has been a disaster and even then... they gave up 15 points in one of the two games. The other game featured 14 points off of turnovers, and 31 given up by our D... who had zero support.

Now, I'm not one (generally) for blaming the other side of ball for the woes of a unit... but it does matter. With Orton at QB, we simpy saw better overall defensive play. The world champ Packers ran up a score on us.... and even they had 7 pts off of turnovers.

We've got a slightly below average defense, which IS actually an improvement from last season. But, this defense absolutely can't be put to repeated tests with no rest and expected to keep us in games. The offense has to sustain drives.

We absolutely need to address some key positions this off-season, but we do have some young guys like Ayers, Miller, Moore, Irving, Carter, Vaughn and others that can play various roles going forward. Not to mention the hopeful return to usefulness of a guy like Dumervil.

We've obviuosly got to get some help at CB this year. It's supposed to be a good FA crop, and a good draft. Meaning that we could use a #1 pick on a higher impact player... and still get some CB value with our 2nd pick.

I also like Allen, in general.

I don't think things are anywhere near as bleak as they have been in past years, defensively.

DBroncos4life
11-05-2011, 06:29 PM
We have punted more the last two games....

That One Guy
11-05-2011, 06:36 PM
It seems like the run D is better this year. That's gotta be the foundation of a defense. I'll take that as acceptable progress.

ICON
11-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Denver is 20th in Total Defense (YPG)17 vs Passing (YPG)17 vs Rushing (YPG)

not that great not that bad.

That One Guy
11-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Denver is 20th in Total Defense (YPG)17 vs Passing (YPG)17 vs Rushing (YPG)

not that great not that bad.

We're actually almost the exact same in Rushing YPA (17th) and Passing YPA (19th). I think that's a better stat, personally. Not nearly as bad as I recall last year being. OP article seems misleading as to how I remember last year.

Bob's your Information Minister
11-05-2011, 08:11 PM
You guys have an old, broken secondary.

Needs major repairs.

Ray Finkle
11-05-2011, 08:13 PM
Lombardi = MaGruder....

vanbrugh
11-05-2011, 08:36 PM
Personally i have faith in TT and his ways and mythical prudence.... Whatever this whole franchise has been sinkin into bowlens colon sack for years,lets hope Virgil T comes good - god MUST KNOW he owes us one or two after Mc"****in"daniels!

LongDongJohnson
11-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Defense has been a mix bag this year. Great at times while complete crap at other times. I guess thats a step in the right direction. Last year we were complete crap all the time. Except against the chiefs of course.

That One Guy
11-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Defense has been a mix bag this year. Great at times while complete crap at other times. I guess thats a step in the right direction. Last year we were complete crap all the time. Except against the chiefs of course.

Agreed. That's why I think OP is crazy.

ShutDownPoster
11-06-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm just wondering what FA in their right mind would want to come here, with this mess? Also, does anyone think Bowlen will open up his man purse anyway?

CEH
11-06-2011, 06:39 AM
No 4-12 team can have an offense go 0-18 on 3rd downs and expect it to hold up. Give me balanace then we can discuss where the real issues are

What we need is for our 2nd round pick to play and contribute, need Elvis to get over his injury issues and do his job, draft a stud CB opposite Champ, add in a FA or drafted DT . As the next steps in a rebuild I'll take it

Plus I wouldn't let Lombardi any where close to an real NFL team. The guy is a hanger oner.

cutthemdown
11-06-2011, 06:51 AM
I'm just wondering what FA in their right mind would want to come here, with this mess? Also, does anyone think Bowlen will open up his man purse anyway?

The only way to build for long term success is the draft. Forget about FA solving the Broncos problems.

gunns
11-06-2011, 07:02 AM

Agree, we just don't have all the parts. This is why I totally disagree with selling the farm to get Luck. We need to address the secondary in a big way, add to DT and LB. I think we're on the right track just not there yet.

chrisp
11-06-2011, 07:29 AM
I honestly feel that the defense has improved, but that that has been offset by a decline in the offense, particularly in recent games.

In the GB game I did feel like the offense was moving the ball but the defense just couldn't stop rogers - that one was on the defense. For Detroit I feel that the defense played pretty well considering the amount of three and outs and that the offense takes most of the blame. Also, I think if you take those two games out our defensive PPG is comparable to our yardage, i.e, top 20, which isn't great but is at least a step in the right direction.

However I am majorly concerned with opponent completion percentage and the number of big plays we're giving up through the air. Given the pass-rush we now have I put that down to the secondary, and possibly also the linebackers.

I'm sorely tempted to say that Cornerback should be our #1 position in the draft. Of course it depends upon who's there and where we're picking and how Tebow plays out the rest of the season.

If tebow continues to suck then we'll be picking top-5 again and should look hard at a QB. If he doesn't, then we'll win a few more games, pick somwhere around 10-20 and may have a good shot at getting a really decent corner.

However, we do also have some raw talent back there. I think Von Miller's performance has unfairly raised expectations around Moore so now people are inclined to view him as a bust even though he was a 2nd round pick. He may actually develop into a solid safety next season. There's other guys who are improving but the tough thing is that these days you need 4-5 guys back there who can play.

Also we ought to be able to trust that this coaching staff knows what its doing defensively. Its the offensive coaching I'm concerned about.....

CEH
11-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Agree, we just don't have all the parts. This is why I totally disagree with selling the farm to get Luck. We need to address the secondary in a big way, add to DT and LB. I think we're on the right track just not there yet.

I say go get Luck and we can still build a great team without a first round pick

What parts do you want. We just drafted 4 S in teh last 3 years and signed CHamp to a mega contract. We have seen vagabond top quality CBs aquired via trade/FA around the league so I think we can do the same for Champ if we free up DJs moneyYou can't have a team with pro bowlers ar every position. I contend if you have 5 pro bowlers you can be a playoff team assuming one of the pro bowlers is a QB. , We have seen RBs in the 2nd 3rd round are just as productive as RBs in the 1st round so we don't need a RB in the 1st. Guards you don't need to draft high as well. RT never are drafted in the first either. Center sure but you can always trade up into the first if one is sitting there like an Alex Mack. On defense, several All Pro MLBer were selected in the 2nd round. DTs are the biggest draft risks there is as we see many team have very good DT play from FA or lower round picks if you have a draft eye for that position. If we had Luck and he is all that Elway thinks he is that would give us Luck , CHamp, ELvis/Miller and Clady and Kuper as All Pro level players

A great QB can make a RB or WR look All Pro but very rarely is it the other way around.

Problem is other team will look at Luck the same way as Denver.

cutthemdown
11-06-2011, 07:38 AM

I think whoever has first pick selects Luck and thats it. There won't be a huge trade. Maybe if it's the colts, then manning heals, they would trade it. I doubt it though. For the Broncos to get him they probably have to get the number 1 pick.

Play2win
11-06-2011, 08:35 AM
It seems we are stopping the run better that we have in quite a few years. That is where it all starts. You need a solid foundation before you can put up the walls, and definitely way before you can even think about putting the electricity in.