PDA

View Full Version : QB 2012

DrFate
11-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Suppose the Rams finish 1-15. They have the #1 pick. They draft Luck.

They then announce that they intend to trade ... Bradford!!!

Does EFX make a call?

Requiem
11-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Suppose the Rams already won a game against the New Orleans Saints. . .

DrFate
11-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Crap

That never should have happened - in any event, see corrected question. :)

LRtagger
ROFL total failure here

strafen
Suppose the Rams finish 0-16. They have the #1 pick. They draft Luck.

Does EFX make a call?Are you freakin' kiddin' me?
You can't be serious, man.
That's flat out ridiculous.
I hope our standards and goals stop at one point going down...

DrFate
11-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Yes, I ****ed up the initial question. Feel free to laugh. I deserve it.

My question stands though. There is ESPN chatter that Indy might draft Luck and trade Manning. Would Broncos fans be willing to pay through the nose for Manning or Bradford? What would the price realistically be?

Strafen - I'm not endorsing the idea. I'm asking the question. If a team such as the Rams or Colts drafts Luck and decides to trade the incumbent instead - would Denver fans be interested in a short-term Manning or a long-term Bradford?

ColoradoDarin
11-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Suppose Indy takes Luck at #1, suppose Manning is completely healthy. Indy decides to go young and we trade #5 this year, plus 2nd, plus 1st 2013 for Manning...

strafen
11-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Suppose Indy takes Luck at #1, suppose Manning is completely healthy. Indy decides to go young and we trade #5 this year, plus 2nd, plus 1st 2013 for Manning...

I don't know where this came from, but I've overheard someone saying that if the Colts draft Luck, that Manning may request a trade.

I'm not sure how much truth there is in that rumor, but I wouldn't discard the possibility that the Colts may indeed go young and trade Manning

Smiling Assassin27
11-03-2011, 09:37 AM

WITHOUT sam bradford. if by some miracle, bradford became available, i'd expect the FO to at least make the call.

Requiem
I'm pretty sure the front office will deduce after the rest of Tebow suckitude that there will be a few quarterbacks in the draft better than him that aren't named Andrew Luck.

No need to trade for Manning or Bradford.

Requiem
WITHOUT sam bradford. if by some miracle, bradford became available, i'd expect the FO to at least make the call.

The Rams are not going to trade Sam Bradford.

strafen
11-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Matt Barkley should be available for us.
We still don't know what position we'll land in the draft, but Barkley would be good in my book...

Smiling Assassin27
11-03-2011, 09:41 AM

Twinkles down.

Manning is officially an unknown quantity after neck surgery. He's got maybe 3 years left at most, maybe less as an effective qb, depending on how many hits he takes. No need to mortgage he future for a single player.

Sincerely,

Mike Ditka

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/854/104/214fb06e21e24ff26c2de4cc7942f262_display_image.jpg ?1302638536

Smiling Assassin27
11-03-2011, 09:41 AM

I concur.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Suppose we built a large, wooden badger...

DrFate
11-03-2011, 09:51 AM

Even with Luck on the table? Not buying the hype?

DrFate
11-03-2011, 09:53 AM

I don't think my question is that outlandish...

There is so much chatter about a mega-trade where the Broncos send every pick from now until 2050 to get Luck. I don't think Miami trades Luck, regardless.

Indy and the Rams would have a tough choice, and could dangle their current QB instead. Is there a more likely scenario?

Requiem
11-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Even with Luck on the table?

The Rams aren't going to be the worst team in the league and desperately need help at WR and CB. They have three guys down at CB alone. Luck isn't going to St. Louis.

Smilin Assassin
11-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Even with Luck on the table? Not buying the hype?

Not w/the Contract Bradford got. He got the last MASSIVE rookie deal 2 yrs ago.

ColoradoDarin
11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Twinkles down.

Manning is officially an unknown quantity after neck surgery. He's got maybe 3 years left at most, maybe less as an effective qb, depending on how many hits he takes. No need to mortgage he future for a single player.

Sincerely,

Mike Ditka

I wouldn't do it on the Broncos end. Especially since I do think that Manning is done with that neck injury (even if he has 3-4 years left, we trade 2 #1's away, and we'll still need a QBOTF, unless we develop Tebow in that time?).

But from the Colts perspective - if you are going to draft Luck, I would also cash in on Manning, gaining an extra 1st and 2nd round picks in the same draft, plus a first the next year. Put all those extra pieces around Luck and you're set for the following 10-12 years.

TonyR
11-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I think the Colts are much more likely to trade the Luck pick, or draft and trade Luck, than they are to trade Manning. Unless of course it is determined that Manning can't play any more.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: our shot at getting Luck, and resurrecting this franchise, was fatally compromised by that lucky win in Miami.

TheReverend
11-03-2011, 10:11 AM
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1589374/panda-o.gif

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-03-2011, 10:15 AM
I'd trade the farm for Luck.

I'd trade half the farm for Bradford.

I wouldn't trade a hot load of **** for Manning.

supermanhr9
11-03-2011, 10:15 AM
This is a valid question but from a different viewpoint.

The Rams are on the hook for Bradford's record setting contract, they would have to be willing to practically give him away for little because the big part of the deal would be the receiving team would have to pick up the remaining salary.

That being said, with the new rookie wage scale, you could free up some cap space and still have your franchise QB. Which would work out, because if they end up with the #1 pick, Spag's is gone and the new coach may want "His" guy.

supermanhr9
11-03-2011, 10:17 AM
But, they have already paid Bradford so much money, they would keep him and trade away Luck would be my guess.

Luck will be #1, just depends on whether that team actually keeps him. Peyton isn't going anywhere.

maher_tyler
11-03-2011, 11:03 AM
I highly doubt the Rams would draft Luck with them having Bradford. They're going to finish with at least 3 wins imo. They still have to play AZ and Seattle twice each. I think they can in the minimum get one win out of all that. The only teams that need a QB worse than us is Indy and Miami, maybe Minnesota. I doubt they will finish worse than us, Indy and Miami though. Either way, i think we end up with Luck, Jones or Barkley.

Dedhed
11-03-2011, 11:18 AM
But, they have already paid Bradford so much money, they would keep him and trade away Luck would be my guess.

Luck will be #1, just depends on whether that team actually keeps him. Peyton isn't going anywhere.

I was talking about this scenario last weekend. I think the Rams would trade Bradford and take Luck. I don't know what Bradford's contract looks like, but with the rookie wage scale, Luck could actually come cheaper.

ColoradoDarin
11-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I highly doubt the Rams would draft Luck with them having Bradford. They're going to finish with at least 3 wins imo. They still have to play AZ and Seattle twice each. I think they can in the minimum get one win out of all that. The only teams that need a QB worse than us is Indy and Miami, maybe Minnesota. I doubt they will finish worse than us, Indy and Miami though. Either way, i think we end up with Luck, Jones or Barkley.

Rams play Az this week, and I doubt Kolb is going to play.

Durango
11-03-2011, 12:01 PM

? - Ponder

Play2win
11-03-2011, 12:17 PM
? - Ponder

I think Ponder is going to have a hell of a second half.

DrFate
11-03-2011, 01:12 PM
I think Ponder is going to have a hell of a second half.

I have to assume that JAC, MIN, and TEN will let their most recent #1 pick have a chance, so these teams might trade the #1 pick (if they got it)

The most likely teams to get the #1 pick are:

Colts
Dolphins
Rams
Cardinals

(based on current W/L record)

Hence my OP - would the fanbase in Denver be interested in a mega-trade for anyone other than Luck? (of course, not all are interested in a mega-trade for Luck either)

broncs2bowl
11-03-2011, 02:06 PM
How bout trade for Manning? :))))

bendog
11-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I have to assume that JAC, MIN, and TEN will let their most recent #1 pick have a chance, so these teams might trade the #1 pick (if they got it)

The most likely teams to get the #1 pick are:

Colts
Dolphins
Rams
Cardinals

(based on current W/L record)

Hence my OP - would the fanbase in Denver be interested in a mega-trade for anyone other than Luck? (of course, not all are interested in a mega-trade for Luck either)

I think EFX have to pretty much ignore the fanbase opinion, because there will be a large % who will say for non-football reasons that Tebow was not put in a good situation, when the fact has turned out to be that there's no good situation for him ... at least now, and I'll be surprised at this pt if the kid can turn it around. Maybe, but in the NFL a team just can't keep putting in a guy who cannot recognize 1-1 coverage and beat it in 3 secs.

So, they'll pull the best trade they can unless they already have a slot where they think they can get their guy. Luck is most likely not gonna be possible.

Punisher
11-03-2011, 03:37 PM

Hilarious!

Hercules Rockefeller
11-03-2011, 04:10 PM
The Rams are not going to have the 1st overall pick.

Arizona x2
Seattle x2
Cleveland

Seriously? People actually think they could still pick 1st with those 5 games remaining?

And for that matter, Arizona:

StL x2
Cleveland
Seattle

Seattle, StL, and Arizona are each going to give wins to each other and take themselves out of contention for the 1st pick.

bombay
11-03-2011, 04:13 PM
It would be pretty crazy to give much up for a 13 year vet coming off of a serious neck injury.

maven
11-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Would be interesting if Manning is traded(no damn reason to stay if they take Luck) and wins a super bowl. Luck blows a knee and shoulder back to back years.

Gort
11-03-2011, 04:16 PM

that was funny.

but don't pat yourself on the back just yet... a stopped clock is still correct twice a day and you're still on MacGruder's list!

OBF1
11-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Stop the back up-left overs talk already.

I was on the light rail and heard that Jamarcus Russell has been contacted about a comback in the NFL by the Bronco's front office.

Not only would this make sense hearing this about EFX, it would also be extreamely cap friendly. Serious, how much does all you can eat home town buffet and purple drank cost???

maven
11-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Oh, and the Broncos trade for Manning. That's a good one. Manning is going to request a trade if Indy goes Luck. He's not going to babysit/teach the kid. Now Bradford, you never know. I just can't see them giving up on him already. But, in the NFL anything can happen.

Ratboy
11-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Suppose we don't win another game and we have the first pick.

**** yeah!

Ratboy
11-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Oh, and the Broncos trade for Manning. That's a good one. Manning is going to request a trade if Indy goes Luck. He's not going to babysit/teach the kid. Now Bradford, you never know. I just can't see them giving up on him already. But, in the NFL anything can happen.

With what they paid him... can they give up?

ZONA
11-03-2011, 06:41 PM
There's just so many dynamics to this whole thing. Who gets the #1 pick obviously. Will Peyton make a full recovery. Will Luck pull an Eli if the wrong team picks him. I'm sure this thing is going to be very interesting. The top 5 selections next year will be a circus.

extralife
11-03-2011, 06:46 PM
If you think Bradford is better than Barkley/Sooner Kid (I'm so good at college ball), then you trade for him. If don't, then you don't. Pretty simple. Bradford already has a good rookie year under his belt, though. If the Rams take Luck and ask for our first and next year's first for Bradford, I'd do it.

KipCorrington25
11-03-2011, 06:48 PM
We just need to do everything possible to get the best QB we can in the off season if that be trading for Manning, Bradford or whoever or drafting Barkely, Jones or whoever I don't care but after seeing the terrible performances this year from Orton and Tebow I'll take any sort of change.

I predict 3 years from now neither Orton, Tebow or Quinn will even be in the NFL. Heck, it might be in 2 years.

ZONA
11-03-2011, 06:53 PM
It would be pretty crazy to give much up for a 13 year vet coming off of a serious neck injury.

Who just so happens to have a monster contract in place.

I don't understand how some people here can say the Broncos have no shot at getting Luck. Season is half over and we have 2 wins. We landed the 2nd overall pick last year with 4. Anyone of the bad teams right now could end up winning a few games. The Broncos needed a miracle win just to beat Miami. Pretty much the whole game they worked us. We got lucky to win that. Those teams could do the same thing. Did anybody expect the Rams to beat the Saints. Nope. This game can be funny sometimes. There's alot of players who get paid well and have pride. And watching the Broncos play, there's no way they will be favored in any of their remaining games. It is totally realistic we could end up with a 2-14 season and very much in the hunt for Luck.

Durango
11-03-2011, 07:04 PM
It just seems obvious either Miami or Indianapolis will end up with that #1 pick, but, although I would like to rule out the Broncos just based on the remaining misery to come the rest of this year, we certainly could be right there banging' on the door.

I saw an ESPN report earlier this afternoon in which Manning said he'd like to come back for the last 5 games, if for no other reason than to gauge where he is with this neck injury.

If he were to play, I have to believe Indianapolis would win a couple-three games.

That leaves Miami, and maybe Denver, although I hope not the Broncos.

I would like to see Luck here as much as anyone, but that kind of dubious honor would mean this team would be total collapse.

BroncoBuff
11-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Does EFX make a call?

Reasonable question actually, but we call only if TT falls flat the rest of the way.

TonyR
11-03-2011, 08:08 PM
That leaves Miami...

Problem is we're up 2 games on them and they have us with the tie breaker since we beat them. So they'd have to win 3 more games than us the rest of the way. Very unlikely. That win against them was a killer.

maven
11-03-2011, 08:17 PM
There's alot of players who get paid well and have pride.

Anyone having St. Louis beating Nola this past weekend?

A lot of of these players play for the money, you could be gone next year in the nfl replaced by a young cheap rookie.

maven
11-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I would like to see Luck here as much as anyone, but that kind of dubious honor would mean this team would be total collapse.

The Broncos are pretty bad. That's the reality.

extralife
11-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Anyone having St. Louis beating Nola this past weekend?

A lot of of these players play for the money, you could be gone next year in the nfl replaced by a young cheap rookie.

what else is there to play for? team pride? players don't stick with teams--and if they were playing for team pride, they'd want to win anyway. the fact is every one involved in an NFL team is playing, coaching, or making decisions for their job. you fail and you're gone, and that goes for coaches and GMs too. those people aren't going to throw games. mcdaniels drafted Tebow to buy himself some time and he was out before the kid stepped onto the field.

Requiem
11-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Extralife. . .

YOU PLAY FOR THE LOVE OF DA GAME.

extralife
11-03-2011, 08:40 PM
postin' for the love of the game itt

Requiem
11-03-2011, 08:40 PM
itt technical instutite. that is where jhns earned his stripes and bent for his soap.

Harvitz81
11-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Rams are not going to finish with the worse record this year. They have Sea and Ari in their division. The Dolphins or Indy will be drafting #1. My money is on Indy as the dolphins are too competitive for their own good and are going to scrap 2-4 wins out this year.

The question then becomes, can we leapfrog Miami to Indy to get the #1. Indy not putting Manning on IR says a lot as they want to see in practice if he is recovered/recovering to the point that they can convince themselves he'll be around for 3-4 more years. This is best case scenario for us as with the right offer we could potentially get the #1. Granted, Indy will be going all out for 3-4 years if this is the case and pretty much guaranteed Clady would have to be part of that package.

If Manning doesn't show them enough to convince the front office that he is going to be the same, then end of story - they draft Luck.

extralife
11-03-2011, 11:16 PM
they're drafting luck regardless of what manning does or says. the packers are sitting there right in front of the entire NFL, a glaring testament to drafting the heir when he's there. rodgers sat. favre was pissed. favre was a ****ing icon and they told him to go **** himself, and they got a trophy out of it. the colts aren't blind to that.

Inkana7
11-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Bradford has 9 career TDs and a giant contract. Pass.

DrFate
11-04-2011, 07:23 AM
the packers are sitting there right in front of the entire NFL, a glaring testament to drafting the heir when he's there.

I don't like this as a direct comparison - Rodgers was drafted #24. It's apples and oranges. I am unable to remember a #1 overall pick who sat for more than a year (that one who did sit an entire year was Palmer).

If they draft Luck to sit him a year or move Manning immediately - possible. The concept of a multi-year Rodgers-like grooming period - not possible.

TheReverend
11-04-2011, 07:31 AM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpw6qPLzBw2dbT2Oc3MNlgprCODupq0 9fXBQo306W_fY7KRpFfZUyoaoBN1A

HooptyHoops
11-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I believe Luck is going to be a great QB....and I don't want us to trade any players to get the pick if the front office wants to go get him(go ahead and send them 3 1st rounders)....Its so hard to find impact players in the money positions, and right now we have Champ, Clady and Dumervil/Miller in those prime positions....you just don't trade good players out of those positions, as teams will draft like crazy to get a good CB, LT and DE and we already have them, so let's keep them and bring in more pieces!

bendog
11-04-2011, 08:51 AM
I think any team trading the Luck pick is pretty remote even with St.L and Indy, though finances might force StL to do it and politically Indy might not be able to do it if pAYATON is publicly poed, but talentwise McDanielsgroupofsuck has to be the third worst in the league behind mia and indy. If we don't pick in the top 3, I'll be surprised. And if we do, all we'd really be giving up is the front end of the draft in 12 and the first in 13. And it's not like we're gonna be good next year either.

HooptyHoops
11-04-2011, 09:09 AM
I think any team trading the Luck pick is pretty remote even with St.L and Indy, though finances might force StL to do it and politically Indy might not be able to do it if pAYATON is publicly poed, but talentwise McDanielsgroupofsuck has to be the third worst in the league behind mia and indy. If we don't pick in the top 3, I'll be surprised. And if we do, all we'd really be giving up is the front end of the draft in 12 and the first in 13. And it's not like we're gonna be good next year either.

So, the front office is hoping that we end up with the 1st pick, or the Rams, or the Colts, as they may listen to the trade offers....and that's a big MAYBE!!

BroncoBuff
11-04-2011, 09:20 AM

Threw for 18 and ran for a 19th last year ... 3 TD passes thus far in 2011.

bendog
11-04-2011, 09:29 AM
So, the front office is hoping that we end up with the 1st pick, or the Rams, or the Colts, as they may listen to the trade offers....and that's a big MAYBE!!

yes it is. And your point?

Mile High Mojoe
11-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Does EFX make a call?

I love how all the Luck scenarios always revolve around losing or rolling over when there are still 9 games to go. At this moment as dire as the situation appears at present the Broncos are only 2 games out of first place in the AFC West.

Let’s not talk about this week’s game or the possibility that God forbid the Broncos might actually beat the Raiders, use it as a spring board then pull together as a team, then put more wins together and make a run. Is it likely? Maybe not but as a Broncos Fan I focus on the possibility that it could happen.

No instead let’s focus on what we don’t have and keep rolling out the Luck scenarios; it’s far more interesting than the 9 games still left to play this season. Oh…excuse I need to be thinking about losses and losing percentages for next year to see what draft position we get in next year’s draft then I’d be a forward thinking smart Broncos Fan right?

Tombstone RJ
11-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Does EFX make a call?

interesting... I wonder how much is left on his rookie contract and what the Broncos would have to give up to get him.

is there a no trade clause in a rookie contract?

DrFate
11-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I love how all the Luck scenarios always revolve around losing or rolling over when there are still 9 games to go

Apparently literacy is a skill you are lacking. My post specifically said the Broncos would NOT be trying to get Luck. Unless something changes dramatically, this franchise needs a quarterback of the future. Whether they finish 2-14 or 11-5 they will likely be considering other options at quarterback.

ScottXray
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Just like with the other teams in the race to the bottom , If we have the #1 pick it is a certainty that Luck will be the choice.

If we don't have that pick then ?????. Most likely a QB anyway. Although there are no sure things in the draft, Luck looks as close to one as there is.

With 9 games to go there is a lot of football left before anything is determined. I also think Miami is playing too well to lose them all and will win >1 game. Indy is likely to win at least 1 even if Manning doesn't play ( and I think it is likely that he will NOT see the field at all this year no matter how well he practices).

Its too early to make any firm predictions yet as Denver, Miami, St.L, Minn, Ari, Seattle, Jac are ALL still in possible position to end up with that pick. And I probably forgot 1 or two others.

What would be rediculous would be if Denver gets the #1 and then Luck says he won't play for us. As far as Indy goes would we then trade the pick to them , bringing everything full circle for Elway?

TonyR
11-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I also think Miami is playing too well to lose them all and will win >1 game.

The problem is that because of the head-to-head tie breaker even if we lose out Miami would have to win 3 or more games for the Broncos to get the #1 pick over them.

bendog
11-04-2011, 12:47 PM
The problem is that because of the head-to-head tie breaker even if we lose out Miami would have to win 3 or more games for the Broncos to get the #1 pick over them.

It's like their coach went for two on purpose. Sneaky genius.

Shotgun Willie
11-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Nope. There is no head to head tiebreaker when it comes to the NFL draft. Playoffs, yes. Draft, no.

First tiebreaker for draft is strength of schedule.