PDA

View Full Version : Which current members of the roster will be around AFTER Elway’s 3-year plan?

montrose
11-02-2011, 07:12 AM
John Elway has told Kevin Harlin and a few others that the Broncos rebuilding project will take three years. With that in mind, to illustrate how massive the turnover may or may not be, how many members of the current 53 would you presently guess are a part of the 2014 Broncos? Choose all that apply

KevinJames
11-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Nice thread

should of put to versions of Tebow

QB version and converted H-back / wildcat QB

jhns
11-02-2011, 07:35 AM
That is tough considering the average career is so short. I am working on my random guess though.

vonqkilla
11-02-2011, 07:43 AM
One guy got a vote from me.

Play2win
11-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Nice thread

should of put to versions of Tebow

QB version and converted H-back / wildcat QB

Right. That is the question. If Tebow does not work out at QB, do you keep him as a viable, contributing member of the Broncos-- to some degree, or do you just cut you losses?

orinjkrush
11-02-2011, 07:45 AM
i have a fear that Clady or Von will be packaged with choices for Luck.

Shades of Chris Hinton I guess.

DrFate
11-02-2011, 07:47 AM
. If Tebow does not work out at QB, do you keep him as a viable, contributing member of the Broncos

From a football perspective, this makes sense.

Does it make sense from a contract perspective? Can you pay a utility player QB money?

Play2win
11-02-2011, 08:00 AM
From a football perspective, this makes sense.

Does it make sense from a contract perspective? Can you pay a utility player QB money?

Good point.

It used to be, that fiscal logic, reasoning how much you paid a ballplayer in the NFL, just didn't matter. But, with the current state of affairs, it matters a lot.

Rohirrim
11-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I picked Von Miller. Period.

Pick Six
11-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Champ and Dawkins will be retired in 3 years...unfortunately. I like watching both of them play...:thumbs:

BroncoInferno
11-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I picked Von Miller. Period.

I see Clady and Kuper are close to locks as well. Decker is getting close to "keeper" status. There are a few others who are rookies/second year guys who have the chance to stick if they successfully develop (Walton, Beadles, Bey Bey, Julian Thomas, etc).

Dos Rios
11-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Syd'quan.

And it's my view that Colquitt has it locked up.

Steve Sewell
11-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Very few, and thank god for that...this team is freakin terrible.

The only bright spots this year have been, McGahee, Miller, Decker, and our punter and kicker.

montrose
11-02-2011, 10:22 AM
On my choices:

Ayers - Best DL on the team, fits the 4-3 scheme well
Colquitt- Punters are year-to-year but I couldn't omit the team's most consistent player.
Decker - Solid #2 WR, has taken to the area
Franklin - EFX draft pick whose future may be at G but has promise
Green - EFX pick, they like him
Kuper - Had to waver a bit just because of contract and age but he's playing so well they'll have to keep some continuity
Miller - EFX's crown jewel, only way he's gone is if he's packaged for Luck (which isn't out of the question)
Moore - EFX pick, has potential
Prater - No reason to move on
D.Thomas - They seem to like his potential and once he gets healthy has the talent to be a threat
J.Thomas - EFX pick they raved about in camp

On my key omissions:

Bailey - I have the feeling they're going to send him to a contender at some point
Beadles - He sucks
Bunkley - I think they draft heavy DT over the next few years
Clady - This one was tough but I have feeling he'll want Top 5 LT money which Broncos wont pay for a guy whose not one anymore
Dumervil - No way they keep paying an undersized DE that money unless his production returns to 2009 form
Irving - Hardest one because he was an EFX 3rd rounder but all indications are hes been dissapointing
Mays - MLB will be a top priority in next years
McGahee - Too old at that position
Moreno - Better suited for a pass happy offense
Tebow - Wont be kept around for a Wildcat role, he'll move on to keep his dream alive
Walton - Sucks just like Beadles
Williams - Age will be getting up there as the contract baloons
Woodyard - I hope hes still around but you gotta figure he chases a starting job somewhere

BroncoMan4ever
11-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Miller, Moore, Franklin, Carter and J Thomas will be around simply because they were actual Fox picks which means these are guys he believes can be part of the foundation of this team

Decker is the lone receiver still on the team because he is the best on the roster and the others either want to move on(ROyal) are replaceable backups(Willis, Dell and Cosby) or will have worn out a welcome in the trainers office(D Thomas)

aside from Thomas as a TE i think Fells could still be around. he is the best blocker and a good occasional receiver.

Aside from Franklin the only OL member i can see still in Denver is Kuper. he is the best lineman we have and his experience and ability will not be allowed to leave. Clady is a possibility, but it hinges on his returrning to form and the amount of money he will be seeking on his next deal. he isn't playing like a top 5 LT and doesn't deserved to be paid like one.

i don't envision any of our current DL being on the roster in 3 years. Ayers and Doom are the most likely, but i doubt they will pay big money to Ayers to return and unless Doom can return to prior form he will be used as trade bait to a 3-4 willing to take a risk or just flat out cut

outside of Miller and Irving the only LB i see still with the team is Woodyard. I think that time during training camp this year when DJ was being held out of practice (when not injured) the team was looking at trading him. i don't think the staff is all that enamored with him and would be fine with trading him away in the offseason. Woodyard will get a very good offer from the Broncos to compete for the starting WLB position and continue to be our ST ace and captain.

outside of Carter and Moore in our secondary the only possible i see is Thompson. had injury not hit i believe he would be starting opposite of Champ right now. in 3 years he probably won't be a starter, but a really good Nickel or Dime back, ST contributor and possible return man.

and Colquit and Prater because they are 2 of the best in the league

So i have as my still on the roster in 2014 players
Miller
Moore
Franklin
Irving
Carter
J. Thomas
Fells
Decker
Kuper
Woodyard
Thompson
Colquit
Prater

Surprising ommisions
D. Thomas - injuries are a bitch and i don't think he lives up to the 1st round pick or stays on the field that much.

McGahee - running goood now, but age and injuries will take their toll and he will probably be gone at the end of next season

Clady - not the LT he used to be anymore which is sad that his prime has already passed. will probably want big money and is not worth it anymore.

Ayers - he has improved but is not the force he was expected to be. will survive as a backup/rotational guy for a season or 2 more and be replaced by someone younger and better

Doom - not the player he once was. will either be traded or cut unless he turns it around

Champ - age and injuries are catching him. i am surprised we brought him back this season and i can see him being traded to a contender as soon as this coming offseason. poor guy has squandered the best years of his career in Washington and in a bad time in Denver, deserves a shot at a ring since he has accomplished everything else possible in his career.

BroncoMan4ever
11-02-2011, 02:07 PM
i have a fear that Clady or Von will be packaged with choices for Luck.

Shades of Chris Hinton I guess.

i think Von is probably the lone untouchable on the roster. this franchise thinks he is going to become the next Derrick Thomas, no way will they let that walk. Clady won't bother me, because he isn't playing like he used to anyway.