PDA

View Full Version : Tebow's end of game success (need more spread)

IHaveALight
10-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Everyone is blasting the play calling. To me, it's not so much the play calling that's the problem it's the system. Tebow has had success at the end of game the last two weeks for a reason. Because we were down so far that we had to put him in the shotgun, spread it out and run hurry up. This is what he excels at. They need to run this all game and he will have more success early on.

Now I know everyone says you can't run the spread in the NFL and the QB has to be able to be an efficient pocket passer. He isn't a pocket passer right now and it's not going to happen over night so I say run 75% spread and let him slowly gain experience under center. But for now don't force it.

jhns
10-23-2011, 03:34 PM
How can it not be the play calling? I am not at all qualified to be a coordinator and I called exactly what we were running on over 80% of the plays. My friends were just shaking their heads and laughing as I did it. What was it? 3 of the first 4 third downs were QB runs? McCoy is a joke.

KO5K
10-23-2011, 03:35 PM
<s class="hash"></s> (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Elias) Today, the Broncos became 1st team since merger to win gm in which they trailed by 15+ pts with 3 min remaining in the 4th quarter.

Whatever they were doing in those last 3 minutes, they need to roll out for the entire game.

IHaveALight
10-23-2011, 03:36 PM
The play calling is only a result of the system and game plan. Once the game plan was flushed and they had to spread it out the play calling wasn't holding the team back anymore.

Bronx33
I saw one too many runs in a row numerous times today.

Agamemnon
Everyone is blasting the play calling. To me, it's not so much the play calling that's the problem it's the system. Tebow has had success at the end of game the last two weeks for a reason. Because we were down so far that we had to put him in the shotgun, spread it out and run hurry up. This is what he excels at. They need to run this all game and he will have more success early on.

Now I know everyone says you can't run the spread in the NFL and the QB has to be able to be an efficient pocket passer. He isn't a pocket passer right now and it's not going to happen over night so I say run 75% spread and let him slowly gain experience under center. But for now don't force it.

It seems to be working in Carolina. They don't run a pure spread, but they run a lot of shotgun and let Cam air it out rather than forcing him to pass on 3rd downs only.

MacGruder
10-23-2011, 03:38 PM

Great post man.. I don't even think it's about what offense they run tho.. it's about being aggressive rather than ultra conservative...

I am no Orton fan but Fox's conservative playing style makes ANY QB look terrible.. yes it helps Fox's D.. but is it worth it if you get your QB killed or ruin his confidence to protect your own defensive rep as a coach?

To me it is selfishness on Fox's part. It paid off today against a terrible offensive team.. but is the Bronco's D good enough to carry the team by itself against better O?

Agamemnon
10-23-2011, 03:38 PM
The play calling is only a result of the system and game plane. Once the game plan was flushed and they had to spread it out the play calling wasn't holding the team back anymore.

In other words McCoy is awful at game planning with Tebow...

MacGruder
10-23-2011, 03:45 PM
If the opposing D is going to come at Tebow so aggressively.. AND if the Oline can't protect Tebow anyway.. why not run the option?

Tebow was getting blasted in the pocket and the opposing D wasn't getting punished.. if you attack them with the option it will make them think twice about rushing so aggressively..

Jay3
10-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I think it's because Tebow protects the ball like a baby, won't pull the trigger, and doesn't throw receivers open right now.

In the 4th, he just opens it up because he has to. Picks one that looks the closest to open and takes a shot ( because he has to). He's got to find a way to do that the whole game, without throwing interceptions.

MacGruder
10-23-2011, 03:57 PM
I think it's because Tebow protects the ball like a baby, won't pull the trigger, and doesn't throw receivers open right now.

In the 4th, he just opens it up because he has to. Picks one that looks the closest to open and takes a shot ( because he has to). He's got to find a way to do that the whole game, without throwing interceptions.

I disagree Jay.. the offense was too predictable and without aggression... that helps Fox's D but it kills the O too..

Especially when the D knows you want to run all the time.. they just played right in their hands.

The way they should have attacked Miami was by PASSING MORE not less.. because everyone expects Tebow to run.

This is why cam has been so successful.. because everyone expected him to rely on his legs and the coaches let him be aggressive passing the ball.

It is possible this game was about helping Tebow get comfortable taking snaps.. that is my only guess for the crazy things they did..

BroncoBuff
10-23-2011, 03:59 PM
In other words McCoy is awful at game planning with Tebow...
You are correct sir, though it's not all his fault. This playbook is not Timbo friendly.

Tebow's unique skill set fairly cries out for a wholesale re-vamp of this offense. McCoy doesn't seem like the man for that job.

MacGruder
10-23-2011, 04:07 PM
You are correct sir, though it's not all his fault. This playbook is not Timbo friendly.

Tebow's unique skill set fairly cries out for a wholesale re-vamp of this offense. McCoy doesn't seem like the man for that job.

Are you sure about this? I thought they were using McD's system.. and Mcd's system is based on Belichick's system which should be very Tebow friendly..

Agamemnon
10-23-2011, 04:13 PM

I tend to agree with this. I tend to see it as thinking too much, but overall I think the idea is the same. The guy just isn't fully comfortable reading NFL defenses or running this ****ty offense, so he tends to hesitate a lot out of fear of turning the ball over.

I'm still not clear what was going on with him in the 3rd quarter with all those massively overthrown passes, other than the simple answer of frayed nerves.

BroncoMan4ever
10-23-2011, 04:26 PM
play calling sucked. Tebow needs to develop a rhythm and the lack of pass plays don't allow him to find his groove. i understand you want to alleviate pressure on him, but you also need to let him play.

also going back to the style of play that didn't work for 55 minutes in OT instead of sticking with what worked would have cost the team the game had the D not forced the turnover.

MacGruder
10-23-2011, 04:28 PM
play calling sucked. Tebow needs to develop a rhythm and the lack of pass plays don't allow him to find his groove. i understand you want to alleviate pressure on him, but you also need to let him play.

also going back to the style of play that didn't work for 55 minutes in OT instead of sticking with what worked would have cost the team the game had the D not forced the turnover.

Very very well said.

It really makes no sense whatsoever.. they could have just kept Orton in the game and asked him to hand the ball off all game.. Tebow just had to clean up more of a mess this way.

Jetmeck
10-23-2011, 04:38 PM
It seems to be working in Carolina. They don't run a pure spread, but they run a lot of shotgun and let Cam air it out rather than forcing him to pass on 3rd downs only.

Exactly..................

IHaveALight
10-23-2011, 04:41 PM

I agree. Once OT started I told my buddy they we're probably going to blow it now because there wouldn't be any urgency and they would get all conservative again.

IHaveALight
10-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Most of you guys just aren't getting it. We just need more spread...

http://food.lizsteinberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/tahini-spread-cafe-liz-550x366.jpg