PDA

View Full Version : Has this been done?

chickennob2
10-21-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm not advocating doing this, as it might be illegal (and if you're caught would almost certainly get you ejected).

So I feel like NFL teams rely pretty heavily on the radio communications between a coach and a QB. It seems like you could sneak in enough equipment as a fan to scan for the frequency the team you want to lose is using and pollute that frequency with enough garbage to make it unusable. And I doubt it would be very easy for them to change frequencies, as it would almost certainly involve interacting with the device in the quarterback's helmet. Maybe they could do it between series, but what's to say you can't just repeat the process every drive? And it would certainly disrupt the other team's performance. I'm sure they could work around it, but it's another distraction. And I doubt, for a while at least, that any stadium would have on hand the necessary equipment/expertise/manpower to track you down by triangulating your signal or something.

I guess what I'm asking is:

1. Does this seem feasible?
2. Have you heard of anyone doing this?

Just a casual thought in the midst of a 1-4 season.

Jay3
10-21-2011, 03:26 PM
No. I don't think there's a piece of equipment to do the broadcasting. Scanners just "listen." A device that broadcasts is regulated by the FCC as to frequency and bandwidth. You would basically have to own the same Motorola equipment that they use, and that's a "secure" channel established because it needs to be isolated from the other team's frequency.

There is not a catch-all transmitter that "pollutes a frequency."

enjolras
10-21-2011, 03:29 PM
I think that's all wired...not radio.

ColoradoDarin
10-21-2011, 03:30 PM
The problem is that the rule is that if one team's communications isn't working, the other team isn't allowed to use it. I don't see the advantage here, unless you coordinate with the team to prepare for it ahead of time? Still not really worth it.

Tombstone RJ
10-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm not advocating doing this, as it might be illegal (and if you're caught would almost certainly get you ejected).

So I feel like NFL teams rely pretty heavily on the radio communications between a coach and a QB. It seems like you could sneak in enough equipment as a fan to scan for the frequency the team you want to lose is using and pollute that frequency with enough garbage to make it unusable. And I doubt it would be very easy for them to change frequencies, as it would almost certainly involve interacting with the device in the quarterback's helmet. Maybe they could do it between series, but what's to say you can't just repeat the process every drive? And it would certainly disrupt the other team's performance. I'm sure they could work around it, but it's another distraction. And I doubt, for a while at least, that any stadium would have on hand the necessary equipment/expertise/manpower to track you down by triangulating your signal or something.

I guess what I'm asking is:

1. Does this seem feasible?
2. Have you heard of anyone doing this?

Just a casual thought in the midst of a 1-4 season.

My understanding is that if the one team's radio doesn't work then the other team has to shut down their radio communications so what's the point of jamming or messing with the one teams frequency?

chickennob2
10-21-2011, 03:33 PM
The problem is that the rule is that if one team's communications isn't working, the other team isn't allowed to use it. I don't see the advantage here, unless you coordinate with the team to prepare for it ahead of time? Still not really worth it.

/thread

Thanks!

Pony Boy
10-21-2011, 03:45 PM
I think that's all wired...not radio.

Wow, I haven't noticed that wire running from the QB helmet to the coach, could other players trip on it? :rofl:

strafen
10-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Why would anybody want to do that?
If it's feasible, Bellichick have tried it...

SimonFletcher73
10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Doubt you could do it as a fan. Very realistic that the home team could get the signal though. There were rumors that the Giants did this against the Vikings in the 2000 NFC title game.

55CrushEm
10-21-2011, 05:30 PM
My understanding is that if the one team's radio doesn't work then the other team has to shut down their radio communications so what's the point of jamming or messing with the one teams frequency?

Oh, you're such a poser! The tight end IS a skill position, damn it!!!!

Oh wait.....wrong thread.

Carry on.

That One Guy
10-21-2011, 06:01 PM
It's possible.

Probably just need to sneak one of these in.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
10-21-2011, 06:42 PM
someone watch the radio shacks for suspicious behavior . think someone is up to something lol

gyldenlove
10-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Some team used to do this, they had a QB who called the plays on the line and they ran a lot of hurry up so they didn't use the radio much anyway - so they figured it was a bigger setback for the other team not to have radio and every so often the hardware wouldn't work in their stadium.

cutthemdown
10-21-2011, 07:33 PM
If you could jump in why not just call the plays.

boltaneer
10-21-2011, 10:48 PM
There have been many stories of a visiting team's communications malfunctioning in Foxborough.

Just sayin'...