PDA

View Full Version : Will Oakland make it to Playoffs, Are they a Contender ?

BroncoLover
10-18-2011, 06:29 PM
How many of you think oakland as a contender now ? I think with good running game, fast receivers and a QB (who knows , if he did not play to potential in CIN) and decent defense, they could very well be a playoff team and throw a surprise or two if they stay disciplined and avoid penalties.

i somehow think last year strength they had is the weakness now, CB play.

ZONA
10-18-2011, 06:32 PM
**** oakland and the word contender in the same sentence.

gyldenlove
10-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Nah, they are still not contenders - secondary is too weak and their passing game is still not up to par.

Br0nc0Buster
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Not a contender in the sense they couldnt hang with the likes of Pittsburgh, and New England

But I wouldnt be surprised if they got in the playoffs and won a game

That Palmer trade was awful though, they mortgaged their future of a guy who has been a shell of himself since he blew his knee

Bronx33
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
No they are cursed by factors far bigger than us.

TheDave
10-18-2011, 06:37 PM
not sure if they are a legitimate contender, but in a pathetically weak division i think they will make the playoffs.

BroncoLover
10-18-2011, 06:38 PM
how do i change the thread title :) , i know there must be someway to do this.

serious hops
10-18-2011, 06:48 PM
**** Oakland.

Wait, what was the question?

DenverBrit
10-18-2011, 06:52 PM
They should make the playoffs, but that's all.

Blueflame
10-18-2011, 06:58 PM

Scroll up to the first post and down in the lower right corner of the post, you'll see an "Edit" button. Click that and then "Advanced".

OBF1
10-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Not a contender in the sense they couldnt hang with the likes of Pittsburgh, and New England

But I wouldnt be surprised if they got in the playoffs and won a game

That Palmer trade was awful though, they mortgaged their future of a guy who has been a shell of himself since he blew his knee

I think you mean since his elbow went south...His knee went snap in January 2006 vs Pittsburgh, Since then he has been the same CP, making the playoffs the next year as well.

He is alot like cutler as far as he will give you TD's, but at the cost of alot of ints.

broncocalijohn
10-18-2011, 07:05 PM

Nah, C is a good rating and a possible D- for their trade. With or without Al, they give like crazy. (Advanced Edit)

razorwire77
10-18-2011, 07:11 PM
They will finish 8-8 and in typical Raider fashion, their fans with thump their collective chests for the entire off season.

NUB
10-18-2011, 07:13 PM
I thought they were the best team in the division before the trade, but just barely. I think it's San Diego who has a lot of hidden weaknesses, really.

OBF1
10-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Wait until Denver starting Tebow gets ahold of oakland... different times for Denver now :thumbs:

Steve Prefontaine
10-18-2011, 07:35 PM
unts?

cmhargrove
10-18-2011, 08:07 PM
**** Oakland.

Wait, what was the question?

I second this motion and call for a vote...

mustangtoby
10-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Palmer sucked last year in Cincy, and I'm hoping he will forever suck in Oakland. Nothing would make me happier than them trading a #1 and #2 pick for a wore out bust!

Popps
10-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Any team with that kind of running game and a little defense is a contender. But, I never was sold on Palmer. I think they just overpaid for him to a degree that might go down in the top 10 or so in league history. But, time will tell.

UberBroncoMan
10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
I think they make it to be quite honest. I have great respect for what they've done. Takes ****ing balls to sacrifice your future for a possible train-wreck at QB. They gambled on Seymour and it's worked out great. If Palmer pans out though, watch out.

Cinci got a hell of a trade though. The equivalent of the Cutler trade in compensation and our QB was younger, had no injury history and entering his prime.

Chris
10-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Palmer sucked last year in Cincy, and I'm hoping he will forever suck in Oakland. Nothing would make me happier than them trading a #1 and #2 pick for a wore out bust!

How bout two #1s? :thumbs:

strafen
10-18-2011, 09:35 PM
When you look at the standings in the AFC West, you'll see SD leading the division at 4-1
The Raiders are 4-2 and could end up being marginal better than they were with Jason Campbell, now that they've acquired Palmer.
SD has beaten; Minnesota, Denver, Miami and KC, while they lost to NE.
Oakland has beaten; NY Jets, Houston, Cleveland and Denver. Losses against NE and Buffalo
SD schedule is much tougher than Oakland down the road...

strafen
10-18-2011, 09:49 PM
not sure if they are a legitimate contender, but in a pathetically weak division i think they will make the playoffs.This

Agamemnon
10-19-2011, 04:55 AM
I don't understand the poll. A playoff team is not necessarily a contender. I think the Raiders may well make the playoffs. I don't for a second believe they have any real shot at contending for a title.

eddie mac
10-19-2011, 05:06 AM
More to the point, will the Bengals be a force to be reckoned with in 2 years time when they have 4 first rd picks in the house whilst Dalton and Green and an emerging defense will have 2 more years under their belts???

Crushaholic
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
For their sake, they better make the playoffs. The Raiders aren't going to be a huge participant in next year's draft...

boltaneer
10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't understand the poll. A playoff team is not necessarily a contender. I think the Raiders may well make the playoffs. I don't for a second believe they have any real shot at contending for a title.

I agree completely with this.

Raider Bill
10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Cinci got a hell of a trade though. The equivalent of the Cutler trade in compensation and our QB was younger, had no injury history and entering his prime.

2 firsts a third and a player is equivalent to a first and a second?

UberBroncoMan
10-19-2011, 04:15 PM
More to the point, will the Bengals be a force to be reckoned with in 2 years time when they have 4 first rd picks in the house whilst Dalton and Green and an emerging defense will have 2 more years under their belts???

Lucky for us they're in the same division as the Steelers and the Ravens. The odds of all three making the playoffs every year is low.

UberBroncoMan
10-19-2011, 04:16 PM
2 firsts a third and a player is equivalent to a first and a second?

Doesn't the second become a 1st if they make the playoffs? That's what I last heard...and since I voted for them making it I'm going with two 1st round picks.

Ugly Duck
10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Palmer sucked last year in Cincy, and...

...then was invited to the ProBowl

Doesn't the second become a 1st if they make the playoffs?

If they make it to the AFC Championship game

BroncoLover
10-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Doesn't the second become a 1st if they make the playoffs? That's what I last heard...and since I voted for them making it I'm going with two 1st round picks.

I read it will become a 1st if they go to the AFC title game.

Bronx33
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM

If they make it to the AFC Championship game

that means squat..

Br0nc0Buster
10-19-2011, 07:42 PM

yeah so was Matt Cassel

hey you guys should trade two firsts for him to

Captain 'Dre
10-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Palmer's not a douchebag, though. Ha!

Captain 'Dre
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
For their sake, they better make the playoffs. The Raiders aren't going to be a huge participant in next year's draft...

They'll be convinced they can find Hall of Famers in the 5th and 6th rounds, though... Ha!

colonelbeef
10-19-2011, 08:42 PM
I think they start to struggle, and Campbell coming back kills their chances for certain

Captain 'Dre
10-19-2011, 08:43 PM

My understanding is that the Raiders have to win a playoff game for the 2013 pick to escalate to a 1st rounder.

maven
10-19-2011, 09:34 PM

I disagree with this. You make it to the playoffs, anything can happen.

BroncoMan4ever
10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
i don't feel they improved at all. they are the same or even worse now with Palmer. the Palmer move wasn't a move to save this year, that was a move intended to make them contenders next year and for the next few years.

right now that team will continue to live and die on the legs of McFadden and Bush, and sadly in the AFC West they have a good shot at taking the division with that combination.

Ugly Duck
10-20-2011, 05:42 AM
My understanding is that the Raiders have to win a playoff game for the 2013 pick to escalate to a 1st rounder.

GBN: Conditions for Palmer trade ... Updating the trade in which Oakland acquired veteran QB Carson Palmer from Cincinnati for a first-round pick in 2012 and a conditional 2013 second rounder. The latter pick will escalate to a first rounder if Oakland reaches the AFC Championship game this season.

Dedhed
10-20-2011, 06:29 AM
If they can avoid a losing streak during the transition from Campbell, they'll get in the playoffs, but I don't consider them a contender.

vancejohnson82
10-20-2011, 06:36 AM
Palmer's not a douchebag, though. Ha!

Not so sure about that....he signs a franchise QB contract, then bails on the team even after they spend a first round pick on a WR, a high pick on a TE and they resign his starting RB

not to mention the defense is young and getting better

but, hey, I don't want to play here!!!!! waahhh, waahhhh, wahhhh

maher_tyler
10-20-2011, 08:36 AM
I don't think they will be able to beat teams like the Pats, Ravens or Steelers. We don't even know if they can beat the Chargers yet.

Agamemnon
10-20-2011, 01:39 PM
I disagree with this. You make it to the playoffs, anything can happen.

You are wrong.

Punisher
10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Yup