PDA

View Full Version : Last Man Standing. Abc , Tim Allen's new show , Broncos refs...

TDmvp
10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Last week was the first ep. and it was pretty funny. Instead of Tool man he's Outdoor man.

This week tho when the show opened Tim is sitting there with his baby grandson talking about if Elway had a receiver like Jerry Rice he'd have 5 rings. Then a little later his wife was teasing Tim about his love of the Denver Broncos.

My girlfriend turned to me and said , well I guess this is your new fav show heheh.

You all may want to give it a watch...

Requiem
10-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Bacon makes baby happy. Baby loves sirloin steak. Baby loves breakfast burritos baby.

Archer81
10-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Anyone over 21 will know what Tool Time is. Anyone under...not so much.

:Broncos:

Dr. Broncenstein
10-18-2011, 06:41 PM

Holy f--k I'm getting old.

broncocalijohn
10-18-2011, 06:42 PM
How classic that his Tool Time Show, he is shown (as his real love) as a Lions fan when they were pretty obsolete. Now that they are playing well, he is living in the good ole days of a Broncos fan when now we are the goats.

Archer81
10-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Holy f--k I'm getting old.

Perspective: The kids on Tim Allen's first show are now in their early 30's. I only know that because this dude I dated was in love with Jonathon taylor Thomas and would tell me he and I are the same age.

Awesome-o...

ColoradoDarin
10-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Tim went to Boulder HS, so I'm pretty sure he's a Bronco fan IRL.

Too bad that Bill Engvall show got cancelled - his character was a Bronco fan there as well.

yerner
10-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Does he buy blow or hookers?

Tim
10-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Too bad that guy is a season ticket holding lions fan

houghtam
10-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Too bad that Bill Engvall show got cancelled - his character was a Bronco fan there as well.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's a dyed-in-the-wool Lions fan, considering he spent most of his life near Detroit, and does voice-overs for the "Pure Michigan" tourism commercials...and as someone mentioned, I think he's said before he's a season ticket holder for the Lions.

OBF1
10-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Glad the thread has turned to on-season mode football related topic :)

bowtown
10-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure he's a dyed-in-the-wool Lions fan, considering he spent most of his life near Detroit, and does voice-overs for the "Pure Michigan" tourism commercials...and as someone mentioned, I think he's said before he's a season ticket holder for the Lions.

Tim Allen is from Denver. Lived there for most of his childhood.

NUB
10-18-2011, 08:15 PM
He is a life-long Lions fan, per the Sunday or Monday night game they played awhile back.

BigPlayShay
10-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Tim Allen (Dick), went to elementary school with my Dad in Denver. Did move to Michigan after that.

broncosteven
10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Tim Allen (Dick), went to elementary school with my Dad in Denver. Did move to Michigan after that.

Didn't he spend most of his time in Michigan in the "Big House"?

Rabb
10-18-2011, 08:32 PM

I loved that show

Heidi mainly

bowtown
10-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Didn't he spend most of his time in Michigan in the "Big House"?

That was later in life. He has a penchant for the nose candy.

schaaf
10-18-2011, 09:02 PM

19. I watched that **** to deaf!

Kaylore
10-18-2011, 09:23 PM
I now want this show to succeed more than any other.

bowtown
10-18-2011, 09:27 PM
I now want this show to succeed more than any other.

I always suspected you were a llello guy.

Boobs McGee
10-18-2011, 11:20 PM
When I used to live up in Grand Lake, I was the lead driver for Highland Lumber (in the Grand Lake yard). One of the very last deliveries I made before moving down here to Denver, was a giant roof pack to Tim's house up there. He was building a SWEET home down off of East Inlet Road at the end of town. Having lived up there for a long time, I'd see he and his family walking around town in the summers...never actually MET him, but did get caught oogling his lady on the boardwalk one day haha. Anywho, the house was built back in 2003/4 ish, pretty sure it was a vacation type of place. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he was a big Broncos fan.

huh??
10-18-2011, 11:29 PM
How classic that his Tool Time Show, he is shown (as his real love) as a Lions fan when they were pretty obsolete. Now that they are playing well, he is living in the good ole days of a Broncos fan when now we are the goats.

Ha! I was making a similar comment to my wife at the show's opening too!:afro:

oubronco
10-19-2011, 07:49 AM
I loved that show

Heidi mainly

Both of them

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-19-2011, 07:52 AM
All comedies with a laugh track are retarded.

If you need to be told when to laugh by canned laughter, then you too are retarded.

The lone exception to this rule is Seinfeld.

The best comedies are the ones where the jokes aren't completely formulaic and come too quickly to even think about inserting a laugh track. See Arrested Development, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, 30 Rock, Community and Parks and Recreation.

jhns
10-19-2011, 07:58 AM
I missed it! I even watched the first episode but forgot to record the series. I didn't see a replay of it in the next week either.

2KBack
10-19-2011, 08:05 AM
All comedies with a laugh track are retarded.

If you need to be told when to laugh by canned laughter, then you too are retarded.

The lone exception to this rule is Seinfeld.

The best comedies are the ones where the jokes aren't completely formulaic and come too quickly to even think about inserting a laugh track. See Arrested Development, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, 30 Rock, Community and Parks and Recreation.

Guess someone missed out on Taxi, The Cosby Show and Cheers

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-19-2011, 08:07 AM

I'll give you those. That's fair. Loved all those shows.

Anymore, the comedy with the laugh track is one I'll skip. Every time.

Apparently many Americans are too stupid to know when something is funny without that fake laughter. See TV's highest rated comedy, Two and a Half Men." Awful. Formulaic. Not creative in any way. And the most popular comedy in the land.

TonyR
10-19-2011, 08:18 AM

Well, true, but that was a completely different era. I have to agree that today by far the better "sitcoms" don't have laugh tracks. This includes Modern Family which is tremendously well done.

TonyR
10-19-2011, 08:19 AM

Well, true, but that was a completely different era. I have to agree that today by far the better "sitcoms" don't have laugh tracks. This includes Modern Family which is tremendously well done.

Miss I.
10-19-2011, 08:29 AM
The show he was on was called "Home Improvement" the show his character hosted within the show was Tool time. I actually preferred him on that Star Trek mocking movie, Galaxy Quest.

Archer81
10-19-2011, 08:47 AM
I'll give you those. That's fair. Loved all those shows.

Anymore, the comedy with the laugh track is one I'll skip. Every time.

Apparently many Americans are too stupid to know when something is funny without that fake laughter. See TV's highest rated comedy, Two and a Half Men." Awful. Formulaic. Not creative in any way. And the most popular comedy in the land.

I can't think of too many sitcoms or shows now that have canned laughter. But if you watch Nic at Night...

TonyR
10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
I can't think of too many sitcoms or shows now that have canned laughter.

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/23/7906846-we-may-hate-laugh-tracks-but-they-work-studies-show

Archer81
10-19-2011, 09:06 AM
http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/23/7906846-we-may-hate-laugh-tracks-but-they-work-studies-show

My life is a lie...How I Met your Mother has a canned laugh track...

Pick Six
10-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Perspective: The kids on Tim Allen's first show are now in their early 30's. I only know that because this dude I dated was in love with Jonathon taylor Thomas and would tell me he and I are the same age.

Awesome-o...

Yes. Jonathon Taylor Thomas just recently turned 30...

I might have to find that episode. I gave up on it after the first episode. Of course, I was measuring it against Home Improvement. That's probably not fair. In that show, you had the quirky sidekick Al and the mysterious neighbor Wilson. Home Improvement was an awesome show..

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-19-2011, 09:21 AM

I might have to find that episode. I gave up on it after the first episode. Of course, I was measuring it against Home Improvement. That's probably not fair. In that show, you had the quirky sidekick Al and the mysterious neighbor Wilson. Home Improvement was an awesome show..

In addition to turning 30, "JTT" as he was known by pre-teen girls also celebrated growing to 5'6". Hey, congratulations, Jonathan!

TonyR
10-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Home Improvement was an awesome show..

I didn't watch it much because it was up against a far superior (in my opinion) show fur much of its run: Frasier.

That One Guy
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Pretty sure Tim Allen attended either Central or Western Mich University. I can't remember which. He used to wear central/western/eastern Michigan shirts for the show.

Never knew the Broncos connection.

Rabb
10-19-2011, 10:10 AM
The show he was on was called "Home Improvement" the show his character hosted within the show was Tool time. I actually preferred him on that Star Trek mocking movie, Galaxy Quest.

By Grabthar's hammer, I love that movie

Pony Boy
10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Tim is sitting there with his baby grandson talking about if Elway had a receiver like Jerry Rice he'd have 5 rings.

Elway would have 5 rings if he would have had a stud running back and not the Winder and Willhite type of back.

TonyR
10-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Wow, Last Man Standing got a 33 (out of 100) on Metacritic. That's pretty horrible.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/last-man-standing-2011/season-1

broncocalijohn
10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
I can't think of too many sitcoms or shows now that have canned laughter. But if you watch Nic at Night...

disney channel. My kids watch some of the lamest shows.

MVP-06
10-20-2011, 09:40 AM
I watched it last week too and thought it was good. Think it's based out of denver

Requiem
10-20-2011, 10:58 PM
He likes to yell at kids around Lake Granby.

TDmvp
10-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Wow, Last Man Standing got a 33 (out of 100) on Metacritic. That's pretty horrible.

A. That 33 out of a 100 is based on 12 votes going by your link.

B. Not a big fan of Metacritic or most those type sites.

C. Tim plays a big giant Republican on the show who takes shots at Obama care and Dems so I figured it would get killed critically.

It got huge ratings tho winning it's time spot it's opening 2 weeks but dropped off a little last week.

This story kinda talks about its big numbers and the "controversy" of Tim's char leaning right and the writer's shock the show doing ok.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/tv-zone-1.811968/why-tim-allen-s-last-man-standing-had-13-million-viewers-1.3240787

The shows nothing ground breaking or new and is just ok but I figured critics would HATE it after seeing the main chars views. He crushed PC stuff and hippie tree hugger stuff non stop.

P.S. ... Dude Frasier ? Really ? ..... How anyone could make it through just the theme song of that is beyond me :) . To each his own tho.

UberBroncoMan
10-20-2011, 11:57 PM

Damn shame Wilson died. Was a great guy IRL. Home Improvement was THE **** back in the day. Also yes, Galaxy Quest was awesome. Dwight Schrute's first major movie role btw :P.

As for it getting panned. Situational comedies get panned if they have material the critics don't agree with. I've not watched it, but if it does have right leaning politics then I'm not surprised. Also, the whole man surrounded by women concept isn't ultra original. It's the reverse of Home Improvement actually, lol.

SouthStndJunkie
10-21-2011, 12:50 AM
I've never found Tim Allen to be all that funny.

I watched his new show and outside of a one liner or two, didn't really laugh all that much.

SouthStndJunkie
10-21-2011, 12:53 AM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/84Elg94-X_I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/84Elg94-X_I?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

KevinJames
10-21-2011, 03:23 AM

haven't seen the show but know that metacritic is horrible for the most part especially for TV.

El Guapo
10-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Hes a hardcore lions fan in real life.With that said, this has been added to the dvr (seeing as how hes a right wing Broncos fan on this show).

TonyR
10-21-2011, 06:47 AM
P.S. ... Dude Frasier ? Really ? .....

Yes, really. You must be youngish if you don't understand and appreciate the quality of both the writers and performers on that show. About as expertly crafted as you can get. The most successful spin-off in tv history and one of the most critically acclaimed sitcoms ever.

TonyR
10-21-2011, 06:54 AM
...metacritic is horrible for the most part especially for TV.

Really? Not sure what would be horrible about. It aggreggates both critical and user/viewer reviews and scores shows based on them. There really isn't a more objective source out there.

DrFate
10-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Allen's new show is pretty funny. Ignore the aggregate sites (i'm not aware of a rotten tomatoes caliber site for tv shows) and decide for yourself

TonyR
10-21-2011, 08:21 AM
...decide for yourself

I agree, to each his own. But when 1/24 reviews are positive, and 16/24 are negative, it's safe to assume the show is mediocre at best (and that's being generous). But people regularly consume mediocrity in mass quantities so that doesn't mean the show can't be both enjoyable and successful.

lonestar
10-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Have missed tool time about the comedy worth watching.

This one seems to be along the same vein.

Not sure it will last in today's market but hope so.

titan
10-21-2011, 09:39 AM

Didn't know Tim Allen grew up in Denver. In doing some google searching I found this:

"Born June 13, 1953 in Denver, CO, Timothy Alan Dick (he modified his real name as a comic) was the son of Martha Katherine and Gerald M. Dick, a real estate agent. When Allen was 11, his father died in a car accident. Two years later, his mother remarried, moving Allen and his five brothers to Birmingham, MI, a suburb of Detroit. "

and

"Father: Gerald Dick. Killed in an auto collision with a drunk driver while driving the family home from a University of Colorado football game when Allen was eleven years old"

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/contributor/1800021848/bio

DrFate
10-21-2011, 09:45 AM
I agree, to each his own. But when 1/24 reviews are positive, and 16/24 are negative, it's safe to assume the show is mediocre at best (and that's being generous).

I don't think that's entirely fair. It's entirely subjective, and 'professional critics' typically have a very different evaluation than the public.

You think Seinfeld was critically acclaimed when it came out in '89?

I'm looking at the details of that site now - 4 positive reviews, 2 negative of the 'average joe'. It's the 'professional critics' who don't like it. That's really not a surprise as the lead character is portrayed as 'convservative' and a leading theme of the first two episodes has been the 'hippie' day care where they ban words like 'normal'. That type of thing never agrees with the writers from places like Vanity Fair.

TDmvp
10-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Yes, really. You must be youngish if you don't understand and appreciate the quality of both the writers and performers on that show. About as expertly crafted as you can get. The most successful spin-off in tv history and one of the most critically acclaimed sitcoms ever.

I'm 36 so I was only in my 20s when it was running so maybe , but even now I've watched it in reruns and it just comes off snooty and tries to hard to be funny and I hate everyone in the cast except Kelsey , who is great in anything.

But critically acclaimed to me normally means crappy and loved by people who have bad taste / a agenda that i'd rather be waterboarded than sit through tho LOL. I also hate 30 Rock , Arrested Development and The West Wing.

I'm I hate the classics guy tho.

Frasier always seemed like a show made for yuppies to me cause no way that humor was for middle America. I bet the coast loved it.

But you could be right maybe I was just to young when it debuted cause everyone I know hated it.

And whoever wrote that theme song should be kicked off the F-ing planet.

TDmvp
10-21-2011, 01:25 PM
I agree, to each his own. But when 1/24 reviews are positive, and 16/24 are negative, it's safe to assume the show is mediocre at best (and that's being generous). But people regularly consume mediocrity in mass quantities so that doesn't mean the show can't be both enjoyable and successful.

:spit: Just seen this post.

Stop acting like a elitist yuppie Tony :rofl:

Now I know why you liked Frasier :P

TonyR
10-21-2011, 01:51 PM
:spit: Just seen this post.

Stop acting like a elitist yuppie Tony :rofl:

Now I know why you liked Frasier :P

I know, right? Sorry, I'm just being honest. I often like the stuff the critics like and don't like the stuff the masses love as much. I understand that Frasier wasn't for everybody (just like the brilliant Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm, among many other shows, aren't for mass consumption), and it had some "down" seasons and episodes, but it had a very successful run and had too large of an audience to be comprised of just "elitist yuppies".

lonestar
10-21-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't think that's entirely fair. It's entirely subjective, and 'professional critics' typically have a very different evaluation than the public.

You think Seinfeld was critically acclaimed when it came out in '89?

I'm looking at the details of that site now - 4 positive reviews, 2 negative of the 'average joe'. It's the 'professional critics' who don't like it. That's really not a surprise as the lead character is portrayed as 'convservative' and a leading theme of the first two episodes has been the 'hippie' day care where they ban words like 'normal'. That type of thing never agrees with the writers from places like Vanity Fair.

the day care thing went unnoticed to me , but now that you mention it I had to laugh about it..

as for reviewers I suspect they had hard ons for tool time also..

Gort
10-21-2011, 06:14 PM

it's technically good if you are comparing it to the "formula" for a successful sitcom. the casting is fine. the acting is fine. etc.

the problem for me is that it's a show about 2 fussy metrosexuals. that's hard to watch for more than an episode or two. the English chick's accent is annoying too. i might watch part of an episode here or there if i'm channel surfing now that it's in syndication, depending on what the storyline is, but it's not a show i'd ever consider "must watch TV". in fact, outside of a couple of shows on cable, there's not much on TV that i consider "must watch TV".

Mogulseeker
10-22-2011, 03:58 PM
I just watched the first few episodes of this at Hulu.com

This show needs to come into it's own. The acting is pretty bad and some of the humor is really cheesy, but some of it is spot on. I'll probably be a regular watcher now cause my dad likes it.

I like Tim Allen's character in this one. No BS. Takes care of his family. Looks out for his daughters. A real man.

Kinda reminds me of an old boss I had that I liked.

Rock Chalk
10-23-2011, 10:08 AM

Didn't his character on the Bill Engvall show live in Aurora?