PDA

View Full Version : The Spike

BlueandOrange32
10-11-2011, 08:32 AM
When a QB does a spike to stop the clock, does that count as an official incomplete pass?

55CrushEm
10-11-2011, 08:33 AM
When a QB does a spike to stop the clock, does that count as an official incomplete pass?

It's a loss of down....so it must.

BlueandOrange32
10-11-2011, 08:41 AM
I am pretty much understanding that it is. So, BSPN analysts that make fun of Tebow's completion % dont take into account a spike to stop the clock, a hail Mary pass, and a drop/good defensive play?

Isnt it funny how biased points of views blind haters? Those people are really suppose to be objective. However, objective reporting has been gone since the 50s.

Anyway, isnt that something that should be pointed out while they snicker at Tebow's completion %?

Do they or have you seen any of them anywhere point out Bradford (who they worship) is completing 49% and is 0-4 this year?

Oh, right. That doesnt count with their agenda. Oh wait, BSPN doesnt have an agenda.

maher_tyler
10-11-2011, 08:47 AM
I am pretty much understanding that it is. So, BSPN analysts that make fun of Tebow's completion % dont take into account a spike to stop the clock, a hail Mary pass, and a drop/good defensive play?

Isnt it funny how biased points of views blind haters? Those people are really suppose to be objective. However, objective reporting has been gone since the 50s.

Anyway, isnt that something that should be pointed out while they snicker at Tebow's completion %?

Do they or have you seen any of them anywhere point out Bradford (who they worship) is completing 49% and is 0-4 this year?

Oh, right. That doesnt count with their agenda. Oh wait, BSPN doesnt have an agenda.

It still would have only been 50%. Now that we know he's going to be the starter, he will be taking 1st team reps etc. Hopefully those throws that are underthrown work themselves out with practice and game experience. Seemed to me when he entered the game he was a bit rusty due to sitting on the sidelines all season/first half.

enjolras
10-11-2011, 08:49 AM
It's why stats like completion percentage really only matter over the breadth of a season, or at least a significant amount of it.

TheReverend
10-11-2011, 08:51 AM
It's why stats like completion percentage really only matter over the breadth of a season, or at least a significant amount of it.

^ This. When almost half of your throws come from a 2 minute drill, it's stupid to "analyze" anything from it.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-11-2011, 08:53 AM

It's probably because he's a Christian. After all, they don't count any other quarterback's spikes as incompletions.

We're through the looking glass here, people.

McDman
10-11-2011, 08:54 AM
You needed to make a thread to complain about what ESPN said about Tebow's completion percentage?

Besides the spike there was a reason his % was so low, because he threw a number of terrible passes. Hopefully he can fix it or he will be watching a rookie start next year.

Play2win
10-11-2011, 08:57 AM

Man, you are a loon.

Play2win
10-11-2011, 09:00 AM
It's probably because he's a Christian. After all, they don't count any other quarterback's spikes as incompletions.

Exactly, and soooo obvious....

Steve Prefontaine
10-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Why does anyone care about **** like this?

I hope everyone keeps trashing and underestimating Tebow. Fuel him. Go ahead.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-11-2011, 09:05 AM
http://rarerborealis.com/wordpressblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/tumblr_lemkdyfPaq1qdoghio1_500.png

bendog
10-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Dang, I was sure this thread had a crucifixion angle

BlueandOrange32
10-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Well if you truly were looking through the looking glass, it is.

elsid13
10-11-2011, 03:05 PM

Tell the truth you were looking for the:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tym0MObFpTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bendog
10-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't get youtube here, but I figure it's funny.

elsid13
10-11-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't get youtube here, but I figure it's funny.

The Spanish Inquisition

bendog
10-11-2011, 03:12 PM
ah. You know those nude photos of Alicia in ESPN magazine worry me about the gay agenda angle.

gyldenlove
10-11-2011, 03:12 PM
To my knowledge spikes do count as an incomplete pass but 2-point attempts do not since they are not timed plays.

elsid13
10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
ah. You know those nude photos of Alicia in ESPN magazine worry me about the gay agenda angle.

That Quinn's little girlfriend?

bendog
10-11-2011, 03:20 PM
yes (squeaky high voice)

Imagine the 3-way positions. (whimper)

19Morton77
10-11-2011, 03:41 PM

In a normal circumstances, it is such a small % of spiking the ball compared to all the attempts during a game. If someone wants to get technical, they can eliminate (or separate) spiking (in baseball it is called intentional walk) and obvious dropped passes are considered errors (like baseball).
As a fan, consider one dropped ball with one hell of a catch from Lloyd and it is a wash.

As for Bradford, I knew he would struggle in 2011 not because he was a rookie but look who is the Rams Offensive Coordinator!

Vine
10-11-2011, 03:47 PM

With Tebow's really small sample size of 10 passes, it would sort of make sense to mention why some of his incompletions were incompletions.

Here are the 6 incompletions...

#1 Deep pass on left sideline to Lloyd. This play was initially called a completion, but officials conferred and reversed it, Lloyd juggled as he was catching it going out of bounds. Verdict: Not a bad throw

#2 Deep pass over the middle to Decker. This was the play where Tebow had to roll left and buy time. Decker broke wide open and Tebow's pass was overthrown and too much to Decker's right. Verdict: Not a bad throw under the circumstances (Orton would have either thrown it away or taken a sack)

#3 Incomplete to short left to Rosario. If I remember correctly, this pass was badly overthrown and wide of Rosario who was a little bit open for a short pass. Verdict: Bad pass

#4 Incomplete middle short to Willis. If I remember this one correctly, Willis was open for 1st down yardage, but Willis couldn't make the catch as ball landed at his feet. Verdict: You know the old adage... if it hits your hands, you gotta catch it.

#5 Incomplete pass as Tebow spikes ball to stop clock. Verdict: Objective analysts should make mention of play when talking about Tebow's incompletion %.

#6 Incomplete pass deep right to Willis in endzone. Willis was PI'd out of bounds while ball was in air. This was a perfect throw, and if Willis was not PI'd, he likely catches the pass for game winning touchdown. Verdict: Tebow scrambles and buys time, Tebow is nearly sacked as he gets away from rushing SD defender, and throws a near-perfect pass to Willis, who is trying to comeback to middle of endzone (while being interfered) to make catch. Not Tebow's fault this was incomplete, in fact, this play moreso than any other play demonstrated what Tebow can do to try to win games as a Bronco.

maher_tyler
10-11-2011, 03:57 PM
With Tebow's really small sample size of 10 passes, it would sort of make sense to mention why some of his incompletions were incompletions.

#1 Deep pass on left sideline to Lloyd. This play was initially called a completion, but officials conferred and reversed it, Lloyd juggled as he was catching it going out of bounds. Verdict: Not a bad throw

#2 Deep pass over the middle to Decker. This was the play where Tebow had to roll left and buy time. Decker broke wide open and Tebow's pass was overthrown and too much to Decker's right. Verdict: Not a bad throw under the circumstances (Orton would have either thrown it away or taken a sack)

#3 Incomplete to short left to Rosario. If I remember correctly, this pass was badly overthrown and wide of Rosario who was a little bit open for a short pass. Verdict: Bad pass
#4 Incomplete middle short to Willis. If I remember this one correctly, Willis was open for 1st down yardage, but Willis couldn't make the catch as ball landed at his feet. Verdict: You know the old adage... if it hits your hands, you gotta catch it.

#5 Incomplete pass as Tebow spikes ball to stop clock. Verdict: Objective analysts should make mention of play when talking about Tebow's incompletion %.

#6 Incomplete pass deep right to Willis in endzone. Willis was PI'd out of bounds while ball was in air. This was a perfect throw, and if Willis was not PI'd, he likely catches the pass for game winning touchdown. Verdict: Tebow scrambles and buys time, Tebow is nearly sacked as he gets away from rushing SD defender, and throws a near-perfect pass to Willis, who is trying to comeback to middle of endzone (while being interfered) to make catch. Not Tebow's fault this was incomplete, in fact, this play moreso than any other play demonstrated what Tebow can do to try to win games as a Bronco.

He was pretty open, not sure how he under threw it so bad. I think it was just due to him being rusty/a little gittery.

Inkana7
10-11-2011, 03:59 PM
He was pretty open, not sure how he under threw it so bad. I think it was just due to him being rusty/a little gittery.

Tebow just throws low a lot. McGruder will tell you he's trying to avoid interceptions, but in reality it's just a problem he's always had, even in College.

Vine
10-11-2011, 04:05 PM

I remember Tebow ovethrowing a receiver about 3 or 4 yards past the line of scrimmage on the left side. This throw was about 8 feet above the receivers hands and also wide left. This was truly the only really terrible throw Tebow had, although Tebow did have a couple of other sorta-bad throws.

bendog
10-11-2011, 04:15 PM
I only saw about half of Tebow's plays, because I was cooking jambalya and not going to spend bar money on Orton, but by the time I got to the bar, it seemed pretty much the same old same old. I think at it's simplist, Fox (and Elway) want a qb who can pick up a 3rd and 6 consistently, and a 3rd and 4 regularly. Tebow seems more a guy who can convert a 2nd and 10 or even 3rd and 10 more often than most qbs. So, it's whether Tebow can get with the program over the rest of the season, or whether EFX try to adjust what they're doing to rely on defense and running as much or more than Balt does, to try and "Flacco" Tebow.

However, of the last 10 Lombardi winners, 7 were qbed by guys playing within a system that didn't need them to make plays ad libbing. Eli won one on an amazing catch by a guy who got cut in the next summer camp. The Rapist has won two, and while he plays in a system, he does make plays off his pure physical abilty.

strafen
10-11-2011, 04:24 PM
I remember Tebow ovethrowing a receiver about 3 or 4 yards past the line of scrimmage on the left side. This throw was about 8 feet above the receivers hands and also wide left. This was truly the only really terrible throw Tebow had, although Tebow did have a couple of other sorta-bad throws.Give the guy time to practice and get into his groove. He will eventually.
Back up QB's do NOT practice during the week. He went into that game cold and without any reps with the first team.
They're going to have some kind of special mini-camp these next two days to implement the Tebow game plan.
Next week it should be alright and progressively start to get better...

gyldenlove
10-11-2011, 05:20 PM

On number 3 Tebow drilled the ball into the ground 2 yards in front of Rosario, with Rosario wide open - desperately underthrown: bad pass.

On number 4 Tebow again drilled the ball into the ground in front of his guy with little pressure and an open reciever: bad pass.