PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller was benched yesterday.

BlueandOrange32
10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Looks like he is having a tough grasping all of the things he is asked to do.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/10/von-miller-benched-during-broncos-loss/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 10, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT
Getty ImagesKyle Orton wasn’t the only big name Bronco to get benched Sunday.

No. 2 overall pick Von Miller was taken out of the team’s base defense throughout the loss to the Chargers. Miller was called “one of the bright spots in the whole league” by his coach John Fox last week, but Sunday was a humbling day for him.

“I didn’t play to the best of my potential. I’m pretty disappointed in myself,” Miller said via the Denver Post. “I’m going to come back tomorrow, keep working, keep taking steps to be the player I think I can be.”

Miller’s attitude and intelligence are among his best qualities. He’s already one of the best pass rushers in football; he recorded his fifth sack in five games against San Diego.

We’re guessing that blown assignments or some run defense problems attributed to the benching, which is still a surprise because Miller has received strong marks for his early run defense.

This is a good reminder that Orton isn’t the only problem in Denver. The defense is 30th in points allowed this year.

Abqbronco
10-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Uh oh... You got some splainin' to do

barryr
10-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Miller's best asset is getting after the QB and not chasing TE's or RB's on pass routes, so if it were me, I would design something to take advantage of what Miller does best where he is doing that most of the time.

The Joker
10-10-2011, 09:26 AM
He had one horrible play I noticed where he just let the TE run right by him for a big gain.

There'll be some rookie mistakes from the kid, if he keeps averaging a sack a game though I think we'll be just about able to live with it.

edog24
10-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Well, seeing how long it took Fox's brain to figure out to put Tebow in, I wouldn't worry too much about him deciding to bench Miller.

razorwire77
10-10-2011, 09:36 AM
The TE play was bad. The kid is such an instinctive football player, that sometimes it's easy to forget he's a rookie. Yesterday, was the first game he looked sort of lost. A third of the way though his rookie season, he's still the best player on the front seven by a mile though.

TheReverend
10-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Caught most of the game with MUG and at point I leaned over and said "What the hell is Haggan doing in? Did Von get hurt?"

We thought he had just gotten dinged a little earlier :/

Smiling Assassin27
10-10-2011, 09:37 AM
He had one horrible play I noticed where he just let the TE run right by him for a big gain.

There'll be some rookie mistakes from the kid, if he keeps averaging a sack a game though I think we'll be just about able to live with it.

His run defense was pretty spotty. making bad reads and then taking looping pass rush lanes rather than recognizing a run and closing gaps. If you watch his last college game v LSU, he was doing the same thing. He's got some work to do.

bronco militia
10-10-2011, 09:40 AM
this happens to everyone at one point in their careers.....Rich Gannon said the Broncos didn't look good at their friday practice. I figured he was only talking about Orton ;D

jhns
10-10-2011, 09:43 AM

I'm pretty sure that is when he stopped playing as much. This isn't the first game he was benched in. He has some stuff to learn as he is being asked to do a lot more than he did in college.

enjolras
10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Sometimes you have to watch and learn. I'm betting that's all this was.

peacepipe
10-10-2011, 09:50 AM
I believe I mentioned this before but The one thing that worried me about Miller was we were drafting a 3-4 OLB to play OLB in a 4-3. positions with different responsibilities. If you want to utilize his strengths switch back to a 3-4 defense.

using a #2 pick on a 4-3 OLB may have been a reach.

NUB
10-10-2011, 09:52 AM
I believe I mentioned this before but The one thing that worried me about Miller was we were drafting a 3-4 OLB to play OLB in a 4-3. positions with different responsibilities. If you want to utilize his strengths switch back to a 3-4 defense.

He played both 4-3 and 3-4 at A&M.

vonqkilla
10-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Greatness isnt achieved easily. Adversity creates character. Its gonna happen. Whoever the fins start is going down.

Guaranteeing victory with 15 starting.

peacepipe
10-10-2011, 10:06 AM
He played both 4-3 and 3-4 at A&M. yes he did,but he lined up as a DE in the 4-3 not OLB. his responsibities never changed.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Just bought the play fake, hook line and sinker. By the time he realized his mistake, the TE was 15 yards downfield.

Rookie mistake. I think he'll rectify this.

maher_tyler
10-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Put the "peace pipe" down

gyldenlove
10-10-2011, 10:11 AM
His run defense was pretty spotty. making bad reads and then taking looping pass rush lanes rather than recognizing a run and closing gaps. If you watch his last college game v LSU, he was doing the same thing. He's got some work to do.

I think his reaction was very encouraging, didn't go into the tank and didn't shirk responsiblity, he knows he has some things to work on and I think this will light a fire under his ass. It is easy to forget when you see his 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles that he has only ever played 5 games in the NFL.

Dagmar
10-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Bust. Trade him for a 5th.

Peoples Champ
10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
he is like clay matthews, you just don't put him in coverage, and you sacrifice his average play against the run for his amazing play against the pass.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Jeez, anyone now hating on Miller or doubting him is a ****ing moron. Had a bad game in coverage...tough ****ing crowd. He also got his 5th sack of the season and commanded double teams all day.

BlueandOrange32
10-10-2011, 10:32 AM
he is like clay matthews, you just don't put him in coverage, and you sacrifice his average play against the run for his amazing play against the pass.

Unfortunately, the 4-3 and 3-4 are two different roles for OLBs.

His sacks have come mainly when they line him up as DE.The rest of the time he plays in pass coverage.

As SLB, he rarely blitzes. That is not the role like an OLB in a 3-4.

peacepipe
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Jeez, anyone now hating on Miller or doubting him is a ****ing moron. Had a bad game in coverage...tough ****ing crowd. He also got his 5th sack of the season and commanded double teams all day.

noone is hating on miller,I'm not,just stating the position that Miller is not playing at a position he is completely comfortable with. a 4-3 OLB is considerably differant than that of a 3-4 OLB.

BlueandOrange32
10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
noone is hating on miller,I'm not,just stating the position that Miller is not playing at a position he is completely comfortable with. a 4-3 OLB is considerably than that of a 3-4 OLB.

This is exactly right. They are putting Von Miller right now in too many roles. DE, SLB, WLB. Each position has different keys and different responsibilities.

Instead they ought to runthe 3-4 and have him and Dumervil keep offenses guessing which one will be coming. The attempt to confuse OLs and try to make QBs make wrong reads.

Derrick Brooks for example as SLB on the Buccaneers has a total of 13.5 sacks his whole career. The most he ever had in a season was 3. He had 6 seasons with no sacks. He played a 4-3 SLB.

No, this team should have never switched out of the 3-4. Every single expert saw VonMiller as an 3-4 OLB. I have been saying this fromthe first day I knew they were switching to a 4-3.

It is dumb with the personnell and they aremaking things too complicated. I use to point this out all of the time on the other Broncos message board that has an idiot as a mod. Now here we are, with Von Miller confused.

Eldorado
10-10-2011, 10:48 AM
noone is hating on miller,I'm not,just stating the position that Miller is not playing at a position he is completely comfortable with. a 4-3 OLB is considerably than that of a 3-4 OLB.

i accidentally the whole thing

Spider
10-10-2011, 10:58 AM
yes he did,but he lined up as a DE in the 4-3 not OLB. his responsibities never changed.

with his speed he should be able to line up a DE or OLB , containment is containment but i is all good , he was just lost it happens

Hulamau
10-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Jesus, these rookies missed their entire first off season and couldn't even talk to the coaches! And we expect them to play like a polished Pro Bowler in their first five games! The kid has 5 sacks and two forced fumbles I believe, and has made some great stops in the run game as well, but you know his head is swimming now too with all the complexity of NFL offenses and multiple roles he has had to learn..

Of course he is still thinking too much at times, they pulled him to let him get a breather and watch and learn from the sidelines for a bit. Von Miller is the last guy I'm concerned about on our team going forward. If he's still missing assignments next year and the year after we can talk ... for now in a Lockout rookie year ... Id be shocked and awed if it was anything otherwise!

boltaneer
10-10-2011, 11:17 AM
I think the Broncos will almost always be susceptible to the run with both Dumervil and Miller on the field. They're both just so undersized. But that's one scary pass rushing duo for sure.

I do agree that it would make sense to run a 3-4 with them, along with beefier linemen.

TheReverend
10-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I think the Broncos will almost always be susceptible to the run with both Dumervil and Miller on the field. They're both just so undersized. But that's one scary pass rushing duo for sure.

I do agree that it would make sense to run a 3-4 with them, along with beefier linemen.

Or just make the under the base and find a solid coverage MLB. It's not that complicated, imo

DB-Freak
10-10-2011, 11:39 AM
What the ****?

This is the first game Von actually showed his rookie or greenness and you guys say this ****?

Dude is already one of the best OLB out there now and some are saying he was a reach?

WTF?

Elway 4 Life
10-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Even as a rookie he is getting doubled to death. Doom needs to step up to take some pressure off. He is gonna be just fine. Better than fine. He will be in Hawaii the end of this year and many more to come. He is special. To do what he has done with the limited offseason and resposibilities they have put on him. He's been amazing.

Popps
10-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Miller's best asset is getting after the QB and not chasing TE's or RB's on pass routes, so if it were me, I would design something to take advantage of what Miller does best where he is doing that most of the time.

Yea, but we need him to be a complete player if we're going to have him out there every down. He made a couple of mental errors yesterday. Typical for a rookie. But, he's played at a high level up until now. This is just a learning process and what we should expect with any rookie. I think he's way ahead of the curve.

BlueandOrange32
10-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Even as a rookie he is getting doubled to death. Doom needs to step up to take some pressure off. He is gonna be just fine. Better than fine. He will be in Hawaii the end of this year and many more to come. He is special. To do what he has done with the limited offseason and resposibilities they have put on him. He's been amazing.

People it isnt that we think he sucks or is a bust. Are you all kidding? It is however something that is concerning that the coaching staff is making another blunder by giving him too many responsibilities. Virtually everyone plays one position. I mean they made him "slash" on defense?

Everyone understands that every postion has specific requirements and responbilities. When they stick him as SLB, DE, or WLB etc etc he has to learn a whole new set of demands.

Are they that crazy that they thought he was going to just pick all of that up with out OTAs etc? It doesnt matter imo if there were OTAs. It is still too much. The guy gets after the passer and he is a prototypical OLB edge rusher. What are they doing switching to a 4-3, ignoring the DT position and sticking Von Miller with too much stuff?

I am a very furstrated Bronco fan and have been since 2006. AHHHHHHH!

LRtagger
10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
This is exactly right. They are putting Von Miller right now in too many roles. DE, SLB, WLB. Each position has different keys and different responsibilities.

Instead they ought to runthe 3-4 and have him and Dumervil keep offenses guessing which one will be coming. The attempt to confuse OLs and try to make QBs make wrong reads.

Derrick Brooks for example as SLB on the Buccaneers has a total of 13.5 sacks his whole career. The most he ever had in a season was 3. He had 6 seasons with no sacks. He played a 4-3 SLB.

No, this team should have never switched out of the 3-4. Every single expert saw VonMiller as an 3-4 OLB. I have been saying this fromthe first day I knew they were switching to a 4-3.

It is dumb with the personnell and they aremaking things too complicated. I use to point this out all of the time on the other Broncos message board that has an idiot as a mod. Now here we are, with Von Miller confused.

Orakpo did a pretty damn good job playing Sam his rookie year. Von can work in the position they have him playing, they just have to design the scheme in a certain way to let him make plays (which they have done a pretty good job of in my opinion)...and he has to learn coverages and gap responsibilities.

Even if he never learns those things, he will still be an above average linebacker based on athleticism alone. My guess is he will learn those things and be an elite linebacker....but it's not going to happen 5 games into his rookie year.

Agamemnon
10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
A rookie struggled in certain situations in his fifth game? Stop the presses...

BlueandOrange32
10-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Orakpo did a pretty damn good job playing Sam his rookie year. Von can work in the position they have him playing, they just have to design the scheme in a certain way to let him make plays (which they have done a pretty good job of in my opinion)...and he has to learn coverages and gap responsibilities.

Even if he never learns those things, he will still be an above average linebacker based on athleticism alone. My guess is he will learn those things and be an elite linebacker....but it's not going to happen 5 games into his rookie year.

Yeah, well Orakpo was really given a specific role. They didnt make it so complicated for him. Plus, like I mentioned he had the benefit of OTAs etc.

Requiem
10-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Or just make the under the base and find a solid coverage MLB. It's not that complicated, imo

Teo and Kuechly.

Agamemnon
10-10-2011, 01:47 PM
People it isnt that we think he sucks or is a bust. Are you all kidding? It is however something that is concerning that the coaching staff is making another blunder by giving him too many responsibilities. Virtually everyone plays one position. I mean they made him "slash" on defense?

Everyone understands that every postion has specific requirements and responbilities. When they stick him as SLB, DE, or WLB etc etc he has to learn a whole new set of demands.

Are they that crazy that they thought he was going to just pick all of that up with out OTAs etc? It doesnt matter imo if there were OTAs. It is still too much. The guy gets after the passer and he is a prototypical OLB edge rusher. What are they doing switching to a 4-3, ignoring the DT position and sticking Von Miller with too much stuff?

I am a very furstrated Bronco fan and have been since 2006. AHHHHHHH!

I can see your point, but I honestly feel that he's done pretty well with all that's been laid on his plate. He's a rookie. He's going to have his struggles. No need to freak out.

I am with you on the frustration, and I really don't have much faith in the people running this team, but overall Miller has been one of the few bright spots for us. I don't particularly think they are mishandling him, even if they have mishandled a lot of things so far.

Simple Jake
10-10-2011, 01:51 PM

Let's cut him

Kaylore
10-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Von Miller is undersized at 6'3" 240? :saywhat:

jrmarden
10-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I was at the game yesterday and noticed he was out of the lineup a lot.. Much to my surprise. Guess what though.. He was always the first defensive player running onto the field to support his other defensive players with high fives.. This is in contrast to Orton who was nowhere to be seen.

I respect Von Miller a lot for staying interested and excited into the game. He's only 5 games in, with virtually only 1 month of TC. He'll be special I believe...

Looks like he is having a tough grasping all of the things he is asked to do.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/10/von-miller-benched-during-broncos-loss/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 10, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT
Getty ImagesKyle Orton wasn’t the only big name Bronco to get benched Sunday.

No. 2 overall pick Von Miller was taken out of the team’s base defense throughout the loss to the Chargers. Miller was called “one of the bright spots in the whole league” by his coach John Fox last week, but Sunday was a humbling day for him.

“I didn’t play to the best of my potential. I’m pretty disappointed in myself,” Miller said via the Denver Post. “I’m going to come back tomorrow, keep working, keep taking steps to be the player I think I can be.”

Miller’s attitude and intelligence are among his best qualities. He’s already one of the best pass rushers in football; he recorded his fifth sack in five games against San Diego.

We’re guessing that blown assignments or some run defense problems attributed to the benching, which is still a surprise because Miller has received strong marks for his early run defense.

This is a good reminder that Orton isn’t the only problem in Denver. The defense is 30th in points allowed this year.

Agamemnon
10-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Von Miller is undersized at 6'3" 240? :saywhat:

I'm guessing he means when lined up at DE...

barryr
10-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Yea, but we need him to be a complete player if we're going to have him out there every down. He made a couple of mental errors yesterday. Typical for a rookie. But, he's played at a high level up until now. This is just a learning process and what we should expect with any rookie. I think he's way ahead of the curve.

If you mean complete by being good against the run, I agree. But I don't want him wasted chasing people down the field so much since his pass rush skills are more important.

Vegas_Bronco
10-10-2011, 08:39 PM
What was Andre Goodman's excuse yesterday?

broncosteven
10-10-2011, 08:53 PM
I am not worried, the kid has 2 FF and 5 sacks.

He has the potential to be a rookie of the year canidate if he keeps up his sack total.

The good thing is he has lots of upside and can only get better in coverage

broncosteven
10-10-2011, 08:54 PM

It sure would be nice if Irving was that guy

Bigdawg26
10-10-2011, 09:37 PM
It sure would be nice if Irving was that guy

Or if we could find out if Irving is that guy!