PDA

View Full Version : Dilfer: Orton one of the most underrated.

jayman_37
10-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Kyle Orton

Negative perception: Average quarterback; a compiler without an elite skill

Underappreciated for: Orton is most underappreciated for his arm talent. He has the ability to get the ball down the field, but he can also deliver into tight windows underneath. Last year he had the most completions over 40 yards, but he also has the ability to deliver in high-leverage situations. He's a very good third-down passer, a guy who can execute when it's hardest to do so, and measures up very well on third-down pass attempts, one of the totals I look to when I want to know how a quarterback is performing. It's when both teams know you are throwing, and you can still execute.

I also think Orton is underappreciated because of the situation he's in. With so many fans dead-set on seeing Tim Tebow, it can be hard to feel like it's home. It reminds me of a guy like Warner when he was in New York. Orton isn't Warner, but the reception just wasn't there, and Warner eventually landed in Arizona, where his career took another good turn with a fan base that was thrilled to have him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7074431/nfl-tony-romo-league-most-underappreciated-qbs

maven
10-08-2011, 03:27 PM
He's sh1t!

KO5K
The so called negative perception stated in the article perfectly sums up Orton.

How anyone could watch Orton play and not come away with that opinion is beyond me. Of course, the chances that Dilfer actually watches Broncos games is close to 0% and instead most likely forms his idiotic opinion based on a stat sheet.

Also, assuming that is the entire article, Dilfer completely fails to argue against the negative perception he originally states. Instead he talks about some random **** that no one else really talks about, sure Orton can throw a reasonably good deep ball, just don't ask him to do it in the fourth ****ing quarter.

misturanderson
He's a very good third-down passer, a guy who can execute when it's hardest to do so, and measures up very well on third-down pass attempts, one of the totals I look to when I want to know how a quarterback is performing. It's when both teams know you are throwing, and you can still execute.
Wait...what? Last time I checked this is the exact opposite of the reality of Orton's game.

It reminds me of a guy like Warner when he was in New York. Orton isn't Warner, but the reception just wasn't there, and Warner eventually landed in Arizona, where his career took another good turn with a fan base that was thrilled to have him.
Pretty sure Orton doesn't belong in the same conversation as Warner. At one point that was what I was hoping for, but that day has long since passed.

Tim
10-08-2011, 03:28 PM
all of these pro orton analyst must not watch any bronco games.

Mogulseeker
10-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I agree he's underrated. Good third down passer? What does that even mean?

rbackfactory80
10-08-2011, 03:29 PM
In other words Dilfer thinks the OMANE sucks and the posters are idiots.

maven
10-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I agree he's underrated.

Hilarious!

Thanks for the laugh.

BlueandOrange32
10-08-2011, 03:31 PM
I really do wonder what Elway was thinking as he saw the hohum way Orton led the Broncos down the field that Monday Night against the Raiders in the 4th quarter.

I saw no urgency, no fire in the whole offense. Yes, they scored a TD with like 3 minutes left in the game. It could have been more than 5 minutes if they displayed any kind of sense of urgency.

That had to make Elway sick. You would think.

Kaylore
10-08-2011, 03:38 PM
The so called negative perception stated in the article perfectly sums up Orton.

How anyone could watch Orton play and not come away with that opinion is beyond me. Of course, the chances that Dilfer actually watches Broncos games is close to 0% and instead most likely forms his idiotic opinion based on a stat sheet.

Also, assuming that is the entire article, Dilfer completely fails to argue against the negative perception he originally states. Instead he talks about some random **** that no one else really talks about, sure Orton can throw a reasonably good deep ball, just don't ask him to do it in the fourth ****ing quarter, on third down or in the red zone.

FYP

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 03:40 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2011/08/ipt/1314121898.jpg

He's SO underrated, it's become a liability.

I would've rather kept this guy. Off Orton for whatever we could get, let Champ go, maybe Dawkins too.

Then sign more free agents, CFA, UFA ... take a few flyers on high character hard-workers.

That would've been GM BroncoBuff's offseason.

KipCorrington25
10-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Wait, Dilfer didn't mention his ability to avoid a rush and power through arm tackles? Hilarious!

Northman
10-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Dilfer also thought he was a great QB.

Arkansas Bronco
10-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Dilfer also thought he was a great QB.

If by great that means just showing up and letting your Defense win ya a championship. Then yes he was.

Northman
10-08-2011, 03:58 PM
If by great that means just showing up and letting your Defense win ya a championship. Then yes he was.

Exactly.

Arkansas Bronco
10-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Exactly.

Just clarifying for the people whos main source of nfl knowledge comes from sports center.

gyldenlove
10-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Has Dilfer ever been right about anything?

BabyTO
10-08-2011, 04:11 PM
wow, this coming from a hall of famer like trent dilfer means a lot.

whats next? alphonso smith commenting on how champ bailey could become a decent starting CB if he keeps it up?

rovolution
10-08-2011, 04:19 PM
He's a very good third-down passer

I stopped reading after this

Steve Prefontaine
10-08-2011, 04:19 PM
You should take some time and mull it over before asking such a question again.

ColoradoDarin
10-08-2011, 04:20 PM
It's Bizarro Dilfer - whatever I say, the exact opposite is true. Orton sucks on 3rd down and especially in high leverage situations. He best in garbage time. I'll give him credit, much like Alex Smith he has a good TD to Int ratio in the Red Zone.

Kurt Warner is one of the greatest QBs in the history of the game and was almost ruined by Mad Martz's protection and yet still one of the toughest to ever play the position. He will hopefully be in the Hall of Fame someday for leading 2 different teams to Superbowls while Orton is nothing more than a journeyman who doesn't even sniff the playoffs.

EABOD Dilfer

broncolife
10-08-2011, 04:23 PM
I find it funny that some people think Tebow is the reason people dislike Orton. People disliked Orton before Tebow was even drafted by us.

extralife
10-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I like how people discredit Dilfer because he wasn't a good NFL quarterback. Were <i>you</i> a good NFL QB? No? But you're right, right?

Requiem
10-08-2011, 04:46 PM
We are right that Kyle Orton is a loser. No doubt about it.

KO5K
10-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I like how people discredit Dilfer because he wasn't a good NFL quarterback. Were <i>you</i> a good NFL QB? No? But you're right, right?

Yeah, because that's the main problem with the article.

The writer, not the crap he wrote.

Punisher
10-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Orton would of took that ravens team to the Super Bowl to
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Popps
10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Kyle Orton

Underappreciated for: Orton is most underappreciated for his arm talent. He has the ability to get the ball down the field, but he can also deliver into tight windows underneath. Last year he had the most completions over 40 yards, but he also has the ability to deliver in high-leverage situations. He's a very good third-down passer, a guy who can execute when it's hardest to do so, and measures up very well on third-down pass attempts, one of the totals I look to when I want to know how a quarterback is performing. It's when both teams know you are throwing, and you can still execute.

I also think Orton is underappreciated because of the situation he's in. With so many fans dead-set on seeing Tim Tebow, it can be hard to feel like it's home. It reminds me of a guy like Warner when he was in New York. Orton isn't Warner, but the reception just wasn't there, and Warner eventually landed in Arizona, where his career took another good turn with a fan base that was thrilled to have him.

http://http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7074431/nfl-tony-romo-league-most-underappreciated-qbs

Pretty accurate, I'd say.

This doesn't mean Orton is an elite QB by any stretch. But, he's generally graded lower than he really is by the average Broncos fan.

Orton does a lot right, imo. But, I'm on board with questioning his killer instinct. I think the will is there, I just don't think he knows the way... and not sure if he will.

But, he could be part of a productive offense, imo. Then again, it's fairly clear that he's leaving after this season, so it's not worth wasting a whole lot of energy worry about.

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 05:08 PM
There's somebody somewhere for most every opinion within the bounds of sanity. Dilfer obviously missed the boat here, but he's much better Merrill Hoge.

Calling Orton underrated is not entirely stupid, it's not as bad as calling Knowshon durable. Link is broken, but it seems his ranking was based mostly on arm-strength and accuracy, so wtf? Jeff George is strong-armed and accurate.

Gort
10-08-2011, 05:09 PM

it means he fails alot on 1st and 2nd down. :)

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah, now I see more of what he said in Popps' post and it seems fairly reasonable.

Then again, it sounds exactly like what they said about him when he left Chicago.

Gort
10-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Orton would of took that ravens team to the Super Bowl to

"would of took"

???

http://motivationalmaker.com/saved_posters/poster_opd8zkruzp.jpg

Gort
10-08-2011, 05:12 PM
I find it funny that some people think Tebow is the reason people dislike Orton. People disliked Orton before Tebow was even drafted by us.

Chris Simms called and says thanks for remembering him.

TDmvp
10-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Kyle Orton = Jon Kitna minus the religion and as bad as Orton is he may want to find religion and pray for a real skill set.

Jetmeck
10-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Dilfer called one of our games in the last month and you could tell he was trying to make references to himself by talking about Orton. I am very sorry Trent Dilfer but you weren't very good either and the criticision that you got and Orton is getting now is well deserved.

maher_tyler
10-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Is this serious??? How the **** does this ass clown have a job?? We need a smiley puking on Dilfer.

maher_tyler
10-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Also, assuming that is the entire article, Dilfer completely fails to argue against the negative perception he originally states. Instead he talks about some random **** that no one else really talks about, sure Orton can throw a reasonably good deep ball, just don't ask him to do it in the fourth ****ing quarter.

How many times did he under throw his receivers last Sunday?? One should have been an easy TD but it was so under thrown the WR had to almost stop, letting the DB make the tackle.

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 05:34 PM
He won a Super Bowl, that's pretty impressive. Yeah yeah, great defense ... but still. He QB'd the thing, guy he replaced wouldn't have made it.

Was Dilfer much better or worse than 1985 Jim McMahon?

TDmvp
10-08-2011, 05:40 PM
He won a Super Bowl, that's pretty impressive. Yeah yeah, great defense ... but still. He QB'd the thing, guy he replaced wouldn't have made it.

Was Dilfer much better or worse than 1985 Jim McMahon?

As a 85 Bears fan Dilfer was much worse than Jim McMahon.

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 05:43 PM
As a 85 Bears fan Dilfer was much worse than Jim McMahon.
I get that ... I still like the Bears as best team ever. Though couple of Patriots teams lately might challenge.

1985 Jim McMahon 13g 11gs - 178-313 56.9% 2392 - 15t 4.8% - 11 int 3.5%
2000 Trent Dilfer . . 11g 8 gs - 134-226 59.3% 1502 - 12t 5.3% - 11 int 4.9%

Pretty similar ... biggest difference might've been their publicity and image consultants. I never thought that much of McMahon.

TDmvp
10-08-2011, 05:45 PM
1985 Jim McMahon 13g 11gs - 178-313 56.9% 2392 - 15t 4.8% - 11 int 3.5%
2000 Trent Dilfer . . 11g 8 gs - 134-226 59.3% 1502 - 12t 5.3% - 11 int 4.9%

Pretty similar.

Intangibles Buff...

Jim could run had a huge arm but was fragile. Jim was 5X Dilfer.

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Both played Game Management 101 obviously ... in fact, I'm not sure either really won a game for his team, unheard of for a QB on a winning team. McMahon was better, though I don't think by much. Remember Shannon's 96-yard TD in the Ch'ship game? That was 3rd and 10 I think ... we kind of forget, but somebody threw that ball.

Too bad stupid Billick went stupid for Grbac the next season ... "How do you like my quarterback now?" Dumass.

Looked up their career stats ... both guys really hung on til the bitter bitter end. Mac-16 years, 6 teams ... Dilfer 14 yrs, 5 teams.

hookemhess
10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Kyle Orton

http://http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7074431/nfl-tony-romo-league-most-underappreciated-qbs

http://i.imgur.com/Ocnxs.jpg

TDmvp
10-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Both played Game Management 101 obviously ... in fact, I'm not sure either really won a game for his team, unheard of for a QB on a winning team. McMahon was better, though I don't think by much. Remember Shannon's 96-yard TD in the Ch'ship game? That was 3rd and 10 I think ... we kind of forget, but somebody threw that ball.

Too bad stupid Billick went stupid for Grbac the next season ... "How do you like my quarterback now?" Dumass.

Dude sorry but you don't remember much about Jim Mcmahon...

In an early-season Thursday night game at Minnesota, McMahon was slated to back up Steve Fuller, as McMahon had missed practice time earlier in the week due to a neck injury that required an overnight hospital stay. Midway into the third quarter, the Vikings held a 179 lead. McMahon lobbied to get into the game until well into the third quarter. Once finally on the field, his first play was an opportunistic 70 yard touchdown pass to Willie Gault. His very next offensive play was a 25-yard touchdown pass to Dennis McKinnon, making him 22 for 95 yards and two touchdowns. He followed up with another successful offensive drive, including a crucial third and short sneak to set up another 43-yard touchdown pass to McKinnon. The Bears led 3017 and went on to win the game 3324.

Jim was killer till he started piling up the injuries ... Comparing him to Dilfer is silly cause they are nothing alike skill set wise or how they played. Jim was by no means a game manager , he was a gambler who would take off and run if needed , hence the injuries. They are nothing alike.

pricejj
10-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Orton would be a nice backup QB.

tnedator
10-08-2011, 06:26 PM
all of these pro orton analyst must not watch any bronco games.

And seem clueless to much of the Orton criticism existed in '09 when Tebow wasn't on the team.

tnedator
10-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Orton would be a nice backup QB.

Albeit, probably under-appreciated...

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Dude sorry but you don't remember much about Jim Mcmahon...

Jim was killer till he started piling up the injuries ... Comparing him to Dilfer is silly cause they are nothing alike skill set wise or how they played.

Ya got me, sheriff! How will I hide my silly shame?

Just looked back at the season log ... that 33-24 win in Minnesota was a crucial game. In hindsight might've been the catalyst for the year. It was just Week 3, and the defense had given up lotta points obviously. He saved them ... might've won more than the game that night.

To the extent they QB'd the two best modern era defenses to SB Championships with similar stats, those seasons were definitely similar. Comparisons are never perfect of course, but Pro-Football-Reference lists McMahon, Rodney Peete, Babe Parilli, Neil O'Donnell, Jack Kemp and Dilfer as having similar careers down the line. All of them with numerous teams, hanging on til the bitter end. I did say McMahon was better, but I wouldn't have wanted either one.

go_broncos
10-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Dilfer.. Shut your mouth.
If you like Orton, come to the stadium and watch his play.
You will know how much pain it is to be a bronco fan.
Fox - do you have mind?..are you an idiot?.How did you even become NFL coach when you don't even recognize the skills of a QB?.
Every ****ing sunday..i have to see ****ing Orton play.

Gort
10-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Every ****ing sunday..i have to see ****ing Orton play.

oh crap!

what if Crazy Al is still alive and it's all of us who are dead and this is hell?

...that would also explain Macgruder and TGN.

arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Looked more, and you're right TD, the intangibles made McMahon quite a lot better.

Kind of like the Orton gap ... Kyle's stats look pretty good, but his intangibles are horrible.

TDmvp
10-08-2011, 06:42 PM
You're still the man Buff and far from silly :) I mean you could have been trying to sell me some Simms heheh ...

My two favorite teams when I was little was Broncos/Bears and then after like say 87-88 it became pretty much just Denver. Elway and Walter was my favorite players.
Jim had Willie Gault and hit the home run ball lots that season and they at times was explosive on O. Where that Ravens team never was.

RaiderH8r
10-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Where was this hype when we were trying to trade the prick? Keep pimping that stuff Dilfer, we need a sucker to bite and trade for this tool ASAP and moves at the trade deadline in the NFL are rare. Pimp away Dilfer you irretrievable dickbag.

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Why is everybody so freakin' ticked off at Dilfer? I don't get it ...

He's wrong, basically. Too stats-centric and intangibles-avoidant, but wtf?

We could still trade Orton H8R, don't be surprised. Maybe a playoff contender loses their QB down the line and ... shazam! OFF HE GOES!

SoCalBronco
10-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Buff....Dilfer is also a huge douchebag, so that adds to the hatred for him. He was openly rooting against us on MNF against Oakland and he has an inflated opinion of himself. He was trash as a player and got carried by others, so I'm not sure why anyone gives a **** what he thinks. Now that he's sucking Orton off, it just confirms he's got a graduate degree in douchery.

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 07:25 PM
I kind of met him once, might be affecting my opinion. CU played Fresno State in the Aloha Bowl (94?), talked to him for a few seconds outside their hotel.

Guy was a rock in that game. They were way overmatched ... he was forced to throw 65+ times, just one Int. Surprised he didn't do better in the League.

bronco militia
10-08-2011, 07:40 PM
orton is better than Dilfer so theres that

;D

jhns
10-08-2011, 07:46 PM

Yup. Just look at the similar threads at the bottom of the page. He was booed way before Tebow.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=83292

epicSocialism4tw
10-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Dilfer idolizes other game managers.

Unfortunately, we dont have a dominant defense to carry Orton like Dilfer had.

epicSocialism4tw
10-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Where was this hype when we were trying to trade the prick? Keep pimping that stuff Dilfer, we need a sucker to bite and trade for this tool ASAP and moves at the trade deadline in the NFL are rare. Pimp away Dilfer you irretrievable dickbag.

Most interesting observation on the thread.

RaiderH8r
10-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Most interesting observation on the thread.

I hate Dilfer with the seething rage of a thousand supernovae.

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I hate Dilfer with the seething rage of a thousand supernovae.

Nice! Just an idea, but maybe try adding 'white-hot' before 'seething.'

I'm always guilty of verbal piling-on, but I would also add 'ten' before 'thousand.' And again just me, but a sentence with that kinda power needs first and last name.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-08-2011, 09:12 PM
The most underrated 9 million dollar albatross.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-08-2011, 09:18 PM
I love this idea that Orton is a game manager, and won't lose games with his play. That would be fantastic if actually true.

bronco militia
10-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I love this idea that Orton is a game manager, and won't lose games with his play. That would be fantastic if actually true.

maybe dilfer hasn't seen enough orton fumbles and interceptions this year....

DarkHorse30
10-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Buff....Dilfer is also a huge douchebag, so that adds to the hatred for him. He was openly rooting against us on MNF against Oakland and he has an inflated opinion of himself. He was trash as a player and got carried by others, so I'm not sure why anyone gives a **** what he thinks. Now that he's sucking Orton off, it just confirms he's got a graduate degree in douchery.

Dilfer joins Keyshawn as the 2 most worthless commentators in pro football.

Vegas_Bronco
10-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I went to see mc hammer last night...I am an eagle you are a dove dilfey.

BroncoBuff
10-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I am an eagle you are a dove dilfey.

I am a hawk and there's blood on my feathers.

DarkHorse30
10-08-2011, 10:15 PM
I am Trent Dilfer and my white-hot ten thousand degree-ness is imagined....by me.

Archer81
10-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Orton is exactly what he is.

A stone of misery and apathy around our collective necks. Some people enjoy the feeling of loserdom.

Most of us dont.

:Broncos:

Mat'hir Uth Gan
10-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Please God, someone hire Dilfer as their GM. We'll be happy to trade Orton to him for the multiple 1st round picks Trent so obviously believes Kyle is worth.

Gort
10-09-2011, 05:17 AM
i stood naked looking into the abyss... and i nearly got flattened by Charles Woodson returning an Orton interception for a TD.

Lolad
10-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Pretty accurate, I'd say.

This doesn't mean Orton is an elite QB by any stretch. But, he's generally graded lower than he really is by the average Broncos fan.

Orton does a lot right, imo. But, I'm on board with questioning his killer instinct. I think the will is there, I just don't think he knows the way... and not sure if he will.

But, he could be part of a productive offense, imo. Then again, it's fairly clear that he's leaving after this season, so it's not worth wasting a whole lot of energy worry about.

How is this spot on when Orton last year and the weeks after we went 6-0 was ranked near the bottom in 3rd down passing? He hardly ever tries to fit the ball in tight windows he either takes a sack or throws it away.

OrangeSe7en
10-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Has anyone ever listened to Jim Miller on Sirius? He's another Orton advocate. It seems like there is a fraternity of mediocre or bad QBs that look out for each other.

Gort
10-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Has anyone ever listened to Jim Miller on Sirius? He's another Orton advocate. It seems like there is a fraternity of mediocre or bad QBs that look out for each other.

it's become conventional wisdom that Orton is a quality QB and that Tebow is a neanderthal who never should have been drafted. just like the idiots in high school who want to be "popular" and thus parrot whatever the "popular" kids think, so it is the same with NFL talking heads who want to be part of the "in" crowd so that they can get a job on ESPN or CBS or NBC doing football commentary.

i defy anybody to actually watch Orton for a full season and come to the conclusion that he's a quality QB. he's nothing more than a journeyman QB who could have some success on a team where all of the other pieces are in place and stellar, but that's about it.

Dedhed
10-09-2011, 09:27 AM
i think that Orton is overrated based on being called underrated for so long. We've heard this same thing for 4 years, "Orton is underrated". "underrated" is similar to being under the radar, and there's a reason a guy stays under the radar; he doesn't do anything that makes anyone take notice.

That includes defensive coordinators.

Play2win
10-09-2011, 09:30 AM
I can see some leaning towards Orton, until last Sunday...

Under throwing a sure touchdown... and the interception thing...

I don't know if he showed his true colors or not, you cannot have a game like that and remain the starter for very long... One game is too long in my book...

Gort
10-09-2011, 09:34 AM
I can see some leaning towards Orton, until last Sunday...

Under throwing a sure touchdown... and the interception thing...

I don't know if he showed his true colors or not, you cannot have a game like that and remain the starter for very long... One game is too long in my book...

Orton plays for a coach who prefers veterans, so no matter how badly he performs, Orton will be the starter for at least 4 more games, and IMHO, likely the rest of the season. i believe Fox could bench Orton eventually, but i'm afraid that he would just elevate Quinn to starter.

Play2win
10-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Orton plays for a coach who prefers veterans, so no matter how badly he performs, Orton will be the starter for at least 4 more games, and IMHO, likely the rest of the season. i believe Fox could bench Orton eventually, but i'm afraid that he would just elevate Quinn to starter.

Well, sometimes, it is funny how quickly the winds of change can rise up.

Here's hoping.

RaiderH8r
10-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Well, sometimes, it is funny how quickly the winds of change can rise up.

Here's hoping.

I just hope Jeff Fisher (HC) and Mike Nolan (DC) are available when it happens. I'm open for OC since I'm riffing off the top of my head here. Let's talk GM ladies. The likelyhood is that Xanders goes first out of the bunch.