PDA

View Full Version : Why is Luck a lock?

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Okay... I admit not having seen a single game Luck has started at Stanford. I've seen highlights of some of his games but not enough to have an opinion on him or how good of an NFL QB he could be. I saw the Suck for Luck thread but it doesn't get into any specifics about his skills. Can I get a sincere evaluation without the smartass remarks? I don't follow the college game as close as many of you do so educate me.

I could never agree to throwing games to get a draft pick but I would like to know more about Luck.

houghtam
10-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Okay... I admit not having seen a single game Luck has started at Stanford. I've seen highlights of some of his games but not enough to have an opinion on him or how good of an NFL QB he could be. I saw the Suck for Luck thread but it doesn't get into any specifics about his skills. Can I get a sincere evaluation without the smartass remarks? I don't follow the college game as close as many of you do so educate me.

I could never agree to throwing games to get a draft pick but I would like to know more about Luck.

I don't have much to add in the way of "how good is Luck", but for every "we have to draft this guy, he's a Lock", there have been just as many "wow looking back we should have seen how bad he was gonna be's".

I think the people who are saying 2 #1's 2 #2's and a #4 for ANY unknown quantity have no clue what they're talking about.

hambone13
10-07-2011, 01:48 AM
I don't have much to add in the way of "how good is Luck", but for every "we have to draft this guy, he's a Lock", there have been just as many "wow looking back we should have seen how bad he was gonna be's".

I think the people who are saying 2 #1's 2 #2's and a #4 for ANY unknown quantity have no clue what they're talking about.

Awesome. Very insightful. You rock.

Pick Six
10-07-2011, 01:52 AM
If we wanted a quarterback with our first pick, I truly don't believe we have to get Luck. The Stanford connection between Elway and Luck is likely driving this urge to get Luck. There are other quarterbacks out there. The Heisman trophy could go to Landry Jones, if Oklahoma makes it to the title game...

BroncoSojia
10-07-2011, 02:07 AM
Bottom line, everyone agrees that we need draft a QB next year right?

Whether it's Luck, Jones, Tannehill, Barkley, or RGIII.

Orton is gone next year and it's obvious the regime isn't sold on Tebow. So who does that leave? Quinn? Weber? LOL

Odds are the QB starting for us next year isn't on our roster right now.

Atwater His Ass
10-07-2011, 02:39 AM
There is no sure thing in the draft, everyone knows that. But that doesn't diminish the cost of the picks however. Who you draft and cost of the right to do so are mutually exclusive.

myMind
10-07-2011, 02:42 AM
and it's obvious the regime isn't sold on Tebow.

Yeah, its clearly obvious.
Im tired of all the pressers where Fox and Elway talk about how they can't wait to get rid of Tebow, cause they just aren't sold on him. :yep: ::)

elsid13
10-07-2011, 02:53 AM

There is a number of reasons that Luck is consider the #1 QB coming out and most likely the #1 pick.

Positives:
Extremely smart both on and off the field.
film junkie
NFL size
very good feet in the pocket (feels pressure and able to move away from it with taking his eyes away from his passing lanes)
able to make all NFL throws
Plays in NFL style offense and takes 3,5,7 step drops of regular basis
Very accurate with ball (especial on the intermediate and short routes)
Can sell the play action
better runner out side then people expect, not Mike Vick but he able to move around the edge
Good leader and kinda humble (asked to be red shirted because he knew he wasn't ready and thought he would benefit from watching the SR QBs play that season)

Negatives:
Doesn't always step into the deep ball and ball will sail on him

He compares to Matt Ryan, and Manning type of QB.

Blart
10-07-2011, 02:59 AM
He's not as athletic as Elway (only comparing because they're stanford QB's), but he's throwing TD passes like crazy. He might even break Elway's record.

Oh and also he's accurate.

and dreamy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcYFjD4PK8E

ESPN has us at #5 on the suck for Luck sweepstakes. Feel free to deam.

SleepingTiger
10-07-2011, 07:31 AM
There is a number of reasons that Luck is consider the #1 QB coming out and most likely the #1 pick.

Positives:
film junkie
NFL size
very good feet in the pocket (feels pressure and able to move away from it with taking his eyes away from his passing lanes)
Can sell the play action
better runner out side then people expect, not Mike Vick but he able to move around the edge
Good leader and kinda humble (asked to be red shirted because he knew he wasn't ready and thought he would benefit from watching the SR QBs play that season)

Negatives:

Just to show how smart he is, I heard that Luck is already calling his own plays at the line. Just looking his physical and mental intelligence, the guy is the best prospect in years.

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 08:07 AM

Positives:
film junkie
NFL size
Can sell the play action

Negatives:

This is the kind of assessment I was looking for. As I said I know little about him and just have seen highlights which I donít always think measure how good any player is since itís only a small slice of a game. I wonder how many Broncos Fans have actually seen several of his games and could say he is as good as advertised.

The Ryan and Manning comparison is a big jump and a flattering one if true. What about his scrambling ability and if he canít does he fold his tent when under pressure? Is he a warrior, what is demeanor like if heís behind in the 4 Q, can he lead a team in a come back?

Iím not in favor of us taking any QB in the draft until Tebow gets a chance to prove he can sink or swim but Iím not against drafting a QB if heís not going to win games for us. If he helps win games even if their ugly thatís far better than what we have now. I remember watching Steve Young in the USFL and with the Buccaneers and see the same sort of unpolished type of player in Tebow. Young was horrible at the start of his career but his biggest intangible was heís will to win and his warrior passion not to give up on a game. Tebow in college at least proved he has that characteristic; Iíd like to see if it translates to wins for the Broncos.

If he doesnít I wouldnít have a problem attempting to draft or trade for Luck or Laundry but I donít think fans should dismiss the idea that Tebow could be that guy if he gets the starting job soon so we can see if he does have it.

Rohirrim
10-07-2011, 08:12 AM
CU plays them tomorrow. Here's a write up in the DP:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_19059978

McDman
10-07-2011, 08:14 AM

Orton is gone next year and it's obvious the regime isn't sold on Tebow. So who does that leave? Quinn? Weber? LOL

I think with our current coaching staff we can all agree we will not be taking RGIII.

randomtask
10-07-2011, 08:21 AM
This is the kind of assessment I was looking for. As I said I know little about him and just have seen highlights which I donít always think measure how good any player is since itís only a small slice of a game. I wonder how many Broncos Fans have actually seen several of his games and could say he is as good as advertised.

The Ryan and Manning comparison is a big jump and a flattering one if true. What about his scrambling ability and if he canít does he fold his tent when under pressure? Is he a warrior, what is demeanor like if heís behind in the 4 Q, can he lead a team in a come back?

Iím not in favor of us taking any QB in the draft until Tebow gets a chance to prove he can sink or swim but Iím not against drafting a QB if heís not going to win games for us. If he helps win games even if their ugly thatís far better than what we have now. I remember watching Steve Young in the USFL and with the Buccaneers and see the same sort of unpolished type of player in Tebow. Young was horrible at the start of his career but his biggest intangible was heís will to win and his warrior passion not to give up on a game. Tebow in college at least proved he has that characteristic; Iíd like to see if it translates to wins for the Broncos.

If he doesnít I wouldnít have a problem attempting to draft or trade for Luck or Laundry but I donít think fans should dismiss the idea that Tebow could be that guy if he gets the starting job soon so we can see if he does have it.

Well, he had close to 500 rushing yards last year, including a couple 50-yarders, so he's got plenty of scrambling ability.

Additionally, he's led a few game-winning drives against USC and Arizona State.

The fact that he's produced since he got the starting job helps as well.

Highlight video.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KcYFjD4PK8E?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KcYFjD4PK8E?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

gyldenlove
10-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Sadly we can not draft Luck, he has a neckbeard which makes him entirely unsuitable to be an NFL QB. I believe I am right in saying that no QB with a neckbeard has ever been succesful in the NFL or managed to not suck balls.

Of all the QBs I am really big on Landry Jones.

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 08:24 AM
CU plays them tomorrow. Here's a write up in the DP:

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_19059978

My take from this is maybe his single greatest attribute is his intelligence. Thatís great but what does he do if he has a porous OL, gets sacked 5 times in a game and is down 10 or 14 points going into the 4th Q. Can he translate it to the NFL?

Intelligence is one thing, toughness, persistence and not quitting on a bad game or a bad team is another story and heíll surely inherit that whether we get him or not.

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=randomtask;3320802]Well, he had close to 500 rushing yards last year, including a couple 50-yarders, so he's got plenty of scrambling ability.

I've seen these some of this highlights. Thanks. I just wish it were enough to convince me that'll play like this at NFL level where the game is much faster and the hits much harder.

vonqkilla
10-07-2011, 08:37 AM
He is 5 stars in every category. Talking luck on vicandgary now. Cecil lammey said trade whatever ut takes for him.

rbackfactory80
10-07-2011, 08:42 AM
He is 5 stars in every category. Talking luck on vicandgary now. Cecil lammey said trade whatever ut takes for him.

Wait a second, I said that too. Unfortunately I was flamed by fans who take their "Building an NFL Franchise for dummies" textbook too seriously.

Let me be clear- I LOVE TEBOW! I want him to play.

Since our FO doesn't feel the same way, Luck is a gamble with pretty nice odds at being successful at the pro level.

Dedhed
10-07-2011, 08:45 AM

I don't think everyone agrees with that at all. It's a resounding yes if Tebow is a bust, and a resounding no if Tebow can ball like he did in college.

Hey, I've got an idea, just came to me. Let's play Tebow and find out for sure what we have in him.

OrangeCrush2724
10-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Just to show how smart he is, I heard that Luck is already calling his own plays at the line. Just looking his physical and mental intelligence, the guy is the best prospect in years.

Giving a college kid the freedom to call all his plays shows a great deal of confidence by the new Coach. Very Peyton-esque.

SleepingTiger
10-07-2011, 08:59 AM

I don't get the idea of comparing Luck to Ryan. Just from what I hear on the radio and reading articles, they compare Luck to Elway not because they both came out of Stanford, but because they have the same physical attributes. We all know Elway was a freak athlete, his dad said his best sport was basketball, not football, not baseball.

I say start Tebow ASAP, see if he has the potential to take us back to the Superbowl. If he does, draft defense. If Tebow is a bust, mortgage the future on Luck.

Dedhed
10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
He's not as athletic as Elway (only comparing because they're stanford QB's), but he's throwing TD passes like crazy. He might even break Elway's record.

Oh and also he's accurate.
So you're saying it's "guaranteed" he'll be a stud. Is that like your guarantee about Orton last week?

robbieopperude
10-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Probably at worst Luck has a career similar to Philip Rivers.

NFLBRONCO
10-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I want to get Luck outright vs trading the farm for him. For us to do that at most imo we can only afford to win 1 more game. It might be we can't afford any more wins. Also if he flops we only eat his contract vs his contract and the ammo we traded away to get him.

Punisher
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
The hell with luck stay with Orton and lets be a 8-8 team forever

strafen
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
If we wanted a quarterback with our first pick, I truly don't believe we have to get Luck. The Stanford connection between Elway and Luck is likely driving this urge to get Luck. There are other quarterbacks out there. The Heisman trophy could go to Landry Jones, if Oklahoma makes it to the title game...Wut?!
The Elway-Stanford connection got nothing to do with it.
To say there are other QB's out there, is ok, but to say it in the context I think you've said, is wrong.

Luck is the sure thing, he's in my opinion the real deal.
I've seen him play and so far, he looks solid!
Landry can win the Heisman for all I care, but that does not make him a better QB than Luck...

HooptyHoops
10-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Question for the draft/scout junkies....I'm nervous that we won't have the number one pick and whoever has the #1 pick will pick Luck, as he is a once in a decade type player at QB, according to everybody. So, are there any other QB's that look like a franchise QB? In other words, can I be excited about any other QB in this upcoming class?

strafen
10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
I want to get Luck outright vs trading the farm for him. For us to do that at most imo we can only afford to win 1 more game. It might be we can't afford any more wins. Also if he flops we only eat his contract vs his contract and the ammo we traded away to get him.That's why Orton's still our QB.
He gives us the best chance to get Luck...

peacepipe
10-07-2011, 09:47 AM
Question for the draft/scout junkies....I'm nervous that we won't have the number one pick and whoever has the #1 pick will pick Luck, as he is a once in a decade type player at QB, according to everybody. So, are there any other QB's that look like a franchise QB? In other words, can I be excited about any other QB in this upcoming class?

A. Luck & L. Jones are probably going to be the top 2 QBs this yr.

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I want to get Luck outright vs trading the farm for him. For us to do that at most imo we can only afford to win 1 more game. It might be we can't afford any more wins. Also if he flops we only eat his contract vs his contract and the ammo we traded away to get him.

This isn't an option, this is insane thinking. Throwing a season for a college QB who may or may not be a lock is not the way fans will rally around the Broncos. Orton in or out fine, Tebow in or out fine but we play to win every game. Even if the last game of the season the #1 pick is on the line, we go out playing to win. I will give up the Broncos and the NFL altogether if this is how we achieve a non-guaranteed future build on a lie or a fraud.

Rohirrim
10-07-2011, 10:17 AM
My take from this is maybe his single greatest attribute is his intelligence. Thatís great but what does he do if he has a porous OL, gets sacked 5 times in a game and is down 10 or 14 points going into the 4th Q. Can he translate it to the NFL?

Intelligence is one thing, toughness, persistence and not quitting on a bad game or a bad team is another story and heíll surely inherit that whether we get him or not.

Ahhh! I get you now. The purpose of this thread is to say that Tebow is better than Luck. Another Tebow thread. Okay. Have fun with that. :thumbs:

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Ahhh! I get you now. The purpose of this thread is to say that Tebow is better than Luck. Another Tebow thread. Okay. Have fun with that. :thumbs:

Seriously I think Iím asking good questions, leave Tebow out of it. Can he take big hits? Is he physically tough enough to survive an OL like the one we currently have, does he have quick feet? I ask because I donít know, thatís why I started the thread. Iím trying to be open to other possibilities because what we have now is a horror show. Fair enough?

peacepipe
10-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Seriously I think Iím asking good questions, leave Tebow out of it. Can he take big hits? Is he physically tough enough to survive an OL like the one we currently have, does he have quick feet? I ask because I donít know, thatís why I started the thread. Iím trying to be open to other possibilities because what we have now is a horror show. Fair enough?They'll address the Oline if luck is drafted. it'll be addressed eitherway.

TonyR
10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Here are some random scouting reports on Luck:

http://draftdatabase.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/andrew-luck-scouting-report/

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/2010/12/12/andrew-luck-qb-stanford-scouting-report/

http://www.newerascouting.com/2011/08/the-perfect-prospect-why-andrew-luck-is-better-than-peyton-manning/

http://player-rater.blogspot.com/2010/12/andrew-luck-2011-draft-scouting-report.html

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Here are some random scouting reports on Luck:

http://draftdatabase.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/andrew-luck-scouting-report/

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/2010/12/12/andrew-luck-qb-stanford-scouting-report/

http://www.newerascouting.com/2011/08/the-perfect-prospect-why-andrew-luck-is-better-than-peyton-manning/

http://player-rater.blogspot.com/2010/12/andrew-luck-2011-draft-scouting-report.html

I work graves but when I get up this afternoon, I'll have a look at these. Thanks.

jayman_37
10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Mel Kiper was on Mike and Mike this morning and said he is the first QB that he has graded that not a single person has been down on. They said it well, when they said if we are wrong about Luck then everyone is wrong about him.

Even Peyton Manning had people who didn't like him coming out. They liked Ryan Leaf better.

Rohirrim
10-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Seriously I think Iím asking good questions, leave Tebow out of it. Can he take big hits? Is he physically tough enough to survive an OL like the one we currently have, does he have quick feet? I ask because I donít know, thatís why I started the thread. Iím trying to be open to other possibilities because what we have now is a horror show. Fair enough?

Here's luck making a tackle after a fumble:<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l6sfYL-jHOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here he is dishing out a hit during a run:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S4_w-puInqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheChamp24
10-07-2011, 10:51 AM
First off, Luck is as sure as a QB prospect as you can get. Talk to ANY scout/draft site and they'll say the same thing. He has good arm strength, great accuracy, good decision making, good mobility, intelligent, dedicated, etc.

Matt Barkley out of USC is highly touted and many believe he is the #2 QB if he were to declare.
Landry Jones out of OU is less touted due to people not liking how inconsistent he gets. Yes, he has the tools, but being an OU fan and watching him play, he does have trouble with inconsistency. He has a great arm and is mobile, with good size and pocket presence, has decent accuracy its just his decision making that is highly questioned IMO. I honestly think he needs to step his game up in order to get into top 10 pick discussion.
Then you have guys like Nick Foles, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehil who are all iffy picks right now. I think they will all get picked in round 2 or later though.

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Mel Kiper was on Mike and Mike this morning and said he is the first QB that he has graded that not a single person has been down on. They said it well, when they said if we are wrong about Luck then everyone is wrong about him.

Even Peyton Manning had people who didn't like him coming out. They liked Ryan Leaf better.

Being the skeptic that I am these kind of endorsements scare the hell out me. I think of all the #1 QB's taken in the 1st round that have tanked and I wonder if a guy like Luck is doomed from the start, not because he's not good enough but from some other unforseen factor. I'm done for the day, tired... this would be everybody elses Friday night at 2 am... I'm toast. I appreciate you guys talking to me be about Luck. Luck even the name Luck makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Maybe if his name we're Pain or Posey whatever...Seems like with a name like Luck he's also doomed to fail from the start. :) Outta here...

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Here's luck making a tackle after a fumble:<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l6sfYL-jHOM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here he is dishing out a hit during a run:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S4_w-puInqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Impressive tackle. The run was against a crappy Cal team it looks like but impressive.

Inkana7
10-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Let's put it this way. They're saying that he's the highest graded QB prospect since one John Elway. And he turned out to be a pretty good player.

I'm not officially on the "Suck for Luck" bandwagon, but I really wouldn't mind us being horrible if it means this kid getting drafted by us. He's going to completely change some lucky franchise.

bowtown
10-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Being the skeptic that I am these kind of endorsements scare the hell out me. I think of all the #1 QB's taken in the 1st round that have tanked and I wonder if a guy like Luck is doomed from the start, not because he's not good enough but from some other unforseen factor. I'm done for the day, tired... this would be everybody elses Friday night at 2 am... I'm toast. I appreciate you guys talking to me be about Luck. Luck even the name Luck makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Maybe if his name we're Pain or Posey whatever...Seems like with a name like Luck he's also doomed to fail from the start. :) Outta here...

My wife also builds her draft boards based on guys' last names, and also the color of ther eyes and hair and college uniforms.

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 11:03 AM
My wife also builds her draft boards based on guys' last names, and also the color of ther eyes and hair and college uniforms.

Humor. I get it.

oubronco
10-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Sadly we can not draft Luck, he has a neckbeard which makes him entirely unsuitable to be an NFL QB. I believe I am right in saying that no QB with a neckbeard has ever been succesful in the NFL or managed to not suck balls.

Of all the QBs I am really big on Landry Jones.

Dan Fouts?

RhymesayersDU
10-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Even if the last game of the season the #1 pick is on the line, we go out playing to win.

Ridiculously shortsighted. Look, don't misunderstand me, I fully agree that tanking an entire season should never be an option. But if we're, say, 2-13 headed into the last game, we'd better be shooting for 2-14. There's zero benefit in fighting for 3-13.

And forget Luck for a minute. Having our choice of any player in the draft (any draft year) always would outweigh winning that meaningless last game.

HooptyHoops
10-07-2011, 11:15 AM
First off, Luck is as sure as a QB prospect as you can get. Talk to ANY scout/draft site and they'll say the same thing. He has good arm strength, great accuracy, good decision making, good mobility, intelligent, dedicated, etc.

Matt Barkley out of USC is highly touted and many believe he is the #2 QB if he were to declare.
Landry Jones out of OU is less touted due to people not liking how inconsistent he gets. Yes, he has the tools, but being an OU fan and watching him play, he does have trouble with inconsistency. He has a great arm and is mobile, with good size and pocket presence, has decent accuracy its just his decision making that is highly questioned IMO. I honestly think he needs to step his game up in order to get into top 10 pick discussion.
Then you have guys like Nick Foles, Robert Griffin, Ryan Tannehil who are all iffy picks right now. I think they will all get picked in round 2 or later though.

Thanks for the response Champ: Why would Miami ever trade the #1 pick to us if Luck is the best prospect since Elway? I just don't want to set to much stock that we can land Luck one way or another. Now, Barkley, does he have good accuracy? Seems like all the great ones have awesome accuracy.

gyldenlove
10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Dan Fouts?

He had a full set of face-moss.

Requiem
10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
This is what it comes down to in my opinion:

(1) Denver's reluctance to play Tebow signifies a doubt in his ability to be the QBOTF.

(2) Orton's poor play won't get him re-signed here. Denver will receive a compensatory selection for him signing as a starter (hopefully) elsewhere in the 2013 draft. This compensation will likely be equal to what Miami was potentially offering. (We will secure a 3rd or 4th)

(3) Brady Quinn obviously isn't the guy either and his contract is done at the end of this season, thus leaving Tebow (if he is not moved) as the only QB going into the 2012 season.

If Denver is picking very high and have a shot at getting Andrew they are going to try their hardest to get him. The unfortunate prospect of all of this is that Denver will have the ammunition to get him, but if Miami, Indianapolis, Tennessee or Seattle finish worse than us, I doubt they will want to pass up getting him unless we sell the farm.

I expect Denver to be picking in the Top 8 of the draft. I wish it was a little higher, because another true blue-chipper would be quite awesome. If Luck isn't available, I think SoCal was right that they would even consider Barkley.

Two of the best players in this forthcoming draft will be wide receiver, but I doubt that we will go that direction, though Blackmon or Jeffrey would be fantastic additions to this offense. I still have hope for Demaryius, and Decker seems like a promising starter in the NFL. Lloyd and Royal are in contract years and I don't see us giving Brandon huge money, but Royal could easily be re-signed for depth. I just look at Green Bay's offense and see how they built a Juggernaut with a quality QB and an arsenal of wide receivers and would hope we could replicate that. (Though Fox being here ensures that will not happen.)

Realistically, cornerback and defensive line (preferably tackle) should also merit first-round consideration. Dre Kirkpatrick would highlight this CB class and there are several players who Denver could consider in the first round on the DL that would immediately improve their team.

QB, DB, DL and WR (pending off-season transactions) would be my highest issue areas moving forward. I would also throw a top-notch MLB on that profile list. The rest of our positions can be drafted for depth later on or addressed in free agency. It's still far too early to project -- but everyone knows that QB, DB and DL need some upgrades.

Broncoman13
10-07-2011, 11:28 AM

When he takes a three step drop he is remarkable at getting the ball out the second his third step hits the grass. While physically there are a lot of QBs that can do that, they cannot necessarily make the reads pre-snap and after the snap in the second it takes to make the throw. The result is, he picks up a lot of first downs and puts the team in a lot of short yardage situations for 3rd downs.

He also has a remarkable ability to throw on the run. Not just throwing on the move, but throwing while sprinting to the right. I've seen two games this year and in both games he has a sprint right TD throw to the corner of the endzone, both to TEs with minimal separation. I'd say his accuracy on those throws is greater than most QBs while setting up in the pocket... Incredible accuracy while throwing on the run.

He has great size, great speed, above average arm strength, great accuracy, and is considered to be a great leader. Couple that with the fact that he may be one of those 40+ wonderlic types... very smart!

Smelvin
10-07-2011, 11:39 AM
As a Stanford fan living in Palo Alto, I've seen every start of Luck's collegiate career. He is beyond a sure thing. He's a mortal lock to be an franchise changing difference maker the second he steps on the field.

During his sophomore season Jim Harbaugh said that his most difficult task as a coach was keeping Luck challenged. Andrew has a photographic memory and had completely memorized the entire playbook. Every down Harbaugh would send 3 plays into Luck, and at the line, after reading the defensive alignment, he would audible to the best play of the 3. Last week v UCLA he actually called his own plays. Stanford runs a very complex pro-style offense and the kid is literally calling his own plays! Lol...has anyone heard of a college QB calling his own plays? Most pro QB's can't handle it.

His mental capacity is off the charts. The Peyton Manning comps are spot on not only because of his ability to read a D, but also his leadership qualities. Much like Manning, Luck is a coach on the field, motivates everyone around him to be better...his teammates would run through a wall for him.

Then you have his measurables...prototypical size, outstanding arm strength, pinpoint accuracy...there is not a throw he cannot make. His decision making is off the charts. His athleticism is 10x that of Petyon...more like Aaron Rodgers.

I have always thought he is the perfect blend of Peyton and Rodgers. He's got Peyton's mental capacity and leadership qualities, and Rodgers athleticism/measurables.

Whoever gets Andrew Luck will be a perennial contender....I prey it's us and if we're not lucky enough to have the top pick, I really hope a team like Indy or STL does with the chance they will auction it off. In that case, I would trade any combo of players/picks for him. Every player on the Denver Broncos is replaceable. Every subsequent draft pick has a chance to be a bust, or just mediocre. Andrew Luck will be a superstar at the most important position. A critical position if you want to compete in today's NFL.

In a passing league where you need a legit QB to be elite, Andrew Luck is a difference maker that doesn't come around very often.

He will change a franchise overnight...and I really hope it's ours.

Requiem
10-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Smelvin, thank you for the insightful post!

Punisher
10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Smelvin, thank you for the insightful post!

"Very insightful post na na na " Shut up loser

AlphaSeirra
10-07-2011, 12:47 PM
If we wanted a quarterback with our first pick, I truly don't believe we have to get Luck. The Stanford
connection between Elway and Luck is likely driving this urge to get Luck. There are other quarterbacks out there.
The Heisman trophy could go to Landry Jones, if Oklahoma makes it to the title game...

2008 Okla/Bradford won the Heisman, got to go to the BCS-NC game.
Set a new NCAA All Time season scoring record, (54 pts/gm, 716 total pts).
Tebow, who got more 1st place Heisman votes than either Bradford or McCoy
was also in that BCS-NC game.
UF/Tebow 24 - 14 Ok/Bradford,,,,,,
(OK/Bradford got -40 pts UNDER their pts/gm average,,,, sorry sammy).

BTW, is Jones leading Ok to 54 pts/gm right now? If not, then he's not even as good as Bradford was/is.
And Bradford already proved that he's not as good as Tebow, in the BCS-NC game or as a rookie QB in the NFL.
Wake-TF-Up guys. :wiggle:

Ole Lucky and Jones suffer from the same (low/no comp) strength of schedules imoho.
Answer me this, why does the NFL take the majority of their defensive players from the SEC?
The difference in college stats, is in which conference you accumulated them.
Some college stats are 'obviously' better indicators than others are.
(general rule, not a guarantee, exceptions do pop up occasionally)

Now, for those few that constantly whine that college stats mean NOTHING:

2010 Rookie NFL QB Passer Ratings:
T.Tebow - 82.1 - 5 TD's to 3 Ints, Ratio 1.64 to 1.
S.Bradford 76.5 - 18 TD's to 15 Int's, Ratio 1.2 to 1.
C.McCoy - 74.5 - 6 TD's to 9 Int's, Ratio .64 to 1.
J.Clausen - 58.4 - 3 TD's to 9 Int's, Ratio .33 to 1.

~ Quinn - 56.8 in his rookie year 07 - only a 66.8 for his 3 yr NFL career.
~ Orton had a 59.7 rookie rating, 9 TD-13 Ints -- His career PER is a 79.6.
~ Tom Brady 42.4
~ Joe Montana 81.2 close to Tebow, but only a 7.33 ypc. (dink & dunk) compared to Tebow's 15.4 ypc.

I can show and compare Tim to the Top NFL QB's in their 1st 3 (apples2apples) starts as rookies.
Passing TD - Rushing TD - Total TDs - INTs - Lost Fums - TDs per Turnover
Tim Tebow -- 4 - 3 - 7 - 3 - 0 - 2.33
Drew Brees -- 3 - 0 - 3 - 2 - 0 - 1.50
Tom Brady -- 2 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 2 - 1.00
P. Manning -- 2 - 0 - 2 - 8 - 1 - 0.22
Kyle Orton -- 1 - 0 - 1 - 6 - 1 -- 0.14

And still the media morons (& even some fans) go on and on about Tim's supposedly weak and inaccurate arm.
Or about Tim's so called bad mechanics and/or footwork.
Damn the actual 'on the field' results I guess..... :ouwknow:

An before anyone starts, NO, I'm not saying that it's a guarantee that Tebow will be a HoF QB,
or that Lucky or Jones will be NFL busts.
But anyone who claims the opposite is in an EVEN WEAKER stat-based position imoho.....:thumbs:

oubronco
10-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Alphasierra you got a little TT man juice on your chin there

bendog
10-07-2011, 01:45 PM

But I bet he was really good in calculus.

HooptyHoops
10-07-2011, 01:46 PM

Your a Sooner fan....how would your rate Jones?

I just want a QB who can win games....period....Orton its not....Tebow? Luck? Jones? Barkley? I just think we are all setting up for failure over this Luck thing, as I don't think we end up with the #1 pick.

TheChamp24
10-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Your a Sooner fan....how would your rate Jones?

I just want a QB who can win games....period....Orton its not....Tebow? Luck? Jones? Barkley? I just think we are all setting up for failure over this Luck thing, as I don't think we end up with the #1 pick.

I'm a Sooner fan and honestly I'd be cautious taking Jones. He has failed in big games, on the road and makes some poor throws sometimes.
He does have all the tools, so I think he's worthy. I mean, to me, he's a better QB prospect than anybody out of this years class aside from Newton.

Agamemnon
10-07-2011, 03:50 PM

You honestly believe everyone has forgotten the last three games of last season?

Rohirrim
10-07-2011, 04:03 PM
You honestly believe everyone has forgotten the last three games of last season?

Lost to the Raiders. Beat Houston. Lost to Sandyeggo. So?

Chris
10-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I think the remarkable thing we all need to consider in this thread is that bowtown has a wife.

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Ole Lucky and Jones suffer from the same (low/no comp) strength of schedules imoho.
Answer me this, why does the NFL take the majority of their defensive players from the SEC?

Thank you, this was the next question I wanted ask in my original post but was afraid you guys would hammer me for being Pro-Tebow when I was just trying to learn more about Luck from a non-emotional factual basis, a statistical basis, what Broncos Fans had seen from the whole of his games and lastly the strength of his schedule. The SEC as had more competitive teams over the last few years and the PAC-10 or 12 whatever it is has been down some the last few.

That said is the competition that Luck faced at Sanford of the same kind Tebow faced at Florida in the SEC? Again this isnít to tout Tebow in any way Iíve made it clear he should be playing for us now for the obvious reasons. What I want to know is if giving the chance to play more than a 6 to 8 games and he wins half of them this year is Tebowís rating as a leader and winner going to supersede Luck based on the quality of college conferences and teams played?

Mile High Mojoe
10-07-2011, 04:27 PM
As a Stanford fan living in Palo Alto, I've seen every start of Luck's collegiate career. He is beyond a sure thing. He's a mortal lock to be an franchise changing difference maker the second he steps on the field.

During his sophomore season Jim Harbaugh said that his most difficult task as a coach was keeping Luck challenged. Andrew has a photographic memory and had completely memorized the entire playbook. Every down Harbaugh would send 3 plays into Luck, and at the line, after reading the defensive alignment, he would audible to the best play of the 3. Last week v UCLA he actually called his own plays. Stanford runs a very complex pro-style offense and the kid is literally calling his own plays! Lol...has anyone heard of a college QB calling his own plays? Most pro QB's can't handle it.

His mental capacity is off the charts. The Peyton Manning comps are spot on not only because of his ability to read a D, but also his leadership qualities. Much like Manning, Luck is a coach on the field, motivates everyone around him to be better...his teammates would run through a wall for him.

Then you have his measurables...prototypical size, outstanding arm strength, pinpoint accuracy...there is not a throw he cannot make. His decision making is off the charts. His athleticism is 10x that of Petyon...more like Aaron Rodgers.

I have always thought he is the perfect blend of Peyton and Rodgers. He's got Peyton's mental capacity and leadership qualities, and Rodgers athleticism/measurables.

Whoever gets Andrew Luck will be a perennial contender....I prey it's us and if we're not lucky enough to have the top pick, I really hope a team like Indy or STL does with the chance they will auction it off. In that case, I would trade any combo of players/picks for him. Every player on the Denver Broncos is replaceable. Every subsequent draft pick has a chance to be a bust, or just mediocre. Andrew Luck will be a superstar at the most important position. A critical position if you want to compete in today's NFL.

In a passing league where you need a legit QB to be elite, Andrew Luck is a difference maker that doesn't come around very often.

The best post on the thread, you've watch him play more games than anyone on the OM it sounds like. After reading this one post alone my opinion about Luck has moved some. You might be a little bias about your opinion but it sounds as though everything about Luck that people who love him say has a lot of truth in it. Thanks for sharing such an honest thoughtful opinion.

peacepipe
10-07-2011, 05:18 PM
OT,but Kellen moore will drop into 3rd-5th rd. due to him being only 5'8". saw it being talked about last week.

gunns
10-07-2011, 05:25 PM
If we wanted a quarterback with our first pick, I truly don't believe we have to get Luck. The Stanford connection between Elway and Luck is likely driving this urge to get Luck. There are other quarterbacks out there. The Heisman trophy could go to Landry Jones, if Oklahoma makes it to the title game...

Whoever the Heisman goes to is the one we do not want.

peacepipe
10-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Whoever the Heisman goes to is the one we do not want.

That's not good,just watched ESPN & they said Luck has something like 73% of the vote if it were held today.

Tombstone RJ
10-07-2011, 05:59 PM

That's some high praise. I'm not buying all of it, but I gotta give you credit for the sales job...

Bronx33
10-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Well, he had close to 500 rushing yards last year, including a couple 50-yarders, so he's got plenty of scrambling ability.

Highlight video.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KcYFjD4PK8E?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KcYFjD4PK8E?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

god i hate it! when perfectly good videos add crap music it ruins it.

elsid13
10-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Thank you, this was the next question I wanted ask in my original post but was afraid you guys would hammer me for being Pro-Tebow when I was just trying to learn more about Luck from a non-emotional factual basis, a statistical basis, what Broncos Fans had seen from the whole of his games and lastly the strength of his schedule. The SEC as had more competitive teams over the last few years and the PAC-10 or 12 whatever it is has been down some the last few.

That said is the competition that Luck faced at Sanford of the same kind Tebow faced at Florida in the SEC? Again this isnít to tout Tebow in any way Iíve made it clear he should be playing for us now for the obvious reasons. What I want to know is if giving the chance to play more than a 6 to 8 games and he wins half of them this year is Tebowís rating as a leader and winner going to supersede Luck based on the quality of college conferences and teams played?

He plays in major conference it not like he playing for Div III School of the Mines. Lane Kniffin is an asshole, but he does know professional football and this is what he had to say about Luck:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/11/30/lane-kiffin-on-andrew-luck-nfl-scouts-say-his-marks-are-off-the-charts/

Kiffin noted Luckís obvious physical tools and his aptitude for the game, apparent in his ability to recognize defenses, locate secondary receivers and change plays at the line of scrimmage.

Specifically, Kiffin talked about the immense amount of material Luck is able to process in the seconds before the snap.

In that regard, Kiffin said, Luck is comparable to former Raiders QB (and NFL MVP) Rich Gannon.

Kiffinís opinion of Luck was based not only on what heís seen but what heís heard.

ďEvery NFL scout who has come through (USC) has said his marks are off the charts.Ē

Smelvin
10-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Andrew would have been the unquestioned first overall pick of last year's draft, but he chose to come back to get his degree in architectural design, a rigorous major in the Stanford school of engineering. If that doesn't tell you everything about his character, I'm not sure what does. Even with his head coach (the hottest coaching candidate in football), bolting for the NFL...Luck didn't hesitate about coming back to get his degree.

Before this season he was asked what his goals were for this season. He responded that his team goal was to win the conference, something Stanford hasn't done...in ..well...nearly forever.

He said his personal goal was to improve his completion percentage, which last year was 70.7. In a pro-style offense, where he is routinely throwing down field, he wants to improve upon a 70% completion percentage? That's almost laughable.

So far this year his completion percentage sits at 71.4%.

He's going to live up to the hype, folks...and then some. Hopefully in orange and blue.

DBroncos4life
10-07-2011, 07:40 PM
He plays in major conference it not like he playing for Div III School of the Mines. Lane Kniffin is an a-hole, but he does know professional football and this is what he had to say about Luck:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/11/30/lane-kiffin-on-andrew-luck-nfl-scouts-say-his-marks-are-off-the-charts/

Kiffin noted Luckís obvious physical tools and his aptitude for the game, apparent in his ability to recognize defenses, locate secondary receivers and change plays at the line of scrimmage.

Specifically, Kiffin talked about the immense amount of material Luck is able to process in the seconds before the snap.

In that regard, Kiffin said, Luck is comparable to former Raiders QB (and NFL MVP) Rich Gannon.

Kiffinís opinion of Luck was based not only on what heís seen but what heís heard.

ďEvery NFL scout who has come through (USC) has said his marks are off the charts.Ē

Give up man, everyone knows that the SEC is the only conference that makes NFL players anymore.

enjolras
10-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Give up man, everyone knows that the SEC is the only conference that makes NFL players anymore.

Bah.. it's more like the NFL makes SEC players.

RhymesayersDU
10-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Bah.. it's more like the NFL makes SEC players.

That... doesn't make sense.

cabronco
10-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Andrew would have been the unquestioned first overall pick of last year's draft, but he chose to come back to get his degree in architectural design, a rigorous major in the Stanford school of engineering. If that doesn't tell you everything about his character, I'm not sure what does. Even with his head coach (the hottest coaching candidate in football), bolting for the NFL...Luck didn't hesitate about coming back to get his degree.

Before this season he was asked what his goals were for this season. He responded that his team goal was to win the conference, something Stanford hasn't done...in ..well...nearly forever.

He said his personal goal was to improve his completion percentage, which last year was 70.7. In a pro-style offense, where he is routinely throwing down field, he wants to improve upon a 70% completion percentage? That's almost laughable.

So far this year his completion percentage sits at 71.4%.

He's going to live up to the hype, folks...and then some. Hopefully in orange and blue.

I agree with alot of the Luck talk, and would love to have him as our Qb, if we got the chance. Watching a few of their games though, I do notice he has a very good line in front of him. They seem to run the ball well too, so I think that all plays well for Luck and his numbers. I'm not sure he's as athletic as Rodgers. I dont think he throws very hard, but he's accurate and gets the ball out quick, and makes the game look easy.

Broncoman13
10-07-2011, 11:27 PM
I think we will end up getting Luck. I think we will end up drafting #4 and will offer the #4, #36, next year's first and probably a player...perhaps Tebow if we are lucky and its the Dolphins that will see after the bye that Tebow puts butts in the seats, even when he's not playing while on another team! But i think it will more likely be a stud player like Clady, DJ, Doom or a combination of Royal and Moreno. All going to the Colts. I think they would take DJ, Doom or Clay plus a few picks to make this happen!

NFLBRONCO
10-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I think we will end up getting Luck. I think we will end up drafting #4 and will offer the #4, #36, next year's first and probably a player...perhaps Tebow if we are lucky and its the Dolphins that will see after the bye that Tebow puts butts in the seats, even when he's not playing while on another team! But i think it will more likely be a stud player like Clady, DJ, Doom or a combination of Royal and Moreno. All going to the Colts. I think they would take DJ, Doom or Clay plus a few picks to make this happen!

Imo it would take Von Miller to do it. I just don't buy anyone getting top spot via trade with a once in 15 yr type QB. I feel a QB needy team will have top pick. If you want us to get him you better hope we finish 1-15. I highly doubt Colts will trade with us again like in 83.

NUB
10-07-2011, 11:43 PM

And while Denver is in the cellar gathering the champagne the rest of the AFC West slams the door shut and slaps a lock on it.

Agamemnon
10-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Lost to the Raiders. Beat Houston. Lost to Sandyeggo. So?

Quality analysis dip****...

epicSocialism4tw
10-08-2011, 02:31 AM
I don't get the idea of comparing Luck to Ryan. Just from what I hear on the radio and reading articles, they compare Luck to Elway not because they both came out of Stanford, but because they have the same physical attributes. We all know Elway was a freak athlete, his dad said his best sport was basketball, not football, not baseball.

I say start Tebow ASAP, see if he has the potential to take us back to the Superbowl. If he does, draft defense. If Tebow is a bust, mortgage the future on Luck.

Elway was much more athletic and dangerous on the run than Luck. Elway was almost the Michael Jordan of the football field in his day. Super athletic, can do everything well.

Luck is more like Aaron Rogers than Elway. Mobility is used as utility. He can take off with an open field and hurt you pretty bad. But he's not going to spin away from a tackler, juke another guy, run off the field and throw a bullet across his body 30 yards down the field.

Elway also had a much more powerful arm. Elway threw an unbelievable bullet and could throw incredibly far with incredible velocity while scrambling and throwing at odd angles.

Luck is not Elway and anyone who says that he is didnt see very much of John Elway.

epicSocialism4tw
10-08-2011, 02:33 AM
2008 Okla/Bradford won the Heisman, got to go to the BCS-NC game.
Set a new NCAA All Time season scoring record, (54 pts/gm, 716 total pts).
Tebow, who got more 1st place Heisman votes than either Bradford or McCoy
was also in that BCS-NC game.
UF/Tebow 24 - 14 Ok/Bradford,,,,,,
(OK/Bradford got -40 pts UNDER their pts/gm average,,,, sorry sammy).

BTW, is Jones leading Ok to 54 pts/gm right now? If not, then he's not even as good as Bradford was/is.
And Bradford already proved that he's not as good as Tebow, in the BCS-NC game or as a rookie QB in the NFL.
Wake-TF-Up guys. :wiggle:

The difference in college stats, is in which conference you accumulated them.
Some college stats are 'obviously' better indicators than others are.
(general rule, not a guarantee, exceptions do pop up occasionally)

Now, for those few that constantly whine that college stats mean NOTHING:

2010 Rookie NFL QB Passer Ratings:
T.Tebow - 82.1 - 5 TD's to 3 Ints, Ratio 1.64 to 1.
S.Bradford 76.5 - 18 TD's to 15 Int's, Ratio 1.2 to 1.
C.McCoy - 74.5 - 6 TD's to 9 Int's, Ratio .64 to 1.
J.Clausen - 58.4 - 3 TD's to 9 Int's, Ratio .33 to 1.

~ Quinn - 56.8 in his rookie year 07 - only a 66.8 for his 3 yr NFL career.
~ Orton had a 59.7 rookie rating, 9 TD-13 Ints -- His career PER is a 79.6.
~ Tom Brady 42.4
~ Joe Montana 81.2 close to Tebow, but only a 7.33 ypc. (dink & dunk) compared to Tebow's 15.4 ypc.

I can show and compare Tim to the Top NFL QB's in their 1st 3 (apples2apples) starts as rookies.
Passing TD - Rushing TD - Total TDs - INTs - Lost Fums - TDs per Turnover
Tim Tebow -- 4 - 3 - 7 - 3 - 0 - 2.33
Drew Brees -- 3 - 0 - 3 - 2 - 0 - 1.50
Tom Brady -- 2 - 0 - 2 - 0 - 2 - 1.00
P. Manning -- 2 - 0 - 2 - 8 - 1 - 0.22
Kyle Orton -- 1 - 0 - 1 - 6 - 1 -- 0.14

And still the media morons (& even some fans) go on and on about Tim's supposedly weak and inaccurate arm.
Or about Tim's so called bad mechanics and/or footwork.
Damn the actual 'on the field' results I guess..... :ouwknow:

An before anyone starts, NO, I'm not saying that it's a guarantee that Tebow will be a HoF QB,
or that Lucky or Jones will be NFL busts.
But anyone who claims the opposite is in an EVEN WEAKER stat-based position imoho.....:thumbs:

Shut up about Bradford. It makes you look like a moron.

epicSocialism4tw
10-08-2011, 02:39 AM

We wont get the first pick in the draft, and we wont get Luck.

If the early scouting hype is true, there's no way that the first team in the draft trades the pick. This league has become a QB's league and this is a guy receiving hype like Reggie Bush got years ago.

Luck will end up in Miami or Indy.

KCStud
10-08-2011, 03:03 AM
He'll definitely be a good QB, but I don't think he'll be as good as his hype suggest. He won't be better than Rodgers, Brady, Manning or Brees IMO.

epicSocialism4tw
10-08-2011, 03:09 AM
He'll definitely be a good QB, but I don't think he'll be as good as his hype suggest. He won't be better than Rodgers, Brady, Manning or Brees IMO.

Its extremely difficult to be as good as any of those guys. They are generational stars. Manning is arguably the greatest of all time, and Brady is in that conversation too. I would personally argue that Elway is the GOAT, but I understand the argument for Manning.

You would call it a success if a QB was the #1 pick and ended up with a career like McNabb or someone like that...a guy who was a tier below the generational greats. You would call it a success if he just became a long term starter with mixed results like Mark Sanchez.

But expecting a pick to hit is foolish. Even more foolish is expecting a player not only to hit, but to be a hall of famer.

Rohirrim
10-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Quality analysis dip****...

Oh. I forgot. When Timmy's playing it doesn't matter whether we win or lose. Ha!

bowtown
10-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Oh. I forgot. When Timmy's playing it doesn't matter whether we win or lose. Ha!

It's not whether you win or lose, it's how fast you pull the ball down and run with it.

spdirty
10-08-2011, 09:02 AM
This isn't an option, this is insane thinking. Throwing a season for a college QB who may or may not be a lock is not the way fans will rally around the Broncos. Orton in or out fine, Tebow in or out fine but we play to win every game. Even if the last game of the season the #1 pick is on the line, we go out playing to win. I will give up the Broncos and the NFL altogether if this is how we achieve a non-guaranteed future build on a lie or a fraud.

I don't understand your logic there. That's just not even trying to be intelligent. Hypothetically speaking if Week 17 is the Luck Bowl and the loser of that game gets him, you lose not only to get Luck but to keep him away from Kansas City.

I think every Bronco fans worst nightmare should be seeing KC get that pick. Hell if we were in the playoff hunt and they needed that loss to get him I hope we tank that game.

For me pride, honor, rooting for wins, all that goes away this season. Thank you Bowlen, Mcdip****, and Ellis. I want that pick.

OrangeSe7en
10-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Imo it would take Von Miller to do it. I just don't buy anyone getting top spot via trade with a once in 15 yr type QB. I feel a QB needy team will have top pick. If you want us to get him you better hope we finish 1-15. I highly doubt Colts will trade with us again like in 83.

The Colts have been competitive in too many games for everyone to assume it will be them. They still have Mathis and Freeney as well as a decent offensive line and one of the best groups of WRs in the game.

CEH
10-08-2011, 09:36 AM
The Colts have been competitive in too many games for everyone to assume it will be them. They still have Mathis and Freeney as well as a decent offensive line and one of the best groups of WRs in the game.

Colts vs Chiefs this week. Go Colts. We play KC twice , Minny and MIA but not Indy or Sea

I like our chances to Suck for Luck

Xenos
10-08-2011, 09:43 AM

From what I've read about him (key being read not seen), his greatest weakness is that his arm strength is not a cannon like Cutler, Rodgers, or Stafford. He grades out as a B+ arm at the moment. However, that is offset by his excellent throwing mechanics, which are near perfect from what I've read. But everything else physically is there including scrambling ability and throwing on the run. He's similar to Peyton as a draft prospect coming out because they are both incredibly polished players athletically and mentally with the main difference being that Peyton had a stronger arm while Luck has better feet.

bronco militia
10-08-2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.drewlitton.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/dragsterinkedcolor.gif

misturanderson
10-08-2011, 03:26 PM
From what I've read about him (key being read not seen), his greatest weakness is that his arm strength is not a cannon like Cutler, Rodgers, or Stafford. He grades out as a B+ arm at the moment. However, that is offset by his excellent throwing mechanics, which are near perfect from what I've read. But everything else physically is there including scrambling ability and throwing on the run. He's similar to Peyton as a draft prospect coming out because they are both incredibly polished players athletically and mentally with the main difference being that Peyton had a stronger arm while Luck has better feet.

His arm strength is at least equivalent to Manning's (who doesn't have arm strength in the same category as those you listed).

Tombstone RJ
10-08-2011, 03:59 PM

He does not have a quick release so his mechanics are by no means perfect. Luck has a long wind up. His feet are ok, but nothing special. I know what you've read but if you watch the the highlight vid of him you can see his long wind up when he throws.

Very Tebowesque I must say.

Broncoman13
10-08-2011, 06:13 PM
When he takes a three step drop he is remarkable at getting the ball out the second his third step hits the grass. While physically there are a lot of QBs that can do that, they cannot necessarily make the reads pre-snap and after the snap in the second it takes to make the throw. The result is, he picks up a lot of first downs and puts the team in a lot of short yardage situations for 3rd downs.

He also has a remarkable ability to throw on the run. Not just throwing on the move, but throwing while sprinting to the right. I've seen two games this year and in both games he has a sprint right TD throw to the corner of the endzone, both to TEs with minimal separation. I'd say his accuracy on those throws is greater than most QBs while setting up in the pocket... Incredible accuracy while throwing on the run.

He has great size, great speed, above average arm strength, great accuracy, and is considered to be a great leader. Couple that with the fact that he may be one of those 40+ wonderlic types... very smart!

Not that CU is great competition or anything, but watch Luck's quick setup and his throws while on the run.

CEH
10-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Gee Elway is on the sidelines getting a first hand look at this heir apparent

spdirty
10-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Lol Elways at the game watching Luck right now.

Mile High Mojoe
10-08-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't understand your logic there. That's just not even trying to be intelligent. Hypothetically speaking if Week 17 is the Luck Bowl and the loser of that game gets him, you lose not only to get Luck but to keep him away from Kansas City.

I think every Bronco fans worst nightmare should be seeing KC get that pick. Hell if we were in the playoff hunt and they needed that loss to get him I hope we tank that game.

For me pride, honor, rooting for wins, all that goes away this season. Thank you Bowlen, Mcdip****, and Ellis. I want that pick.

I just donít agree. Thereís something terribly wrong with purposely laying down and losing a game to get a draft pick. Luck may be the best QB ever to come out of college but I donít like the idea of rolling over, itís just bad karma. If we have to get him in a dishonest way Iíd bet the farm that Luck flops big time.

Luck might be a good QB in the NFL but that has been said many times about many QBís coming out of college. The NFL is a faster tougher game, better defensive units, better DBís, better pass rushers who deliver bigger hits. If he goes #1 heíll go to team that probably doesnít have many skill position players on offense and probably has a substandard OL. He may be smart but if heís getting knocked on his ass most of the time I wonder how long it is before he fades away like so many other canít miss QBís have on bad teams.

All the indicators point to him as the #1 guy taken in the draft but its doubtful will get him anyway. I want to see the Broncos improve today and not base the future on another college lock that hasnít had one snap in the NFL. If we donít get the #1 pick attempt a trade for him if possible but throwing games isnít the answer. He may be the next big thing but coaching and playing to lose is a great way to continue to coach and lose.

chawknz
10-08-2011, 06:18 PM
I think that says it all. I'm sure Elway is not there to see CU. :P

CEH
10-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Just go watch his 26 yard strike rolling out to his weak side to see why Luck is the real deal and is the reason Elway is ga ga over Luck

3rd and 25 from the 30 Luck steps up and completes a pass one down to the one then TD. 11/15 so far

rbackfactory80
10-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I am watching the game now. Luck looks like he is on vacation.

Mile High Mojoe
10-08-2011, 06:52 PM

I saw the score, unbelievable. 27 points and the first half isn't even over yet.

rbackfactory80
10-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I saw the score, unbelievable. 27 points and the first half isn't even over yet.

You should see Elway at the Game. He has a huge boner for Luck and it's all over his face.

teknic
10-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I've only seen one full game of Stanford this year, and bits and pieces of Luck highlights, but I do understand the hype. He has the ideal skillset, a good size, and is extremely intelligent.

I would not be willing to give up as much as some posters here are suggesting, though. Von Miller and 3 firsts? That's laughable. If you would even consider that trade, even Matt Millen would find you deplorable. No player in college football is guaranteed to be a good pro. Every year, the media hype train gets rolling for a couple of players. I do think that Luck will end up a very good QB in the NFL, but anything can happen.

rbackfactory80
10-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Von Miller and three firsts???? Show me one poster who ever said that.

SoCalBronco
10-08-2011, 07:07 PM
I've only seen one full game of Stanford this year, and bits and pieces of Luck highlights, but I do understand the hype. He has the ideal skillset, a good size, and is extremely intelligent.

I would not be willing to give up as much as some posters here are suggesting, though. Von Miller and 3 firsts? That's laughable. If you would even consider that trade, even Matt Millen would find you deplorable. No player in college football is guaranteed to be a good pro. Every year, the media hype train gets rolling for a couple of players. I do think that Luck will end up a very good QB in the NFL, but anything can happen.

I don't think anyone has seriously suggested 3 firsts AND Von Miller. Von Miller is untouchable. However, if DEN is picking around the Top 5, I wouldn't be opposed to throwing in the 2nd and also the next year's 1st to get him. I want a franchise QB again, badly. The last one was stolen from us....we need another one. Luck is a monster and is a great fit, even for a run-first pro style offense. If Elway wants to officially Suck for Luck, I'll support him on that, because we're not going anywhere in 2011, anyway, so the detriments don't exceed the potential benefit. I really want to pair Luck with Von Miller. Two franchise players, one on each side of the ball. Great foundation.

Popps
10-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I don't think anyone has seriously suggested 3 firsts AND Von Miller. Von Miller is untouchable. However, if DEN is picking around the Top 5, I wouldn't be opposed to throwing in the 2nd and also the next year's 1st to get him. I want a franchise QB again, badly. The last one was stolen from us....we need another one. Luck is a monster and is a great fit, even for a run-first pro style offense. If Elway wants to officially Suck for Luck, I'll support him on that, because we're not going anywhere in 2011, anyway, so the detriments don't exceed the potential benefit. I really want to pair Luck with Von Miller. Two franchise players, one on each side of the ball. Great foundation.

Hilarious!

Elway retired, brother. Unless you're talking about Jake, and I wouldn't go that far.

SoCalBronco
10-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Hilarious!

Elway retired, brother. Unless you're talking about Jake, and I wouldn't go that far.

Andrew Luck certainly is a worthy heir to Jay's throne of greatness, brother Popps.

SoCalBronco
10-08-2011, 07:17 PM
You should see Elway at the Game. He has a huge boner for Luck and it's all over his face.

Yep. It's very obvious.

strafen
10-08-2011, 07:52 PM
They showed Elway at the end of the 1st half saying something to the Stanford headcoach.
And yeah, he's on the sidelines checking out the action :strong:

Circle Orange
10-08-2011, 08:35 PM

Positives:
film junkie
NFL size
Can sell the play action

Negatives:

This is consistent with what I've heard, too...I read an interview with Luck and it was pretty good (don't remember the source now). With the Elway comparisons, he said he doesn't have John's arm. Still, if this guy pans out the sweepstakes could get interesting come draft day.

rbackfactory80
10-08-2011, 08:44 PM
I just watched the entire game. He has great pocket awareness. He can either roll out and deliver it on the run or step up into the pocket and deliver a strike. He is very athletic and I think Aaron Rodgers is a nice comparison minus the arm strength. Reminds me a little of Rivers throwing the ball with a good amount more zip on it. Great leader on the field, he demands respect and it's obvious.

With all that said, we have a very talented guy on our bench. I am ready to gamble with either of those options.

Requiem
10-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Luck would be amazing. I'm just hopeful that Orton gets a great deal and performs well next season to net us a top compensatory selection in 2013. Even though we had to endure his awfulness for this year, we will get something for it.

Requiem
10-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Yep. It's very obvious.

Are there any screenshots people have of Elway at the game? I've been partying all night.

peacepipe
10-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Luck would be amazing. I'm just hopeful that Orton gets a great deal and performs well next season to net us a top compensatory selection in 2013. Even though we had to endure his awfulness for this year, we will get something for it.I don't think denver is going to give Orton a contract just to get a compensatory pick in 2013.

misturanderson
10-09-2011, 08:44 AM
I don't think denver is going to give Orton a contract just to get a compensatory pick in 2013.

That's not how compensatory picks work and therefore isn't what he said.

peacepipe
10-09-2011, 08:47 AM
That's not how compensatory picks work and therefore isn't what he said.my bad,misread his post.

Tombstone RJ
10-09-2011, 09:02 AM

he was on vacation. you do realize the buffs suck big time, right? I mean they suck bad. Did you see the Hawaii game? Um yah, the Hawaii QB looked like a friggen NFL all pro.

just saying...

Tombstone RJ
10-09-2011, 09:04 AM

yep, good post and back to reality, thanks!

Tombstone RJ
10-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Ooops, now back to dreamy land.

peacepipe
10-09-2011, 09:11 AM
he was on vacation. you do realize the buffs suck big time, right? I mean they suck bad. Did you see the Hawaii game? Um yah, the Hawaii QB looked like a friggen NFL all pro.

just saying...then I guess stanford has been playing Colorado all season cuz luck has looked liked an all-pro all season long. last yr too.

Tombstone RJ
10-09-2011, 09:21 AM
then I guess stanford has been playing Colorado all season cuz luck has looked liked an all-pro all season long. last yr too.

Well it is the PAC-10, just saying...

peacepipe
10-09-2011, 09:40 AM

Aaron Rodgers came out of the PAC-10,just saying...

OrangeSe7en
10-09-2011, 09:43 AM

True but his biggest weapons are probably his two tight ends. He's carving teams up out of big formations. His accuracy is accurately portrayed by his completion %. Again, he's throwing a lot to TEs. It's not like he's getting the ball to amazing athletes in space on bubble screens all the time like some QBs.

But then too. He has excellent mobility. He's smart. He also has one thing that Peyton had, which is a father who was an NFL QB that has likely mentored him. Having an NFL father does not guarantee success but it's hard to say it wouldn't be an advantage.

As far as prospects go, the guy has everything.

Shananahan
10-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Luck is a monster and is a great fit, even for a run-first pro style offense.
Isn't that more or less exactly what he runs at Stanford?

Totally agreed on everything else you said if Tebow doesn't show it this year.

RhymesayersDU
10-09-2011, 09:51 AM
I just donít agree. Thereís something terribly wrong with purposely laying down and losing a game to get a draft pick. Luck may be the best QB ever to come out of college but I donít like the idea of rolling over, itís just bad karma. If we have to get him in a dishonest way Iíd bet the farm that Luck flops big time.

Luck might be a good QB in the NFL but that has been said many times about many QBís coming out of college. The NFL is a faster tougher game, better defensive units, better DBís, better pass rushers who deliver bigger hits. If he goes #1 heíll go to team that probably doesnít have many skill position players on offense and probably has a substandard OL. He may be smart but if heís getting knocked on his ass most of the time I wonder how long it is before he fades away like so many other canít miss QBís have on bad teams.

All the indicators point to him as the #1 guy taken in the draft but its doubtful will get him anyway. I want to see the Broncos improve today and not base the future on another college lock that hasnít had one snap in the NFL. If we donít get the #1 pick attempt a trade for him if possible but throwing games isnít the answer. He may be the next big thing but coaching and playing to lose is a great way to continue to coach and lose.

So basic question:

Did the Broncos improve more last year by fighting in that last game against San Diego, or did they improve more the moment they drafted Von Miller?

Because it's clearly the latter. And again, I agree with you about tanking a whole season. That's insane. But the last game? I think that's just smart. There is zero difference between say 2-14 and 3-13.

Rohirrim
10-09-2011, 09:58 AM
One of the reporters during yesterday's game asked Elway what stood out for him about Luck. He said it was his ability to make something from nothing and throw accurate passes while on the run.

Tombstone RJ
10-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Aaron Rodgers came out of the PAC-10,just saying...

and so did Matt Leinart, what the hell is your point?

Tombstone RJ
10-09-2011, 10:02 AM
True but his biggest weapons are probably his two tight ends. He's carving teams up out of big formations. His accuracy is accurately portrayed by his completion %. Again, he's throwing a lot to TEs. It's not like he's getting the ball to amazing athletes in space on bubble screens all the time like some QBs.

But then too. He has excellent mobility. He's smart. He also has one thing that Peyton had, which is a father who was an NFL QB that has likely mentored him. Having an NFL father does not guarantee success but it's hard to say it wouldn't be an advantage.

As far as prospects go, the guy has everything.

I'd say he's on par with Sam Bradford, perhaps he's more intelligent. Excellent prospect, yes. Give up the house for him while trying to rebuild throught the draft?

hell no.

peacepipe
10-09-2011, 10:03 AM

My point being that being in the pac 10 isn't disqualifier.

theAPAOps5
10-09-2011, 10:06 AM

He bitched out on us after hearing rumors..... just sayin. Our only franchise QB never bitched when there was talks of trades, or when another QB was drafted to "replace" him, he just proved them wrong.

I think Luck is everything that many people have convinced themselves Cutler is. But in this case you don't have to be delusional! ^5

Tombstone RJ
10-09-2011, 10:08 AM
My point being that being in the pac 10 isn't disqualifier.

And my point is that the PAC-10 has produced a lot of sucky QBs in the NFL, most of them coming from USC.

I can make an very easy argument that Tebow played against tougher competition in college. Very easy argument.

Is Luck a great NFL prospect, hells yah! Is the slobber job he's receiving a little over the top? another hell's yah!

NUB
10-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I had a dream last night that St. Louis took Luck #1 then traded the pick to Kansas City who was at #4.

Prophecy!

Play2win
10-09-2011, 10:11 AM
One of the reporters during yesterday's game asked Elway what stood out for him about Luck. He said it was his ability to make something from nothing and throw accurate passes while on the run.

Hmmm... sounds familiar for some reason...

Rohirrim
10-09-2011, 10:14 AM

His point is, you're an ahole. ;D

If anybody knows **** about football all you have to say is, "Watch a few of his games." There are no smoke and mirrors. He's not playing in any tricked up offense. It's your basic pro-style WCO, heavy on the run to pass. He plays a lot of three TE sets, but that's because Shaw realizes that he's got three TEs over 6'6" who play more like WRs. You can jerk around with the stats or sling **** on a message board, whatever. Just watch the games for yourself.

Or do what I did yesterday, watch five games in a row, with one of Stanford's games mixed in, where you can compare him to the other QBs on those other teams. Compare the accuracy of his passes to those other QBs. Compare the management of the offense. Like the old saying goes, it's as clear as the nose on your face. He's a man amongst boys.

The Joker
10-09-2011, 10:14 AM
The game against Miami will decide our chances of getting Luck, beat them and we're toast!!

Northman
10-09-2011, 10:18 AM
I'd say he's on par with Sam Bradford, perhaps he's more intelligent. Excellent prospect, yes. Give up the house for him while trying to rebuild throught the draft?

hell no.

Agreed. Its one thing if Luck landed in our laps because of our record. But frankly, the upcoming draft is QB heavy with a lot of good prospects. Sacrificing an entire draft when we have other needs outside of the QB position is moronic beyond belief.

OrangeSe7en
10-09-2011, 10:21 AM

hell no.

Id say that, when Bradford came out, his best traits was his accuracy and composure. Luck also has this. Bradford isn't the all around athlete Luck is though. I think Luck is probably smarter than Bradford but I dont think this is really much of a limitation for Bradfor either.

In Luck, you might have Manning's equal as a passer but with superior athleticism. Who knows, Luck might even be a better passer. Again, it's not like he's playing with the same athletes that Manning played with at Tennessee.

Play2win
10-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Put Tebow in, we loose a bunch of games (if not all of 'em), but Tebow brings a lot of fun and excitement, and the games are FUN to watch again.

Then, next year we draft LUCK and go on to win a whole bunch of games and Broncos Football is back (finally!!).

Rohirrim
10-09-2011, 10:30 AM
There are a couple of other Stanford players I'd like to see on the Broncos. One is Coby Fleener, TE, 6'6", 220. And the other is David DeCastro, G, 6'5", 320. Of course, they're probably both first rounders so, not much hope in that.

Shananahan
10-09-2011, 10:52 AM
There are no smoke and mirrors. He's not playing in any tricked up offense. It's your basic pro-style WCO, heavy on the run to pass. He plays a lot of three TE sets, but that's because Shaw realizes that he's got three TEs over 6'6" who play more like WRs.

Like the old saying goes, it's as clear as the nose on your face. He's a man amongst boys.
Yeah. I can think of a run-heavy coach who just loaded up on TEs that could use a guy like Luck.

Shananahan
10-09-2011, 10:55 AM
I think that's my first post in this thread, so I should try and preface it with the fact that Luck is clearly not a lock. Nobody is. That said, I think he's good enough to throw a couple firsts and then some at if Denver's in position to do so.

If they're not in range (top ten) then it's just a pipe dream and I would not approve of the move at that cost.

oubronco
10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Read this and you'll know why Elway wants Luck

http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_19074532

DBroncos4life
10-09-2011, 11:11 AM
And my point is that the PAC-10 has produced a lot of sucky QBs in the NFL, most of them coming from USC.

I can make an very easy argument that Tebow played against tougher competition in college. Very easy argument.

Is Luck a great NFL prospect, hells yah! Is the slobber job he's receiving a little over the top? another hell's yah!

Yeah everyone knows SEC players don't bust Ha!LOLHilarious!

Tombstone RJ
10-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Yeah everyone knows SEC players don't bust Ha!LOLHilarious!

I never claimed they didn't. However, which college division has the most players currently on NFL rosters? Let me help you brother: the SEC.

DarkHorse
10-09-2011, 12:20 PM
As I stated from another thread:

This board will suddenly turn to Luck Sucks once Denver doesn't draft him. He'll become the most overrated player in the history of this board....overnight.

Right now, he's the cats eye. Best prospect to ever come out, our savior - Suck for Luck.

Wait until we don't draft him/can't draft him.