PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2012 General NHL Hockey Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

gyldenlove
07-04-2012, 11:23 AM
The West got a lot tougher. Minnesota got the two biggest fishes in the FA pond. Now we can move on and watch teams overpay through trades etc.

I would think the Wild will be fine, cap wise. They have a lot of money coming off the books next year, and they will have a ton of cap space.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=MIN

19 mllion in cap space prior to signing Parise/Suter.

19 million is fine, these 2 deals take up about 13 million and that still leaves the Wild at least 1 defenseman short and with 3 RFAs to resign - they are going to be eating up that space they have left.

It is fine having money come off the books, but when most of that money is your all-star goaltender that is a bit of a problem, especially with the salary expected to decrease due to a new CBA.

SoCalBronco
07-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Now that Parise is out, look for Pittsburgh to move Martin. They may also put together an offer involving Despres to Anaheim for Ryan.

maher_tyler
07-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Wild just got a lot better...kinda figured Parise would go there since he's from there. Suter is a surprise though. Avs young guns really need to step up with these two going to Minnesota...

SoCalBronco
07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Pens GM Shero on finding a winger to play with 87: That'd be fantastic. That'd make my life a lot easier. We're getting there. 4 minutes ago

SoCalBronco
07-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Pittsburgh talking to Colorado?

I know Sid is working out with Duchene...

gyldenlove
07-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Could be Milan Hejduk.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Duchene just re-signed and Hedjuk could have tested FA but chose to re-sign for another year. It's not them, or EJ or Landeskog.

gyldenlove
07-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Duchene just re-signed and Hedjuk could have tested FA but chose to re-sign for another year. It's not them, or EJ or Landeskog.

That leaves David Jones and Jan Hejda I guess.

SoCalBronco
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
It's gotta be Landeskog for Tyler Kennedy and a 3rd. It just has to.

;D

canadianbroncosfan
07-04-2012, 03:13 PM

You're dreaming more than when Incarcerated Bob told you Parise was going to the Pens :~ohyah!:

SoCalBronco
07-04-2012, 03:15 PM
You're dreaming more than when Incarcerated Bob told you Parise was going to the Pens :~ohyah!:

To be fair, I think I mentioned I would wait for a credible source to say it after Incarcerated Bob made that statement.

Aftermath
07-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Do you post every Pens rumor you hear? I mean I could do that to for Philly but there would be hundreds of posts.

Philly in on Parise
Philly in on Suter
Philly in on Nash
Philly in on Ryan
Philly in on Doan
Philly in on everyone.....

SoCalBronco
07-04-2012, 06:28 PM
No I don't post every pens rumor. Someone is in a douche mood.

Aftermath
07-05-2012, 01:05 AM
No I don't post every pens rumor. Someone is in a douche mood.

Not trying to be, just saying... Theres wayyyy too many rumors going around ATM, the majority of the teams are involved in a half a dozen rumors a piece.

Ray Finkle
07-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Do you post every Pens rumor you hear? I mean I could do that to for Philly but there would be hundreds of posts.

Philly in on Parise
Philly in on Suter
Philly in on Nash
Philly in on Ryan
Philly in on Doan
Philly in on everyone.....

that because the Hockey world revolves around Syndei's vagina....

Smiling Assassin27
07-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Wow, Nash going to LA was quite a surprise. ;)

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Carle going to Tampa - this makes the D-market interesting, very few FA options available. Is a team going to throw the proverbial kitchen sink at Weber?

Ray Finkle
07-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Carle going to Tampa - this makes the D-market interesting, very few FA options available. Is a team going to throw the proverbial kitchen sink at Weber?

Carle was a vast overpayment in a watered down market. Weber is going to command more that what CBJ gets for Nash.

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 08:45 AM
According to Dreger, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philly, San Jose and Rangers and possibly Carolina are talking to the BJs about Nash.

Smiling Assassin27
07-05-2012, 08:46 AM
According to Dreger, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philly, San Jose and Rangers and possibly Carolina are talking to the BJs about Nash.

From waht I've read, Doan's agent has been actively engaging Detroit.

Ray Finkle
07-05-2012, 08:46 AM

still asking for the moon for him. He's a good player but has that huge cap hit for many years.

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Carle was a vast overpayment in a watered down market. Weber is going to command more that what CBJ gets for Nash.

I think the real trick with Weber is to give him a 1 year offer sheet at the max - CB has wowed to match, so that would give them a lot of money to pay one guy and he would be a UFA next year. Next year could be a really big year for UFA since a lot of teams have a ton of expiring deals due to the CBA ending.

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 08:47 AM
still asking for the moon for him. He's a good player but has that huge cap hit for many years.

Same cap hit as Parise, he is the same age as Parise but fewer years on his contract.

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 08:48 AM
From waht I've read, Doan's agent has been actively engaging Detroit.

I am going to punch myself in the dick and put away all my red wing gear for as long as Doan plays in Detroit - I hate him and his cheapshotting ass.

Ray Finkle
07-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Same cap hit as Parise, he is the same age as Parise but fewer years on his contract.

Parise's cap hit is front loaded and tiered down as the years move on. I thought Nash's hit was straight through.

Ray Finkle
07-05-2012, 08:51 AM
I am going to punch myself in the dick and put away all my red wing gear for as long as Doan plays in Detroit - I hate him and his cheapshotting ass.

Please take video....it would be worth Doan signing in Detroit to see it.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-05-2012, 09:04 AM

And Nash has only hit 70 points once in his career for that cap hit.

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Parise's cap hit is front loaded and tiered down as the years move on. I thought Nash's hit was straight through.

Oh you mean the cash? NHL salary cap is the total amount of money in the contract divided by how long the contract is so it doesn't change year by year. Parises deal is front loaded in terms of cash, he will get 10+ million plus for a few years and then drop to 9 million for like 7 years and then drop to 1 million in the last few years - so in terms of cash those last years are cheap.

Nash salary is about 8 million every year.

Smiling Assassin27
07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Columbus Dispatch today:

Now, can you imagine Nash playing with Pavel Datsyuk or Henrik Zetterberg in Detroit, and drumming the Jackets six times a season? Imagine Red Wings fans scalping off half the house at Nationwide Arena, reveling in the carnage and throwing seafood on the ice? Imagine this going on for six or eight or a dozen years?

Please, say it ain’t so. The Red Wings are supposed to be archrivals. They play three hours up the road in Michigan. They are in the same division. Chase them, catch them and maybe, eventually, beat them — but do not help them.

Do not give them the only star the Jackets have ever had, the franchise’s career leader in every important offensive category, the man who was supposed to be the cornerstone of the enterprise. To do so would be a crime against sport. Is that an overstatement? I do not think so. Think of the fans. Think of the soul of the operation. It should have a soul, should it not?

There is only one scenario whereby Nash-to-Detroit would be acceptable, and that is if the Wings give up GM Ken Holland, coach Mike Babcock and a goaltender (preferably, Jimmy Howard). Absent such a weighty return, the Jackets are no closer to beating the Wings for another generation. Is that not the point, to beat them?

Classic.

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 09:20 AM
And Nash has only hit 70 points once in his career for that cap hit.

Nash scores .81 point per game for his career, Parise is at 0.82.

Nash scores a few more goals than assists, while Parise has a few more assists than goals - but on the whole extremely similar.

Nash has only twice played 80 or more games in a season while Parise has played at least 81 games in every season but 1. Nash has never played fewer than 50 games in a season, Parise has played only 13 games in the one season he was injured.

Parise has played with better players than Nash, but Nash has been getting the juicey minutes to himself whereas Parise has been sharing them, so I think their point and goal rates are pretty representative.

24champ
07-05-2012, 09:30 AM

The one that trades for Nash is going to massively overpay.

Beantown Bronco
07-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Nash scores .81 point per game for his career, Parise is at 0.82.

Nash scores a few more goals than assists, while Parise has a few more assists than goals - but on the whole extremely similar.

Nash has only twice played 80 or more games in a season while Parise has played at least 81 games in every season but 1. Nash has never played fewer than 50 games in a season, Parise has played only 13 games in the one season he was injured.

Parise has played with better players than Nash, but Nash has been getting the juicey minutes to himself whereas Parise has been sharing them, so I think their point and goal rates are pretty representative.

Yup. For me, they're essentially the same player. Except one could have been had for "free" while the other is going to cost you a bounty of picks/players.

Ray Finkle
07-05-2012, 09:32 AM
The one that trades for Nash is going to massively overpay.

I still don't see any team overpaying for him. They know he wants out of CBJ and that Howson has to deal him. The leverage is in the trading teams hands.

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 09:44 AM
I still don't see any team overpaying for him. They know he wants out of CBJ and that Howson has to deal him. The leverage is in the trading teams hands.

I have to agree here, this is probably going to be a waiting game especially with Hemsky and Ryan out there and the x-factors of Semin and Doan. Wingers can be had and while Nash is probably the best one, there are alternatives and I think a few of the teams currently involved will turn elsewhere.

As a side note, did anyone see the comment that it was important to Parise that he got the same contract that Suter did? for a guy who said it wasn't about the money that is pretty weird because most teams offered Suter a bigger contract than they did Parise.

Smiling Assassin27
07-05-2012, 09:44 AM
If I'm Holland, I put Nash on the backburner til trading deadline time. Maybe pick up a guy like Semin to play with Datsyuk and let guys like Kindl and Smith take some lumps but get better.

Ray Finkle
07-05-2012, 09:56 AM
If I'm Holland, I put Nash on the backburner til trading deadline time. Maybe pick up a guy like Semin to play with Datsyuk and let guys like Kindl and Smith take some lumps but get better.

Can't do that with Nash, it is such a PR mess right now, it would hang over the team's head every day until he is traded. It'd be like Denver keeping Tebow this season...

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 09:59 AM

I would still like to pick up a defenseman, between Quincey, Smith and Kindle that bottom 3 is not great for a team that wants to compete in the West and there is no depth at all.

Smiling Assassin27
07-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I would still like to pick up a defenseman, between Quincey, Smith and Kindle that bottom 3 is not great for a team that wants to compete in the West and there is no depth at all.

I'm not seeing a top pairing defenseman on the free agent market, so I guess it'd have to be via trade. I guess they could make a run at Yandle or something (he's not really a #1, though), unless they really wanna make a huge offer to weber, which really ain't holland's style.

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm not seeing a top pairing defenseman on the free agent market, so I guess it'd have to be via trade. I guess they could make a run at Yandle or something (he's not really a #1, though), unless they really wanna make a huge offer to weber, which really ain't holland's style.

Yandle and Bouwmeester are both rumored to be available, neither is a true number 1 but would certainly fill in the top 4. Alternatively going after a 1 year deal with a veteran guy like Scott Hannan to bolster depth and hope to get through this season and then make a run at someone next year.

24champ
07-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Howson doesn't appear eager to dump Nash, if he was...Nash would have been traded last season.

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Howson doesn't appear eager to dump Nash, if he was...Nash would have been traded last season.

Howson is in the very unenviable position of having 1 chip left, so his only move is all-in, trading Nash effectively resets the organization to Edmonton Oiler status where they are going to be looking at a couple of top lottery picks over the coming season to help their rebuilding - but Howson knows that if that happens he probably won't be around to administer those picks - so he has to get enough back that he can keep the team from ending up in last place but also enough for the future that he can cogently argue that the team will improve shortly and be competitive.

Ray Finkle
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM

This has far reached the tipping point. He cannot have Nash on the team this fall and expect it to not be a season damaging distraction.

24champ
07-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Howson is in the very unenviable position of having 1 chip left, so his only move is all-in, trading Nash effectively resets the organization to Edmonton Oiler status where they are going to be looking at a couple of top lottery picks over the coming season to help their rebuilding - but Howson knows that if that happens he probably won't be around to administer those picks - so he has to get enough back that he can keep the team from ending up in last place but also enough for the future that he can cogently argue that the team will improve shortly and be competitive.

That's true. It reminds me a little of the Heatley saga a few years ago. High asking price and high cap hit.

24champ
07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
This has far reached the tipping point. He cannot have Nash on the team this fall and expect it to not be a season damaging distraction.

This isn't anything new, its been going on for awhile. I don't think it would be all that distracting.

SoCalBronco
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM

I have a feeling it will be the rags who overpay for him. Bob scored more often in the playoffs. They can't go another playoff season asking hank to win every game 2 to 1.

gyldenlove
07-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I have a feeling it will be the rags who overpay for him. Bob scored more often in the playoffs. They can't go another playoff season asking hank to win every game 2 to 1.

Could be San Jose, if they package Ryane Clowe or Joe Pavelski, Freddie Hamilton and a goodie bag they would have enough cap room to fit him.

I would imagine they would play Thornton, Marleau and Nash together with Havlat, Couture and Pavelski or Clowe as the 2nd line that would be a very potent top 6.

Ray Finkle
07-05-2012, 02:51 PM

when was the last time Sather overpaid in a trade with NY? Look back and let me know.....the next time will be the first....

chadta
07-06-2012, 05:16 AM
If we don't get anybody good. . . I am gonna root for the Florida Panthers!

:wave:

Smiling Assassin27
07-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Yandle and Bouwmeester are both rumored to be available, neither is a true number 1 but would certainly fill in the top 4. Alternatively going after a 1 year deal with a veteran guy like Scott Hannan to bolster depth and hope to get through this season and then make a run at someone next year.

I totally forgot about Roszival and Hannan. Kubina's still out there too, but I think Holland should just go to the Lidstrom household with a trunk full of money and partial Wings ownership for another year out of Nick. ;)

Ray Finkle
07-06-2012, 08:43 AM
I totally forgot about Roszival and Hannan. Kubina's still out there too, but I think Holland should just go to the Lidstrom household with a trunk full of money and partial Wings ownership for another year out of Nick. ;)

Rosie sucks.....

Smiling Assassin27
07-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Rosie sucks.....

Depends on the cap number. He's a right handed shot and can play the PP, so he's not altogether useless. It'd be a short term proposition since top pairing d-men are all gone.

Ray Finkle
07-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Depends on the cap number. He's a right handed shot and can play the PP, so he's not altogether useless. It'd be a short term proposition since top pairing d-men are all gone.

He's a 6th/7th on a good team. He won't take the body and hasn't been the same since he injured his hip.

chadta
07-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Kubina's still out there too

the only big guy who played smaller than Kubina is Mario, the guy got benched in favor of 2 ahl callups, stay away, stay away

canadianbroncosfan
07-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Luongo admits it's time to move on from Vancouver and Chicago is a possible destination, FML.

DivineLegion
07-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Canes talking to the Jets about swapping Jeff Skinner for Evander Kane.

Ray Finkle
07-07-2012, 03:04 PM
Canes talking to the Jets about swapping Jeff Skinner for Evander Kane.

that'd be a poor move by the Canes....

SoCalBronco
07-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Some crazy and probably completely made up rumors going around that PIT is about to sign Semin. He's kind of a modern day Kovalev....crazy skills, poor work ethic and bad teammate.

This wouldn't make much sense....I mean I understand that pairing him with Sid would be totally lethal (or maybe Geno, a fellow Russian, and then they could move James Neal to Sid's line), but this guy has an awful reputation and he had bad things to say about Sid, previously. Plus he disappears in the playoffs. The skill is there and it would be dynamite on the ice with one of the centers feeding him, but there's just too much bad stuff there. I'd pass, JMO, unless it was a very short term deal so as to eliminate the risk if it fails.

/another Pens related rumor for Aftermath

Ray Finkle
07-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Some crazy and probably completely made up rumors going around that PIT is about to sign Semin. He's kind of a modern day Kovalev....crazy skills, poor work ethic and bad teammate.

This wouldn't make much sense....I mean I understand that pairing him with Sid would be totally lethal (or maybe Geno, a fellow Russian, and then they could move James Neal to Sid's line), but this guy has an awful reputation and he had bad things to say about Sid, previously. Plus he disappears in the playoffs. The skill is there and it would be dynamite on the ice with one of the centers feeding him, but there's just too much bad stuff there. I'd pass, JMO, unless it was a very short term deal so as to eliminate the risk if it fails.

/another Pens related rumor for Aftermath

Can we change this thread name to 2011-2012 Pens Hockey Thread?

Semin is not a cancer along the lines of Kovy. He had issues with Ovie and Ovie's lack of work ethic. That's what caused the divide between Caps players in the lockeroom.

The really knock on him is that he refuses to back check/put up an effort on D.

SoCalBronco
07-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Can we change this thread name to 2011-2012 Pens Hockey Thread?

Semin is not a cancer along the lines of Kovy. He had issues with Ovie and Ovie's lack of work ethic. That's what caused the divide between Caps players in the lockeroom.

The really knock on him is that he refuses to back check/put up an effort on D.

I thought ovie was his best friend...no?

bronco militia
07-09-2012, 09:09 AM
the Pens with another forward that refuses to back check? Sounds like a perfect match! ;D

Ray Finkle
07-09-2012, 09:16 AM
I thought ovie was his best friend...no?

nope, they didn't get along with each other towards the end.

SoCalBronco
07-09-2012, 09:22 AM

That surprises me....but you live in the area and have met a bunch of caps so I'll take your word for it.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-09-2012, 09:36 AM

Ovy got tired of his ****, not the other way around.

The issue with the Caps lockerroom was and still is a total lack of maturity and a FO that didn't do jack **** to change the culture in the lockerroom. Just another reason why GMGM should have been canned years ago. They preferred to have the guys "grow up together" through the rebuild, and all that did was create a lockerroom full of guys who didn't have to grow up. Matt Bradley and Jason Arnott both pointed that out when they left the Caps, though IIRC, Bradley did say that Semin was the main problem and just didn't care. Ovy at least tried to change, he at least attempted to buy into the defense first systems that Boudreau and then Hunter instituted. Semin OTOH, was still his enigmatic self, trying at times and disappearing at others.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-09-2012, 09:37 AM
the Pens with another forward that refuses to back check? Sounds like a perfect match! ;D

Semin will never be confused with a potential Selke winner, but he's a better defensive forward than the Interwebz will ever give him credit for.

Ray Finkle
07-09-2012, 09:57 AM

The issue with the Caps lockerroom was and still is a total lack of maturity and a FO that didn't do jack **** to change the culture in the lockerroom. Just another reason why GMGM should have been canned years ago. They preferred to have the guys "grow up together" through the rebuild, and all that did was create a lockerroom full of guys who didn't have to grow up. Matt Bradley and Jason Arnott both pointed that out when they left the Caps, though IIRC, Bradley did say that Semin was the main problem and just didn't care. Ovy at least tried to change, he at least attempted to buy into the defense first systems that Boudreau and then Hunter instituted. Semin OTOH, was still his enigmatic self, trying at times and disappearing at others.

I've heard it both ways. Ovie's locker room status took a major hit when he came into camp out of shape....again.

gyldenlove
07-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Another Dane is moving closer to the NHL. Since Frans Nielsen became the first Danish born and raised player to play in the NHL 6 years ago we now have Jannik Hansen, Lars Eller, Mikkel Bødker, Frans Nielsen, Philip Larsen, Peter Regin playing in the NHL, Niclas Jensen will join them in 2 years and Frederik Andersen was just signed to a 2 year deal 2+way with a cap hit of up 1.8 million per year with the Ducks.

Smiling Assassin27
07-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Another Dane is moving closer to the NHL. Since Frans Nielsen became the first Danish born and raised player to play in the NHL 6 years ago we now have Jannik Hansen, Lars Eller, Mikkel Bødker, Frans Nielsen, Philip Larsen, Peter Regin playing in the NHL, Niclas Jensen will join them in 2 years and Frederik Andersen was just signed to a 2 year deal 2+way with a cap hit of up 1.8 million per year with the Ducks.

Gyld, what do you know about the new F the Wings signed from Switzerland--Brunner? Babcock talked him up as a top 6.

gyldenlove
07-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Gyld, what do you know about the new F the Wings signed from Switzerland--Brunner? Babcock talked him up as a top 6.

Honestly, not much. He was the leading scorer in the Swiss league by some margin last season and has been better than a point per game player for 3 consecutive years. The team he has played for has made the semifinals each of the last 3 years and have lost.

I know the Swiss league in general is considered in the 2nd tier of European leagues along with the German league and the Slovakian league (the top tier is the KHL, the Swedish league, the Finnish league and the Czech league).

I consider him to be a slightly better prospect than Fabian Brunnstrom was, although their situations are very similar - he is very much on the level of a Ville Leino.

I know Babcock has talked him up, but honestly I would be very surprised if he plays ahead of someone like Bertuzzi or Abdelkader and I wouldn't be too surprised to see him play part time in the AHL to get top line minutes. He will definitely not be ready to play a full 82 games on the smaller ice surface this year.

He definitely has talent and could become a 50+ point scorer in the right situation, but I don't expect anything from him this year.

chadta
07-11-2012, 02:38 PM

I bet less GMs in the future will too, after homer did, and both the guys he traded went on to win the cup that very year, the fact that he traded them both to different teams, and for more then market value for them means nothing, everybody will look at it as he traded carter and richards who then went to win the cup.

The rest of the team knows, when the coach says this is a dry month lets call it dry island, lets focus on hockey, the captain cant be the one saying naw, forget it, i wanna go party, Giroux will be better off becasue of it, and it was a big part of why knuble left from what i understand, it will be interesting to see what he has to say about how things turned out in washington.

Baba Booey
07-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Sucks to lose Parise, but I think a healthy Zajac and the progression of youngsters like Henrique, Tedenby, Josefson, and Larsson will help to ease the blow. As a Devils fan, it was a lot worse when Niedermayer left, and I honestly think it hurt to lose Rafalski more than it will hurt to lose Parise.

Plus it doesn't hurt to have this guy:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2vV69EEqcPU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

DivineLegion
07-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Sucks to lose Parise, but I think a healthy Zajac and the progression of youngsters like Henrique, Tedenby, Josefson, and Larsson will help to ease the blow. As a Devils fan, it was a lot worse when Niedermayer left, and I honestly think it hurt to lose Rafalski more than it will hurt to lose Parise.

Plus it doesn't hurt to have this guy:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2vV69EEqcPU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Ah, the bargaining stage of the Kubler-Ross model for the five stages of grief.

gyldenlove
07-12-2012, 10:39 AM
I bet less GMs in the future will too, after homer did, and both the guys he traded went on to win the cup that very year, the fact that he traded them both to different teams, and for more then market value for them means nothing, everybody will look at it as he traded carter and richards who then went to win the cup.

The rest of the team knows, when the coach says this is a dry month lets call it dry island, lets focus on hockey, the captain cant be the one saying naw, forget it, i wanna go party, Giroux will be better off becasue of it, and it was a big part of why knuble left from what i understand, it will be interesting to see what he has to say about how things turned out in washington.

Depends, if the Flyers win several cups with Giroux these deals will be remembered as the ones that launched the Flyers to glory.

I know fans like to think in short term gains, but when you run a succesful team you have to think not just about the season coming up but also about the seasons coming after that - if you don't do that you end up like Toronto with biblical suckage for decades.

Washington is really getting screwed by bad forward depth and lack of leadership. Backstrom and Ovie is a strong duo, but behind them they have had nothing last season especially. Having a 2nd line full of 40 point scorers is not going to cut it in todays NHL unless your goalie is absolutely dominating every game and the Caps do not have a goalie who can do that. They are somewhat like the Ducks of the east, their saving grace is of course that they play a soft divisional schedule in the Southeast (every other division featured at least 1 team with 100+ points or 3+ teams with 90+ points).

chadta
07-14-2012, 10:33 AM
God i hope they sort this out fast

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400580

The NHL has made the first move in labour negotiations with its union.

Two media outlets reported Friday night that the league has made an initial offer to the NHL Players' Association with several major changes to the current collective bargaining agreement.

RDS.ca posted details of the proposal, including a reduction of players' hockey-related revenues from 57 per cent to 46 per cent.

Renaud Lavoie, a journalist with RDS, also reports that players would need to wait 10 seasons before becoming unrestricted free agents and that contracts would be limited to a maximum of five years.

The RDS story also says that the NHL's proposal would bring an end to salary arbitration and that entry-level contracts would be five years instead of three as they are under the current CBA.

Larry Brooks of the New York Post also tweeted that the NHL's proposal would eliminate signing bonuses on future contracts and mandate that all future deals have an equal value for every year of the contract.

"NHL proposal amounts to Declaration of War against NHLPA," added Brooks in a separate tweet.

chadta
07-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Depends, if the Flyers win several cups with Giroux these deals will be remembered as the ones that launched the Flyers to glory.

If Marshall and Cutler go on to win it all with the bears did we still win those trades ? or because we pissed away what we got with it are we the big losers?

gyldenlove
07-14-2012, 09:28 PM
If Marshall and Cutler go on to win it all with the bears did we still win those trades ? or because we pissed away what we got with it are we the big losers?

Depends, if Thomas wins a couple of super bowls in Denver with Osweiler and Manning then no.

There can be more than one winner in a trade - certainly the BJs already seem to have lost the Carter trades but down the road who knows.

gyldenlove
07-14-2012, 09:34 PM
God i hope they sort this out fast

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400580

The NHL has made the first move in labour negotiations with its union.

Two media outlets reported Friday night that the league has made an initial offer to the NHL Players' Association with several major changes to the current collective bargaining agreement.

RDS.ca posted details of the proposal, including a reduction of players' hockey-related revenues from 57 per cent to 46 per cent.

Renaud Lavoie, a journalist with RDS, also reports that players would need to wait 10 seasons before becoming unrestricted free agents and that contracts would be limited to a maximum of five years.

The RDS story also says that the NHL's proposal would bring an end to salary arbitration and that entry-level contracts would be five years instead of three as they are under the current CBA.

Larry Brooks of the New York Post also tweeted that the NHL's proposal would eliminate signing bonuses on future contracts and mandate that all future deals have an equal value for every year of the contract.

"NHL proposal amounts to Declaration of War against NHLPA," added Brooks in a separate tweet.

At least they are not doing what the NFL did and wait until the last week to negotiate - having offers a year before expiry is very good.

I think the NHL will move on the salary cap reduction but I doubt they will go much lower than 15% reduction - that means salary cap will drop by about 10 million. Contract length is interesting because they may have to put in a clause accounting for existing long contracts either by changing the way the salary cap is calculated for those deals or giving teams who do not have long contracts a possibility for some cap relief.

NHL will budge and will have to on the 10 year to UFA demand, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to 6, but not 10.

Entry level contracts are a low impact area, aside from the few top players who produce very early on 3 or 5 year entry level deals make little difference.

Baba Booey
07-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Ah, the bargaining stage of the Kubler-Ross model for the five stages of grief.

Can you imagine where the Devils would be if they didn't have Kovalchuk?

Thought so

chadta
07-15-2012, 05:50 AM
Can you imagine where the Devils would be if they didn't have Kovalchuk?

Thought so

Quebec city.

chadta
07-15-2012, 06:13 AM
At least they are not doing what the NFL did and wait until the last week to negotiate - having offers a year before expiry is very good.

I think the NHL will move on the salary cap reduction but I doubt they will go much lower than 15% reduction - that means salary cap will drop by about 10 million. Contract length is interesting because they may have to put in a clause accounting for existing long contracts either by changing the way the salary cap is calculated for those deals or giving teams who do not have long contracts a possibility for some cap relief.

NHL will budge and will have to on the 10 year to UFA demand, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to 6, but not 10.

Entry level contracts are a low impact area, aside from the few top players who produce very early on 3 or 5 year entry level deals make little difference.

1 The CBA expires this september 15th

2 salary cap, before they agree on what % of Hockey based revenue the players get, they first have to define hockey based revenue, id suspect there is something in there that gets the big market teams a bit more money to keep, which will only further hurt smaller market teams, and teams with crappy fanbases.

NFL players get 48% revenue share, NBA 51% (used to be 57% like the NHL), MLB 52%, pro tennis players 13%. Average players are getting 4 Mill per year, and its just crazy.

3 up until 2004 the UFA age was 31, it was only then that it got moved to 27, so going back to 10 years service, I dont think it such a huge deal, I doubt the players see it this way tho.

4 Entry level deals are huge, can you imagine where pittsburg would be if they had malkinstien and crybaby for 2 extra years cheap ? maybe the flyers dont trade JVR if he isnt making 4.5 million this year becasue of 1 playoff run.

Ultimately the league needs to make rules to protect GM's from themselves, both sides know they can not afford a labour stoppage, id bet there are 6 to 9 teams that would be in serious trouble of folding if there was any sort of disruption. But with Donald Fehr running things, we could be in trouble, he almost killed baseball, and the NHL doesnt have the following that baseball does.

Pendejo
07-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Ultimately the league needs to make rules to protect GM's from themselves, both sides know they can not afford a labour stoppage, id bet there are 6 to 9 teams that would be in serious trouble of folding if there was any sort of disruption. But with Donald Fehr running things, we could be in trouble, he almost killed baseball, and the NHL doesnt have the following that baseball does.

Ten years to wait for free-agency is absurd...indentured servants were able to walk after seven. Six is fair.

Include owners with the gm's, and I agree wholeheartedly. The ink didn't dry on the last CBA before they were throwing money around like never before.

It's of no consequence to anyone but me...but if there is another lockout. Even one day...I'm personally through with the NHL.

gyldenlove
07-15-2012, 10:47 AM
1 The CBA expires this september 15th

2 salary cap, before they agree on what % of Hockey based revenue the players get, they first have to define hockey based revenue, id suspect there is something in there that gets the big market teams a bit more money to keep, which will only further hurt smaller market teams, and teams with crappy fanbases.

NFL players get 48% revenue share, NBA 51% (used to be 57% like the NHL), MLB 52%, pro tennis players 13%. Average players are getting 4 Mill per year, and its just crazy.

3 up until 2004 the UFA age was 31, it was only then that it got moved to 27, so going back to 10 years service, I dont think it such a huge deal, I doubt the players see it this way tho.

4 Entry level deals are huge, can you imagine where pittsburg would be if they had malkinstien and crybaby for 2 extra years cheap ? maybe the flyers dont trade JVR if he isnt making 4.5 million this year becasue of 1 playoff run.

I believe the NHL has the same deal as the NFL did, that they play this season under a set of modified rules agreed upon in the current CBA just like the NFL played 1 year with modified rules. So even with the CBA expired rules are still in place and play should continue.

The NHL doesn't have nearly the same problems with revenue sharing that the NFL does.

With the contract length going to max 5 years, being UFA at 27 or 28 gives you 2 huge contracts, becoming UFA at 31 gives you only 1 big contract. Ultimately this could make a difference of up to 30 million for players becoming UFAs. Don't ignore how big an impact the Parise and Suter deals will have - if Weber suddenly finds out he is going to be RFA for the next 4 seasons and have to play under what is most likely 1 year deals at around 7 million a pop when Suter (who by all accounts is an inferior player is making double digits on a 13 year deal). The age to become UFA is a HUGE deal for the players now that they have tasted those big contracts.

How many players perform well above their entry level deal in the NFL? Erik Karlson, Logan Couture, Eberle and a couple of rookies. Extending to 5 years means more people will outperform their deals in 1 or more seasons but it is still far fewer than the number of people who will get caught having to play 4 more RFA years.

chadta
07-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I believe the NHL has the same deal as the NFL did, that they play this season under a set of modified rules agreed upon in the current CBA just like the NFL played 1 year with modified rules. So even with the CBA expired rules are still in place and play should continue.

The NHL doesn't have nearly the same problems with revenue sharing that the NFL does.

With the contract length going to max 5 years, being UFA at 27 or 28 gives you 2 huge contracts, becoming UFA at 31 gives you only 1 big contract. Ultimately this could make a difference of up to 30 million for players becoming UFAs. Don't ignore how big an impact the Parise and Suter deals will have - if Weber suddenly finds out he is going to be RFA for the next 4 seasons and have to play under what is most likely 1 year deals at around 7 million a pop when Suter (who by all accounts is an inferior player is making double digits on a 13 year deal). The age to become UFA is a HUGE deal for the players now that they have tasted those big contracts.

How many players perform well above their entry level deal in the NFL? Erik Karlson, Logan Couture, Eberle and a couple of rookies. Extending to 5 years means more people will outperform their deals in 1 or more seasons but it is still far fewer than the number of people who will get caught having to play 4 more RFA years.

last year was that year http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=532367

as for the revenue sharing, its problem is much worse, they dont have the big tv deal that is league money that gets shared, they share gate revenue, so places like Toronto that charge on average 125 bucks a ticket send a portion of that to hockey hotbeds like phoenix where for 49.99 you get 2 tickets, a hat, a hotdog, a beer, a program, and to drop the opening face off.

i dont see contract length as an issue as players just wont sign a 5 year deal when they are 1 year away from UFA

If weber was smart he would be demanding a trade or an extension NOW before new rules come in. That goes for any of next years UFA crop, if they know it wont be as player friendly, its dumb to sit and wait.

gyldenlove
07-15-2012, 07:09 PM
last year was that year http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=532367

as for the revenue sharing, its problem is much worse, they dont have the big tv deal that is league money that gets shared, they share gate revenue, so places like Toronto that charge on average 125 bucks a ticket send a portion of that to hockey hotbeds like phoenix where for 49.99 you get 2 tickets, a hat, a hotdog, a beer, a program, and to drop the opening face off.

i dont see contract length as an issue as players just wont sign a 5 year deal when they are 1 year away from UFA

If weber was smart he would be demanding a trade or an extension NOW before new rules come in. That goes for any of next years UFA crop, if they know it wont be as player friendly, its dumb to sit and wait.

Very few teams quality for revenue sharing which is why it is not much of a problem. In the NFL there is a pot that all teams pay into depending on their own revenues and that pot is doled out equally to all teams, so some teams pay a lot more than they get back (like Redskins, Cowboys, Patriots, Giants), and some get a lot more than they pay like Jaguards, Colts, Bills, Vikings, Chargers.

In the NHL only a few teams quality since you need to be in the bottom 15 of the league in revenue (cuts off half the league) you must have no more than 2.5 million homes in your market (cuts off Islanders, Anaheim etc), must have average attendance lower than 14000 a year and must have growth ahead of the league average (so only small market teams with poor attendance but massive annual growth qualify).

chadta
07-16-2012, 05:03 AM
Very few teams quality for revenue sharing which is why it is not much of a problem. In the NFL there is a pot that all teams pay into depending on their own revenues and that pot is doled out equally to all teams, so some teams pay a lot more than they get back (like Redskins, Cowboys, Patriots, Giants), and some get a lot more than they pay like Jaguards, Colts, Bills, Vikings, Chargers.

In the NHL only a few teams quality since you need to be in the bottom 15 of the league in revenue (cuts off half the league) you must have no more than 2.5 million homes in your market (cuts off Islanders, Anaheim etc), must have average attendance lower than 14000 a year and must have growth ahead of the league average (so only small market teams with poor attendance but massive annual growth qualify).

But they dont get cut off, first it goes to 66%, then 50%, and it takes 3 years of losing fans to get cut off, it also does nothing to stop teams from buying their own tickets just to reach the minimum.

Its a big problem for about half the league, the top 10 that doesnt want to keep paying it, and the bottom 10 that doesnt want it to stop, only teams 10-20 really arent effected by it.

Its all relative tho, 10 million to an NFL owner is not a huge % of revenue, where as 10 million from the Leafs is over 6 %, and by giving that 10 million to the yotes you have just given them closer to 12% of the money they get.

According to Forbes 18 teams had negative income last year

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

gyldenlove
07-16-2012, 07:58 AM
But they dont get cut off, first it goes to 66%, then 50%, and it takes 3 years of losing fans to get cut off, it also does nothing to stop teams from buying their own tickets just to reach the minimum.

Its a big problem for about half the league, the top 10 that doesnt want to keep paying it, and the bottom 10 that doesnt want it to stop, only teams 10-20 really arent effected by it.

Its all relative tho, 10 million to an NFL owner is not a huge % of revenue, where as 10 million from the Leafs is over 6 %, and by giving that 10 million to the yotes you have just given them closer to 12% of the money they get.

According to Forbes 18 teams had negative income last year

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

The bigger problem for the Leafs and other money making franchises is that the NHL has been pouring so much money into owning the Coyotes for a couple of years and running the Stars for a year and the soon to be bankrupt Devils.

If they don't want to contract and get rid of Phoenix and either Florida or Nashville and move the Stars out of Dallas they are going to be saddled with paying some bills.

Pendejo
07-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Dominik Hasek is looking to play again. Apparently he wants a multi-year deal.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/19596020/dominik-hasek-still-hoping-for-nhl-return-im-very-motivated

gyldenlove
07-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Dominik Hasek is looking to play again. Apparently he wants a multi-year deal.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/19596020/dominik-hasek-still-hoping-for-nhl-return-im-very-motivated

The only game he will play this year will be the alumni game between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs at the winter classic.

chadta
07-16-2012, 06:41 PM
It's Eklund, but: the bidding for Shea Webber starts at the following

two top-6 forward
one top-4 dman
two blue-chip prospects
and two 1st round picks

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Are-we-looking-at-a-the-first-MAX-D-man--Is-a-deadline-for-trade-coming/1/45626

if thats the case, i want to stay farther away from this than i did from parise and his 100 million dollar deal.

gyldenlove
07-16-2012, 06:48 PM

two top-6 forward
one top-4 dman
two blue-chip prospects
and two 1st round picks

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Are-we-looking-at-a-the-first-MAX-D-man--Is-a-deadline-for-trade-coming/1/45626

if thats the case, i want to stay farther away from this than i did from parise and his 100 million dollar deal.

Has he been close to getting anything right this offseason?

chadta
07-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Has he been close to getting anything right this offseason?

hes been right about as often as socal has been with the pens getting everybody

but that is a huge amount to ask

Broncos_OTM
07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
hockey lost me last time. I came back. the game was different.. if they leave again. you can be assured I'll be trying to watch. the new Denver cutthroats or maybe getting the KHL NETWORK hhe

SoCalBronco
07-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Weber should just re-sign in Nashville, regardless of whether he wants to be there. Right now, they'd give him anything he wanted. 10 years, 105 million? Probably done. With the new CBA, salaries will likely shrink...maybe considerably. Lock up your mega-millions now. They'll probably have to grandfather in these long term deals and there will be possibly 5-6 year limits on contracts.

100m > Playing where you want for 60m.

chadta
07-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Weber should just re-sign in Nashville, regardless of whether he wants to be there. Right now, they'd give him anything he wanted. 10 years, 105 million? Probably done. With the new CBA, salaries will likely shrink...maybe considerably. Lock up your mega-millions now. They'll probably have to grandfather in these long term deals and there will be possibly 5-6 year limits on contracts.

100m > Playing where you want for 60m.

I agree, anybody thats UFA next year should be trying to get something down now, who knows what the next CBA will include

Beantown Bronco
07-17-2012, 07:49 AM

two top-6 forward
one top-4 dman
two blue-chip prospects
and two 1st round picks

Nobody in the league is worth that.

SoCalBronco
07-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Dreger says Weber signed 14 year 100+ million offer sheet with Flyers.

It would seem obvious that Nashville will match to prevent him from leaving.

Aftermath
07-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Either way he aint going to Pitt so suck it haha. Im not sure Nash matches, he doesnt want to be there, especially for 14 years.

SoCalBronco
07-18-2012, 11:49 PM
Either way he aint going to Pitt so suck it haha. Im not sure Nash matches, he doesnt want to be there, especially for 14 years.

It doesnt matter whether he wants to be there, without Weber, the Preds franchise would collapse into a complete mess. That's more important than the 4 firsts Philly would have to give up.

Actually the Preds could match and then still trade him elsewhere if he really lets the FO know he doesnt want to be there, at least at that point, the team that trades for him wouldn't have to worry about the 1 year rental problem, so it would make the trade even more valuable for Nashville in terms of compensation.

24champ
07-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Dreger says Weber signed 14 year 100+ million offer sheet with Flyers.

It would seem obvious that Nashville will match to prevent him from leaving.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m52m4x3iRl1rw4yfko1_250.gif

@DarrenDreger
Its going to be fascinating to see financial terms of Weber's offer sheet. Hearing in one calendar year, he could make $26 mil.

Wow.

SoCalBronco
07-19-2012, 12:30 AM
How bout you do something, Ray?

Just give Semin the 2nd year already. I've got my concerns about him, but right now we are worse than last year and other people are getting better. Can't wait forever for Doan, just get it done, I'm willing to assume the risk at this point so long as the term is no longer than 2 years.

chadta
07-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Wow.

thats the 26 million dollar poison pill

nashville cant afford 26 mill upfront to one player, no matter how much they want to, the question becomes do they work out a trade or does nashville take the 4 firsts.

Smart move doing it now before the new CBA, for both the flyers and webber.

is it next week yet ?

Ray Finkle
07-19-2012, 06:01 AM
How bout you do something, Ray?

Just give Semin the 2nd year already. I've got my concerns about him, but right now we are worse than last year and other people are getting better. Can't wait forever for Doan, just get it done, I'm willing to assume the risk at this point so long as the term is no longer than 2 years.

So, let Semen drag down the Pens....thank you very much!

Baba Booey
07-19-2012, 06:48 AM
I'd love Semin on the Devils, but if not, whatever.

Even without Parise, the Devils are better now than they were on 7/19/11.

-Best fourth line in hockey
-Adam Henrique
-Adam Larsson
-Healthy Zajac
-Zidlicky

We had Peter Harrold playing wing at one point last year, for Christ's sake.

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2012, 07:05 AM
I'd love Semin on the Devils, but if not, whatever.

Even without Parise, the Devils are better now than they were on 7/19/11.

-Best fourth line in hockey

Not even close.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1057015-nhl-power-rankings-the-best-and-worst-fourth-lines-in-hockey#/articles/1057015-nhl-power-rankings-the-best-and-worst-fourth-lines-in-hockey/page/31

Those guys have you 20th. Granted that was before the nice run they had in the playoffs, but still. There's no way I'd put the Devils 4th line in the top 5.

gyldenlove
07-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Not even close.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1057015-nhl-power-rankings-the-best-and-worst-fourth-lines-in-hockey#/articles/1057015-nhl-power-rankings-the-best-and-worst-fourth-lines-in-hockey/page/31

Those guys have you 20th. Granted that was before the nice run they had in the playoffs, but still. There's no way I'd put the Devils 4th line in the top 5.

Evaluating 4th lines is really tricky, some teams balance their 3rd and 4th lines quite well while others pack away their specialists on a 4th unit that never plays 5 on 5.

gyldenlove
07-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Shea Weber has reportedly agreed to a 14 years 100 million$ offersheet from Philadelphia, if true we will wait and see if Nashville matches or if they prefer to take the 4 1st round picks instead.

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Shea Weber has reportedly agreed to a 14 years 100 million$ offersheet from Philadelphia, if true we will wait and see if Nashville matches or if they prefer to take the 4 1st round picks instead.

Welcome to page 64 :poke:

:)

gyldenlove
07-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Welcome to page 64 :poke:

:)

I don't read back pages!

Hercules Rockefeller
07-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Actually the Preds could match and then still trade him elsewhere if he really lets the FO know he doesnt want to be there, at least at that point, the team that trades for him wouldn't have to worry about the 1 year rental problem, so it would make the trade even more valuable for Nashville in terms of compensation.

If Nashville decides to match, they cannot trade him for 1 calendar year. He's either playing in Nashville or Philly next year.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Webber's contract breakdown (pulled this off of HF)

According to Kypreos:

2012-13 (age 27): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2013-14 (28): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2014-15 (29): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2015-16 (30): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2016-17 (31): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
2017-18 (32): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
2018-19 (33): $6 million salary
2019-20 (34): $6 million salary
2020-21 (35): $6 million salary
2021-22 (36): $6 million salary
2022-23 (37): $3 million salary
2023-24 (38): $1 million salary
2024-25 (39): $1 million salary
2025-26 (40): $1 million salary
TOTAL: $110 million

Ray Finkle
07-19-2012, 09:02 AM

According to Kypreos:

2012-13 (age 27): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2013-14 (28): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2014-15 (29): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2015-16 (30): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)

I can't see a way the NHL allows this to go through.

24champ
07-19-2012, 09:37 AM
I can't see a way the NHL allows this to go through.

It'll go through, it isn't outrageous like the rejected Kovy contract that had Kovy playing till he was 44.

At any rate, I expect the Predators to match. They were prepared to offer big contracts to Suter, Parise, and Weber this off season.

Ray Finkle
07-19-2012, 09:45 AM
It'll go through, it isn't outrageous like the rejected Kovy contract that had Kovy playing till he was 44.

At any rate, I expect the Predators to match. They were prepared to offer big contracts to Suter, Parise, and Weber this off season.

I still think you'll see the NHL do something. It makes more sense for the Preds to match (they have the space) than not. Of course, if they don't, I am sure you will see teams poach the Flyers RFA's over the next few years.

gyldenlove
07-19-2012, 10:12 AM
I still think you'll see the NHL do something. It makes more sense for the Preds to match (they have the space) than not. Of course, if they don't, I am sure you will see teams poach the Flyers RFA's over the next few years.

If Nashville doesn't match they will be prime candidates to be moved or go into bankruptcy within 24 months.

24champ
07-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown
Weber: "I signed long-term with the Flyers because I want to win a Cup, and this seems like the easiest way to wind up doing that in LA."

Hilarious!

Hercules Rockefeller
07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
That's awesome

Ray Finkle
07-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Hilarious!

BUT BUT BUT, it was a great trade for the Flyers too....bleh.

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2012, 11:59 AM
This one gave me a chuckle.

http://deadspin.com/5927376/today-in-insanely-homophobic-statements-from-small+town-sports-columnists

Baba Booey
07-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Not even close.

That article you cited is way outdated (not to mention from bleacher report). We're talking about two completely different lines.

Boulton was just bought out by the Devils and recently signed with the Islanders.

Josefson is now penciled in as the third line center.

Mills is a minor-league plug that was only called up for a handful of games.

The fourth line I was referring to, the one that was a monumental part in the Devils' playoff run, is Ryan Carter-Stephen Gionta-Steve Bernier. They combined for 21 points in 24 playoff games while setting the bar for the Devils' forechecking.

All three have been resigned. If its not the best fourth line in the league, it's damn close. Boston's is terrific as well.

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2012, 01:12 PM
The fourth line I was referring to, the one that was a monumental part in the Devils' playoff run, is Ryan Carter-Stephen Gionta-Steve Bernier. They combined for 21 points in 24 playoff games while setting the bar for the Devils' forechecking.

All three have been resigned. If its not the best fourth line in the league, it's damn close. Boston's is terrific as well.

I just don't see it. They obviously had a great playoff run, but I'd like to see a tad bit more before I crown them. I like Bernier a lot (aside from that game 6 gaffe that cost them the game and possibly series), but Carter's nothing special IMO, and it's way too early to judge Gionta.

SoCalBronco
07-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Dreger says Nashville is asking for couturier schenn and something else from Philly or they will match

Baba Booey
07-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I just don't see it. They obviously had a great playoff run, but I'd like to see a tad bit more before I crown them. I like Bernier a lot (aside from that game 6 gaffe that cost them the game and possibly series), but Carter's nothing special IMO, and it's way too early to judge Gionta.

Carter and Bernier were great in their roles since the Devils brought them up (Carter around Christmas, Bernier after the new year). And Gionta is fine for what they need from him. Essentially his brother without the hands.

Ray Finkle
07-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Dreger says Nashville is asking for couturier schenn and something else from Philly or they will match

That's better than 4 last 1st....

chadta
07-19-2012, 02:57 PM

Thats not how it works

If webber leaves it will be for 4 firsts, the only way to get those picks back is in a separate transaction, which may be agreed to ahead of time, webber can not be traded now.

also 27 mil of the contract being due in the first 12 months, which is the time that nashville cant trade him after making an offer sheet, and nashville having 3 of the top 4 scorers due for free agency next year its either weber or half the team.

Its cute seeing the devils fan talking about how much better the fourth line is tho LOL,

Baba Booey
07-19-2012, 03:06 PM
The Rangers wanted Weber but he told them "no thanks" haha

Aftermath
07-19-2012, 04:50 PM
BUT BUT BUT, it was a great trade for the Flyers too....bleh.

Actually it was better for the Flyers fans. But your too big of a dumbass to realize that. You probably think Terry Bradshaw is one of the best QBs bc he has so many Super Bowl rings. It doesn't matter that LA won the Stanley cup, it wasn't going to happen with those 2 on Phllly, and Philly didn't trade both of them to LA. I know you just made that post bc your butthurt that your team can't do what Philly does, but your still a stupid mfer.

Aftermath
07-19-2012, 04:55 PM

My guess is Nashville agrees not to match, as long as Philly sends some pieces to them for their 1st round picks back(not all of them). And hopefully it's not Couturier going back, I can't seen them trading one of the Schenns because Luke was Webers roommate and they just united the Schenn's together. As a matter of fact I don't think Nashville can even afford to match, unless they want to pay 26million for one year and then trade him for better pieces than what Philly will give.

Aftermath
07-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Philly won't let them get to that point. My god your a hater, lol I love it.

SoCalBronco
07-22-2012, 08:11 PM
http://cdn.25stanley.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mariage-fleury-593x900.jpg

Congrats to Flower on his wedding.

P.S. This means no more "MAF is a shemale" comments from you, Finkle. :)

Aftermath
07-23-2012, 01:10 AM
I cannot wait any longer, I need to know whats going to happen. I will buy an authentic Weber jersey the minute hes a Flyer if it happens.

chadta
07-23-2012, 04:52 AM

yeah because tom cruise being never staged a marriage to make people think hes not gay either.

Ray Finkle
07-23-2012, 05:48 AM

Let's review some following facts.

John Travolta "is" married
Rock Hudson "was" married

Jamie Lee Curtis "may" have man parts....

It's called a beard, Sid's size queen buddy is only hiding....

Ray Finkle
07-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Philly won't let them get to that point. My god your a hater, lol I love it.

Let's take a look at the Cap space the Flyers commit with Weber...

Now, with that available space and several RFA's coming in the next year or so, you don't think teams will take advantage of it?

Hater my ass. Neil Smith was pretty much blackballed for the Sakic offer. The Flyers have done it twice in the last decade (Gratton and now Weber) and no one bats an eye?

Baba Booey
07-23-2012, 06:30 AM
*obligatory Atlantic Division rival gay joke*

bases055
07-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Whatever happened to redwingssuck.com...I miss that site

SoCalBronco
07-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Rags trade anisimov Ericson dubinsky and a 1st for Nash...thoughts finkle

Ray Finkle
07-23-2012, 01:33 PM

BBBUUHHWWWWAHAAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

they trade 2 3rd liners, a potential top 2 D, and a 1st for Nash.

Wow did someone get bent over the barrel. As I said before, you don't trade players with Sather....

chadta
07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Let's take a look at the Cap space the Flyers commit with Weber...

Now, with that available space and several RFA's coming in the next year or so, you don't think teams will take advantage of it?

Hater my ass. Neil Smith was pretty much blackballed for the Sakic offer. The Flyers have done it twice in the last decade (Gratton and now Weber) and no one bats an eye?

you mean the same cap space that will be coming off the books when timonen is done ?

and then briere after that ?

for the first time in a long long time, i am actually pretty happy with the ages of the players, we always seemed to be all old or all young, i think we have a good mix, and as older players contracts run out we will have the younger players take over the cash

Smiling Assassin27
07-23-2012, 02:57 PM
BBBUUHHWWWWAHAAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

they trade 2 3rd liners, a potential top 2 D, and a 1st for Nash.

Wow did someone get bent over the barrel. As I said before, you don't trade players with Sather....

Hell, Kenny Holland has a buttload of 3rd liners and a potential top 2 in Ericsson or Quincey. Wake the f up, Kenny!

24champ
07-24-2012, 12:41 AM

Howson is a goddamn moron. :giggle:

Ray Finkle
07-24-2012, 06:05 AM
Howson is a goddamn moron. :giggle:

That and the one thing Sather makes people look stupid in is trades. Since he's taken over the Rangers, he's usually always made great deals.

Baba Booey
07-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Nash has had over 70 points once in his career.

Yawn.

Ray Finkle
07-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Nash has had over 70 points once in his career.

Yawn.

1. He played on a crappy team with no complimentary scorers.
2. Who was one of the go to players when Canada won the World Cup?

Baba Booey
07-24-2012, 08:09 AM
1. He played on a crappy team with no complimentary scorers.
2. Who was one of the go to players when Canada won the World Cup?

1. Kovalchuk scored 40+ goals (and 50+ twice) on godawful Atlanta teams.
2. One tournament on the most talented national team in the world (not to mention eight years ago).

I'm just busting your balls though. Nash is quite a talent and the Rangers gave away pieces they won't miss one bit (except maybe the pick, which will probably be in the 20's anyway).

Still don't think he's in the elite class of players though.

Ray Finkle
07-24-2012, 08:34 AM
1. Kovalchuk scored 40+ goals (and 50+ twice) on godawful Atlanta teams.
2. One tournament on the most talented national team in the world (not to mention eight years ago).

I'm just busting your balls though. Nash is quite a talent and the Rangers gave away pieces they won't miss one bit (except maybe the pick, which will probably be in the 20's anyway).

Still don't think he's in the elite class of players though.

Kovy had Hossa, Heatley (sp?), and some good support players.

Nash has had crap to work with. For the price they paid, it was a steal. Although I do miss Dubi.

bronco militia
07-24-2012, 09:07 AM
great trade for the Rangers, but I agree on Nash being 'mehh'....

now the BJ's have nothing

bronco militia
07-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Hell, Kenny Holland has a buttload of 3rd liners and a potential top 2 in Ericsson or Quincey. Wake the f up, Kenny!

it's a terrible trade for the BJ's, but could you imagine the outrage if it had been done with the Redwings?

SoCalBronco
07-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Kovy had Hossa, Heatley (sp?), and some good support players.

Nash has had crap to work with. For the price they paid, it was a steal. Although I do miss Dubi.

Dubi man love

Smiling Assassin27
07-24-2012, 01:13 PM
it's a terrible trade for the BJ's, but could you imagine the outrage if it had been done with the Redwings?

i guess it'd depend on what the wings gave 'em, but yes, i can see the division rival thing.

Smiling Assassin27
07-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Preds match offer to Weber. Philly gets zilch.

SoCalBronco
07-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Awesome. But I hear they plan to keep being aggressive this off season.

Ray Finkle
07-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Preds match.....

BAAWWAAWAWAWAWWA!

Philly signs Weber to an offer sheet, taking away one place for Nash to go. NYR get Nash on the cheap and Preds match!

Everything is coming up Milhouse!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t7z192I-mQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SoCalBronco
07-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Philly might have to overpay to get Ryan now

SoCalBronco
07-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Btw shero if u r even paying attention u better sign semin now cause Philly might make a huge offer

chadta
07-24-2012, 03:20 PM

im not sure that they have to overpay now, not sure how ryan fills the need of a right handed D man to replace pronger.

not sure id be upset if there was a lockout this year, and nashville had to pay the 26 mil in signing bonus without the luxury of any income.

I saw somebody had mentioned that this will be equally as crippling to the preds as the rangers offer sheet to sakic was

BroncosSR
07-24-2012, 07:45 PM

Not going to overpay for Ryan. Since Homer wasn't willing to part with the pieces he has right now for Weber, I don't see him giving them up for Ryan. And like Chadta says, it's the blue line that needs help.

SoCalBronco
07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
I didn't know it was a lock that pronger would not return.

Ray Finkle
07-25-2012, 12:11 PM
I didn't know it was a lock that pronger would not return.

He's been out a long time with a concussion, age and his physical play would indicate he's probably done.

I've always liked Pronger, the league will miss him (although I'm glad he the Rangers won't have to see him).

gyldenlove
07-25-2012, 01:56 PM
im not sure that they have to overpay now, not sure how ryan fills the need of a right handed D man to replace pronger.

not sure id be upset if there was a lockout this year, and nashville had to pay the 26 mil in signing bonus without the luxury of any income.

I saw somebody had mentioned that this will be equally as crippling to the preds as the rangers offer sheet to sakic was

The Preds had to match, if they lost both Suter and Weber their thin fan base would jump ship in a heartbeat and leave the team in the same financial mess as the Coyotes and Stars.

chadta
07-25-2012, 03:20 PM
He's been out a long time with a concussion, age and his physical play would indicate he's probably done.

I've always liked Pronger, the league will miss him (although I'm glad he the Rangers won't have to see him).

He sold his house, or is trying to sell it in philly, and has moved back to st louis, i think the only reason he even pretends to be trying to make a comeback is becasue of the contract mess up that resulted in his contract being an over 35, he cant retire or the cap hit counts.

Still pissed that it was a friggin leaf with a highstick that has done this to him.

Ray Finkle
07-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Btw shero if u r even paying attention u better sign semin now cause Philly might make a huge offer

Semen's on the Canes!

SoCalBronco
07-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Semen's on the Canes!

YEAH I just saw that. That depresses me a little bit. I was initially against acquriing him but the thoughts of him playing with Sid got to me. I see it is only a 1 year deal. I wonder if CAR gave him the 7m he wanted. Man, we're not getting anyone right now. Shero better have a decent plan in mind to acquire a good winger for Sid. I'm going to scream if Tyler Kennedy or Tangradi are getting top six minutes. That's not the answer, they need to get a legitimate player.

Aftermath
07-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Preds match.....

BAAWWAAWAWAWAWWA!

Philly signs Weber to an offer sheet, taking away one place for Nash to go. NYR get Nash on the cheap and Preds match!

Everything is coming up Milhouse!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t7z192I-mQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ya but Id much rather pay 8 million for the top dman in the league, i love the fact you guys are paying 8 million for a 60 point forward.

Ray Finkle
07-26-2012, 01:58 PM
YEAH I just saw that. That depresses me a little bit. I was initially against acquriing him but the thoughts of him playing with Sid got to me. I see it is only a 1 year deal. I wonder if CAR gave him the 7m he wanted. Man, we're not getting anyone right now. Shero better have a decent plan in mind to acquire a good winger for Sid. I'm going to scream if Tyler Kennedy or Tangradi are getting top six minutes. That's not the answer, they need to get a legitimate player.

won't be Doan!

There is always Dominic Moore!

Ray Finkle
07-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Ya but Id much rather pay 8 million for the top dman in the league, i love the fact you guys are paying 8 million for a 60 point forward.

you weren't paying 8 million...

and you say I am a hater?

SoCalBronco
07-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Yeah I know Doan isn't coming. Heard its either MTL or Rags if he leaves PHX. They need to pull off another trade like they did to get James Neal. Semin would have been easier...considering no assets would need to be given up. I'm starting to get pissed with Shero. He's sitting holding his dick too much this offseason after he lost on Parise.

gyldenlove
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Semin signed with Carolina, 1 year 7 million.

Interesting, presumably he will play with Staalx2 or maybe with Skinner on the 2nd line.

Carolina looks serious about contending again.

SoCalBronco
07-26-2012, 02:50 PM
The only positive about Shero missing out on yet another winger is I won't have to hear Bob Errey saying "Semin looks smoother than Palmolive out there, Steigy" on the Penguins broadcasts.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2012, 02:57 PM

Interesting, presumably he will play with Staalx2 or maybe with Skinner on the 2nd line.

$7mil...ROFL!

chadta
07-26-2012, 03:38 PM
you weren't paying 8 million...

and you say I am a hater?

According to Kypreos:

110 / 14 = 7.85 thats pretty damn close to 8 to me, remember philly isnt a piss poor team like nashville that actually has to watch actual dollars paid, they only care about the cap hit.

BTW Vorachek resigned today apparently, i expect more moves to be made since the webber thing didnt work out.

Ray Finkle
07-26-2012, 04:23 PM
110 / 14 = 7.85 thats pretty damn close to 8 to me, remember philly isnt a piss poor team like nashville that actually has to watch actual dollars paid, they only care about the cap hit.

BTW Vorachek resigned today apparently, i expect more moves to be made since the webber thing didnt work out.

That's the average over time, 26 mil in the first year is lunacy. Dan Boyle is probably heading to Philly.

chadta
07-26-2012, 05:33 PM
That's the average over time, 26 mil in the first year is lunacy. Dan Boyle is probably heading to Philly.

like i said, actual salary is of no concern, all that matters is the cap hit, and the cap hit is 7.85

gyldenlove
07-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Next years free agency should be very interesting, a LOT of expiring contracts this season around the league.

DivineLegion
07-26-2012, 07:21 PM

I think they are going to split the Staal brothers up.

Tlusty Staal Rutuu

Semin Staal Skinner

Dwyer Jokinen LaRose

Dalpe Brent Nodle

--or--

Staal Staal Tlusty

Skinner Jokinen Semin

Dalpe Rutuu Dwyer

Nodle Brent LaRose

This signing gives the Canes TONS of potential, and even frees up a few players to make a trade. Muller wants an enforcer, and we need another blue liner.

gyldenlove
07-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I think they are going to split the Staal brothers up.

Tlusty Staal Rutuu

Semin Staal Skinner

Dwyer Jokinen LaRose

Dalpe Brent Nodle

--or--

Staal Staal Tlusty

Skinner Jokinen Semin

Dalpe Rutuu Dwyer

Nodle Brent LaRose

This signing gives the Canes TONS of potential, and even frees up a few players to make a trade. Muller wants an enforcer, and we need another blue liner.

Possibly:

Semin - E. Staal - Jokinen
Skinner - J. Staal - Ruutu
Tlusty - Brent - Larose
Stewart - Dalpe - Dwyer

DivineLegion
07-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Possibly:

Semin - E. Staal - Jokinen
Skinner - J. Staal - Ruutu
Tlusty - Brent - Larose
Stewart - Dalpe - Dwyer

Tlusty had great chemistry with Eric last season, and was actually one of the big reasons for Staals turnaround. I think it would be wise to keep those two together for at least the first four weeks of the season. the Canes have two epic road trips to start the season, so they need to draw on as much of last seasons late success as they can. That's one big reason Jim resigned Corvo, they really like Tim Gleason with Joe.

gyldenlove
07-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Tlusty had great chemistry with Eric last season, and was actually one of the big reasons for Staals turnaround. I think it would be wise to keep those two together for at least the first four weeks of the season. the Canes have two epic road trips to start the season, so they need to draw on as much of last seasons late success as they can. That's one big reason Jim resigned Corvo, they really like Tim Gleason with Joe.

I think right now Staalx2, Semin and Skinner are locks for the top 6. Ruutu is on nearly 5 million a year, and that is a lot to be paying for a 3rd line player, that leaves Tlusty and Jokinen to fight it out for a winger spot and Jokinen has in every season (except 08-09 when he was traded) he has played at least 70 games had more than the 36 points Tlusty put up last year in 79 games - you just don't put a guy who is scoring less .5 point per game on the first line.

DivineLegion
07-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I think right now Staalx2, Semin and Skinner are locks for the top 6. Ruutu is on nearly 5 million a year, and that is a lot to be paying for a 3rd line player, that leaves Tlusty and Jokinen to fight it out for a winger spot and Jokinen has in every season (except 08-09 when he was traded) he has played at least 70 games had more than the 36 points Tlusty put up last year in 79 games - you just don't put a guy who is scoring less .5 point per game on the first line.

I don't disagree with your conventional Hockey wisdom, however this is the Carolina Hurricanes there is no such thing as conventional hockey wisdom. Jim Rutheford is a great GM, but has never had the finances to build a full roster. He was given that freedom this offseason when Peter Karmanos sold 49% of the team. That being said the Carolina Hurricanes have almost always worked lesser talented players into their top 6.

Tlusty is a second year player that was drafted in the first round by the Toronto Maple Leafs, last season he showed why he was picked in the top 15 of that draft. He has great potential, and its starting to shine.

Jokinen and Rutuu both can play center, and the Canes need someone to step up and fill the void left by Brandon Sutter. We have a kid that the coaching staff is raging about named Jeremy Welsh. He's going to get his shot, but I'm not 100% comfortable beliving that he's going to work out in his first stint. The best possible option is to let Jokinen, who is by far our most defensively responsible forward, to center the third line.

chadta
08-12-2012, 06:49 AM
So with the upcoming lockout, do we continue using this hockey thread or start a new one for the none season.

SoCalBronco
08-12-2012, 12:55 PM
So with the upcoming lockout, do we continue using this hockey thread or start a new one for the none season.

Thanks for the reminder, dude. I'm going to start a General NHL Hockey Thread 2012-2013 soon (or maybe we'll call it, General NHL Atlantic Division discussion thread 2012-2013). :)

Beantown Bronco
08-12-2012, 04:32 PM
I really don't know what I'm going to do if there's a lockout. I might actually have to pay attention to my family this winter.

SoCalBronco
08-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Seems like Wings and Flyers trying to get J-Bo....not sure why, he's massively overrated.

chadta
08-12-2012, 05:36 PM
GOd i hope not

altho with Mez being gone for the year, and now lilja being out for a few months, losing out on weber, i figured they would do something, i just pray thats not it.

Beantown Bronco
08-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Beantown is not pleased with the lack of urgency here.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/2012/08/24/after-brief-meeting-nhl-sides-still-not-close/qCExvPf6XdfxGFxDfytOGL/story.html

gyldenlove
08-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Beantown is not pleased with the lack of urgency here.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/2012/08/24/after-brief-meeting-nhl-sides-still-not-close/qCExvPf6XdfxGFxDfytOGL/story.html

The only reason they recovered relatively quickly last time was the escalating economy and the up tempo rule changes to go along with some new interesting faces that really energized hockey in a few markets.

There are no new Crosbys, Malkins or Ovechkins, there will be no major rule changes that will boost offense and the economy is not nearly as strong as it was before - a lockout could really hurt the NHL big time.