PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs has died (M)

gunns
10-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Just reported on CBS news

DenverBrit
Apparently, Apple have confirmed his death. Breaking news banners, but no story yet.

maven
per tv

luv my apple products btw.

gunns
10-05-2011, 05:49 PM
We must have been posting at the same time. Pancreatic cancer.

DenverBrit
Apple says Steve Jobs has died

CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) -- Apple says the company's co-founder Steve Jobs has died. He was 56. In a brief statement the company said Jobs died Wednesday. He had been battling pancreatic cancer.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_APPLE_JOBS?SITE=MABED&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Archer81
3 threads in 20 seconds...impressive.

RIP, Steve.

:Broncos:

DenverBrit
10-05-2011, 05:50 PM
We must have been posting at the same time.

I just saw the banner.

maven
10-05-2011, 05:51 PM
yep, looks like gunns was first. RIP

Popps
10-05-2011, 05:53 PM
This is tough news. Long-time Apple-head. Their technology has made a massive, positive impact on my life. (Business and private.)

Time marches on. R.I.P Steve. Thanks for everything.

maven
10-05-2011, 05:53 PM
http://celebjunkyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/stevejobs-e1314419504647.png

When this pic was released, I knew he didn't have much time.

TheReverend
10-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Always sucks to lose a bright mind.

DenverBrit
10-05-2011, 05:59 PM
http://celebjunkyz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/stevejobs-e1314419504647.png

When this pic was released, I knew he didn't have much time.

When I first saw that pic, I thought it a fake. Sadly not. :(

SonOfLe-loLang
10-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Just goes to show you the power of mother nature. He was arguably the most innovative mind on the planet and one of the richest. Cancer f'n blows.

That One Guy
10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Wow... that pic is telling. When the money he had couldn't stop it, the rest of us don't have a chance.

Dagmar
10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
No Jobs, no Pixar.

http://e-bergi.com/2008/Ocak/resim/sj2.jpg

"We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today. Steve’s brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve. His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts. "

Archer81
10-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Wow... that pic is telling. When the money he had couldn't stop it, the rest of us don't have a chance.

The amount of money you have has little to do with it. Surviving cancer is like a boxing match, it wins some rounds, you win some rounds. The point is to live long enough for doctors to come up with something to help you in the next round.

Sometimes though there are no more rounds, which completely and utterly sucks.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
The amount of money you have has little to do with it. Surviving cancer is like a boxing match, it wins some rounds, you win some rounds. The point is to live long enough for doctors to come up with something to help you in the next round.

Sometimes though there are no more rounds, which completely and utterly sucks.

I think he's just referring to the fact that if anyone could afford the best treatments, its him. Just shows you the power of that disease

mkporter
10-05-2011, 06:13 PM
RIP. Like Apple products or not, Jobs was truly a visionary. Not many people have the impact he did. Sad to see a legend felled in his prime.

Garcia Bronco
10-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Clearly one of ther top 25 people, and high up there, that have influenced technology.

Some others would be Bill Gates(PC's and OS(and not DOS)), Radia Perlman (Spanning Tree), and Robert Metcalfe(Ethernet Standards).

Popps
10-05-2011, 06:32 PM
RIP. Like Apple products or not, Jobs was truly a visionary. Not many people have the impact he did. Sad to see a legend felled in his prime.

Even those who hate the company and the products owe a debt of gratitude. Technology simply would have never had it's limits pushed as quickly without him. Android would not have existed without him. (etc.)

Pretty choked up over this. Wish I wouldn't have seen that picture. (Above.)
But, it is what it is. Time marches on. Again, just thankful that he gave his genius to the company for so long.

The Mac platform I was introduced to so many years ago had a direct impact on my ability to feed my family today. Forever grateful.

Garcia Bronco
10-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Even those who hate the company and the products owe a debt of gratitude. Technology simply would have never had it's limits pushed as quickly without him. Android would not have existed without him. (etc.)

But, it is what it is. Time marches on. Again, just thankful that he gave his genius to the company for so long.

The Mac platform I was introduced to so many years ago had a direct impact on my ability to feed my family today. Forever grateful.

Screw Andriod and the iPhone as far as accomplishments go in comparison to his best contribution; the GUI. think about it.

hookemhess
10-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Screw Andriod and the iPhone as far as accomplishments go in comparison to his best contribution; the GUI. think about it.

The one he swiped from Xerox?

RIP Steve --- one of America's greatest industrialists. The company he built and subsequently turned around has pushed the tech industry to where it is today.

Also, Pixar. That's awesome, too.

Dukes
10-05-2011, 06:43 PM
RIP. Not a fan of the Mac but I completely respect Jobs for his innovation and creativity. How many people can honestly say they left that kind of impact on the world? Very few for sure.

Popps
10-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Oh, absolutely. The iPod is actually what turned the company around, but the interface was what changed computing.

I remember being introduced to DOS and basic computing in high school. Thought it was O.K.. But, just never took hold with me. Even in college, I didn't have much interest. But, in the early 90s I started working with some Macs at various studios I worked in, and couldn't believe how differently the OS was configured. It felt like an extension of your body. Almost 20 years later, and again... I just feel so much gratitude to them for creating the platform/OS/Products they did, as it helped propel me into a nice career.

Even on a personal level, I know all Mac-lovers feel a sense of brand-loyalty. It's just something about the way the machines fit us. Some people don't agree, and that's cool. To each his own. But, there's a reason the cult of Mac exists. The concept just speaks very directly to many people.

But, again... even if you hate all things Mac, the guy has done a lot for all consumers.

Can't believe we're having this discussion already. Guy didn't get much of a retirement.

crush17
10-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Sad day. Sad picture. Cancer is what we should be fighting, not wars in Afghanistan.

RIP Steve Jobs. You will be missed.

Play2win
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Reality distortion field...

Amazing man that impacting the world forever.

Garcia Bronco
10-05-2011, 06:52 PM
The one he swiped from Xerox?

I don't think that's true man. Xerox did invent ethernet, and ethernet II I believe.

strafen
10-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Sad news indeed. My prayers go out to his family and loved ones...
R.I.P

Play2win
10-05-2011, 06:54 PM
It was crazy that last night I watched both the new TRON and a bio-pic on John Entwistle call An Ox's Tail.

Steve was brilliant, but was also part Rock Star, and was one of the best at what he did.

Play2win
10-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Might be a good time to watch Pirates of Silicon Valley... Again...

Garcia Bronco
10-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Also look up Radia Perlman. She developed the algorithim for Spanning Tree. This is basically what allowed star topology networks to exist that didn't have massive loops that would crush you network. The internet doesn't leave the ground without this.

hookemhess
10-05-2011, 07:09 PM
I don't think that's true man. Xerox did invent ethernet, and ethernet II I believe.

Trivial to debate at a time like this, but its true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

http://www.pbs.org/nerds/part3.html
and a video of the above excerpt http://youtu.be/wdrKWArr3XY

Regardless, his list of innovations and contributions to the world are innumerable.

Dagmar
10-05-2011, 07:12 PM
http://edibleapple.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/steve-jobs-bill-gates-1991.jpg

I’m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs’ death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come. For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it’s been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely.

Popps
10-05-2011, 07:17 PM
CNBC has a cool biography if anyone wants to check it out.

Sounds like he wasn't always a good man, but he still left a positive legacy.
What a life he lived.

gunns
10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
CNBC has a cool biography if anyone wants to check it out.

Sounds like he wasn't always a good man, but he still left a positive legacy.
What a life he lived.

Are any of us always a good person? No

Garcia Bronco
10-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Trivial to debate at a time like this, but its true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Alto

http://www.pbs.org/nerds/part3.html
and a video of the above excerpt http://youtu.be/wdrKWArr3XY

Regardless, his list of innovations and contributions to the world are innumerable.

It's definately seems like he used the idea of a GUI, but the specfic MAC GUI...I can't tell from from the links for sure.

Anyway....right on.

Fedaykin
10-05-2011, 08:05 PM

The first Mac GUI was a derivative of the R&D done at Xerox PARC.

Job's greatest skill was not technology. Job's greatest skill was picking a winner -- the most important skill of any visionary.

Requiem
10-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Posting on the Orange Mane with one of those baller new MacBook Airs. Something for an affordable price, and it is now the backbone of my music studio. Hell yeah. R.I.P. Steve Jobs. One of da bestests of all timezonies.

TheDave
10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Not an apple fan... probably never will be.

But we just lost one of the great business men of our time... RIP

Retire #30!!!
10-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Sad day indeed... For those of us who have been on macs since the beginning it's like losing your franchise QB.... Forever I'm really bummed out. He really did change the world and people's daily lives. Kind of unreal as I'm typing this on my iPad

broncosteven
10-05-2011, 08:40 PM

RIP to Jobs. It is very sad.

Funny but I feel the same way about Microsoft because their product was an integral part of large scale networks that I learned how to deploy, support, and manage.

Popps
10-05-2011, 08:44 PM
RIP to Jobs. It is very sad.

Funny but I feel the same way about Microsoft because their product was an integral part of large scale networks that I learned how to deploy, support, and manage.

I have a cousin who is just like you. Owes a lot of his life to the MSFT products and platforms. We've had a healthy debate for most of our lives about this stuff, but we're both sad today.

Rohirrim
10-05-2011, 08:46 PM
A great American entrepreneur and visionary innovator. He made a huge difference in the world that will continue to ripple out beyond his time.

TotallyScrewed
10-05-2011, 08:47 PM

Sorry, I don't buy that. If true, we're doomed to poor technology because bright minds don't get a chance every day...sometimes it's sudden death and sometimes it's something else.

There are lots of people who end up working on similar stuff and coming to similar conclusions. History is filled with examples.

broncosteven
10-05-2011, 08:47 PM
The first Mac GUI was a derivative of the R&D done at Xerox PARC.

Job's greatest skill was not technology. Job's greatest skill was picking a winner -- the most important skill of any visionary.

Garcia is right about Ethernet

Your right about the Apple/OS2/Windows being derived from PARC.

PARC also came up with the Mouse as an input device.

Jobs had the ability to take a process and simplifly it.

Dagmar
10-05-2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.zootpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/pixar.jpg

Mr. Elway
10-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Much as I deride the Apple fanboys this man was a true technology visionary and a great American. It's thanks in no small part to people like him that we're not vastly worse off than we are today. He created and led one of the greatest companies in the world, and his ingenuity has helped keep this country on top. The world won't be the same without him.

bowtown
10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
One of the all time great marketing geniuses. No one could create a message and drive it home like Steve Jobs. RIP.

Popps
10-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Much as I deride the Apple fanboys this man was a true technology visionary and a great American. It's thanks in no small part to people like him that we're not vastly worse off than we are today. He created and led one of the greatest companies in the world, and his ingenuity has helped keep this country on top. The world won't be the same without him.

Yea, even people that don't care for him seem to recognize the areas in which he was a pioneer. To me, that's the sign of a pretty special human being.

I remember when MP3 technology came out. As an audio engineer/proudcer/musician... I wasn't wild about the degradation of quality. But, business-wise... I knew it was the future.

This was years ago. I invested a small sum in a tiny start-up called Goodnoise... later eMusic. Small company with the right idea, but the wrong execution. Then, there was the Napster flap... then that died. I remember reading an article around that time where Jobs was making the case that a lot of us were making, that the record companies were shooting themselves in the foot by not taking advantage of the technology.

Years later, the record companies are a shell of what they used to be and Jobs and Apple are selling billions of digital music files, and the world now sees iTunes and the MP3 as a primary music medium.

Someone mentioned that Jobs could "make the right bet," but this story shows that it's a lot more than making the right bet. The execution and the drive has to be there. He's always proven to have both of those things.

I mean, he came back and helped take AAPL from a $13 stock to the biggest market-cap of any company on the planet.

titan
10-05-2011, 09:42 PM
I love his advice on life given in this commencement address to Stanford grads:

"death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."

Read his whole address at the link below:

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

Play2win
10-05-2011, 09:49 PM
I love his advice on life given in this commencement address to Stanford grads:

"death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."

Read his whole address at the link below:

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

Thanks for that! :thumbsup:

Houshyamama
10-05-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't blame the democrats or republicans..

I blame cancer for the loss of our Jobs.

I stole that.

ShutDownPoster
10-05-2011, 10:12 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cFEarBzelBs?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cFEarBzelBs?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Steve - RIP

vonqkilla
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
I hope his deathbed declaration was to split the stock, and pay have his net worth to his shareholders!!!

I need I stock split man!!!

jhns
10-06-2011, 08:46 AM
I just heard on the radio that the felch Kansas church homos will be protesting at his funeral. Someone needs to run their asses over at one of these retarded protests.

Chris
10-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I just heard on the radio that the felch Kansas church homos will be protesting at his funeral. Someone needs to run there asses over at one of these retarded protests.

Thought Obama introduced some law to prevent this bs?

Kaylore
10-06-2011, 09:23 AM
A brilliant mind of our time. RIP.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-06-2011, 09:27 AM
"Jobs ran a business the way all businesses should be run: he hired the most talented people he could find, then he pushed them to their limits to create better work. That’s how innovation happens, and it’s how Steve Jobs changed the world. His death is a profound loss — an old that had no new to replace it."
-Matt Ufford, WarmingGlow.com

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2011/10/r-i-p-steve-jobs

ColoradoDarin
10-06-2011, 09:59 AM
RIP.

I don't care for the products, they're usually just shiny objects with slick marketing. I sold the only Apple product I ever owned last month - iPod Touch. I still have my Rio S10 Mp3 player that's about 12 years old (prior to any iPod and yeah, that company is long gone, so I have to keep XP on at least one computer) that works great even after it was left outside a few weeks by my 2 year old this year. I do understand why people love the products, I just don't love them myself.

Jobs was a brilliant business man and an even better marketer - his transformation of Apple from a cult following into mainstream is going to be studied for the next 100 years. Much like Henry Ford didn't invent the auto, but basically invented the manufacturing process for auto, so is with Jobs and personal electronics. Not to mention Pixar. RIP to a brilliant man taken too soon.

Mile High Mojoe
10-06-2011, 10:30 AM
What an innovator, I was compelled to buy one his iPhones after I tried it out at an Apple Store and I was a confirmed hater of all cellphones. Can't imagine life without it now. Thanks Steve and God Speed.

Rohirrim
10-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Probably the most powerful commercial in marketing history:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HhsWzJo2sN4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SportinOne
10-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Are any of us always a good person? No

...that's a pretty dangerous rationalization.

Garcia Bronco
10-06-2011, 11:24 AM
...that's a pretty dangerous rationalization.

It depends on what is meant by "good".

Generally most people are good people.

bowtown
10-06-2011, 11:27 AM
It depends on what is meant by "good".

Generally most people are good people.

Totally subjective.

Que
10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I blame Obama. We all know that after he was sworn in he went to the oval office and found the envelop left for him by Bush with the sooper sekrit "Presidential Rules". I happen to know what they are so I will share them with you:

The Rules of Being President (in order of priority)
1. Keep Steve alive
2. Don't blow up the world
3. Don't admit that aliens exist and currently play on several sports teams

In all seriousness, wow, he was the first Tech Titan to die. Such a shame. He did so much and had so much more to offer. Truly one of those rare individuals right up there with Ford, Edison and Franklin.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I blame Obama. We all know that after he was sworn in he went to the oval office and found the envelop left for him by Bush with the sooper sekrit "Presidential Rules". I happen to know what they are so I will share them with you:

The Rules of Being President (in order of priority)
1. Keep Steve alive
2. Don't blow up the world
3. Don't admit that aliens exist and currently play on several sports teams

In all seriousness, wow, he was the first Tech Titan to die. Such a shame. He did so much and had so much more to offer. Truly one of those rare individuals right up there with Ford, Edison and Franklin.

Interestingly, those rules were written in crayon.

TheReverend
10-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Probably the most powerful commercial in marketing history:

All I have to say is, thank god for oregon trail...

jhns
10-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Thought Obama introduced some law to prevent this bs?

I have no clue if that happened but I just read an article confirming the protest. They used an iphone to tweet that they are protesting jobs...

Dedhed
10-06-2011, 12:34 PM
This is a great loss, not only for Apple, but for the tech world and society. My future father-in-law knew Jobs as a younger man. They used to have long, philosophical, talks about what computers and technology could do for the world. What their ultimate purpose should be in the world, etc.

He always says that Jobs' was the most interesting person he ever talked to because his vision was so completely mind-boggling. He said it was like talking to someone who had been to another world and was simply reporting what he had seen there because he believed so completely in what he was doing. Even in the late 70s Jobs had visions of the things that we see rolling out today, and things that other people simply could not conceive of at the time.

A great loss, indeed. Rest In Peace.

C130Herkload
10-06-2011, 01:24 PM
PG-13, but so very true.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/last-american-who-knew-what-the-****-he-was-doing,26268/

Replace the **** with an f-bomb and the link will work.

Dagmar
10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5kjVw.jpg

maven
10-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I wonder if Microsoft still owns a piece of Apple.

baja
10-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Steve Jobs died because he knew too much. Too bad I really liked the guy. Big Apple product fan. Loved to watch the new product roll outs. Jobs was a master marketer

RIP Mr. Jobs.

El Minion
10-06-2011, 04:04 PM
http://realdanlyons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/6a00d834515efd69e200e54fa45fcf8833-800wi1.jpeg

El Minion
10-06-2011, 04:05 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqhr46trpa1qz9917o1_500.png

Popps
10-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Some great responses in this thread. Thanks to those who paid respects and kept it civil.

El Minion
10-06-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/galleries/2011/10/06/steve-jobs-memes-best-graphics-photos-after-apple-co-founders-death-photos/jcr:content/gallery/slide_10/image.img.1317934619597.jpg

El Minion
10-06-2011, 04:41 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/galleries/2011/10/06/steve-jobs-memes-best-graphics-photos-after-apple-co-founders-death-photos/jcr:content/gallery/slide_9/image.img.1317934617512.jpg

El Minion
10-06-2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/content/dailybeast/galleries/2011/10/06/steve-jobs-memes-best-graphics-photos-after-apple-co-founders-death-photos/jcr:content/gallery/slide_1/image.img.1317934619023.jpg

El Minion
10-06-2011, 04:43 PM
xkcd: Eternal Flame

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/eternal_flame.gif

Chris
10-06-2011, 05:07 PM
I will take his words to heart. Rest in peace Mr. Jobs.

TonyR
10-07-2011, 09:55 AM
I didn't know these things about him:

He was a baby turned over for adoption by his biological parents. He dropped out of school. He was fired at the age of 30 by the very company he had founded. And in the face of early humbling, he focused on his own vision and his own passion - an individualist creed forged in the crucible of a sure knowledge of his own mortality, of his own death.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2011/10/why-steve-jobs-matters.html

TonyR
10-07-2011, 09:58 AM
After dropping out of Reed College, a stronghold of liberal thought in Portland, Ore., in 1972, Mr. Jobs led a countercultural lifestyle himself. He told a reporter that taking LSD was one of the two or three most important things he had done in his life. He said there were things about him that people who had not tried psychedelics — even people who knew him well, including his wife — could never understand.

Decades later he flew around the world in his own corporate jet, but he maintained emotional ties to the period in which he grew up. He often felt like an outsider in the corporate world, he said. When discussing the Silicon Valley’s lasting contributions to humanity, he mentioned in the same breath the invention of the microchip and “The Whole Earth Catalog,” a 1960s counterculture publication.

Flex Gunmetal
10-07-2011, 02:41 PM
He also illegally bought his way into a liver transplant with terminal cancer, denying more suitable patients a working liver.
He also took his 8bill to the grave, despite pleas from his peer-millionaires to do some charity work.

He may have revolutionized the GUI, but he was hardly the innovator everyone says. If anything, he was the fashionista of the tech industry.

Play2win
10-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Might want to check into some of his work at NeXT...

MacGruder
10-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Steve Jobs died because he knew too much. Too bad I really liked the guy. Big Apple product fan. Loved to watch the new product roll outs. Jobs was a master marketer

RIP Mr. Jobs.

What do you mean, Baja?

My take on Jobs is that it wasn't so much he was brilliant, it''s that the rest of the PC/electronics world is a joke.

bowtown
10-07-2011, 09:05 PM
He also illegally bought his way into a liver transplant with terminal cancer, denying more suitable patients a working liver.
He also took his 8bill to the grave, despite pleas from his peer-millionaires to do some charity work.

He may have revolutionized the GUI, but he was hardly the innovator everyone says. If anything, he was the fashionista of the tech industry.

There's actually a great OPED in the Times today by Mike Daisey that grapples with some of the pluses and minuses of Steve Jobs and his career:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/opinion/jobs-looked-to-the-future.html?ref=opinion

BTW, if you ever get a chance to see one of Mike Daisey's one man shows (he's a story teller; Spalding Gray style) I promise you won't regret it.

Play2win
10-07-2011, 09:11 PM
What do you mean, Baja?

My take on Jobs is that it wasn't so much he was brilliant, it''s that the rest of the PC/electronics world is a joke.

He hired Jonathan Ive. I would call that Brilliant.

Kid A
10-07-2011, 10:57 PM
He hired Jonathan Ive. I would call that Brilliant.

Bingo. One of Jobs' biggest triumphs was understanding the importance of beautiful design in capturing the markets imagination. He cared about the logos they used. He cared about the typography installed on the computer. And he payed handsomely to have a genius in Ives design every flagship line.

This was a big part of Apple marking a clear difference between their main competitor. An elegant, simple mp3 player is going to be worth the extra money to consumers vs. a whole market of similar looking devices that are not nearly as intuitive. As Jobs famously put it "The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste."

baja
10-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Bingo. One of Jobs' biggest triumphs was understanding the importance of beautiful design in capturing the markets imagination. He cared about the logos they used. He cared about the typography installed on the computer. And he payed handsomely to have a genius in Ives design every flagship line.

This was a big part of Apple marking a clear difference between their main competitor. An elegant, simple mp3 player is going to be worth the extra money to consumers vs. a whole market of similar looking devices that are not nearly as intuitive. <b>As Jobs famously put it "The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste."

Never heard that before it is so true. Hell even Apple's packaging is more elegant that any PC machine.

broncosteven
10-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Might want to check into some of his work at NeXT...

Why it was a huge flop.

He wanted it to replace higher end business workstations for CAD designs stations and go at the lower lever server market but IBM made Next redundant with SAN and legacy mainfraime storage area designs.

Hit a home run with his Gui that ran on top of OS2 (?) before being incorporated fully into the OS.

Then when he couldn't get traction into the bigger markets of Servers/LAN/SAN/ he came out with the dumbed down iPod, iPad, iPhone etc...

Will be interesting to see if Apple can meet there own user base needs for new cool, pretty, overpriced devices that everyone wants to spend money on.

maven
10-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Will be interesting to see if Apple can meet there own user base needs for new cool, pretty, overpriced devices that everyone wants to spend money on.

Will be interesting to see if Apple can still generate the excitement going forward in the next few years. The premium price tag Apple carries can only continue for so long.

baja
10-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Will be interesting to see if Apple can still generate the excitement going forward in the next few years. The premium price tag Apple carries can only continue for so long.

I think Apple's run is over. It's a copy cat world and other smart people witnessed what worked for Apple and will surely capitalize on it.

Good time to sell short

Play2win
10-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Why it was a huge flop.

He wanted it to replace higher end business workstations for CAD designs stations and go at the lower lever server market but IBM made Next redundant with SAN and legacy mainfraime storage area designs.

Hit a home run with his Gui that ran on top of OS2 (?) before being incorporated fully into the OS.

Then when he couldn't get traction into the bigger markets of Servers/LAN/SAN/ he came out with the dumbed down iPod, iPad, iPhone etc...

Well, considering that it was a lot of what went into OSX... it was probably real meaningful work.

Also I would easily pay a premium for products/systems/environments that just work, do what you want, and are intuitive.

I would pay even more of a premium where intelligence has been built into the overall system of the combination/marriage of the OS and the Hardware together.

Furthermore, the usability and ease of use built into products, the OS, and the interface is worth it all for me.

The beauty of the Apple design is not in how pretty is looks, but in the quality of materials it uses, the user interface, and the logical usability and ease of use that makes using a Mac almost second nature.

A lot of people don't really understand what Design actually is.

Steve Jobs definitely did.

baja
10-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Well, considering that it was a lot of what went into OSX... it was probably real meaningful work.

Also I would easily pay a premium for products/systems/environments that just work, do what you want, and are intuitive.

I would pay even more of a premium where intelligence has been built into the overall system of the combination/marriage of the OS and the Hardware together.

Furthermore, the usability and ease of use built into products, the OS, and the interface is worth it all for me.

The beauty of the Apple design is not in how pretty is looks, but in the quality of materials it uses, the user interface, and the logical usability and ease of use that makes using a Mac almost second nature.

Excellent post you nailed the allure for all things Apple .

baja
10-08-2011, 10:31 AM
If Apple is smart they will change the logo to reflect the shadow profile of Steve Jobs where the bite now is.

baja
10-08-2011, 10:33 AM
At least until the 1st anniversary of his passing.

Bronco Yoda
10-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I had the opportunity to meet him in the mid 90's. He was touring our buildings and projects and meeting with Branson. It was during his Pixar days. We had a one on one conversation down the halls of our newly renovated studio. I remember he really liked the funky stained concrete & industrial look of our new interior designs around the green screens and sound rooms. He was like Jesus to the tech guys.

To me a very affable person without the large entourage that accompanied many such titans. Very inquisitive about everything.

An innovative guru with the love of form and function. Someone who simply got things done. It's just too bad that kept with outsourcing thing.

RIP

ColoradoDarin
10-08-2011, 01:33 PM

One of the reasons I sold my iPod Touch was that after an hour's use, the voice activation control would pop on randomly. This is a known bug to Apple for several years. They could alleviate it easily with a on/off switch in an update, but they don't. That's not good design.

It's also why I don't like MS either - every time they release a new Windows platform they take configurability away (seriously, why does Win7 not have the option of the same start menu I've been using for 17 years when I got a Beta copy if Win95).