PDA

View Full Version : Casa Bonita Closing?

Rohirrim
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
I know we are in on-season mode, but this is a regional calamity!
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19037690

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BK_oX9wcu34/TD-TFKFApiI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/uwrgwTHkiVI/s320/southpark.gif

Taco John
10-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I know we are in on-season mode, but this is a regional calamity!
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19037690

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BK_oX9wcu34/TD-TFKFApiI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/uwrgwTHkiVI/s320/southpark.gif

Definitely going to allow this. It breaks my heart that I'll never get to take my boy to Casa Bonita! What terrible news!

Tombstone RJ
10-04-2011, 11:28 AM
bummer... their food sucked but the atmosphere was great.

Taco John
10-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Hmmmm...

"According to a Star Buffet representative, business will continue at the cliff-diving restaurant."

All may not be lost.

Rohirrim
10-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Hmmmm...

"According to a Star Buffet representative, business will continue at the cliff-diving restaurant."

All may not be lost.

Ah! Hope so. Where else can you go to see a dancing gorilla and cliff divers?

Ray Finkle
10-04-2011, 11:32 AM
One of my best memories of going to Denver every summer...

TheDave
10-04-2011, 11:42 AM

This... I went there once with the kids.

Cool atmosphere with a heaping tray of dog food.

bfoflcommish
10-04-2011, 11:42 AM
One of my best memories of going to Denver every summer...

i dont know if this is funny or sad.

Its a great place for the kids, but the food as become so awful yet prices going higher that this is not a shock at all. ONly thing worth going is sopapillas and a margarita, but in order to get those you have to buy a $14 plate of processed cheese and meat filing filled tacos and enchiladas.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I loved going there when I was a kid. The old west shootouts that led to the bad guys falling off the clifs.... the terrible food... the skeeball.

maven
10-04-2011, 12:09 PM
According to the article, it will still be open. Great news! I will make sure to take a trip there when I'm back in Colorado.

Ha!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Come for the cliff divers... stay for the explosive diarrhea!

DomCasual
10-04-2011, 12:25 PM
If you ever come to SLC, Casa Bonita's twin is here. There was even a lawsuit over it. The food is even about the same quality. It's in a safe area, though, so you don't get the thrill of that.

bronco militia
10-04-2011, 12:25 PM
it's only a matter of time. go before it's too late LOL

bronco militia
10-04-2011, 12:26 PM
. It's in a safe area, though, so you don't get the thrill of that.

little hong kong?

DomCasual
10-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I love telling people I'm from Denver, and getting, "Oh my gosh! There is THE BEST Mexican restaurant there. They serve AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD! And the environment is just amazing. It's called....oh, now I can't remember..."

"Um, Casa Bonita?"

"YES! THAT'S IT! So, you know it, then? Oh, you must have eaten there every weekend!"

"Sure, pretty much every weekend!"

I can't tell you how many times I've had that basic conversation.

DomCasual
10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
little hong kong?

So, you've heard of it?!?!

bronco militia
10-04-2011, 12:31 PM
So, you've heard of it?!?!

yes, duh :afro:

Dr. Broncenstein
I love telling people I'm from Denver, and getting, "Oh my gosh! There is THE BEST Mexican restaurant there. They serve AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD! And the environment is just amazing. It's called....oh, now I can't remember..."

"Um, Casa Bonita?"

"YES! THAT'S IT! So, you know it, then? Oh, you must have eaten there every weekend!"

"Sure, pretty much every weekend!"

I can't tell you how many times I've had that basic conversation.

Menudo is pretty authentic, last I heard. I'm pretty sure that's what they serve at Casa Bonita. They call it something different... "enchiladas" if I recall.

FantomForce
let it burn. it had it's run with south park, just like gingers. let 'em both rot

DomCasual
10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
yes, duh :afro:

They make THE BEST eggrolls! Or, as we call them in the old town, "Egg rorrs!"

bronco militia
10-04-2011, 12:36 PM
let it burn. it had it's run with south park, just like gingers. let 'em both rot

Ha!

(looks at avatar)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ha3gAcEq59Y/S7U0YdZh_eI/AAAAAAAAAG0/ImDOrZUYNnU/s1600/donaldson-2408.jpg

bronco militia
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
They make THE BEST eggrolls! Or, as we call them in the old town, "Egg rorrs!"

that's racist! LOL

I hear the sesame chicken is not really chicken...is there a veterinarian near by?

DomCasual
10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Ha!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ha3gAcEq59Y/S7U0YdZh_eI/AAAAAAAAAG0/ImDOrZUYNnU/s1600/donaldson-2408.jpg

Dude, why do you have a Karl Mecklenburg Accent Windows Fathead?

DomCasual
10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
that's racist! LOL

I hear the sesame chicken is not really chicken...is there a veterinarian near by?

No, but they do have one of the most successful feral cat placement programs in the United States. I don't know how they get all those cats placed. It's like a miracle!

Ray Finkle
10-04-2011, 12:42 PM
i dont know if this is funny or sad.

Its a great place for the kids, but the food as become so awful yet prices going higher that this is not a shock at all. ONly thing worth going is sopapillas and a margarita, but in order to get those you have to buy a $14 plate of processed cheese and meat filing filled tacos and enchiladas.

It was in the 80's...I looked forward to going to Denver to see my Grandparents, cousins, going to Casa Bonita and then fishing in FairPlay....

bronco militia
10-04-2011, 12:42 PM
No, but they do have one of the most successful feral cat placement programs in the United States. I don't know how they get all those cats placed. It's like a miracle!

amazing!

Smiling Assassin27
10-04-2011, 12:51 PM

2nd that.

SimonFletcher73
10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Only place I can think of that gets a pass for having bad food. I'll still eat it. Used to get the chicken fingers when I was a kid. Seemed decent back then.

bendog
10-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Can't Tim save it? (tim must be in every thread) (-:

OBF1
10-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I went there 1 time when I lived in Denver... Must have been drunk as hell because I can not remember a thing about it.

ghwk
10-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I remember pestering my dad into taking me to that place. God how he hated it, except the sopapilla's that he was ok with.

elsid13
10-04-2011, 03:56 PM
God, I didn't even know that place was still around. I remember going there as kid.

crowebomber
10-04-2011, 03:58 PM
If Disneyland and Tijuana had a drunken love child and left it to fend for itself in a strip mall on Colfax, this is Casa Bonita.

crowebomber
10-04-2011, 04:00 PM
God, I didn't even know that place was still around. I remember going there as kid.

Everything is EXACTLY the same as the last time you were there. I took my kids and we were watching the puppet show and I kept getting this eerie feeling of deja vu. Then I realized that the puppet show was the exact same show with the same puppets and same story that it was 30 years ago. Casa Bonita has kept Velveeta in business for 35 years.

elsid13
10-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Everything is EXACTLY the same as the last time you were there. I took my kids and we were watching the puppet show and I kept getting this eerie feeling of deja vu. Then I realized that the puppet show was the exact same show with the same puppets and same story that it was 30 years ago. Casa Bonita has kept Velveeta in business for 35 years.

I just Google'd their website and realize it looks like it did in the late 70's. Why mess with success.

Tombstone RJ
10-04-2011, 04:22 PM
I just Google'd their website and realize it looks like it did in the late 70's. Why mess with success.

If it was so successful it should be able to weather this economic storm, yes? I have a feeling that overcharging for crappy food and the same damn shows for 30+ years finally took its toll and now the owners are probably like a lot of other small business owners in that they have too much debt and the banks aren't extending them any more credit.

They are probably trying to sell the place but no one is buying in this economy because again, the dumbazz banks aren't loaning any money.

the cycle of crap in this economy is a self perpetuating fiasco.

thanks for nothing fed gov.

crowebomber
10-04-2011, 04:29 PM

In the 70's, they didn't have to compete with Chuckie Cheese, Dave and Busters, and all the other restaurant/entertainment venues aimed at kids. It is very unique but I think the parents today just take their kids there for nostalgic reasons. They can get more bang for their buck elsewhere.

Rulon Velvet Jones
10-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I was just there this past weekend, having not visited for almost 20 years. Oddly enough, I remembered almost every little memory of the place. So damned bizarre. And the mud butt was just like I remembered - absolutely brutal. But terrible food aside, that place is a hoot and needs to stay afloat as long as possible.

Rohirrim
10-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Still one of my favorite South Park episodes.

ghwk
10-04-2011, 04:42 PM
I was just there this past weekend, having not visited for almost 20 years. Oddly enough, I remembered almost every little memory of the place. So damned bizarre. And the mud butt was just like I remembered - absolutely brutal. But terrible food aside, that place is a hoot and needs to stay afloat as long as possible.

I agree, it is so bad it actually should stay in business for that reason as it has reached cult status for its epic badness.

Sort of like Elizabeth Berkeley in Showgirls. It's in a class all its own. ROFL!

gunns
10-04-2011, 05:20 PM
If you ever come to SLC, Casa Bonita's twin is here. There was even a lawsuit over it. The food is even about the same quality. It's in a safe area, though, so you don't get the thrill of that.

Are you referring to the Mayan? That food was disgusting and the show wasn't worth it. Unbelievably pricey for what you get. They should have paid me to eat it.

DomCasual
10-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Are you referring to the Mayan? That food was disgusting and the show wasn't worth it. Unbelievably pricey for what you get. They should have paid me to eat it.

And, there you go! EXACTLY the same as Casa Bonita!

Broncos4tw
10-04-2011, 06:09 PM
I do remember taking my wife was anti-climatic. Seemed amazing as a kid. As an adult.. meh.

The food is atrocious. They literally serve a lot of stuff out of cans, including tortillas, etc. CANS. The food is worse than terrible. If it went out of business, I'd feel a bit of nostalgia sorrow.. sort of like when Cinderella City was tore down. But other than that.. feh, I can live without it. ugh!~

Bronx33
10-04-2011, 06:16 PM
They serve this stuff there they call cheese ( you ever had it)?

hambone13
10-04-2011, 06:21 PM
They would have been fine if they just partnered with Taco Bell. Casa Bonita customers might pay those insane prices if the food was at least that good. I saw this coming a mile away. I've been saying for years that it's amazing that it's still open. Even when I was 7-12 and that place was fun to play hide and seek in, see the shows, etc., I still thought the food sucked. I feel the same way about Chuck E Cheese. They would get so much more of my business due to pressure from my kids if the crust wasn't like cardboard. Awful.

Bronx33
10-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Funny story but back in the 70s my brother had a job there as a bean stirrer when he was 16 ( serious )

Mile High Mojoe
10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
The food was horrible, I'm amazed it stayed open as long as it did. Is Steamboat Willies still open?

hambone13
10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
If Disneyland and Tijuana had a drunken love child and left it to fend for itself in a strip mall on Colfax, this is Casa Bonita.

ROFL! Well said.......except the food would be edible.

bronco militia
10-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Lmao ..this thread will be saved for out of town tailgaters

titan
10-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Remember those old tv commercials that Ricardo "Khan" Montalban used to do for Casa Bonita? "Food prepared fresh and new for you every morning ..." he said.

And the food did taste like it was sitting around all day. Reminded me of the Rosarita frozen dinners I used to make for myself in my single days.

Dagmar
10-04-2011, 06:38 PM
The food was horrible, I'm amazed it stayed open as long as it did. Is Steamboat Willies still open?

Shotgun Willies is.

hambone13
10-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Remember those old tv commercials that Ricardo "Khan" Montalban used to do for Casa Bonita? "Food prepared fresh and new for you every morning ..." he said.

And the food did taste like it was sitting around all day. Reminded me of the Rosarita frozen dinners I used to make for myself in my single days.

And that's a kind comparison. It might be that good if you got it fresh out of the oven.

Bronx33
10-04-2011, 06:45 PM
For those have never seen casa bonita there are abunch of clips on you tube

Tim
10-04-2011, 06:48 PM
casa bonita is the biggest cash cow in town, I went there last month on a tuesday night for my niece's birthday and the line to get your plate was damn near on colfax.

Kid A
10-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I loved going there when I was a kid. The old west shootouts that led to the bad guys falling off the clifs.... the terrible food... the skeeball.

Into the icy waters below!

I'd say, in my experience, Casa Bonita is second only to the Broncos in terms of being a guaranteed common experience when I meet other people who have lived in the Denver area.

DomCasual
10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
I do remember taking my wife was anti-climatic. Seemed amazing as a kid. As an adult.. meh.

The food is atrocious. They literally serve a lot of stuff out of cans, including tortillas, etc. CANS. The food is worse than terrible. If it went out of business, I'd feel a bit of nostalgia sorrow.. sort of like when Cinderella City was tore down. But other than that.. feh, I can live without it. ugh!~

I grew up on Galapago, one half block from Cinderella City. That place raised me. I have so many memories there. I knew every nook and cranny of that place.

Bronx33
10-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I grew up on Galapago, one half block from Cinderella City. That place raised me. I have so many memories there. I knew every nook and cranny of that place.

ENGLEWOOD!! i had a place on bannock and dartmouth for a few years.

Dagmar
10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/southpark.gif

Dagmar
10-04-2011, 06:56 PM

I drive past its remains every day on the way to work.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Into the icy waters below!

I'd say, in my experience, Casa Bonita is second only to the Broncos in terms of being a guaranteed common experience when I meet other people who have lived in the Denver area.

I was about 5 years old the first time I went. It's one of those childhood memories that is just branded into my brain. I missed the Dukes of Hazzard to go to this place, and I was f--king pissed about it. As soon as the first gunfight went down, I knew my Dad was the coolest....

Mile High Mojoe
10-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Shotgun Willies is.

Thanks for the correction. I was only there once back the early 80's. What a place that is.

Requiem
10-04-2011, 07:15 PM
I move to Colorado. . . and this happens.

R.I.P.

Pony Boy
10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
When I lived in Colorado in the 70's, Casa Bonita was always a must to take friends that came out to vist. Another hot spot in the 70's for the guys was the Bust Stop in Boulder, I wonder if that place is still around that was a classy tittybar back in those days.

Bronx33
10-04-2011, 07:45 PM
When I lived in Colorado in the 70's, Casa Bonita was always a must to take friends that came out to vist. Another hot spot in the 70's for the guys was the , I wonder if that place is still around that was a classy tittybar back in those days.

I thinks its still there..

DomCasual
10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
ENGLEWOOD!! i had a place on bannock and dartmouth for a few years.

I used to deliver the Englewood Sentinel to Bannock, between Dartmouth and Floyd.

hambone13
10-04-2011, 10:05 PM
casa bonita is the biggest cash cow in town, I went there last month on a tuesday night for my niece's birthday and the line to get your plate was damn near on colfax.

lol, it's such a cash cow they're going out of business. Maybe it's because most of the business is coming off of Colfax for the excellent food.

maven
10-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Hey, what was the name of the place with the indoor water park and slides and pools, and had video and theme park games to win prizes, and food?

SouthStndJunkie
10-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I've been there several times, as I used to take people there from out of town that would come to visit me.

Outside of the sopapillas, the food sucks, but it is mystical in it's own way and the people I took always enjoyed the experience.

My daughter is 2 and half and I hope it is still around when she gets a little older so I can take her there on her first trip to Colorado for a Broncos game.

bronco militia
10-04-2011, 10:44 PM
cHey, what was the name of the place with the indoor water park and slides and pools, and had video and theme park games to win prizes, and food?

Celebrity sports center?

maven
10-04-2011, 10:45 PM
c

Celebrity sports center?

yah, that's it! Still there?

bronco militia
10-04-2011, 10:46 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Sports_Center

maven
10-04-2011, 10:49 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Sports_Center

no way! And Walt Disney was an investor?

Ha! at a Home Depot there now.

Bronco Yoda
10-04-2011, 11:00 PM

The lower level to Cinderella City was pretty neat for a little kid. That fog they pipe in with the fake night sky and London streets with those lamps.

I haven't been to Casa Bonita since the late 70's. Sounds like the food is still the same.

broncocalijohn
10-04-2011, 11:55 PM

little hong kong?

Without ever going there and going on Dave's culinary report, I would say Bronco Militia that it might be in Little Korea.

ol#7
10-05-2011, 01:46 AM
The lower level to Cinderella City was pretty neat for a little kid. That fog they pipe in with the fake night sky and London streets with those lamps.

I haven't been to Casa Bonita since the late 70's. Sounds like the food is still the same.

It is still the same, as in the food has been sitting around since the 70's!

Was there over christmas and the food is just terrible and overpriced...but I still love that place. The man in the well used to scare the crap out of me though when I was a kid. Hope it survives. Used to be Colorado's most visited attraction.

Maven, Disney actually wasnt just an invester in Celebrity, they owned it. It was supposed to turn into a major complex with hotels and such but didnt make enough money out of the gate. They used to train there management there. It was still profitable but the land was too valuable for it to survive.

titan
10-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Maven, Disney actually wasnt just an invester in Celebrity, they owned it. It was supposed to turn into a major complex with hotels and such but didnt make enough money out of the gate. They used to train there management there. It was still profitable but the land was too valuable for it to survive.

For an excellent history on Celebrity Sports Center check out:

http://buckfifty.org/2009/02/04/celebrity/

I spent many fun days there as a kid. My friends and I used to get their "passport to summer fun" pass. It was around $8 for unlimited bowling and swimming for a day.

orangeatheist
10-05-2011, 09:27 AM

I resent that! My dog eats better than that!

But, agree. Love the atmosphere, hate the way my legs fall asleep on the toilet after we get home.

orng&blu
10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
I personally think casa bonita was a trashy place for low class people, but if it does close Cartman will be really upset!

alkemical
10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I personally think casa bonita was a trashy place for low class people, but if it does close Cartman will be really upset!

Are you talking about Chuck E Cheese's?

broncocalijohn
10-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Are you talking about Chuck E Cheese's?

Hey now! They serve beer for the adults to be away from the kids paying a token (a quarter value) for 3 tickets (3 cents worth) of a 10 second game. There is value in that!

alkemical
10-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey now! They serve beer for the adults to be away from the kids paying a token (a quarter value) for 3 tickets (3 cents worth) of a 10 second game. There is value in that!

There's a problem at the Chuck E Cheese's where I live:

http://www.google.com/search?q=harrisburg+pa+chuck+e+cheese+fight&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Jan 5, 2009 Five Harrisburg women and a juvenile were charged in a large fight Saturday ...

crawdad
10-05-2011, 01:00 PM

I worked at Cinderella City during 1972 or 3 at "Up Your Alley" A pants store where you could buy $5 pants. It was just around the corner from "Round the Corner" restaurant.

broncosteven
10-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I worked at Cinderella City during 1972 or 3 at "Up Your Alley" A pants store where you could buy $5 pants. It was just around the corner from "Round the Corner" restaurant.

Were the pants made out of newspaper?

I vaguely remember someone trying to promote clothes made from paper back in the mid/early 70's.

DomCasual
10-05-2011, 01:12 PM

I remember Up Your Alley. My mom died when I was seven, which was a little after you would have been there. That's when I started roaming Cinderella City. I found a website awhile back that chronicled the start-up and demise of Cinderella City, along with pictures. I spent a good afternoon reading it - it brought back so many memories.

My brother used to work at Red Moon Pizzeria in Cinder Alley. The other brother worked at Der Weinerschnitzel (yes, there used to be a Der in front of it) in the Shamrock Mall. Before she died, my mom had a friend that owned Pet City in the Shamrock Mall, and she would send us all the puppies that got sick. We'd nurse them back to health, and send them back to be sold.

When I got older, I used to ride my bike around the cavernous underground parking garages. My best friend's dad was the head of maintenance for the whole mall, and he lived literally across the street.

bendog
10-05-2011, 01:17 PM
good head shops

Tombstone RJ
10-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Anyone go to Heritage Square anymore? I kinda think of Heritage Square in the same ilk as Cinderella City.

crawdad
10-05-2011, 01:34 PM
I went to Heritage Square (near Golden) last year.

crawdad
10-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Were the pants made out of newspaper?

I vaguely remember someone trying to promote clothes made from paper back in the mid/early 70's.

No, but they were cheap pants!

ghwk
10-05-2011, 02:25 PM
For an excellent history on Celebrity Sports Center check out:

http://buckfifty.org/2009/02/04/celebrity/

I spent many fun days there as a kid. My friends and I used to get their "passport to summer fun" pass. It was around $8 for unlimited bowling and swimming for a day.

I kept that place in business in the 70's playing pool, bowling and the video games. Even back then they were talking about closing down the pool because it was so expensive and got little use.

Is the Cooper theater still there? Saw Star Wars when it came out and The Shining at that place.

huh??
10-05-2011, 04:13 PM
The last time I went to Casa Bonita was in the early 90's. I went with my girlfriend, had "The Experience" and came out to find that her car had been stolen. Her parents had to come down from Evergreen to pick us up. Ahhhhhh. Memories!

ghwk
10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
The last time I went to Casa Bonita was in the early 90's. I went with my girlfriend, had "The Experience" and came out to find that her car had been stolen. Her parents had to come down from Evergreen to pick us up. Ahhhhhh. Memories!

HA!! Casa Bonita, where your innards go to die and your car gets stolen.

The place is special.

crawdad
10-06-2011, 07:17 AM
I kept that place in business in the 70's playing pool, bowling and the video games. Even back then they were talking about closing down the pool because it was so expensive and got little use.

Is the Cooper theater still there? Saw Star Wars when it came out and The Shining at that place.

I swam there several times and of course bowled many games there!

Was the Cooper Theatre right there on Colorado Blvd? If do that is where I saw Jaws and Star Wars.

Casa Bonita was indeed a unique experience. Just like everyone else said "You don't go there fro the food"!

Pony Boy
10-06-2011, 08:04 AM

In the early 70's I made $250 a week and bought a beautiful new tri-level home in Broomfield for 34K and had plenty of money left over to watch Charley Johnson, Otis Armstrong and my favorite Riley Odoms play on Sunday. Life didn't get any better than that.

crawdad
10-06-2011, 08:21 AM
In the early 70's I made $250 a week and bought a beautiful new tri-level home in Broomfield for 34K and had plenty of money left over to watch Charley Johnson, Otis Armstrong and my favorite Riley Odoms play on Sunday. Life didn't get any better than that.

It's amazing all the tough times we have been through as Bronco fans, yet today, the "Sky is falling" True fans persevere!

Meck77
10-06-2011, 08:26 AM

History is repeating itself. The wage isn't much better. Home prices are pretty close to that while the Broncos record is right on pace with the 70's. ;D
A ticket, parking, couple beers, a hot dog, will almost set you back almost $200 though. Some how the cost of the NFL experience hasn't changed with the recession like everything else.

Crawdad....Wasn't there for the 70's but I hear what you are saying loud and clear.

fdf
10-06-2011, 08:36 AM
In the 70's, they didn't have to compete with Chuckie Cheese, Dave and Busters, and all the other restaurant/entertainment venues aimed at kids. It is very unique but I think the parents today just take their kids there for nostalgic reasons. They can get more bang for their buck elsewhere.

Nope. They take 'em there because the kids demand it. I can tell you that from personal experience. Amongst 11 year old boys, a night at Casa Bonita is about as good as it gets.

bronclvr
10-06-2011, 08:42 AM

I spent a lot of time at Celebrity at the Slot Cat Track (and had a bunch of fast ones)-great memories there-

I saw Star Wars there too! I remember it was July or so, and when I walked out of that movie I was blown away-

bronclvr
10-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Anyone go to Heritage Square anymore? I kinda think of Heritage Square in the same ilk as Cinderella City.

I was raised in Golden and spent a lot of time at Heritage Square-does anybody remember the Alpine Slide?

How about Showtime Pizza at Westland? Anybody remember that?

bronclvr
10-06-2011, 08:45 AM

I worked in Broomfield from '75-77-what part did you live in?

Pony Boy
10-06-2011, 08:56 AM
History is repeating itself. The wage isn't much better. Home prices are pretty close to that while the Broncos record is right on pace with the 70's. ;D
A ticket, parking, couple beers, a hot dog, will almost set you back almost $200 though. Some how the cost of the NFL experience hasn't changed with the recession like everything else.

Crawdad....Wasn't there for the 70's but I hear what you are saying loud and clear.

One big difference was if you stayed home you had to watch the game on a small color TV with bad reception and no instant replay so you did what you could to get tickets to the game. Now fans are spoiled because they watch from home on giant 60 plus HD TV's with replays from every angle and dvrs to watch as many times as they want. What will it be like in another 40 years with virtual reality and 3d?

DHallblows
10-06-2011, 08:58 AM
I literally went to Heritage Square last Saturday and rode the alpine slide! ROFL!
Had some ice cream and went through the maze. Good times. But it was pretty empty for noon on a Saturday and definitely seemed more ghetto than Elitches currently is...

Pony Boy
10-06-2011, 09:02 AM

I lived out past 120th on134th, there was nothing but a couple of small housing developments and farm land as far north as you could see.

bronclvr
10-06-2011, 09:04 AM
I lived out past 120th on134th, there was nothing but a couple of small housing developments and farm land as far north as you could see.

I remember that, and did a few high-speed runs going north on Wadsworth-you could get away with it back then! :egbgb:

Pony Boy
10-06-2011, 09:10 AM
I remember that, and did a few high-speed runs going north on Wadsworth-you could get away with it back then! :egbgb:

Back in the old days when you could stop and get a six pack and have a cold one in the car on the way home. ROFL!

Broncos4tw
10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Yea, I used to walk to Cinderella City as a kid.. loved that place. Zeezos magic shop (or magic castle).. used to love hanging out there. 'Round the corner.. loved eating burger there. Call your order in from the phone at your table, woo.

I have a lot more fond memories of CC than of Casa. The fondest thing I can think of for Bonita is um.. the sopapillas. Probably the only thing they actually made from scratch. :~ohyah!:

TheReverend
10-06-2011, 03:51 PM

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/4566/mind-blown.gif

You are substantially older than I expected!

SimonFletcher73
10-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Great Job!

bronclvr
10-06-2011, 03:56 PM
http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/4566/mind-blown.gif

You are substantially older than I expected!

Oops! Only on the outside! ^5

lonestar
10-06-2011, 04:00 PM
remember going there when it opened up.\\ thought it was a good time at the time went there often although it was adrive to get there from Northglenn and Westminster (before freeways).

Since then I have moved to El paso Where they have real Mexican food and frankly other than for old times sake would not go back there if visiting Denver.

SimonFletcher73
10-06-2011, 04:09 PM
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/celebrity%20sports%20center.jpg

Last went around 1990. Was still fun as hell.

Bronx33
10-06-2011, 05:55 PM
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/celebrity%20sports%20center.jpg

Last went around 1990. Was still fun as hell.

Damn theres a flashback!! down on colorado blvd

broncosteven
10-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Was the Cooper Theatre right there on Colorado Blvd? If do that is where I saw Jaws and Star Wars.

I was too young to see Jaw's but I remember driving by the big Theater on Colorado Blvd when Jaws came out and seeing a line that stretched around the building.

Was Cooper just south of 25 on Colorado? We lived east of Colorado but north of Hampden.

Bronx33
10-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post

I saw the WALL for the first time there.

also altered states.

ghwk
10-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I saw the WALL for the first time there.

also altered states.

I saw Alien there in an Altered State!