PDA

View Full Version : Blocking a Field Goal at the Posts

BroncsCheer
09-30-2011, 08:57 AM
I realize this is stale content, given that it happened a month ago, but it's been bugging me ever since it happened and I can't find anything to set it straight.

When Janikowski kicked that long FG in week 1 @ Denver, it cleared the lower crossbar by around 12 to 18 inches. My question is:

Is it legal for the defensive team put a player with mad hops in the end zone to try and "goal tend" the kick when there is a chance that the ball will be coming in low enough to reach? Not sure what the rule allows - thought I'd ask the OM rules committee about that . . .

TIA

BroncsCheer

BroncsCheer
09-30-2011, 08:58 AM
I realize this is stale content, given that it happened a month ago, but it's been bugging me ever since it happened and I can't find anything to set it straight.

When Janikowski kicked that long FG in week 1 @ Denver, it cleared the crossbar by around 12 to 18 inches. My question is:

Is it legal for the defensive team put a player with mad hops in the end zone to try and "goal tend" the kick when there is a chance that the ball will be coming in low enough to reach? Not sure what the rule allows - thought I'd ask the OM rules committee about that . . .

TIA

BroncsCheer

BroncsCheer
09-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Failed attempt to modify thread title . .

BroncsCheer
09-30-2011, 09:01 AM
That's better. ...

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 09:02 AM
The cross bar is ten feet high.

The best vertical jump ever in the NFL is 46"

Would need "madder hops" than exists.

/thread

TheDave
09-30-2011, 09:14 AM
http://infect.c64.org/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/thread-ail-stamp.gif

What the heck has happened to this place?

Oh and in B4 CrossFitGaveMeUpsGuy posts...

Deuce
09-30-2011, 09:15 AM

/thread

What? A basketball hoop is 10 feet tall. Football players "dunk" over the crossbar after touchdowns all the time. So it is plausible that a player could reach high enough to reach a fg attempt that barely clears the crossbar, just don't know if its legal.

Thread/?

BroncsCheer
09-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Let's to the math.

Standing vert reach for 6'3" guy (like me) is 8' (96")

add vert leap (conservative) 40" = 136"

that's 16" over the crossbar - so it's not impossible. Improbable, but by no means impossible.

goldengopher1976
09-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Good grief, the thread police in this place are harsh.

Seems like an interesting question, and watching Tony Gonzalez dunk over the crossbar makes me think it might be possible. Now about the rule...?

EDIT: watching Megatron catch passes makes me think that there are a few guys with the hops (and ball tracking ability) to do it.

Deuce
09-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Let's to the math.

Standing vert reach for 6'3" guy (like me) is 8' (96")

add vert leap (conservative) 40" = 136"

that's 16" over the crossbar - so it's not impossible. Improbable, but by no means impossible.

I agree, not sure what Rev was thinking. I would still like to know if this was legal, I have thought about this before as well.

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 09:23 AM
What? A basketball hoop is 10 feet tall. Football players "dunk" over the crossbar after touchdowns all the time. So it is plausible that a player could reach high enough to reach a fg attempt that barely clears the crossbar, just don't know if its legal.

Thread/?

That's a running vertical. Can't really do that from behind the goal post based on it's shape alone. Could go from side to side but now you're making an impossible event even more impossible.

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 09:24 AM
I agree, not sure what Rev was thinking. I would still like to know if this was legal, I have thought about this before as well.

::)

Yeah... what was I thinking... Ha!

DrFate
Illegal in college

http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/goaltending-for-football

Illegal in NFL

http://www.ehow.com/about_5403961_nfl-field-goal-rules.html

schaaf
Players are able to return field goals. Therefore I would assume you could try and knock it down and say you were trying to catch it... but Im also assuming you would have to knock it down before it crossed the plane of the field goal posts???

alkemical
What if you draft a mutant ninja turtle from ***ashima that can jump that high to karate kick the football out of play during a field goal?

BroncsCheer
09-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Illegal in college

Illegal in NFL

http://www.ehow.com/about_5403961_nfl-field-goal-rules.html

Now the thread is over.

Thanks DrFate

TheDave
09-30-2011, 09:28 AM
What if you draft a mutant ninja turtle from ***ashima that can jump that high to karate kick the football out of play during a field goal?

Now we're getting somewhere!

What if we drafted one of those Tia Foot-Volleyball dudes?

http://www.lee-go-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/takraw1.jpg

DrFate
09-30-2011, 09:30 AM
It's nonsensical to think you couldn't have an NFL player who could do this. If you can dunk a basketball flat-footed, you could jump from a standing position and block a football that doinked the crossbar.

The OP deserved better than the crap he got.

alkemical

But...I like turtles more.

DENVERDUI55
I think it is illegal.

Deuce
09-30-2011, 09:31 AM
That's a running vertical. Can't really do that from behind the goal post based on it's shape alone. Could go from side to side but now you're making an impossible event even more impossible.

You do understand how a vertical is measured don't you? There are plently of nfl players that could get high enough to get a foot above the crossbar. Nice try though.

schaaf
09-30-2011, 09:32 AM
I think it is illegal.

Thanks Genius :notworthy

Kaylore
Oh and in B4 CrossFitGaveMeUpsGuy posts...

LOL

TheDave
But...I like turtles more.

They're are also harder to find.

I could probably get one of the FootVolleyBallGuys for a plane ticket and a used Kia... :clown:

Cut tebow give the dude his #15 and let the fun begin.

Kaylore
09-30-2011, 09:33 AM
I think it is illegal.

It is illegal to block a kick? What are we the NBA now? What's the penalty? Goaltending?

EDIT: I just read the rules posted and apparently it is illegal batting? I guess as long as you catch it, its legal.

alkemical
09-30-2011, 09:34 AM
They're are also harder to find.

I could probably get one of the FootVolleyBallGuys for a plane ticket and a used Kia... :clown:

I think it's because you aren't looking for mutant ninja turtles that you don't find them.

DrFate
09-30-2011, 09:35 AM
It is illegal to block a kick? What are we the NBA now? What's the penalty? Goaltending?

You can only try to block a kick at the line of scrimmage - it's been that way for some time. People used to ask 'if I get Manute Bol and stand him at the endline, can he try to swat away kicks'

DBroncos4life
09-30-2011, 09:37 AM
You can only try to block a kick at the line of scrimmage - it's been that way for some time. People used to ask 'if I get Manute Bol and stand him at the endline, can he try to swat away kicks'

He can try but, he will miss just like he did in the NBA.

Kaylore
09-30-2011, 09:39 AM

LOL rep for Manute Bol reference.

DENVERDUI55
09-30-2011, 09:40 AM

/thread

There are plenty of players that could easily do it. There is a reason it's illegal.

DrFate
09-30-2011, 09:42 AM
He can try but, he will miss just like he did in the NBA.

:)

*First in career blocks per 48 minutes (8.6), almost 50% beyond second-place Mark Eaton (5.8).

*Second in career blocks-per-game average (3.34).

*Fourteenth in total blocked shots (2,086).

DENVERDUI55
09-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks Genius :notworthy

Your welcome I was just answering his question but you already knew I'm sure.

TheDave
09-30-2011, 09:44 AM
FWIW... this is some crazy stuff.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Am6Vz2R3nv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DBroncos4life
09-30-2011, 09:45 AM

*First in career blocks per 48 minutes (8.6), almost 50% beyond second-place Mark Eaton (5.8).

*Second in career blocks-per-game average (3.34).

*Fourteenth in total blocked shots (2,086).

Well its clear he is no Shawn Bradley ROFL!

DrFate
09-30-2011, 09:47 AM

whatsgolden
09-30-2011, 09:54 AM
This was actually done once in NFL history.. I'm at work, so I don't have access to the resources to find out who it was or when. Sorry.

That's why it's illegal. It happened in a game. Pretty sure it was the 60s or 70s that it happened, maybe even before that .

It was in one of those old 1980's history of the NFL books that kids had...or at least that I had.

Pony Boy
09-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes out of bounds in the end zone.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. During regulation play, postscrimmage kick enforcement gives a safety by penalty. In extra periods, enforcement of the 15-yard penalty is at the previous spot
and Team A retains possession.

II. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes into the end zone and is recovered by Team A.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. The result of the play is a touchdown.

III. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes into the end zone and is recovered by Team B.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. The result of the play is a touchback, safety.

IV. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes into the field of play.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. During regulation play, postscrimmage kick enforcement gives a safety by penalty. The ball remains alive, and Team A may elect the result of the play. If Team A recovers, does not score and accepts the penalty, or if the play occurs in an extra period, enforcement is at the previous spot.

VII. Team A attempts a field goal, and B23, in the end zone, goes above the crossbar and catches the ball.

RULING: Legal play.

Update 2: But, what if you were up by three and could block the field goal attempt into the end zone and recover it yourself for a safety? Might be worth it still, no? (The game cannot end on a penalty, but then youd just have to defend a free kick return rather than a field goal attempt.)

t-diddy
09-30-2011, 10:27 AM

George Muresan approves of this post

smoke4815162342
09-30-2011, 10:31 AM
Maybe Dwight Howard will come play for the broncos if the nba lockout continues

jhns
09-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes out of bounds in the end zone.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. During regulation play, postscrimmage kick enforcement gives a safety by penalty. In extra periods, enforcement of the 15-yard penalty is at the previous spot
and Team A retains possession.

II. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes into the end zone and is recovered by Team A.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. The result of the play is a touchdown.
III. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes into the end zone and is recovered by Team B.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. The result of the play is a touchback, safety.
IV. Team A attempts a field goal from Team Bs 30-yard line. A Team B player in the end zone leaps above the crossbar and bats the ball in flight. The ball goes into the field of play.

RULING: Foul for batting the ball in the end zone. During regulation play, postscrimmage kick enforcement gives a safety by penalty. The ball remains alive, and Team A may elect the result of the play. If Team A recovers, does not score and accepts the penalty, or if the play occurs in an extra period, enforcement is at the previous spot.

VII. Team A attempts a field goal, and B23, in the end zone, goes above the crossbar and catches the ball.

RULING: Legal play.

Update 2: But, what if you were up by three and could block the field goal attempt into the end zone and recover it yourself for a safety? Might be worth it still, no? (The game cannot end on a penalty, but then youd just have to defend a free kick return rather than a field goal attempt.)

Good post. I was pretty sure it was illegal but had no clue what the rulings were if it happened. Interesting stuff.

DrFate
09-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Good post. I was pretty sure it was illegal but had no clue what the rulings were if it happened. Interesting stuff.

I posted the link for that in post #13 - those are NCAA rules

bronco militia
09-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Field Goal Defense

The defense can try to block the kick only at the line; it cannot attempt to bat down a field-goal attempt at the uprights like a goalie. If the defense commits a penalty during the attempt that results in a first down, the offense can maintain possession of the ball or keep the three points and have the penalty assessed on the following kickoff

outdoor_miner
09-30-2011, 10:41 AM
You can only block it at the line? What a dumb and totally random rule. I would love to watch guys back at the goal posts trying to jump and swat it down.

jhns
09-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Oh, obviously didn't read the entire thread.

So do we know if the NFL is different? Now you are going to make me read the thread.

DrFate
09-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Oh, obviously didn't read the entire thread.

So do we know if the NFL is different? Now you are going to make me read the thread.

read post #13 and save your time otherwise :)

jhns
09-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Field Goal Defense

The defense can try to block the kick only at the line; it cannot attempt to bat down a field-goal attempt at the uprights like a goalie. If the defense commits a penalty during the attempt that results in a first down, the offense can maintain possession of the ball or keep the three points and have the penalty assessed on the following kickoff

So is that a first from where they kicked? I like the NCAA rules.

jhns
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
read post #13 and save your time otherwise :)

Thanks for the links. It let me answer my last question.

According to the official NFL rulebook, the defensive team takes possession of the ball at the spot of the kick for all missed attempts beyond the 20-yard line. On missed attempts that come from inside the 20-yard line, the defense takes possession at the 20-yard line. After a successful field goal, the offensive team kicks off from the 30-yard line

ColoradoDarin
09-30-2011, 11:38 AM
So after reading the rules, you can "block" it at the goal posts, as long as you catch the football - I assume you have to come down with 2 feet in as well.

WolfpackGuy
09-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Just get one guy with another guy on his shoulders at the back of the end zone and hope the other team doesn't go all Brett Kern or Mike Scifres on you.

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 11:54 AM
You do understand how a vertical is measured don't you? There are plently of nfl players that could get high enough to get a foot above the crossbar. Nice try though.

A WHOLE FOOT?!?!?

OMG WOULD BLOCK SOOOOOOOOOOO MANY KICKSSSSSSSSS!

broncosteven
09-30-2011, 11:56 AM

EDIT: I just read the rules posted and apparently it is illegal batting? I guess as long as you catch it, its legal.

I wonder if they can throw my gallblatter stone (and or torn up gallblatter) at the ball while in play and knock it down that way?

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I wonder if they can throw my gallblatter stone (and or torn up gallblatter) at the ball while in play and knock it down that way?

Or can a fan throw your gallblatter stone from behind the EZ?

vancejohnson82
09-30-2011, 12:05 PM

so what if you go up to catch it and drop it, but in doing so you block it?

bowtown
09-30-2011, 12:05 PM
A WHOLE FOOT?!?!?

To be fair, that would be good enough to have blocked at least half of David Treadwell's kicks.

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 12:14 PM
To be fair, that would be good enough to have blocked at least half of David Treadwell's kicks.

The kicks that are long enough to potentially be blocked by someone leaping into the air have a MUCH better chance being blocked by that same someone with strong leaping ability at the LOS due to their low trajectory anyway. I just... this thread... I just... jesus

DrFate
09-30-2011, 12:21 PM

I've seen instances where fan-thrown snowballs hit in-flight footballs... (or tried to, at least)

broncosteven
09-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Or can a fan throw your gallblatter stone from behind the EZ?

Maybe I will hang onto it so I can throw it at mCd should he ever walk into my local library or I see him at my kids soccer games. Unless he rings the doorbell those are the only other places I would see him...

bronco militia
09-30-2011, 12:26 PM

for NASA guy, you don't seem to be very good at physics

Ha!

bowtown
09-30-2011, 12:37 PM
The kicks that are long enough to potentially be blocked by someone leaping into the air have a MUCH better chance being blocked by that same someone with strong leaping ability at the LOS due to their low trajectory anyway. I just... this thread... I just... jesus

Maybe not if they start on the ground but what's to keep them from starting the play standing on the crossbar... with a hockey stick? I don't see anything about that in the rules.

jutang
09-30-2011, 12:50 PM
NBA players gotta provide their child support somehow

DrFate
09-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Maybe not if they start on the ground but what's to keep them from starting the play standing on the crossbar... with a hockey stick? I don't see anything about that in the rules.

With a #1 foam finger ON TOP of the hockey stick... LOL

bendog
09-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Couldn't they dwarf throw the kicker at it?

DrFate
09-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Couldn't they dwarf throw the kicker at it?

Depends on the kicker. I wouldn't try to throw Janikowski, for example

bowtown
09-30-2011, 01:01 PM
We'd definitely be 3-0 if Tim Tebow was allowed to stand at the goal posts and block kicks.

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Lacrosse goalie stick? Ha!

alkemical
09-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Can't they just use those foam finger hand thingers?

bendog
09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Depends on the kicker. I wouldn't try to throw Janikowski, for example

True that. Kicking him might be fun though.

HILife
09-30-2011, 02:01 PM

/thread

Kobe?

Kaylore
09-30-2011, 02:09 PM
I just... this thread... I just... jesus

It paid off at Manute Bol.

bowtown
09-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Kobe?

He'd just end up trying to rape the kicker.

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 02:18 PM
He'd just end up trying to rape the kicker.

True. Kickers are generally white.

Deuce
09-30-2011, 02:33 PM
A WHOLE FOOT?!?!?

Back peddle much? The question was simple, was it legal? Your asinine response "Nobody can possibly jump higher than 10 feet" This statement is really all anybody needs to see to conclude that you are a true idiot. But you then go on to say that the only way one could get high enough was with a "running" start. The OP then showed that an average sized player with a decent vertical jump (which is measured, btw, without any running start or step at all) could easily get a foot over the crossbar.

He never asked if putting a player back there would "BLOCK SOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY KICKSSSSSSSSSS!" He was just asking a question which a lot of people in this thread have admitted they also had. Your increasingly childish responses only make you look extremely self conscious and pathetic. But keep up the good work, keep racking up that post count and soon enough you will have enough e-friends that you wont have to cry yourself to sleep.

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Back peddle much? The question was simple, was it legal? Your asinine response "Nobody can possibly jump higher than 10 feet" This statement is really all anybody needs to see to conclude that you are a true idiot. But you then go on to say that the only way one could get high enough was with a "running" start. The OP then showed that an average sized player with a decent vertical jump (which is measured, btw, without any running start or step at all) could easily get a foot over the crossbar.

He never asked if putting a player back there would "BLOCK SOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY KICKSSSSSSSSSS!" He was just asking a question which a lot of people in this thread have admitted they also had. Your increasingly childish responses only make you look extremely self conscious and pathetic. But keep up the good work, keep racking up that post count and soon enough you will have enough e-friends that you wont have to cry yourself to sleep.

Well, that wasn't actually my response, but more power to you. The point was it's ****ing stupid no matter if it's legal or not. Ha!

But hey, you're right and I apologize. A few people have the mixture of height and vertical leap to probably have a shot at blocking 1/50 kicks instead of taking a shot at blocking all of them. Sounds brilliant.

And clearly judging by my attitude, I am out to make e-friends. So you have me pegged there too bro.

This was a fantastic thread and now you and your boyfriend (OP) can hold go back to holding hands and skipping down "OMG WHAT IF..." road.

...Like the pair of phaggots you are. Btw, you misspelled "douche" in your username.

BroncsCheer
09-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Well, that wasn't actually my response, but more power to you. The point was it's ****ing stupid no matter if it's legal or not. Ha!

But hey, you're right and I apologize. A few people have the mixture of height and vertical leap to probably have a shot at blocking 1/50 kicks instead of taking a shot at blocking all of them. Sounds brilliant.

And clearly judging by my attitude, I am out to make e-friends. So you have me pegged there too bro.

This was a fantastic thread and now you and your boyfriend (OP) can hold go back to holding hands and skipping down "OMG WHAT IF..." road.

...Like the pair of phaggots you are. Btw, you misspelled "douche" in your username.

Nice - way to project your childish insecurities on to me Rev.
I had what has proven to be a legitimate question, based on a specific situation (a low trajectory kick) and you got pwned by posters (not me, but I doubt you'll re-read the thread to validate this) because of your know-it-all attitude leading you astray AGAIN, and you respond with homophobic slurs.

That pretty much it? Your contribution to the OM summed up in this thread?

Gotcha -
Have a nice life beef drapes.

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Nice - way to project your childish insecurities on to me Rev.
I had what has proven to be a legitimate question, based on a specific situation (a low trajectory kick) and you got pwned by posters (not me, but I doubt you'll re-read the thread to validate this) because of your know-it-all attitude leading you astray AGAIN, and you respond with homophobic slurs.

That pretty much it? Your contribution to the OM summed up in this thread?

Gotcha -
Have a nice life beef drapes.

Lol

I'm looking forward to your next thread.

Can I brain storm ideas for you?

"Playing 10 men on defense?"
"Can we freekick the ball every time?"
"What if we got Usain Bolt to play WR?!?!"
"Do we really need an offensive line or can we go 10 wide?"

GreatBronco16
09-30-2011, 02:57 PM
What if the ball is kicked, glances off a member of the offensive line, and then is batted down before crossing the crossbar?

mr007
09-30-2011, 03:16 PM
I think it would be awesome if your team was up by 3, someone tried to hit a 60+yd field goal and you had a badass tall receiver back there who intentionally blocked the kick. The refs would be like ummmm wtf are we supposed to do.

It's unlikely to happen but honestly I've seen enough kicks come really close to that crossbar and if the receiver actually taps it to himself and catches it, that would be bonkers.

maven
09-30-2011, 03:24 PM
I think it would be awesome if your team was up by 3, someone tried to hit a 60+yd field goal and you had a badass tall receiver back there who intentionally blocked the kick. The refs would be like ummmm wtf are we supposed to do.

It's unlikely to happen but honestly I've seen enough kicks come really close to that crossbar and if the receiver actually taps it to himself and catches it, that would be bonkers.

Interesting thread.

You can block a FG from the line of scrimmage, you can catch a football kicked by the FG kicker, but yet you can't block the ball near the goal posts? I wonder if this rule goes all the way back to when the goal posts were in the end zone.

BroncsCheer
09-30-2011, 03:30 PM
when they showed that replay of Janikowski's kick about 14 times during that MNF game, all I could think of is how easy it would have been for someone with the athletic ability to jump up there and swat it away.

Teams often put a return guy back there, especially on the long kicks, so if he happened to be tall, and a good jumper, he could have two assignments . . .

Anyways, looks like it's against the rules (most certainly because it's impossible :mullet2:) which is what I wanted to find out in the first place.

Goobzilla
09-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Check out R.C. Owens kids. He's the one who got it banned in the NFL late 50's early 60's. Yes, it wasn't physically impossible even 50 years ago.

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Check out R.C. Owens kids. He's the one who got it banned in the NFL late 50's early 60's. Yes, it wasn't physically impossible even 50 years ago.

Not gonna lie I lol'd at that.

cutthemdown
09-30-2011, 07:17 PM
It's illegal but not a bad idea.

baja
09-30-2011, 07:24 PM
a guy on a mini trampoline with a pool cleaning net could do it.

That One Guy
09-30-2011, 07:53 PM

Stop trying to steal his thunder.

That One Guy
09-30-2011, 07:55 PM
so what if you go up to catch it and drop it, but in doing so you block it?

I've seen instances where fan-thrown snowballs hit in-flight footballs... (or tried to, at least)

LOL

I love the appreciation for almost in this thread.

'What if he tried to catch it... but didn't? Does he get partial credit?'

'I've seen someone hit a moving ball with a snowball!... well, he got close!'

This evening, after class, I ran 5 miles then played a soccer game where I scored 14 goals by myself... Well, I almost did.

White Dragon
09-30-2011, 08:58 PM
There actually is nothing in the NFL rule book about this happening. The rules quoted were NCAA rules.

cutthemdown
09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
even if it is legal I was thinking it probably wouldn't work very often. The ball coming in so fast, your jumping up, the best you do is probably make it go further by tipping it up. To get high enough to actually swat the thing would almost be impossible I think. Maybe a 7 footer could do it.

TheReverend
09-30-2011, 09:20 PM
even if it is legal I was thinking it probably wouldn't work very often. The ball coming in so fast, your jumping up, the best you do is probably make it go further by tipping it up. To get high enough to actually swat the thing would almost be impossible I think. Maybe a 7 footer could do it.

Woooooooooooooah bro.

Don't say that. Some people will break out their calculators and try to figure out the possibility of managing to do it on extremely close kicks

Ratboy
09-30-2011, 11:22 PM

Play this in Korea.

Believe it or not, it's fun.

maven
09-30-2011, 11:31 PM

That would be badass to hit a FG with a snow ball and knock it down.

Hilarious!

KipCorrington25
09-30-2011, 11:59 PM
It was once legal, I recall Louis Wright jumping under the cross bar in the late 70's trying to block a kick but couldn't get high enough to reach it.

ZONA
10-02-2011, 12:42 AM
If you had a good jumper, it's possible for him to run and jump with 1 hand up to "gather" the ball and bring it down to his other hand or body in which he could control it. That's technically still a catch, as long as the ball does not hit the ground. You see ball players do this all the time with Alley-oop. They catch that bad boy with 1 hand and flush it down. Granted, not many NFL players can get up as high as those NBA guys but there are a few. lol.

cutthemdown
10-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Woooooooooooooah bro.

Don't say that. Some people will break out their calculators and try to figure out the possibility of managing to do it on extremely close kicks

LOL no doubt. By impossible I mean you would only see it once in a blue moon, meanwhile you are down a man and vulnerable to a fake. Or one less guy to block it.

I would think a coach would say my 11th man has a better chance blocking it at the LOS, as a long kick is often flat, then he would trying to Wilt Chamberlian it at the goalpost.

Vine
10-02-2011, 10:36 AM
You can only block it at the line? What a dumb and totally random rule. I would love to watch guys back at the goal posts trying to jump and swat it down.

^This

cutthemdown
10-02-2011, 10:58 AM
I still say unless it was last play of the game, no threat of a fake, that having only 10 men on the LOS for the kick would put you at a big disadvantage. It's better to try and block it at the LOS.

BroncsCheer
09-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Bump.
This is a thread I started. On Sunday Akers kicked one that could have been blocked, but the player did the right thing and avoided it.

Funny thread, this one. Janikowski kicked on that made me think of it, and it became this big bitchslapping event.

Good times......

ol#7
09-14-2012, 01:25 AM
Bump.
This is a thread I started. On Sunday Akers kicked one that could have been blocked, but the player did the right thing and avoided it.

Funny thread, this one. Janikowski kicked on that made me think of it, and it became this big b****slapping event.

Good times......

I think your wrong about that. The GB player most certainly did jump up at the goal post to try and get that kick, but misjudged how it was coming down as he was falling away from the ball.

ghwk
09-14-2012, 04:07 AM
This thread was doing well until it veered away from the use of turtles, after that it seemed to lose focus. Almost.

extralife
09-14-2012, 04:18 AM
the best part of this thread is rev having never heard of basketball, and then screaming like a child.

Meck77
09-14-2012, 04:42 AM

I actually thought this was the funniest part of the thread.

pokenation
09-14-2012, 06:27 AM
im still not sure why rev, thinking that this thread was so dumb, got so invested in it? but whatever........

TheReverend
09-14-2012, 06:37 AM
1. Speaking of San Fran - physical freak Vernon Davis gave a great exhibition of the feasibility of this thread concept last Sunday

2. This:

I think your wrong about that. The GB player most certainly did jump up at the goal post to try and get that kick, but misjudged how it was coming down as he was falling away from the ball.

3. I adore my fans:

the best part of this thread is rev having never heard of basketball, and then screaming like a child.

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Saw this over at PFT and was thinking it was different than every rule explanation I've heard:

– Goaltending is against the rules in football, not just basketball: A player who jumps up and touches a ball as it is about to go through the goal posts in an attempt to block a field goal is flagged for goaltending, a 15-yard penalty. This came up when 49ers kicker David Akers (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/721/david-akers) hit the crossbar with his record-tying 63-yard field goal, and Packers receiver Randall Cobb (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6497/randall-cobb) jumped up and just missed knocking the ball away.