PDA

View Full Version : Next Bronco in the Hall of Fame?

The Moops
09-29-2011, 09:44 AM
With the 2012 Hall of Fame preliminary list announced, I asked Jeff Legwold and other HOF voters who will be the next Bronco in the HOF.

http://bit.ly/jWV7tK

Gort
09-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Tim Tebow.

:)

TailgateNut
09-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Nothing like having that "dude" mentioned in every post. .

BroncoMan4ever
09-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Champ is most likely. Or Gradishar on the senior ballot in my opinion

Ray Finkle
09-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Ed REED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait, wrong thread...

Garcia Bronco
09-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Ed REED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait, wrong thread...

But it could be the right thread, but the dip**** took a WR from Hawaii. ****ing Hawaii. They are pussies out there.

NEBronco
09-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Gradishar should already be inducted in my opinion and would be if he played for the Steelers, Packers or Cowboys.
I think TD, Atwater and Smith should as well but realize they will face an uphill battle due to injuries for TD, Atwater becuase of the position he played and for Smith not having the elite numbers year in and year out.

Lestat
09-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Gradishar should be, but more than likely it'll be Champ Bailey.

TheDave
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Does Atwater ever get a sniff?

crush17
09-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Atwater deserves it most out of the players listed. No question.

Pony Boy
09-29-2011, 01:28 PM
This guy is in my personal HOF

bronco militia
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
interesting....

Dan Reeves also was named to this year's preliminary list. He guided the Broncos to

3 Super Bowls in 4 years, losing all of them. In 1998, he led the Atlanta Falcons to the

team's first Super Bowl appearance ever. He lost, of course, to his old team. Despite

those heartbreaking losses, Reeves was one of the greatest coaches of his generation.

His 190 career wins remains 8th best in NFL history. In fact, Reeves still has 36 more

career wins than Mike Shanahan and more Ws than Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Bud

Grant and Joe Gibbs. If Marv Levy is in the HOF for losing 4 Super Bowls, then Reeves

should receive heavy consideration for doing the same. Unfortunately, even the Broncos

overlook his achievements. He's not even a member of the team's Ring of Fame.

bendog
09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Tebow. (we needed to turn this tebow)

PRBronco
09-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Nails deserves it imo.

Agamemnon
09-29-2011, 01:59 PM
interesting....

Dan Reeves also was named to this year's preliminary list. He guided the Broncos to

3 Super Bowls in 4 years, losing all of them. In 1998, he led the Atlanta Falcons to the

team's first Super Bowl appearance ever. He lost, of course, to his old team. Despite

those heartbreaking losses, Reeves was one of the greatest coaches of his generation.

His 190 career wins remains 8th best in NFL history. In fact, Reeves still has 36 more

career wins than Mike Shanahan and more Ws than Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Bud

Grant and Joe Gibbs. If Marv Levy is in the HOF for losing 4 Super Bowls, then Reeves

should receive heavy consideration for doing the same. Unfortunately, even the Broncos

Losing Super Bowls was one thing, but Dan Reeves was the master of getting completely blown out in them. Hell we blew him out in a Super Bowl once he was coaching another team. There's a reason most Bronco fans don't think much of Reeves. All the guy ever really did was weigh Elway down with unimaginative coaching.

Gort
09-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Tim Tebow.

:)

i got neg repped for this because one member couldn't see it was a joke (and a fairly obvious one at that).

of course Tebow is not next in the HOF. even though i'd like to see him play, i can also see the over-the-top expectations some have for him as being humor worthy.

so, good job missingnumber7. for now on, i'll call you missingaclue.

spdirty
09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
i got neg repped for this because one member couldn't see it was a joke (and a fairly obvious one at that).

of course Tebow is not next in the HOF. even though i'd like to see him play, i can also see the over-the-top expectations some have for him as being humor worthy.

He Neg repped you cuz you were wrong. It's obvious our next hall of famer will be Andrew Luck. :-)

Rohirrim
09-29-2011, 03:31 PM
interesting....

Elway took us to those SBs, in spite of Dan "futbawl" Reeves coaching.

Gort
09-29-2011, 03:31 PM
He Neg repped you cuz you were wrong. It's obvious our next hall of famer will be Andrew Luck. :-)

oh noes!! you didn't explicitly show that you were being facetious. better fix that before "missingaclue" neg reps you too!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpbafaVkLp1qgkyrno1_500.jpg

bronco militia
09-29-2011, 03:34 PM
I didn't have a problem with Reeves until he left and brought up his relationship with Elway and Shanny at Superbowl 33. Except the superbowls, those were great days to be a Broncos fan.

John Fox wishes he was as innovative as Dan Reeves.

Rohirrim
09-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Here's my pick. The best all around RB of all time:

http://youtu.be/RTza50UcbGo

Gort
09-29-2011, 03:42 PM
being serious for a moment, what about Elam?

he was at least as good as Jan Stenerud.

Elam.
428 of 527 on FGs (81.2%)
675 of 679 on PAT

Stenerud.
373 of 558 on FGs (66.8%)
580 of 601 on PAT

~Crash~
09-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Terrell Davis he is great friends with all the NFL.NET people he was the best RB Denver has ever had and was breaking NFL records in yards total in a season. he was and I believe still is record holder in the play offs . that is domination.

TheDave
09-29-2011, 03:50 PM

That almost brought a tear to my eye... Mostly because of the telent difference between then and now.

Sorry for the unnecessary reality check,

but the talent on display in those highlights is just awesome. (think of how badly the 98 broncos destroy this team)

Now... not so much

~Crash~
09-29-2011, 03:50 PM
interesting....

Reeves will go in that is for sure IMO his whole work as a player and Coach should get him there . him and Ditca are good buddies would be good fun for them

Punisher
09-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Randy Gradishar

~Crash~
09-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Gradishar Atwatter Smith will get in but might take time... meck will have a long wait but might get in sooner or latter

OBF1
09-29-2011, 03:57 PM

The very end of the clip, seeing the Mile High salute brings a tear to my eye. Watch this video clip and tell me you think Knowshon is worth a sh it.

OBF1
09-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Atwater deserves it most out of the players listed. No question.

I question if you were around to see Randy Gradishar play football back in the 70's. The guy was flat out sick... Next to Elway, no one that ever wore a Bronco's uniform deserves to be in the HOF more than Randy.

~Crash~
09-29-2011, 04:00 PM

And I think you are right.:sunshine:

Bronco Yoda
09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mp_FcUiqAEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bronco Yoda
09-29-2011, 06:23 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1iLDRiADQEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Agamemnon
09-29-2011, 06:53 PM
John Fox wishes he was as innovative as Dan Reeves.

This one sentence is soooo depressing...

Agamemnon
09-29-2011, 06:55 PM
being serious for a moment, what about Elam?

he was at least as good as Jan Stenerud.

Elam.
428 of 527 on FGs (81.2%)
675 of 679 on PAT

Stenerud.
373 of 558 on FGs (66.8%)
580 of 601 on PAT

He was way better than Stenerud. Unfortunately kickers have a hard time getting into the HoF, save for a few fluke exceptions.

Arkie
09-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Hard-hitting Broncos safety Steve Atwater is the No. 9 most feared tackler of all time.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-top-ten/09000d5d811174ad/Top-Ten-Most-Feared-Tacklers-Steve-Atwater

rugbythug
09-29-2011, 07:41 PM
This guy is in my personal HOF

Eric Decker is not even retired yet.

gunns
09-29-2011, 07:44 PM

He's my definite second but Gradishar needs to get in. To me it's a travesty neither are in. And as far as Rod Smith he had similar stats to Michael Irvin. He just didn't have his big fat mouth.

rmsanger
09-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Andrew Luck

TailgateNut
09-30-2011, 11:09 AM
The very end of the clip, seeing the Mile High salute brings a tear to my eye. Watch this video clip and tell me you think Knowshon is worth a sh it.

Comparing those two is making me Hilarious!

Pick Six
09-30-2011, 02:05 PM

Some people need to chill out. It's just a game...

dsmoot
09-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Losing Super Bowls was one thing, but Dan Reeves was the master of getting completely blown out in them. Hell we blew him out in a Super Bowl once he was coaching another team. There's a reason most Bronco fans don't think much of Reeves. All the guy ever really did was weigh Elway down with unimaginative coaching.

The Superbowl record will not allow him in the HOF. However, his record while Denver Bronco HC qualifies him election into the Ring of Fame. He did bring the Broncos to a sustained high level of performance for a number of years and he deserves considerable recognition and appreciation for that. I did not disagree with his handling of Elway during his development ... he actually handled that well. When Elway matured and was capable of handling a more wide open offense to take advantage of his skills, Reeves missed the boat. His ego, the failure to win the big game and his inability to restock the team following the Superbowls ultimately resulted in his blaming Elway for the Bronco short comings in the early 90's. Of course, we saw the same ego issues with Shanahan just before his departure.

I am thankful for Dan Reeves tenure as head coach. He brought winning, stability and elevated the Broncos into one of most respected organizations in the NFL. Its just sad that it ended like it did with his losing perspective and not being able to evolve the team into the early 90's.

I equally respect the contribution that John Ralston brought to the Broncos during his time as head coach but that is another conversation.

BroncoBuff
10-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Jim Saccomano blogged on this question couple days ago:

Earlier this week the Pro Football Hall of Fame released its preliminary list of candidates for induction in 2012.

There are 102 candidates on this list, which will be whittled down to 25 in mid-November, then to the final list of 15 which will be voted on by the selection committee the Saturday before the Super Bowl in Indianapolis.

Everyone on this list has had notable accomplishments. That’s how they made the list. On the list for the first time is wide receiver Rod Smith.

The easiest guy to overlook is somebody named Smith, but that should not happen in the case of the prolific Denver Broncos wide receiver.

The National Football League is a complete meritocracy. The best players play, regardless of whether one was the very first selection in the draft or a completely ignored, undrafted player—like Rod Smith.

When the 1994 college draft took place the 32 NFL teams selected 29 wide receivers, but none took a flyer on Smith, coming out of Missouri Southern with a triple major off the field and unbridled passion to succeed on it.

The Broncos signed Smith as a “UFA”—undrafted free agent, in football lingo.

There are 14 current members of the Hall of Fame who were undrafted, and Smith is deserving of being number 15 on that distinguished list.

Wide receiver is a position at which a lot of players accumulate a lot of stats in this day and age, so the question is, what distinguishes Rod Smith, what separates him from the pack?

Consider this:

Of all the wide receivers who have ever played pro football, Rod Smith is one of just two—and Jerry Rice is the only other—to have accumulated over 11,000 receiving yards, over 800 receptions, over 60 touchdowns, while also averaging 10 or more wins a year, and also winning multiple Super Bowls.

Just think—everyone is eligible, but it has only been done twice.

Once by Jerry Rice.

Once by Rod Smith.

That’s the complete list.

Smith’s exact stats upon retirement were 11,389 yards on 849 catches for 68 TDs and a 10.5 yard per catch average. Meanwhile, he was a vital contributor to a Broncos team that went 126-70 (a .643 percentage) from 1995 through 2006.

The Broncos of course won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1997 and 1998 and had a 33-6 record for those two years. Just chew on that record awhile and let it sink in.

To top it off, Smith was a team captain and one of the greatest leaders I have ever had the privilege of being around in 34 NFL years. He was the captain’s captain. All about team.

The wins, the team success, are what separate Rod Smith’s stats from those being put up by a lot of players in lesser situations.

It’s a results-oriented business, right? It’s all about winning, right?

Not only are his stats the greatest ever posted by a free agent in NFL history, but he did them all as he helped his team reach the only goal there is—to go to and win the Super Bowl, in his case, back to back.

When you are a wide receiver and a member of an exclusive club that only has two members, and the other one is Jerry Rice, you are sailing in the stratosphere of accomplishment.

Those are the stats, and they make Rod Smith a worthy addition to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/

The Moops
10-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I think Rod Smith will be a HOFer someday. But it may take 10 years.

There's such a glut of highly productive receivers waiting for Canton to call, after Cris Carter, Tim Brown and Andre Reed get in, then there will be discussion about the Jimmy Smiths, Marvin Harrisons, Isaac Bruces, TOs, Mosses and even Henry Ellards along with Rod.

The thing that should get him over the top is not his being an undrafted free agent, but his 2 Super Bowl wins. When it comes to HOF voting, the committee loves Super Bowl winners.

oubronco
10-03-2011, 10:05 AM
http://www.1043thefan.com/Pics/theDrive2011/steveatwater.jpg