PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, I wrote a novel! And its out today.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Excuse this thread of self promotion, but considering I spend much of my time trolling this board (on a daily basis), I do feel apart of a community and would like to share something that’s incredibly important to me with you guys (and gals).

I wrote a novel! And someone was dumb enough to publish it! And it came out today. I promise you this is hardly some boring math textbook, or some non-fiction book about obscure 14th century French history. It’s a fun fiction book that would probably be the perfect companion for an international flight.

Here is the Amazon link (it will also be available in Kindle in the next few weeks, if you prefer that.) And look for it at Barnes and Noble and other bookstores in the coming months. http://www.amazon.com/My-Sweet-Saga-Brett-Sills/dp/0615532136/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317102074&sr=8-1

If nothing else, it would mean the world to me if you could “like” the book on Facebook, where I can annoy you with updates in hopes that you buy it soon. http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Sweet-Saga/170371449710646?sk=wall

And I apologize if I bump this, Mods please don’t kick it to one of those sub folders nobody reads.

Support a fellow maner? I promise there are no commie rants in it. But there's some sex, boobs, and cursing. We like those things right?

** The kindle version should be avail in 3 weeks I'm told. I don't know why its not avail now.

Agamemnon
09-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Congratulations. Actually finishing a novel is quite a feat. Actually getting it published is just amazing.

BowlenBall
09-27-2011, 08:10 AM
I think the guy with the best name on the Mane deserves a little support. As long as he promises to add some commie rants into his second novel....

Very cool, Son of Le-lo, very cool indeed!

Rohirrim
09-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Good for you! I'm in the middle of one myself. Buona fortuna!

BroncoInferno
09-27-2011, 08:28 AM
Very cool, sir. I'm attempting to write one myself (been at it for about a year now), and finishing one is no small feat, let alone actually finding a publisher. Good job :thumbsup:

SonOfLe-loLang
09-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys! Unfortunately the larger publishing houses balked at it, as they do with most lad-lit these days, though i had many conversations with Harper Collins about it, but an indie picked it up.

I hope you buy it and enjoy it!

jhns
09-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Getting published is pretty cool. I'd buy it but I haven't read a non-technical book since college.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Getting published is pretty cool. I'd buy it but I haven't read a non-technical book since college.

No time like the present!

gunns
09-27-2011, 09:49 AM
That is really cool! No small feat writing it and getting it published. The editorial review was interesting and I will try and pick it up. Good luck!

That One Guy
09-27-2011, 09:58 AM
If you want to save time and feel accomplished, shoot me the .doc file and I'll plaster it on Pirate boards. You've not made it until someone's pirating your work.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-27-2011, 10:23 AM
If you want to save time and feel accomplished, shoot me the .doc file and I'll plaster it on Pirate boards. You've not made it until someone's pirating your work.

haha...how about a pdf?

ColoradoDarin
09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Whatever, I only read 14th century French history (drop weapon, run away, rinse, repeat, fart in your general direction, taunt you a 2nd time).

PS Congrats!

theAPAOps5
09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Awesome accomplishment! Once out on Kindle I will definitely give it a read.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Awesome accomplishment! Once out on Kindle I will definitely give it a read.

Thanks! ill let you know! Or like it on FB and receive updates from there? Thanks everyone!

Rock Chalk
09-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Support a fellow maner? I promise there are no commie rants in it. But there's some sex, boobs, and cursing. We like those things right?

:worthless

Goobzilla
09-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Good for you! I'm in the middle of one myself. Buona fortuna!

I'm sure we're all looking forward to the release of "Sundays with Kyle: A Love Story" :wiggle:

24champ
09-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Congrats! I think the only other poster on here that got published was TheRev.

It's an inexpensive book, and man we need to get you higher than # 20,550 on the Amazon best seller list.

Crushaholic
09-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Congratulations, Brett. I've always felt like I have a little novelist inside of me, but I never pursued it. This may give me the motivation to actually do something about it.... :thumbsup:

Crushaholic
09-27-2011, 02:13 PM

It's an inexpensive book, and man we need to get you higher than # 20,550 on the Amazon best seller list.

MHGaffney is always hawking his conspiracy book. However, it's a conspiracy book. Therefore, it doesn't count...8')

SonOfLe-loLang
09-27-2011, 02:31 PM

haha is that where i am right now? ugh, i cant look at that it'll depress me:) It only came out a few hours ago though! haha

Thanks again guys! I sincerely hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think of it.

TailgateNut
09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Spam!

Gort
09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
well, somebody has to be a jerk and post one of these... might as well be me.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8AYDf5rDsEg/TMJPh8MneNI/AAAAAAAABJA/zI2H0gEdie8/s1600/fw0kjn.gif

yes, this is just my lame attempt at humor. :)

Rock Chalk
09-27-2011, 05:44 PM
I read the premise. Probably wont buy it. Just being honest. Do wish you well though and congrats on the first of hopefully many novels.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-27-2011, 06:56 PM
I read the premise. Probably wont buy it. Just being honest. Do wish you well though and congrats on the first of hopefully many novels.

haha it doesn't scream Alec, but I do appreciate the well wishes. Thank you!

Perry1977
09-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Grats dude! Can you send me a signed, first print copy, along with a lock of hair?

Haha! Seriously though, nice work, maybe I will pick it up. I just don't read much.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lleikpu8hq1qz6f4bo1_500.jpg

Jay3
09-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Congratulations. How did you get it published?

SonOfLe-loLang
09-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Grats dude! Can you send me a signed, first print copy, along with a lock of hair?

Haha! Seriously though, nice work, maybe I will pick it up. I just don't read much.

You should give it a shot! It's hardly a piece of lit fiction. It'll make ya laugh, i promise

SonOfLe-loLang
09-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Congratulations. How did you get it published?

I am a writer by trade, though all my success has been in the ad world/screenwriting world. This was just a transition from that, my manager set stuff up. A small indie press in LA picked it up, so the book is up against some serious competition, but hopefully people buy it and enjoy it!

Kaylore
09-28-2011, 05:16 AM

LOL

Congrats to LeLo! This is pretty cool for me since I was able to meet you in person. ^5

Garcia Bronco
09-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Nice!

DarkHorse30
09-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Props to a major accomplishment. How long does it take a writer to finish a hefty novel (450+ pages)? Do you write screenplays as well?

baja
09-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Hope your book takes off son of LL

I am going fishing with Oprah tomorrow I'll plug your book to her. I'll bait her hook ;-)

SonOfLe-loLang
09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Hope your book takes off son of LL

I am going fishing with Oprah tomorrow I'll plug your book to her. I'll bait her hook ;-)

haha tell shanny too!

SonOfLe-loLang
09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Props to a major accomplishment. How long does it take a writer to finish a hefty novel (450+ pages)? Do you write screenplays as well?

The first draft took about 5 months...then a few months of editing. Its 450 pages, but in a diff format, it'd be less. Its 90k words. I do write screenplays...first flick is on track to shoot this winter, but as with indie film, who knows.

SouthStndJunkie
09-28-2011, 04:48 PM
That's awesome....I'll buy a copy one of these days and read it.

Congrats.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-28-2011, 04:50 PM
That's awesome....I'll buy a copy one of these days and read it.

Congrats.

SoCalBronco
09-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Congrats man...that's a great achievement! :)

Requiem
09-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Congratulations, this is a great thing for you!

TheReverend
10-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Holy crap how did I not see this till now? I swear stickying threads has the exact opposite effect for me.

Congrats man! You're a great guy and deserve an accomplishment like this.

Feel free to PM me if you need help with anything?

Did you get an agent or just free lance submit?

Aw man I could've really helped you with some people I know now... not to mention how frustrating the query process can be. And the following proposal process can be even worse.

Since it's your first, you might want to consider making some publicist friends that will use their contacts to send out press releases on your behalf for free. When I was a puppy I banged one for mine to get into a bunch of magazines lol (serious).

Anyway, congrats and feel free to hit me up :)

SonOfLe-loLang
10-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Hey guys!

So the Kindle Version has just been released (woo!) And its only 5.99...so if you have a kindle and are lookin for a fun read...please consider my book!

http://www.amazon.com/My-Sweet-Saga-ebook/dp/B005VGO162/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318579108&sr=8-2

theAPAOps5
10-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Just purchased for Kindle on my iPad! Will move it up in read list.

Did Deamon Eagle make your cover! It is awesome!

SonOfLe-loLang
10-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Just purchased for Kindle on my iPad! Will move it up in read list.

Did Deamon Eagle make your cover! It is awesome!

Thanks man! I have no clue who made the cover actually! I had a small part in designing the concept of it (i just wanted the stick figs and big letters) but im not sure who actually designed it.

Miss I.
10-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Hey guys!

So the Kindle Version has just been released (woo!) And its only 5.99...so if you have a kindle and are lookin for a fun read...please consider my book!

http://www.amazon.com/My-Sweet-Saga-ebook/dp/B005VGO162/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318579108&sr=8-2

Got it. will start reading it just as soon as I recover from whatever it is I did last night. ;D

SonOfLe-loLang
10-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Got it. will start reading it just as soon as I recover from whatever it is I did last night. ;D

hahaha awesome! I hope you enjoy...and i promise no Tebow references

Play2win
10-14-2011, 11:23 AM

Thats basically my story, too. I sure do miss my Hemmingways, though.

TerrElway
10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Liked it up for you on FB dude.

I'm writing one myself right now but it's sci-fi. No one but my kids will ever ready it I'm sure but what the hell right?

I think it would be easier to publish a book if you have zombies and vampires in it since EVERYTHING has zombies and vampires these days. BLECH!

SonOfLe-loLang
10-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Liked it up for you on FB dude.

I'm writing one myself right now but it's sci-fi. No one but my kids will ever ready it I'm sure but what the hell right?

I think it would be easier to publish a book if you have zombies and vampires in it since EVERYTHING has zombies and vampires these days. BLECH!

Thats for certain. If you can write a "paranormal romance" its much easier

Chris
10-16-2011, 07:25 AM
As someone that just went to Stockholm this summer, I think visiting Sweden is sure to cause any life-crisis (quarter if you're my age, eight if you're younger, doesn't matter). The women are like sirens that stay beautiful even on close examination and they want to sleep with you and then kick you to the curb next day. Fine by me.

I'll try to pick it up. Congratulations Bret the hitman Sills Ellis.

Hamrob
10-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Wow...there certainly is a lot of talent on this board! Congrats man!

I'll be sure to pick it up and give it a read!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

SonOfLe-loLang
10-16-2011, 09:44 AM
As someone that just went to Stockholm this summer, I think visiting Sweden is sure to cause any life-crisis (quarter if you're my age, eight if you're younger, doesn't matter). The women are like sirens that stay beautiful even on close examination and they want to sleep with you and then kick you to the curb next day. Fine by me.

Amen to that. God bless them all.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Hey guys,

here's an article I wrote for a travel blog re: the inspiration for the novel. Hope you check it out!

http://www.worldwinder.com/2011/10/19/how-a-handful-of-pills-a-swedish-girl-the-beautiful-city-of-stockholm-and-a-wild-imagination-became-a-novel/

Rohirrim
10-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey guys,

here's an article I wrote for a travel blog re: the inspiration for the novel. Hope you check it out!

http://www.worldwinder.com/2011/10/19/how-a-handful-of-pills-a-swedish-girl-the-beautiful-city-of-stockholm-and-a-wild-imagination-became-a-novel/

That was an inspiring read. Thanks. :thumbs:

colonelbeef
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Awesome man, congrats!

Crushaholic
11-10-2011, 11:05 AM
A couple of days ago, I went to Barnes & Noble to pick up the book. They said they didn't carry it. I guess I'll have to settle for Amazon, even though I'm kind of a traditionalist. I like going into a book store and buying a book...

SonOfLe-loLang
11-10-2011, 11:30 AM
A couple of days ago, I went to Barnes & Noble to pick up the book. They said they didn't carry it. I guess I'll have to settle for Amazon, even though I'm kind of a traditionalist. I like going into a book store and buying a book...

Yeah, its not all Barnes and Noble brick and mortar...its in select ones, though thats weird, its DEFINITELY in their system for sure. You can buy it through B&N online for certain. Its available online through any major retailer, independent bookstores, and even being sold in Sweden now (which probably won't help any of you.) The book is published through a small indie press, so outreach is limited unfortunately. Reviews have been great though!

But thanks for the support!

Also, for those curious, i guest write for a travel blog now and again...check this out if interested: http://www.worldwinder.com/2011/11/10/notes-from-a-sometimes-judgmental-tourist-the-annoying-supporters-of-pisa/

Punisher
11-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Congrats on your novel I just purchased it on Amazon

errand
11-14-2011, 10:21 AM
I just finished a book this week...took me a few months...the surprise ending was really cool.

at the end, the main character actually loved Green Eggs and Ham.

SonOfLe-loLang
11-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Hey guys!

So the book has gotten a ton of great reviews, but check this one out by some book blogger! http://filmvsbook.blogspot.com/2011/11/top-five-books-of-2011.html

If you're in the market for a good read, i hope you consider my book. It'll make ya laugh, i think you'll enjoy it~!

bronco610
11-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Congrats!!! Soon as this semester is over I will definetly pick up a copy from amazon and read it.

McDman
11-21-2011, 05:43 AM
What book di Rev write?

Miss I.
10-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Interesting thing I learned about Stockholm when I was there earlier this year, they have the highest per capita single, educated, financially independent women. I wonder if the education factor plays at any way into tossing dudes to the curb when done with them. ;D tee hee

I fell in love with the place, but I was there in decent weather, chilly but not blinding winter or anything (having been to Norway in winter I can guess Sweden is somewhat similar).

At any rate brother, finally finished the book, actually while I was in Sweden in April. It was a fun book. it make me cry, made me laugh, punch some strangers, it was brilliant.

Seriously though, good stuff. Now I will follow up by writing you a review on Amazon. I only wish I had the paper copy someday you could sign it. hard to sign an Ipad.

and next is reading Rev's book, but I feel like with your book I could drink a nice Belgian beer or a wine, but with Rev I feel like it might require something more butch like single malt whiskey or something.

Thanks again. It was fun and I thoroughly enjoyed the read, particularly the gratuitous nudity.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Interesting thing I learned about Stockholm when I was there earlier this year, they have the highest per capita single, educated, financially independent women. I wonder if the education factor plays at any way into tossing dudes to the curb when done with them. ;D tee hee

I fell in love with the place, but I was there in decent weather, chilly but not blinding winter or anything (having been to Norway in winter I can guess Sweden is somewhat similar).

At any rate brother, finally finished the book, actually while I was in Sweden in April. It was a fun book. it make me cry, made me laugh, punch some strangers, it was brilliant.

Seriously though, good stuff. Now I will follow up by writing you a review on Amazon. I only wish I had the paper copy someday you could sign it. hard to sign an Ipad.

and next is reading Rev's book, but I feel like with your book I could drink a nice Belgian beer or a wine, but with Rev I feel like it might require something more butch like single malt whiskey or something.

Thanks again. It was fun and I thoroughly enjoyed the read, particularly the gratuitous nudity.

Thanks! Means a lot that you read and enjoyed! The book has performed pretty well and has given me some extra cash for more traveling. I really need to finish the draft for my next novel, which is much diff.

And thanks for an amazon review!! those always help :)