PDA

View Full Version : Take the 3 or go for it

Vine
09-25-2011, 02:23 PM
This is going to be a poll.

Before we rush off to a rash vote, please read the pro's and con's of either choice and consider carefully.

Kick the FG:

Pro's:

1) Practically an automatic 3 points as it's extra-point distance.
2) 3 points gives Denver a full touchdown lead.

Con's:

1) Giving up perfect field position to take 3 points.
2) 3 points does not push the margin to a 2 possession game.

Go for touchdown:

Pro's:

1) Being successful will give Denver an 11 point lead which will dramatically increase Denver's chances of victory.
2) Being unsuccessful leaves Denver in perfect field position.

Con's:

1) Being unsuccessful will leave Denver with just a 4 point lead. A touchdown by the other team will give them the lead.

Please vote!!!

RhymesayersDU
09-25-2011, 02:28 PM
Go for it with a better play call.

Play2win
09-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Just call an other play than the one they called.

Vine
09-25-2011, 02:30 PM

100% agree. This is purely a poll to see if the general public would go for it, not a poll about the actual play call.

Williams
09-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Go for it with Tebow.

Wes Mantooth
09-25-2011, 02:32 PM
right call, just didn't work. Remember there were about 20 offensive plays after that one!

McDman
I don't mind the call to go for it but the play call was terrible.

The play calling was bad all day. How many mother effing draws do we need to run to realize they don't work?!

Rock Chalk
4th down take the 3.

1st, 2nd, 3rd down do something else. Tebow 1st and goal from the 2? WTF is the problem here?

Low scoring games like this you always take the points, never leave them out there.

The Joker
09-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Kick.

Our interior line isn't very good and it's a low scoring game where both teams have struggled to get in the endzone.

Also, we had all the momentum and gave it away.

Easy to say in hindsight, but I hated seeing us lining up to do it. We're not a good running team, it was never a good idea.

chanesaw
09-25-2011, 02:38 PM
If only we had a secret weapon we could bring into the game during situations like that. A player with a real knack for scoring touchdowns. Then it would make sense to go for it. Considering our usual production in the red zone it makes more sense to kick the field goal.

maven
09-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Take the 3. Pretty f'n simple call in a low scoring football game. Denver up 17-10. Take the f'n points!

NUB
09-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Kick it. Don't take free points off the board. They could have also slotted Tebow in there as he is pretty much money at the goalline like that. Anything but running it over and over would have been fine, really.

DrFate
09-25-2011, 02:46 PM
You normally don't expect the defense to give up 99 yard drives...

With this team, maybe they shouldn't assume...

OBF1
09-25-2011, 02:48 PM
You play for the win, not the tie. I like that we went for it, The play calling/personel totally sucks.

Aftermath
09-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Go for it, and run ANY play EXCEPT the one that they ran.

Agamemnon
09-25-2011, 02:54 PM
You always take the free points. Especially in a low scoring game where your offense is struggling. I can't believe anyone thinks otherwise.

Rohirrim
09-25-2011, 02:55 PM
I agree with the idea of going for it. But I also have to agree with the puzzlement at not using Tebow. Hell, put him in as a FB just to confuse the D. The play call was vanilla and right into the teeth of the D's strength. I'm starting to question the team's stubborness about using Tebow. I hate to say it, but McD drew up some pretty damn inventive plays to use Tebow. Doesn't look like Fox has that kind of talent.

Vine
09-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Take the 3. Pretty f'n simple call in a low scoring football game. Denver up 17-10. Take the f'n points!

Is not a simple call. If you read the pro's and con's you would admit that this is not a simple choice.

Or do you disagree with any of the pro's and con's?

Vine
09-25-2011, 03:12 PM
You always take the free points. Especially in a low scoring game where your offense is struggling. I can't believe anyone thinks otherwise.

Since when are points free?

Doggcow
09-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Go for it ONLY IF TEBOW IS IN

broncolife
09-25-2011, 03:14 PM
If I had confidence in this O I would say go for it, but I dont so kick it

maher_tyler
09-25-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't mind the call to go for it but the play call was terrible.

The play calling was bad all day. How many mother effing draws do we need to run to realize they don't work?!

Or screens. I like how the commentator pointed out that when a screen is called, Orton gives it away because he back peddles on screens. When its a pass he drops back normally...

Mogulseeker
09-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Of course, people are going to say kick the field goal after that game.

I would have gone for it 99 out of 100 times.

bamanjam
09-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Totally a hero or goat play. If it works different game, different discussuon. It didn't work, expected response is? Stupid!!!

schaaf
09-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Obviously hindsight is 20/20... However at the time I wanted them to go for it. But I absolutely didn't want that play call after we'd gotten stuffed on the same play the previous two plays

Archer81
09-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Go for it. As the subsequent titan series showed, it was a smart call.

:Broncos:

Agamemnon
09-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Since when are points free?

Whenever the opposing team turns the ball over deep in their own territory.

Agamemnon
09-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Of course, people are going to say kick the field goal after that game.

I would have gone for it 99 out of 100 times.

The poll is a 50/50 at the moment. Seems like a lot of people are being honest. Personally I think going for it with our **** run game and Orton at QB is beyond retarded, but to each their own.

tsiguy96
09-25-2011, 03:49 PM
just dont understand why a direct snap to tebow for a TD is taht difficult of a concept. i am 99% sure fox does not use tebow simply because everyone keeps calling for him.

Agamemnon
09-25-2011, 04:04 PM
just dont understand why a direct snap to tebow for a TD is taht difficult of a concept. i am 99% sure fox does not use tebow simply because everyone keeps calling for him.

Yep. It was the reason that McD took so long as well. It's starting to sink in (at least for me) that we have yet another arrogant and prideful moron as our head coach.

Pick Six
09-25-2011, 06:31 PM
This defense is good with short-yardage situations, but Hasselback needed to get big yardage. I had a funny feeling we would be torched, and that's what happened. Kick the field goal and make it so they can only tie us...

Bronx33
09-25-2011, 06:33 PM
zero imagination in the redzone run game so yes (kick the 3)

TheReverend
09-25-2011, 06:48 PM
I chose go for 3.

In years past, I would've selected go for it, but not in this situation OR this season.

In years past, we didn't have the defense for 3 pts to be... well... meaningful. This season it certainly is. And worse, 3 pts would put us up by an even TD. I have no idea how you walk away from that.

That One Guy
09-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Exactly. In years past, Tebow was a tool to be used where convenient. Now, using him could fracture the fanbase and, completely hypothetically, the team, if he does well. I still think that's why he's even been talked about as 3rd string. The team is diverting the Tebow attention to the ultimate detriment of the team.

Bronx33
09-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Coach fox is all that stands in between tebow and some red zone game time so basically (its never going to happen) fox is completely happy with not trusting orton and cramming willie up the gut 4 times in a row.

maven
09-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Exactly. In years past, Tebow was a tool to be used where convenient. Now, using him could fracture the fanbase and, completely hypothetically, the team, if he does well. I still think that's why he's even been talked about as 3rd string. The team is diverting the Tebow attention to the ultimate detriment of the team.

That is not playing to win the game at all costs.

broncocalijohn
09-25-2011, 07:52 PM
I say go for the TD but of course I know better than to run up the middle with the same bs setup. I would have put Tebow in on first down and a good chance I don't see 4th down because we score on the first 3 downs. Fox is the duplicate of McDaniels or even worse since McD at least put Tebow in last year. I don't need Tebow the whole game. I just need him in on 1st and goal at the 3.
That whole series was a colossal **** up.

maven
09-25-2011, 07:55 PM
This team struggles to put points on the board. You kick the FG and go up 7. This isn't some high powered offense that can drop 40 like the Saints.

And btw, I called kicking the FG before the play.

That One Guy
09-25-2011, 08:01 PM
This team struggles to put points on the board. You kick the FG and go up 7. This isn't some high powered offense that can drop 40 like the Saints.

And btw, I called kicking the FG before the play.

"A winner wants the ball when the game's on the line"

We had the chance to basically win the game. All they had to do was execute. I wanted them to go for it and I'm glad they did. I hope they make that call every time they get the opportunity.

Nothing sucks worse than playing so conservative that you basically beat yourself.

hambone13
09-25-2011, 08:15 PM
I chose go for 3.

In years past, I would've selected go for it, but not in this situation OR this season.

In years past, we didn't have the defense for 3 pts to be... well... meaningful. This season it certainly is. And worse, 3 pts would put us up by an even TD. I have no idea how you walk away from that.

This. There is no reason to trust this offense. You go up by 7 out of pure logic and I called it before we didn't make it. No question in my mind.

maven
09-25-2011, 08:23 PM
"A winner wants the ball when the game's on the line"

We had the chance to basically win the game. All they had to do was execute. I wanted them to go for it and I'm glad they did. I hope they make that call every time they get the opportunity.

Nothing sucks worse than playing so conservative that you basically beat yourself.

This team's motto right now is play good defense, good special teams, run the ball, hit a big play or 2, and take the points.

14-10 with 14:33 to play in the 4th Quarter. You take the 3 and kick it off up 7.

That One Guy
09-25-2011, 08:29 PM
This team's motto right now is play good defense, good special teams, run the ball, hit a big play or 2, and take the points.

14-10 with 14:33 to play in the 4th Quarter. You take the 3 and kick it off up 7.

I just don't have faith in the Broncos. I think they have to swing for the fences because they don't have the talent to consistently hit singles and doubles to win the game. They need to get a grand slam here or there and then hope they don't do anything to blow it.

mkporter
09-25-2011, 08:30 PM
One yard to win the game. On the road against a team that is probably outplaying you, I'd go for it every time. Hitting the FG doesn't dramatically increase your chances of winning. Scoring the TD does. Also, put Tebow in.

Kaylore
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. Personally I think going for it is the right call. What is not, is the play calling.

GoBroncos84
09-25-2011, 09:14 PM
If I am the coach, I go for that every time I am in that situation. You've gotta have that mindset that your offense can pick up a yard. You are praised if you convert, you are condemned if you fail. Goes with the territory. Absolutely the right call to go for it, just failed to execute

Bronx33
09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
If I am the coach, I go for that every time I am in that situation. You've gotta have that mindset that your offense can pick up a yard. You are praised if you convert, you are condemned if you fail. Goes with the territory. Absolutely the right call to go for it, just failed to execute

This is the broncos offense lets be realistic fox should be collecting any points they can get ( not leaving them on the field)

Mile High Mojoe
09-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Why wasn't it a choice to put Tebow in and see if he could run the ball in?

They should have kicked the field goal in hindsight that's a no brainer, it's also a no brainer that it's time remove Orton's sorry ass out of the starting job and give it to Tebow NOW!!! What a miserable collapse by the worst offense I've seen the Broncos field since I was kid in the ealry 70's. God how I hate Orton, I hate watching another crappy game where it's a done deal before the game even is played that the Broncos can not or will not make the plays they need to win one.

It's not all Orton's fault I know but he sucks ass through a cocktail straw and he will NEVER improve his game enough to help the Broncos win tight games. How long will it take Bowlen, Fox and Elway to figure it out?

That One Guy
09-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Why wasn't it a choice to put Tebow in and see if he could run the ball in?

They should kicked the field gaol in hindsight that's a no brainer, it's also a no brainer that it's time take remove Orton's sorry ass out of the starting job and give it to Tebow NOW!!! What a miserable collapse by the worst offense I've seen the Broncos field since I was kid in the ealry 70's. God how I hate Orton, I hate watching another crappy game where it's a done deal before the game even is played that the Broncos can not or will not make the plays they need to win one.

It's not all Orton's fault I know but he sucks ass through a cocktail straw and he will NEVER improve his game enough to help the Broncos win tight games. How long will it take Bowlen, Fox and Elway to figure it out?

I'm a big kid look what I can do... I can wear big kid pants too! Mommy, Wow! I'm a big kid now!

GTFO and go put it in one of the 800 other threads. If you want to talk about how it impacted the play, so be it. If you just wanna beat your dick and scream at Orton, F off.

Dedhed
09-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Go for it with a better QB.

Rolandftw
09-25-2011, 10:03 PM
I felt at that spot in the game, I would have took the 3 points. If it's early first half, you go for it. But early fourth quarter, you take the 3 points to make it a TD game.

I don't think Denver won or lost the game on that play. Tennessee had a 95 yard drive and likely would have had a chance to drive for the game winning field goal even had Denver went for the FG.

If they go for the FG and, Denver loses by 3 or in OT everyone is going to second guess Fox then.

Even getting a TD on the 4th down play wouldn't have guaranteed the win for Denver. Still would have had to get a key stop.

chawknz
09-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Of course looking back now you say go for the FG, but at the time, I yelled GO FOR IT!