PDA

View Full Version : Hasselbeck Vs. Orton

Broncos4tw
09-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Both team looked fairly crappy today. Both of our running games were lousy.

Comparing QBs - there was a difference between Hasslebeck, who I think is mundanely average, and Orton, who is also very average. When the odds started to fall against the Titans with the horrible penalties and lack of a running game, Hasselbeck picked up his game to get it done. He directed traffic. He rolled out and avoided sacks and made some clutch throws.

Orton on the other hand, looks disturbingly static from start to finish. There is no afterburners. There is no fire. There is no elevation of play when it gets rough. That's the difference between winning and losing often. There are 11 guys on the field, but only blind people would fail to realize that the QB position is the MOST important position, and elevated play from the QB can change the game, unlike any other position. A QB can make a huge difference. And Orton never looks different. EVER. I've never seen what I would consider elevated play. He never looks like there is a fire under his ass. He is average. Mediocre at times. And it never wavers, ever.

I'll take a unorthodox rookie with sloppy mechanics, but a strong desire to win with a huge gamer mentality, over this static, placid, boring, predictable QB who never picks his game up when we need it. He never makes something special happen, ever.

Doggcow
09-25-2011, 01:23 PM
You can replace Hasselbeck with "Any NFL QB"

Play2win
09-25-2011, 01:26 PM
You can replace Hasselbeck with "Any NFL QB"

I would gladly take Colt McCoy over Orton after today...

Punisher
09-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Hasselbeck really hit 11 different targets Rogers is licking his chops

Broncos4tw
09-25-2011, 01:30 PM
There are some other QBs with that inability to make something special happen. They are on teams that rarely even make the playoffs. The last player I remember who actually succeeded without having a spark of fire in his play, played for a team with one of the most wicked defenses the game has ever seen. Which is probably what needs to happen if Orton is still our QB into the future.

RADRHATR
09-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Both team looked fairly crappy today. Both of our running games were lousy.

Comparing QBs - there was a difference between Hasslebeck, who I think is mundanely average, and Orton, who is also very average. When the odds started to fall against the Titans with the horrible penalties and lack of a running game, Hasselbeck picked up his game to get it done. He directed traffic. He rolled out and avoided sacks and made some clutch throws.

Orton on the other hand, looks disturbingly static from start to finish. There is no afterburners. There is no fire. There is no elevation of play when it gets rough. That's the difference between winning and losing often. There are 11 guys on the field, but only blind people would fail to realize that the QB position is the MOST important position, and elevated play from the QB can change the game, unlike any other position. A QB can make a huge difference. And Orton never looks different. EVER. I've never seen what I would consider elevated play. He never looks like there is a fire under his ass. He is average. Mediocre at times. And it never wavers, ever.

I'll take a unorthodox rookie with sloppy mechanics, but a strong desire to win with a huge gamer mentality, over this static, placid, boring, predictable QB who never picks his game up when we need it. He never makes something special happen, ever.

Well said, great post!!!!

KipCorrington25
09-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Orton always folds up like a lawn chair in crunch time that's always the difference.

Broncos4tw
09-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Hasselbeck really hit 11 different targets Rogers is licking his chops

Yea, that is exactly what I was talking about. A key offensive player out, Hasselbeck starts doing whatever he has to to win. Some odd throws (sidearms, etc.), throwing to everyone he can.. not always successful, but he is obviously trying to win the game. It's that attitude that not only can make the difference, it can fire your offense up to play better. I honestly can't say I can remember a time where Orton fired up our offense. It's like the guy is on Riddlin the entire game.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Hasselbeck would be an immediate upgrade over Orton.

errand
09-25-2011, 01:48 PM
4th a goal from the 4...and we give it to a rb that was averaging 1.8 yards per carry?

fontaine
09-25-2011, 01:51 PM
I know it's painful, Bronco fans, but only a few more games left and Orton's career here will be over.

broncoblue
09-25-2011, 01:52 PM
4th a goal from the 4...and we give it to a rb that was averaging 1.8 yards per carry?

and that is the reason ive hit the jack daniels in the last hour.

OBF1
09-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Ortonary cannot hold Hasslebacks jockstrap.

DarkHorse30
09-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I know it's painful, Bronco fans, but only a few more games left and Orton's career here will be over.

Can he take Mike McCoy with him?

WolfpackGuy
09-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Ortonary cannot hold Elizabeth Hasslebacks jockstrap.

Fixed.

Jesterhole
09-25-2011, 02:22 PM
I would take just about anyone over Orton at this point. Dude is just not fun to watch. He's like a little kid trying to tread water...either his face is juuuuuust about the surface, or he's freakin' drowning.

The only hope is that fans stop going to watch and that forces the issue. No doubt, Fox will play Orton every snap this year if it's left up to his dumb ass.

Broncos4Life
09-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Hasselbeck would be an immediate upgrade over Orton.

I would gladly take Hasselbeck over Orton any game of the week!

Agamemnon
09-25-2011, 03:16 PM

You sure? I thought it was over after last year. This is a nightmare that never ends...

ghwk
09-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Kyle Mundane.

TDmvp
09-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Kyle Aborton is Gary Busey approved ...

http://i51.tinypic.com/2uy4v0w.gif

TheReverend
09-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Lol, there's no "vs" and never has been.

He's literally only comparable to Tavaris Jackson right now... who quite frankly is probably outplaying Orton when you consider mobility

mkporter
09-25-2011, 03:21 PM

I think it was from the 2.

Vegas_Bronco
09-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Kyle Aborton is Gary Busey approved ...

http://i51.tinypic.com/2uy4v0w.gif

Even if that throw gets off, its an INT....lol

TheReverend
09-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I think it was from the 2.

It was the 1...

4-1-TEN 1 (13:33) 23-W.McGahee up the middle to TEN 1 for no gain (90-D.Morgan).

mkporter
09-25-2011, 05:18 PM
It was the 1...

4-1-TEN 1 (13:33) 23-W.McGahee up the middle to TEN 1 for no gain (90-D.Morgan).

Using easily accessible information is for losers.. :thumbsup:

Broncos4tw
09-25-2011, 06:20 PM
For those folks who keep chiming in with "It's 11 players.. Orton is one guy.. " as if this explains why he can't possibly be the reason we are losing:

Just look at the Colts. Solid team. Feared by all. QB goes down... now they are terrible. It's an extreme example, but a very good way to show how critical the QB position is. The QB can change the fortunes of a team more than any other position. Just because there are other issues with the team, doesn't mean we should ignore the QB position.

barryr
09-25-2011, 09:09 PM
I just never get the feeling or impression when Orton is at QB the rest of the offense is inspired or confident at all. It is like they are in an emotionless state just trying to get by.

Dedhed
09-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Because the coaches know as well as we do that if a pass is called, Orton is going to stare down his first read and throw the ball out of bounds at the first hint of pressure, or go fetal and take a sack.

Keep looking for reasons not to blame Orton though, you're doing a hell of a job.

Dedhed
09-25-2011, 09:18 PM
I just never get the feeling or impression when Orton is at QB the rest of the offense is inspired or confident at all. It is like they are in an emotionless state just trying to get by.

Do you ever get that feeling from Orton? Why would his teammates? Every time during a game when I say "Alright, we really need something here" it's followed almost immediately by a sense of resignation.

Dedhed
09-25-2011, 09:24 PM
For those folks who keep chiming in with "It's 11 players.. Orton is one guy.. " as if this explains why he can't possibly be the reason we are losing:

Just look at the Colts. Solid team. Feared by all. QB goes down... now they are terrible. It's an extreme example, but a very good way to show how critical the QB position is. The QB can change the fortunes of a team more than any other position. Just because there are other issues with the team, doesn't mean we should ignore the QB position.

That's a great post. Yes losing Manning is an extreme example, but it's also a very salient one. The Colts are looking like a 2 win team without Manning when with him you can pretty much chalk up 11-12 wins/year.

So if Manning alone can make a 9-10 win difference it isn't hard to imagine that upgrading Orton could very easily lead to a 5-6 win difference.

We've already seen 2 losses this year that could very easily have been wins with only moderately improved QB play, and we're only 3 games into the year.

go_broncos
09-25-2011, 09:30 PM
I lost interest this season when Fox selected orton as a starting QB.
I am not sure if Tebow is the answer. I just hope our coach gives chance to Tebow this season. If he is not the answer, then select a QB.
I am tired of having average QB.

Dedhed
09-25-2011, 10:17 PM
I lost interest this season when Fox selected orton as a starting QB.
I am not sure if Tebow is the answer. I just hope our coach gives chance to Tebow this season. If he is not the answer, then select a QB.
I am tired of having average QB.

He'll be forced to eventually. If we're 1-4 going into the bye, there's no way to stick with Orton and maintain any credibility.

Maybe Green Bay will look past us and gift us a win, or maybe SD will pee on themselves and we can get two special teams TDs again to beat them. But I think the chances are slim in both cases.