PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Sunday ticket (reviews)

Chris
09-23-2011, 10:35 AM
It's been a few weeks so I was wondering what those of you that purchased PS3 sunday ticket thought of the service. How do you feel about quality, ease of use, value, etc.?

Our local NYC bar lost a lot of Broncos fans to sunday ticket this year :( and I'm considering picking it up. The bar's loud, not cheap and it would save me the trip. I didn't get it because I liked hanging out with other Broncos fans but my buddies from past years are all bailing!

Alternatively I might consider the rewind thing on NFL.com. Apparently they have endzone camera angles and I'd prefer to watch the games that way.

bowtown
09-23-2011, 10:45 AM
The first week was an absolute disaster. Totally unwatchable. The stream kept freezing and a lot of games wouldn't even load. Picture quality was ****. Last week was a lot better. It actually worked most of the time and the picture quality was great. I'm still getting some glitches though where the stream visual will freeze or the quality will unexpectedly drop for about 10 seconds. It also lags real time so it's hard to be on the Mane and watching at the smae time because stuff gets spoiled.

Sony gave everyone a 29$ refund for week 1 and supposedly everything is fixed. I called them last week to let them know I'm still having some small issues. They told me to call Direct TV. Direct TV told me to call Sony. It's a nice little game they have going. Anyway, I'm going to keep it for a couple more weeks and just see if the few small issues left get ironed out. If they do then I'm a happy camper. If not, then I probably won't renew for next month.

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2011, 10:52 AM
If you want better quality video DO NOT use wireless

-Wireless is only half-duplex....which is to say NO duplex. Think CB radio. You can't talk while the other end is talking

-Video and Voice are typically transmitted over UDP. UDP does not have error checking like say TCP.

So you want a full-duplex connection...aka a wired connection. Hope that helps.

supermanhr9
09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
is that my problem playing online as well? mine lags so I hardly play online.

2KBack
09-23-2011, 11:17 AM
It was 100 times better in the second week. I appreciated that they recognized that it was ****ed in week 1. The quality it great now.

Keep in mind that I am not using wireless

Jay3
09-23-2011, 11:18 AM

Probably so. Everything I've ever heard or read says to runt the wire to your PS3 if at all humanly possible.

They probably shouldn't even put wifi on it because it doesn't do most things well.

All you probably have to do is run a Cat 5 to your wireless router. The hard part is figuring out where to run the wire so it won't show.

But for short term things like football and games, maybe you could get a big long cable and run it only when you need it.

You can get a 50 ft cable or longer for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Cat5e-Network-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B000V0ETA6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316798279&sr=8-1

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2011, 11:21 AM

It can be. Wireless is okay if you just need a connection, but a dependable connection it is not.

maven
09-23-2011, 11:29 AM

You should always hard wire if possible

maven
09-23-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm surprised the playstation doesn't have wireless N yet. They should upgrade that.

bowtown
09-23-2011, 11:38 AM
If you want better quality video DO NOT use wireless

-Wireless is only half-duplex....which is to say NO duplex. Think CB radio. You can't talk while the other end is talking

-Video and Voice are typically transmitted over UDP. UDP does not have error checking like say TCP.

So you want a full-duplex connection...aka a wired connection. Hope that helps.

I'm wired directly into the ps.

Rabb
09-23-2011, 11:46 AM
The first week was an absolute disaster. Totally unwatchable. The stream kept freezing and a lot of games wouldn't even load. Picture quality was ****. Last week was a lot better. It actually worked most of the time and the picture quality was great. I'm still getting some glitches though where the stream visual will freeze or the quality will unexpectedly drop for about 10 seconds. It also lags real time so it's hard to be on the Mane and watching at the smae time because stuff gets spoiled.

Sony gave everyone a 29$ refund for week 1 and supposedly everything is fixed. I called them last week to let them know I'm still having some small issues. They told me to call Direct TV. Direct TV told me to call Sony. It's a nice little game they have going. Anyway, I'm going to keep it for a couple more weeks and just see if the few small issues left get ironed out. If they do then I'm a happy camper. If not, then I probably won't renew for next month.

renew for next month, they don't bill all at once?

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm wired directly into the ps.

First week they probably had stress problems.

Rolandftw
09-23-2011, 12:12 PM
they have monthly options if you don't want to pay for it all at once.

I've too wondered about Sunday Ticket for the PS3, but it's not really feasible for me to do anything but wifi on my PS3. If you if need a wired connection for the PS3 to be decent, probably won't work for me.

Plus, there's nothing stopping me from getting DirectTv, so I'd have to lie when I installed it and everything.

Chris
09-23-2011, 12:24 PM
What's the monthly fee?

bowtown
09-23-2011, 12:25 PM
renew for next month, they don't bill all at once?

No, I don't think they even give you the option. They are handling it as 4 payments of $84.

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2011, 12:35 PM
they have monthly options if you don't want to pay for it all at once.

I've too wondered about Sunday Ticket for the PS3, but it's not really feasible for me to do anything but wifi on my PS3. If you if need a wired connection for the PS3 to be decent, probably won't work for me.

Plus, there's nothing stopping me from getting DirectTv, so I'd have to lie when I installed it and everything.

It can be dependent on several factors. You don't have to have a wired connection to stream video. You'll just get better performance over a wired connection,.

Another thing I didn't mention was the number of devices you have connected to your WAP. The more devices equals less bandwidth allocated to each device.

Rabb
09-23-2011, 12:46 PM
No, I don't think they even give you the option. They are handling it as 4 payments of $84.

shheeeiiiiit, that's nice

Jay3
09-23-2011, 12:51 PM

What's this about? You have be unable to get DirecTV in order for them to let you buy Sunday Ticket only (on PS3)?

Rolandftw
09-23-2011, 01:15 PM
What's this about? You have be unable to get DirecTV in order for them to let you buy Sunday Ticket only (on PS3)?

That's what I've heard. I mean, technically you can lie and say you can't get direcTv, and I imagine there's no way they could possibly find out.

Jay3
09-23-2011, 01:18 PM
That's what I've heard. I mean, technically you can lie and say you can't get direcTv, and I imagine there's no way they could possibly find out.

Unless I've had it twice before, including last season, and canceled, and there's an unused dish in my back yard.

Oh, well.

bowtown
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM

When you purchase the app in the playstation store, it asks you if you can get direct tv where you live. You just check no and are good to go. If you are paying 350 bones, no one is going to take the time to find out if it's actually true. I think Direct Tv just says that as a way to keep leverage over the package.

Garcia Bronco
09-23-2011, 01:52 PM
When you purchase the app in the playstation store, it asks you if you can get direct tv where you live. You just check no and are good to go. If you are paying 350 bones, no one is going to take the time to find out if it's actually true. I think Direct Tv just says that as a way to keep leverage over the package.

Make sure you RTFC. Selecting no...aka fibbing...could have legal consequences.

maven
09-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Make sure you RTFC. Selecting no...aka fibbing...could have legal consequences.

I would highly doubt it. It's not hard to give a reason why you couldn't have directv in your area. This isn't like OJ stealing Satellite tv signals.

ant1999e
09-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm running my ps3 wireless. Last week Sunday ticket worked perfectly. Had zero problems. Picture was real clear.

bowtown
09-23-2011, 03:20 PM
I would highly doubt it. It's not hard to give a reason why you couldn't have directv in your area. This isn't like OJ stealing Satellite tv signals.

Exactly, plus you buy it through Sony. I've tried calling direct tv. Half the cs agents have no idea that this even exists. When you do get someone who knows about it they ask you for your direct tv account #. Once they realize you don't have one they tell you they cant help and kick you back to Sony. They couldn't be less interested.

bowtown
09-23-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm running my ps3 wireless. Last week Sunday ticket worked perfectly. Had zero problems. Picture was real clear.

Out of curiosity do you have one if the new thins or one of the fat old ones?

DenverBroncosJM
09-23-2011, 03:34 PM
I just got these...

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/answers/3545/product/1251336/rocketfish-rocketfish-powerline-networking-kit-for-xbox-360-ps3-nintendo-wii-ps2-questions-answers/questions.htm

They work amazingly well. WIFI to PS3 I was getting 9-11 Mbps with these I get 19-21 Mbps.

USMCBladerunner
09-23-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm running .g wifi to an old fattie ps3. My week 2 experience was 98% trouble free. It got a little worse late in the day (i.e. when the Broncos were playing), but I was pretty much completely satisfied with the service that day.

Week 1 was a joke, but even then, they had it mostly cleaned up by the afternoon.

I had to lie regarding the availability of the Direct TV. This is an odd inquiry to me, it implies that this service is intended to only be sold to apartment dwellers who are disallowed satellite TV. That is a pretty small audience, and leaves a large number of folks at $340 per keeping their money to themselves.

I, for one, was not going to sign up for two years of Direct TV, even with a free season of Sunday Ticket. I was just going to suck it up on-line or go to the bar. I'm pretty much on board with internet only media at this point, so I was pleased with the announcement that Sunday Ticket was going to be made available on the PS3. If Direct TV thinks that it should only be available to those who can't get Direct TV, then they don't understand the future.

Regardless, I'm pleased and will probably remain so, unless I get sued.

ant1999e
09-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Out of curiosity do you have one if the new thins or one of the fat old ones?

I just bought it so I assume it's the new type.

ant1999e
09-23-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm running .g wifi to an old fattie ps3. My week 2 experience was 98% trouble free. It got a little worse late in the day (i.e. when the Broncos were playing), but I was pretty much completely satisfied with the service that day.

Week 1 was a joke, but even then, they had it mostly cleaned up by the afternoon.

I had to lie regarding the availability of the Direct TV. This is an odd inquiry to me, it implies that this service is intended to only be sold to apartment dwellers who are disallowed satellite TV. That is a pretty small audience, and leaves a large number of folks at $340 per keeping their money to themselves.

I, for one, was not going to sign up for two years of Direct TV, even with a free season of Sunday Ticket. I was just going to suck it up on-line or go to the bar. I'm pretty much on board with internet only media at this point, so I was pleased with the announcement that Sunday Ticket was going to be made available on the PS3. If Direct TV thinks that it should only be available to those who can't get Direct TV, then they don't understand the future.

Regardless, I'm pleased and will probably remain so, unless I get sued.

I technically didn't lie. DTV is unavailable to me because because my wife won't let me get it.

USMCBladerunner
09-23-2011, 10:49 PM
I technically didn't lie. DTV is unavailable to me because because my wife won't let me get it.

I hadn't thought of that, but I'll happily use it in my defense in arbitration.

Archer81
09-24-2011, 12:23 AM
I just bought it so I assume it's the new type.

The simple way to know is if its glossy or matted. If its glossy and has spiderman 3 writing on it, its an older PS3. If it has the mat finish, new PS3. If it has Wifi, its the newer PS3.

Awesome either way.

:Broncos:

maven
09-24-2011, 12:38 AM
What is not awesome about the PS3 is they don't import colors or do a gears of war type theme ps3. What's up with that?

USMCBladerunner
09-24-2011, 11:42 AM
The simple way to know is if its glossy or matted. If its glossy and has spiderman 3 writing on it, its an older PS3. If it has the mat finish, new PS3. If it has Wifi, its the newer PS3.

Awesome either way.

:Broncos:

My old glossy fattie has wifi.

maven
09-24-2011, 11:55 AM
My old glossy fattie has wifi.

Yes, only the launch 20gb model didn't have wifi.