PDA

View Full Version : Lloyd status a surprise

TonyR
09-19-2011, 12:22 PM
The Denver Broncos' miscalculation on Pro Bowl flanker Brandon Lloyd left them short-handed Sunday, when they had to line up Tim Tebow as a slot receiver.

They went into their game against Cincinnati with just three wide receivers because they were counting on Lloyd's availability.

Football executive John Elway said on his radio show Monday that the Broncos chose to promote a running back from their practice squad Saturday rather than a wide receiver because Lloyd had practiced Friday for the first time since getting hurt in the opener and seemed OK.

He wasn't by Sunday morning, and when Eddie Royal (groin) was hurt, they were down to two receivers: Eric Decker, making his first career start, and Matt Willis, who has just one start in his four NFL seasons.

"We thought Brandon was going to be OK. It was quite the surprise to us -- and I'm sure to him, too -- that it wasn't feeling very well on Sunday afternoon," Elway said on his radio show on 102.3 The Ticket in Denver.

Elway said the Broncos chose to promote running back Jeremiah Johnson from their practice squad instead of wide receiver Eron Riley on Saturday because it became clear that tailback Knowshon Moreno (hamstring) wouldn't play after missing practice all week.

Lloyd, on the other hand, practiced Friday before coach John Fox told him to back off halfway through the workout as a precaution.

"We really thought he was going to be fine," Elway said. "The thought process was, 'OK, do we bring up a wideout or are we going to bring up a running back?' And on Saturday we knew Knowshon was not going to go, so we really thought Brandon was going."

Decker ended up catching two long TD passes in Denver's 24-22 win over the Bengals.

Elway said the oft-injured Royal was scheduled for an MRI on Monday.

The Broncos are counting on Lloyd returning to the lineup for their game next weekend at Tennessee and will likely need to make a roster move to add another receiver.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6992365/john-elway-denver-broncos-says-brandon-lloyd-not-playing-surprise

bowtown
09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Cue the Brandon Lloyd has a bad attitude crowd.

Killericon
09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Please don't call TO, please don't call TO, please don't call TO...

DrFate
09-19-2011, 12:28 PM
"Elway said the oft-injured Royal was scheduled for an MRI on Monday"

I doubt that Elways used 'oft-injured' :)

Pick Six
09-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Matt "Mama said knock you out" Willis was one of the reasons I was really worried about the game. I'm glad that we got through it with a win...

Rabb
09-19-2011, 12:37 PM

I bet he said "obviously" a dozen times though

TheReverend
09-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Cue the Brandon Lloyd has a bad attitude crowd.

Meh. I think he's a selfish idiot but I genuinely don't think we really lose anything with him out of the lineup (that's gonna go over well lol), so I could care less.

bronco militia
09-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Meh. I think he's a selfish idiot but I genuinely don't think we really lose anything with him out of the lineup (that's gonna go over well lol), so I could care less.

Ha!

maybe it went down like this in warmups:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4ar_5WOMXg&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4ar_5WOMXg&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Dedhed
09-19-2011, 01:07 PM

I agree. People will be quick to flame, but Orton spreads the ball around better which I think makes him attack (I know that word never really applies to Orton) the defense's weak spot instead of locking on Lloyd.

TheChamp24
09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Matt "Mama said knock you out" Willis was one of the reasons I was really worried about the game. I'm glad that we got through it with a win...

Willis did more harm than good out there at times lol.
Basically stopped McGahee from breaking a huge run. Bengal players probably told him nice hit and thanks.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-19-2011, 01:13 PM
He "attacked" towards 9 receivers against Oakland. Only 7 against Cincy.

Just putting that out there.

24champ
09-19-2011, 01:15 PM

Good thing we got rid of Gaffney...

TonyR
09-19-2011, 01:19 PM
He "attacked" towards 9 receivers against Oakland. Only 7 against Cincy.

Just putting that out there.

There goes another one of his theories...

mkporter
09-19-2011, 01:37 PM

You're still retarded. :giggle:

Kaylore
09-19-2011, 01:41 PM

You really think we are no better with him on the field?

SonOfLe-loLang
09-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Why is Brandon Lloyd selfish? Did I miss something?

bowtown
09-19-2011, 01:59 PM

Because he once used the subject "Kyle Orton" without the predicate "sucks."

mkporter
09-19-2011, 02:03 PM

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100008 (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100008&highlight=retarded)

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 02:05 PM
It lost me my week, because I know I would have gotten 5 points out of him.

Rock Chalk
09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
I agree. People will be quick to flame, but Orton spreads the ball around better which I think makes him attack (I know that word never really applies to Orton) the defense's weak spot instead of locking on Lloyd.

SUch a Orangemane Myth.

Orton targets his #1 receiver LESS than other top QBs target their #1 receiver.

oldustyballs
09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Is Donnie Avery still available?

Chris
09-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Lloyd is the self described "Millenium Scrooge McDuck" and I will ultimately always remember him as such.

Ironlung
09-19-2011, 03:39 PM
SUch a Orangemane Myth.

But I bet Orton stares a hole through his #1 receiver alot more than they do.

Other? top qb's? Are you saying Orton is a top qb in this league?

eddie mac
09-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Here we have a WR who led the AFC in receiving categories in 2010, got voted to the Pro-Bowl and is paid a cool $2m or so in 2011 yet didn't bitch and gurn about his contract during the offseason like a former beloved WR of ours and many more league wide and yet he is supposedly selfish.

Looks up definition of selfish in the Collins ENGLISH dictionary and cant see Lloyd's pic anywhere.

TheReverend
09-19-2011, 04:01 PM
You really think we are no better with him on the field?

If we have to bring in Tebow as the 3rd receiver, then yes, we're worse off.

If prepared for it? Then yeah, I genuinely think we are no better off with him.

Agamemnon
09-19-2011, 04:05 PM
The Denver Broncos' miscalculation on Pro Bowl flanker Brandon Lloyd left them short-handed Sunday, when they had to line up Tim Tebow as a slot receiver.

They went into their game against Cincinnati with just three wide receivers because they were counting on Lloyd's availability.

Football executive John Elway said on his radio show Monday that the Broncos chose to promote a running back from their practice squad Saturday rather than a wide receiver because Lloyd had practiced Friday for the first time since getting hurt in the opener and seemed OK.

He wasn't by Sunday morning, and when Eddie Royal (groin) was hurt, they were down to two receivers: Eric Decker, making his first career start, and Matt Willis, who has just one start in his four NFL seasons.

"We thought Brandon was going to be OK. It was quite the surprise to us -- and I'm sure to him, too -- that it wasn't feeling very well on Sunday afternoon," Elway said on his radio show on 102.3 The Ticket in Denver.

Elway said the Broncos chose to promote running back Jeremiah Johnson from their practice squad instead of wide receiver Eron Riley on Saturday because it became clear that tailback Knowshon Moreno (hamstring) wouldn't play after missing practice all week.

Lloyd, on the other hand, practiced Friday before coach John Fox told him to back off halfway through the workout as a precaution.

"We really thought he was going to be fine," Elway said. "The thought process was, 'OK, do we bring up a wideout or are we going to bring up a running back?' And on Saturday we knew Knowshon was not going to go, so we really thought Brandon was going."

Decker ended up catching two long TD passes in Denver's 24-22 win over the Bengals.

Elway said the oft-injured Royal was scheduled for an MRI on Monday.

The Broncos are counting on Lloyd returning to the lineup for their game next weekend at Tennessee and will likely need to make a roster move to add another receiver.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6992365/john-elway-denver-broncos-says-brandon-lloyd-not-playing-surprise

Why am I not surprised that these yahoos were surprised by something they shouldn't have been surprised by?

Dedhed
09-19-2011, 04:05 PM
SUch a Orangemane Myth.

Maybe, but I doubt it. What I do know is that Orton had to target Lloyd over 150 times to get him his 77 receptions last year.

Find a worse ratio for a #1 WR in the league.

TheReverend
09-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Because he once used the subject "Kyle Orton" without the predicate "sucks."

Not really.

The one that set me off was his "I dont watch tape or study opponents" way back. I didn't mind the helmet throwing incident, but there's certainly been a laundry list of other examples since.

These guys did a decent recap of him being a douche:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2010/10/inside-the-49ers/blast_from_the_past_brandon_lloyd/

TheReverend
09-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Maybe, but I doubt it. What I do know is that Orton had to target Lloyd over 150 times to get him his 77 receptions last year.

Roughly 30%

broncocalijohn
09-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Why am I not surprised that these yahoos were surprised by something they shouldn't have been surprised by?

Please explain in depth. Lloyd hasnt been injured while with the Broncos. If he was practicing and getting better, they figured he would be on the field. They knew enough about Moreno to replace him for the game. Hell, I might be 25% to 30% on target that he will miss or be listed as doubtful for game 10.

Agamemnon
09-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Please explain in depth. Lloyd hasnt been injured while with the Broncos. If he was practicing and getting better, they figured he would be on the field. They knew enough about Moreno to replace him for the game. Hell, I might be 25% to 30% on target that he will miss or be listed as doubtful for game 10.

He was listed as questionable. Therefore they should have known he might not be able to go. It's not that complicated.

HILife
09-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Ha!

maybe it went down like this in warmups:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4ar_5WOMXg&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s4ar_5WOMXg&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

LMAO what just happened?

bowtown
09-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Not really.

The one that set me off was his "I dont watch tape or study opponents" way back. I didn't mind the helmet throwing incident, but there's certainly been a laundry list of other examples since.

These guys did a decent recap of him being a douche:

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2010/10/inside-the-49ers/blast_from_the_past_brandon_lloyd/

Yeah, that's it? He said some dumb stuff, likes to rap, thought his talent could carry him early in his career and missed a couple team meetings. That's it? Compared to most of the starting WRs in the league, he's been a saint. Really the biggest knock against him is that he's been an underachiever... something he's now clearly remedied. And since arriving on this team he has been nothing but a positive for us. Now we may see his true colors come out when contract time rolls around at the end of this season, but until then I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt because since he's been here, he's given me no reason not to. Sometimes a fresh start or 4 is what a player needs to get their head on right.

Doggcow
09-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Tebow rocks. He went out there legit, and probably helped confuse the defense. He will line up at wr for us? Why do people hate him? Cmon now.

broncocalijohn
09-19-2011, 04:49 PM
He was listed as questionable. Therefore they should have known he might not be able to go. It's not that complicated.

Don't they have to list guys by Thursday? He was improving on Friday so why can't they use that for determining that two days later that he will be ready? You have your #1 WR improving on his injury. You still have Decker, Royal and Willis as your WO (not including TE that can catch). If there was any chance he can go, I am not putting him as "out". Moreno on the other hand has McGahee to take over. Sorry but jamming the F.O. on this one is ticky tacky.

Kaylore
09-19-2011, 05:05 PM
If we have to bring in Tebow as the 3rd receiver, then yes, we're worse off.

If prepared for it? Then yeah, I genuinely think we are no better off with him.

I vote this your worst take ever. He could not be targeted the whole game and his value to the offense as a decoy alone would make our team better.

TheReverend
09-19-2011, 05:16 PM
I vote this your worst take ever. He could not be targeted the whole game and his value to the offense as a decoy alone would make our team better.

Haha that's fair.

But your point doesn't stand until you can point out him drawing lots of double coverage.

...there's a good reason he was able to flash that athleticism to make some circus catches last year... single covered all day.

TheReverend
09-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Yeah, that's it? He said some dumb stuff, likes to rap, thought his talent could carry him early in his career and missed a couple team meetings. That's it? Compared to most of the starting WRs in the league, he's been a saint. Really the biggest knock against him is that he's been an underachiever... something he's now clearly remedied. And since arriving on this team he has been nothing but a positive for us. Now we may see his true colors come out when contract time rolls around at the end of this season, but until then I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt because since he's been here, he's given me no reason not to. Sometimes a fresh start or 4 is what a player needs to get their head on right.

Being a ****ty teammate and not putting the effort into the teams that gave him a chance are my issues.

And what does that show? Selfishness? Which is exactly what I said?

Feel free to continue turning this into something that it's not though.

mkporter
09-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Desean Jackson: 49% catch rate
Brandon Lloyd: 51% catch rate

When you get 19 yards per catch, your catch rate tends to drop off a little.

mkporter
09-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Being a ****ty teammate and not putting the effort into the teams that gave him a chance are my issues.

And what does that show? Selfishness? Which is exactly what I said?

Feel free to continue turning this into something that it's not though.

The Broncos gave him a chance. He's put in effort for us. Isn't that what's important?

TheReverend
09-19-2011, 05:48 PM
The Broncos gave him a chance. He's put in effort for us. Isn't that what's important?

Absolutely.

But while people decide to gush over him for a year (and it was a fantastic year, absolutely)

...He has a career of downright selfish and awful to go along with it.

I hope he's really turned a new leaf, but I wouldn't pay this guy anywhere near what he's "earning"

WolfpackGuy
09-19-2011, 05:53 PM
...there's a good reason he was able to flash that athleticism to make some circus catches last year... single covered all day.

Yeah, Orton couldn't hit a receiver in stride if his life depended on it.

Agamemnon
09-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Absolutely.

But while people decide to gush over him for a year (and it was a fantastic year, absolutely)

I hope he's really turned a new leaf, but I wouldn't pay this guy anywhere near what he's "earning"

I tend to agree. Plus he's getting older, and honestly this team needs to focus on youth. To me Decker was as impressive yesterday as Lloyd has ever been.

bowtown
09-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Absolutely.

I agree with all of this.

cutthemdown
09-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm so over Eddie Royal. Talk about a one yr wonder. A wonder he made it through the yr.

maven
09-19-2011, 06:41 PM
but I wouldn't pay this guy anywhere near what he's "earning"

According to rotoworld, he's earning $1.395 million. He's cheap and productive.

TheReverend
09-19-2011, 06:47 PM
I agree with all of this.

So wait... is it not about how refers to Orton then?

Idk...

According to rotoworld, he's earning $1.395 million. He's cheap and productive.

Point = Missed

Sorry bro.

maven
09-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Point = Missed

Sorry bro.

Yes, I was trying to figure your point so I started with his contract.

bowtown
09-19-2011, 06:53 PM
So wait... is it not about how refers to Orton then?

Idk...

I guess not. I must have gotten confused when someone said this:

UH OH. Did I just out you, Brandon?!?!?! We all know Orton is your retirement plan you selfish douche.

Idk...

TheReverend
09-19-2011, 06:59 PM
I guess not. I must have gotten confused when someone said this:

Idk...

Bold the part that isnt true?

errand
09-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Haha that's fair.

But your point doesn't stand until you can point out him drawing lots of double coverage.

So if he's single covered all the time why are you complaining that kyle orton threw to him 150 times?

Dedhed
09-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Desean Jackson: 49% catch rate
Brandon Lloyd: 51% catch rate

When you get 19 yards per catch, your catch rate tends to drop off a little.
That doesn't change my point.

mkporter
09-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Absolutely.

Well, I certainly wouldn't pay him Fitz money if that's that he wants. If he want to be reasonable (and he may not) I'd consider it. If he walks in free agency we'll probably get a 3rd rounder compensation pick, assuming he has another pretty good year.

maven
09-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Well, I certainly wouldn't pay him Fitz money if that's that he wants. If he want to be reasonable (and he may not) I'd consider it. If he walks in free agency we'll probably get a 3rd rounder compensation pick, assuming he has another pretty good year.

Who is going to pay him Fitz money? Nobody. He'll be hitting 31 by the next season.

He'll get an ok/decent contract if he continues to perform. His injury right now is costing him money. I expect him back asap.

mkporter
09-19-2011, 10:34 PM
That doesn't change my point.

If you prefer a less vertical passing game, then your point is valid. If you want to stretch the field, your catch rate is going to decline. Lloyd's wasn't really that unusual.

Lloyd: 77/152, 51%, 18.8 ypc
Gaffney: 65/112, 58%, 13.5 ypc
Royal: 59/106, 57%, 10.6 ypc

I'd throw it to Lloyd too given those numbers. Am I still missing your point?

mkporter
09-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Who is going to pay him Fitz money? Nobody. He'll be hitting 31 by the next season.

He'll get an ok/decent contract if he continues to perform. His injury right now is costing him money. I expect him back asap.

I agree that's what he'll end up with, but you never know how a guy is going to approach free agency. If he's the selfish prick Rev thinks he is, then he'll burn some bridges here asking for big $$, and sign somewhere else for reasonable money. Probably wherever Orton ends up.

mkporter
09-19-2011, 10:40 PM
So if he's single covered all the time why are you complaining that kyle orton threw to him 150 times?

You just can't argue this one with Rev. He really doesn't like the guy. I think he might hate lobsters, or do crossfit, or something.

ZONA
09-20-2011, 01:14 AM

I don't see any quotes around that. Sounds more like the writer is saying that Elway sid Royal was going to be out and the writer threw in the adjective.

Kaylore
09-20-2011, 05:22 AM
Haha that's fair.

Are you joking? He had three guys draped on him in the KC game at home. That's just one off the top of my head.

Rock Chalk
09-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Wait, is the OM meme to hate on our good players, our average players, and our bad players and only root for Teblow?

I cant keep up.

This stupid ****ing thread is why I hate most Bronco fans. Its the worst fan base in any sport anywhere. They are so ****ing retarded that they make Oakland fans look like nobel prize winners. Thats how ****ing retarded you idiots are.

TheReverend
09-20-2011, 06:05 AM

I did? Can you quote that?

Eldorado
09-20-2011, 07:13 AM
Wait, is the OM meme to hate on our good players, our average players, and our bad players and only root for Teblow?

I cant keep up.

This stupid ****ing thread is why I hate most Bronco fans. Its the worst fan base in any sport anywhere. They are so ****ing retarded that they make Oakland fans look like nobel prize winners. Thats how ****ing retarded you idiots are.

The meme is currently to spew some bull **** twisting somebody else's argument, usually in the form of a straw-man, make a Mcfan 'joke', and finish with 'owned' or 'next'.

That or just straight post spam. That one is becoming more popular.

TheReverend
09-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Are you joking? He had three guys draped on him in the KC game at home. That's just one off the top of my head.

Not impossible. May have missed it. I usually watch secondary first when I can and I can't recall a single example of this though.

bronco militia
09-20-2011, 08:27 AM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cRSQeptDNgw&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cRSQeptDNgw&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Kaylore
09-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Not impossible. May have missed it. I usually watch secondary first when I can and I can't recall a single example of this though.

I don't have many games saved, but I will go look. Suffice to say we weren't the only ones noticing the Orton and Lloyd connection.

Rascal
09-20-2011, 08:44 AM
LOL @ Lloyd being selfish.

rock
09-20-2011, 09:38 AM
If Lloyd was worried about stats, he shouldn't care who the QB is between Orton and Tebow.

The last three games with Orton last year he had 76, 31 and 32 yards. With Tebow he had 79, 111 and 73. His average was 90 yard per game. He had 89 yards in his first game this year.

There's not a huge difference in the statistics for him with either QB.

Dedhed
09-20-2011, 10:06 AM
If you prefer a less vertical passing game, then your point is valid. If you want to stretch the field, your catch rate is going to decline. Lloyd's wasn't really that unusual.

Lloyd: 77/152, 51%, 18.8 ypc
Gaffney: 65/112, 58%, 13.5 ypc
Royal: 59/106, 57%, 10.6 ypc

I'd throw it to Lloyd too given those numbers. Am I still missing your point?

Yes, you're still missing the point. Orton's MO last year was to target Lloyd any time he was single covered, and didn't look to go anywhere else when that was the case. My point is that Orton's love affair with Lloyd causes him to miss higher percentage throws, particularly in key situations.

broncocalijohn
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM

I cant keep up.

Hey guys, we now know who had the alternate ID as MVPlaya!

(not that RC was wrong on some of his points. )

broncocalijohn
09-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Yes, you're still missing the point. Orton's MO last year was to target Lloyd any time he was single covered, and didn't look to go anywhere else when that was the case. My point is that Orton's love affair with Lloyd causes him to miss higher percentage throws, particularly in key situations.

Didnt Lloyd have the most 3rd down reception % for first down? Or was it just first down receptions regardless of down? Seems like a pretty good way to play it.

mkporter
09-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Orton over-targets Lloyd somewhat, but the stats don't really point to it being excessive. Passes to Lloyd were our most effective plays. 93%+ of his catches went for first downs. Our players running higher percentage routes (Gaffney/Royal) didn't break 60% catch rate, which is kinda crappy. Orton certainly leaves something to be desired, but his biggest problem isn't locking on to Lloyd.

Chris
09-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Watch the highlights he makes some awesome catches with yes, three dudes blanketing him.

Also Rev I don't want to start anything but I have to point out the inconsistency

To kaylore - "My mistake sir I will do three hours of homework to make up for this incredible misstep. Please take my wife and three of my best chickens."

To other guy - "Stfu you moronic idiot I will rub prep H in your eye then set my axe wielding wife and three of my best cockfighting chickens on you."

Consistency not much on internets.

mkporter
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Watch the highlights he makes some awesome catches with yes, three dudes blanketing him.

Also Rev I don't want to start anything but I have to point out the inconsistency

To kaylore - "My mistake sir I will do three hours of homework to make up for this incredible misstep. Please take my wife and three of my best chickens."

To other guy - "Stfu you moronic idiot I will rub prep H in your eye then set my axe wielding wife and three of my best cockfighting chickens on you."

Consistency not much on internets.

Eldorado
09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
The rev has cock fighting chickens? Do they attach them to their beaks, or what?

bendog
09-20-2011, 11:34 AM

I'd help her eat the popcorn