PDA

View Full Version : OT - Win7 or XP

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 09:54 AM
I know this is off-topic, but I need to poll you folks. I'm thinking of upgrading my PC. Going to go with an Intel Core i5 2500K processor, new motherboard (of course), RAM and GeForce GTX 460 1GB video card and power supply. Gonna reuse my case, DVD drive and HD. But I thought I'd just hook my old HD running XP back to the PC. But a buddy of mine said I had to go to Win7. Is that right?

Dagmar
09-18-2011, 09:58 AM
In before Apple fanboys. You know who you are :lol:

Windows 7 is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant, MASSIVE MASSIVE upgrade over XP. I cannot be more emphatic!

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 10:02 AM

Windows 7 is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant, MASSIVE MASSIVE upgrade over XP. I cannot be more emphatic!

No, it's not which one is better, it's whether or not XP will work with the newer hardware. Is there something about the newer processor that makes it incompatible with XP? I don't mind upgrading to Win7 but can I postpone it for a bit until the coffers fill back up after the hardware upgrades?

jhns
09-18-2011, 10:08 AM
You can use xp.

Dagmar
09-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Yeah, you can use XP, but why would you want to?

Jay3
09-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Don't know the answer, but seriously, dig deep and go ahead and upgrade to Windows 7. Now is the time.

I would think you could save so much by accepting a package deal anyway. And old hard drive is not worth much in today's dollars, because storage keeps getting so cheap.

DenverBrit
09-18-2011, 10:24 AM
I know this is off-topic, but I need to poll you folks. I'm thinking of upgrading my PC. Going to go with an Intel Core i5 2500K processor, new motherboard (of course), RAM and GeForce GTX 460 1GB video card and power supply. Gonna reuse my case, DVD drive and HD. But I thought I'd just hook my old HD running XP back to the PC. But a buddy of mine said I had to go to Win7. Is that right?

It might be cheaper and better to buy a new PC as you're only salvaging a case and older HD.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-18-2011, 10:49 AM
I concur that windows 7 is fantastic. Hard drives are incredibly cheap and your old one may be a bottleneck from a bandwidth standpoint. No reason not to save it and use it to store files and whatnot, but put a couple of fast SATA drives in Raid 0... or even better a couple of solid state drives.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Also, don't pay full retail for Windows 7. You can get an OEM version at Tigerdirect for a reasonable price.

bronco militia
09-18-2011, 11:00 AM
win8 is coming soon, and xp will not be supported much longer. this is probably the perfect time to get win7

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 11:03 AM
It might be cheaper and better to buy a new PC as you're only salvaging a case and older HD.

"Cheaper" got my attention. Any suggestions?

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Also, don't pay full retail for Windows 7. You can get an OEM version at Tigerdirect for a reasonable price.

Yeah. Found it on NewEgg for $99 + free shipping.

But, fellas, barring a "cheaper" and "better" total system, I can probably get away with what I proposed in my OP, right? Reuse the old HD with XP on it until my budget allows for a new HD with Win7. The total cost of what I have above (CPU, MB, PS, RAM and video card) comes to $700. That's the limit of my budget right now (sort of tops it so I can't go any higher right now for an extra $160 bucks or whatever for Win7 and a new HD).

chadta
09-18-2011, 11:17 AM
win8 is coming soon, and xp will not be supported much longer. this is probably the perfect time to get win7

are they still supporting xp ? its what 5 years only that they support an OS.

7 is awesome, ive been using it since beta, cant wait till i upgrade the kids computers to get rid of all the xp machines in the house

Cheaper ? you know sometimes i forget that you can actually buy software.

Jay3
09-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah. Found it on NewEgg for $99 + free shipping.

But, fellas, barring a "cheaper" and "better" total system, I can probably get away with what I proposed in my OP, right? Reuse the old HD with XP on it until my budget allows for a new HD with Win7. The total cost of what I have above (CPU, MB, PS, RAM and video card) comes to $700. That's the limit of my budget right now (sort of tops it so I can't go any higher right now for an extra $160 bucks or whatever for Win7 and a new HD).

For only $600 you get this

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8300/pd?oc=DXDNMW1&model_id=xps-8300

I can't read all that gobbledy-gook, but the processor looks much better. Isn't this a better use of your money? They've heavily discounted it twice-- once because it's a package already, and twice because it's on sale.

slatimer
09-18-2011, 11:28 AM
go with Windows 7. You might have some driver issues trying to install XP on that motherboard. Also XP is much more prone to viruses and rootkits.

gyldenlove
09-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Get windows 7 64 bit edition, preferably home premium or better. Your setup will still run XP, but you will be cut off from new updates to directX and and XP will be cut off completely from hardware support at some point with windows 8.

Windows 7 is pretty much everything that Vista wasn't, it is a very good operating system.

Rock Chalk
09-18-2011, 11:38 AM
I cant imagine using XP anymore. Investing in Windows 7 is completely worth any extra money. IN every possible sense of the word.

XP is like MS DOS compared to Windows 7.

Que
09-18-2011, 11:39 AM
OS X Lion. First from the fanboys

Rock Chalk
09-18-2011, 11:42 AM
OS X Lion. First from the fanboys

Dude, read the OP.

He is upgrading his PC due to money issues. So clearly he cant afford the over-rated-over-priced Macs.

Que
09-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Dude, read the OP.

He is upgrading his PC due to money issues. So clearly he cant afford the over-rated-over-priced Macs.

Dude it was a joke. No discussion of Windows can be complete without Apple Fanboys. See In Before Apple Fanboys post.

Hope the sand in your vag works it's way out soon.

DenverBrit
09-18-2011, 12:18 PM

This is a good place to look. Good luck. :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adesktop&keywords=desktop&ie=UTF8&qid=1316369754&ajr=0#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?field-keywords=desktop+computer&url=search-alias%3Daps&sprefix=desktop+&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adesktop+computer

Kaylore
09-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I have win 7 and its so much better than XP. Very slick.

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 02:06 PM
How does this sound:

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system
AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00GHZ Quad-Core CPU
AMD Radeon HD 6850 with 1GB GDDR5
4GB Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
24X DVDRW Combo drive with Lightscribe Technology
Apex Vortex 2 Mid-tower Gaming Case with 500W Power Supply

$649

broncosteven
09-18-2011, 02:42 PM

What he said.

broncosteven
09-18-2011, 02:43 PM
How does this sound:

500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

$649

That is about right, desktop or laptop?

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 05:22 PM

Desktop....sound like I should go for it?

DenverBrit
09-18-2011, 05:55 PM
How does this sound:

500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

$649

Looks like a good value. How does it compare with the cost of 'upgrading' your PC?

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Looks like a good value. How does it compare with the cost of 'upgrading' your PC?

Well, it's about 50 bucks less than the components I listed in my OP. So, for 50 dollars less, I'm getting a new HD, a new DVD drive and Win7. So, all in all, I think I'll go for it!

DenverBrit
09-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Well, it's about 50 bucks less than the components I listed in my OP. So, for 50 dollars less, I'm getting a new HD, a new DVD drive and Win7. So, all in all, I think I'll go for it!

:thumbsup:

Is it a Dell? Just curious.....unlike some, I've had a lot of good luck with Dell.

maven
09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
There's a windows 8 developer's build out tehre and it's free. You could run with that.

broncosteven
09-18-2011, 08:10 PM
There's a windows 8 developer's build out tehre and it's free. You could run with that.

I would wait and go with Win7, Win8 is far from ready especially for anyone asking for PC help on a football board.

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 08:11 PM
:thumbsup:

Is it a Dell? Just curious.....unlike some, I've had a lot of good luck with Dell.

No, not Dell. From TigerDirect.

broncosteven
09-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Desktop....sound like I should go for it?

I would consider a laptop. Any reason you want to be chained to a desk?

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I would consider a laptop. Any reason you want to be chained to a desk?

Yeah, because I already have my work laptop, a notebook, my Color Nook and my iPhone. I got plenty to keep me busy if I'm away from home. But, I do my gaming (real gaming, not Angry Birds) here at my desk with the big screen monitor and surround sound.

broncosteven
09-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Yeah, because I already have my work laptop, a notebook, my Color Nook and my iPhone. I got plenty to keep me busy if I'm away from home. But, I do my gaming (real gaming, not Angry Birds) here at my desk with the big screen monitor and surround sound.

Get a game console instead.

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 08:43 PM

I do. PS3. But I'm old school. Cut my teeth on DOS games. I just can't get into the sitting on the couch and holding a controller gig. I need the keyboard and mouse.

gyldenlove
09-18-2011, 08:53 PM

Until the next generation of consoles are released there is no reason to buy one - games are overpriced, load screens and downgraded graphics kill a lot of games and the number of exclusive titles you really want to play is negligible currently.

broncosteven
09-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I do. PS3. But I'm old school. Cut my teeth on DOS games. I just can't get into the sitting on the couch and holding a controller gig. I need the keyboard and mouse.

I did too but it is so much nicer to have the bigger screen and I have a better surround sound system for movies than I do for my PC.

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Ok....my finger's itching to press "Add To Cart".....So, do we all agree I found a decent deal on a system that should run games for me at max or high settings for the next couple of years? Maybe have to upgrade the video card in a while, but all in all, a rig to upgrade what I've currently got:

Intel Core2 6400 2.13GHz
2GB RAM
Win XP SP3
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT

?

broncosteven
09-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Ok....my finger's itching to press "Add To Cart".....So, do we all agree I found a decent deal on a system that should run games for me at max or high settings for the next couple of years? Maybe have to upgrade the video card in a while, but all in all, a rig to upgrade what I've currently got:

Intel Core2 6400 2.13GHz
2GB RAM
Win XP SP3
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT

?

It is better than those specs.

How much you want for your old MB, CPU (with heatsink/fan) and RAM?

orangeatheist
09-18-2011, 09:11 PM
It is better than those specs.

How much you want for your old MB, CPU (with heatsink/fan) and RAM?

Heh heh....I've already promised them to the wife. Her laptop is dying. I'm putting this old one upstairs for her to use.

Requiem
09-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Enjoy your new purchase. I got my teeth cut playing games on a Tandy 386. Jordan vs. Bird (One on One) -- Anyone ever play that classic?

Chris
09-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Windows 7. I use Win7 at work and OS X at home. I prefer windows 7.

http://ecdn0.hark.com/images/000/017/663/17663/original.0

Traveler
09-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Love Windows 7 too. Only caveat being some of your old software might not be compatible. Although there might be updates available. I lost use of my wireless audio bridge.

Hulamau
09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
No, it's not which one is better, it's whether or not XP will work with the newer hardware. Is there something about the newer processor that makes it incompatible with XP? I don't mind upgrading to Win7 but can I postpone it for a bit until the coffers fill back up after the hardware upgrades?

Windows 8 is just around the corner but if you are upgrading you can add that in anytime. Win 7 is miles better than XP and works with everything. XP is no longer supported so why bother??.

Go Win 7 and use your brain energy for more constructive considerations :-)

DrFate
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
You may have problems finding WinXP drivers for newer hardware. And you should get more than 2GB of RAM

broncosteven
09-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Love Windows 7 too. Only caveat being some of your old software might not be compatible. Although there might be updates available. I lost use of my wireless audio bridge.

There is a 16 bit mode add on you can install that acts kinda like a VM ware session running XP. It is clunky but works if you have one old App that you need to access from time to time. It won't work for your Audio bridge but would for a small 16 bit app.

Fedaykin
09-19-2011, 12:58 PM

You don't have to, but:

* If you want more than 3.5GB of RAM, you need a 64bit OS -- and you probably don't have 64bit XP, and even if you did it's a steaming pile of ****.
* If you want an O/S that is still supported (security patches, DirectX, etc.) by MS
* If you want an O/S that is far better

You can get Home premium for $100 if you get an OEM copy (which is legal since you are buying new hardware).

Garcia Bronco
09-19-2011, 01:00 PM

As long as athere is winxp drivers for you Proc and chip set you should be fine.

DrFate
09-19-2011, 01:03 PM
As long as athere is winxp drivers for you Proc and chip set you should be fine.

and video card... ^5

Houshyamama
09-19-2011, 01:52 PM

alkemical
09-19-2011, 01:54 PM

I lol'd @ that too. ;)

Fedaykin
09-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Windows 8 is just around the corner but if you are upgrading you can add that in anytime. Win 7 is miles better than XP and works with everything. XP is no longer supported so why bother??.

Go Win 7 and use your brain energy for more constructive considerations :-)

Win8 is an abomination akin to WinME. Even if they manage to fix its fundamental flaws, it still won't be ready until SP1 -- just like any other MS OS.

DrFate
09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Win8 is an abomination akin to WinME. Even if they manage to fix its fundamental flaws, it still won't be ready until SP1 -- just like any other MS OS.

and you come to this conclusion based on what, exactly?

Houshyamama
09-19-2011, 02:35 PM

Talking to people at the apple store.

Fedaykin
09-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Watching their demos, reading the specs, etc. along with being a software developer myself.

Win8 is an abomination born from the desire to leverage desktop market dominance in the mobile space. The problem is, the desktop and the mobile space serve wildly different purposes, so attempting to build a unified operating system that does both simultaneously is doomed from the start. It's like trying to make a boat/plane/car hybrid. Sure you can do it, but the compromises made to make it work make it useless as a boat, plane or car.

Fedaykin
09-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Talking to people at the apple store.

The only Apple device I've ever owned was an iPod.

DrFate
09-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Watching their demos, reading the specs, etc. along with being a software developer myself.

Win8 is an abomination born from the desire to leverage desktop market dominance in the mobile space. The problem is, the desktop and the mobile space serve wildly different purposes, so attempting to build a unified operating system that does both simultaneously is doomed from the start. It's like trying to make a boat/plane/car hybrid. Sure you can do it, but the compromises made to make it work make it useless as a boat, plane or car.

So can I assume you've worked with an alpha/beta of this OS?

Jay3
09-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Enjoy your new purchase. I got my teeth cut playing games on a Tandy 386. Jordan vs. Bird (One on One) -- Anyone ever play that classic?

I did! Played it for hours in college. I played it on a 286.

Houshyamama
09-19-2011, 02:43 PM
The only Apple device I've ever owned was an iPod.

just pulling your chain ;)

broncosteven
09-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Never said I was a rocket scientist, just admire them.

BroncoBuff
09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I'd advise you stick with XP for now. Three reasons:

Save money on upgrade
Windows 8 is rumored to be a 2012 release
Microsoft recently extended XP support til Jan 2015

Jay3
09-19-2011, 07:39 PM

That's not a good reason. First of all, Windows 8 will not be a quantum leap in compatibility. Windows 7 was a major hit, and they will be riding it as a platform for many years. Windows 7 is the new XP.

Plus, rumored 2012 release is way far out. It usually takes them almost a year after release for the first real service pack, meaning it's not worth upgrading to until 2013.

broncosteven
09-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Save money on upgrade
Microsoft recently extended XP support til Jan 2015

Wrong, why buy a Quad Processor but only run 32 bit OS and access to 4G of RAM.

Get a 64 bit Win7 home edition