PDA

View Full Version : high school team trails by 29 before they even get the ball

Gort
09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Pulaski Academy leads Cabot 29-0 before Cabot even runs a single offensive play.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Arkansas-power-leads-team-29-0-before-it-can-tou?urn=highschool-wp5870

my gut instinct when reading this is that for one high school team to do this to another smacks of lack of class and sportsmanship by Pulaski Academy's coach. however, there may be more to the story than that. if the two teams were evenly matched, maybe this was one team's way of trying to win the game. read the comments at the link, they provide more background

tsiguy96
09-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Pulaski Academy leads Cabot 29-0 before Cabot even runs a single offensive play.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Arkansas-power-leads-team-29-0-before-it-can-tou?urn=highschool-wp5870

my gut instinct when reading this is that for one high school team to do this to another smacks of lack of class and sportsmanship by Pulaski Academy's coach. however, there may be more to the story than that. if the two teams were evenly matched, maybe this was one team's way of trying to win the game. read the comments at the link, they provide more background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

enjolras
09-15-2011, 07:44 PM
So I graduated from Cabot High:)

Go Panthers!

enjolras
09-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Pulaski Academy is a small private school. Cabot is actually usually one of the better schools in the state. I can't imagine there is anything unsportsmanlike about it.

swaiy
09-15-2011, 07:50 PM
4A beating up on a 7A. That's too bad.

Should have fielded those freaking onside kicks lol.

ghwk
09-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Bronco's trail by 29 before they even get the ball

Fixed!! Hilarious!

Perry1977
09-15-2011, 07:55 PM
I really want to see the 11 man rush, lol.

Steve Sewell
09-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Bronco's trail by 29 before they even get the ball

Fixed!! Hilarious!

Didn't that basically happen last year vs the Raiders at home? rofl

That One Guy
09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Now I can't swear by it but even though I never played QB outside of a pick-up game, I'm confident that I could get the ball to SOMEONE before they sacked me. Even if it was just a duck. The only way I could see that happening is if the WRs were so unobservative that they didn't click what was happening and didn't look back for the hot read.

Perry1977
09-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Now I can't swear by it but even though I never played QB outside of a pick-up game, I'm confident that I could get the ball to SOMEONE before they sacked me. Even if it was just a duck. The only way I could see that happening is if the WRs were so unobservative that they didn't click what was happening and didn't look back for the hot read.

I don't know, as soon as you see your corner blitz you should be looking back at the QB. I really can't believe it worked lol.

That One Guy
09-16-2011, 05:08 AM
I don't know, as soon as you see your corner blitz you should be looking back at the QB. I really can't believe it worked lol.

Yeah, especially at the HS level where players are more undisciplined. The WRs had to be doing the old "I'm open!" jumping jacks and would have seen a ball being tossed up to them. I don't doubt the article that says it worked but I just can't fathom how he couldn't completely destroy the D attempting it.

Jay3
09-16-2011, 05:43 AM
I love creative things in football. If you onside kick every time, there's a real possibility it could even out to an advantage.

In this case it was a drubbing. But I'd like to see an evenly matched team try it.

broncswin
09-16-2011, 06:02 AM
my senior year, we did onside kicks on an average of 70% every game....if worked damn near every time....took us all the way to the state semi's...if you have a good kicker and some mean SOB's to blow people up, the onside has a great chance to work at the high school level. We beat a team 56-0 in the quaters by using that on side kick....56-0 was the score at halftime and the other team decided to not come out for the second half lol lol

Garcia Bronco
09-16-2011, 06:19 AM
While it's a part of the game, It seems to be a chicken**** thing to do.

DrFate
09-16-2011, 07:43 AM
While it's a part of the game, It seems to be a chicken**** thing to do.

+1

Willynowei
09-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Sounds like smart coaching to me. If the other team is doing something piss poor (in this case special teams), you take advantage of it as many times as you can until they correct the mistake.

ZachKC
09-16-2011, 08:37 AM
my senior year, we did onside kicks on an average of 70% every game....if worked damn near every time....took us all the way to the state semi's...if you have a good kicker and some mean SOB's to blow people up, the onside has a great chance to work at the high school level. We beat a team 56-0 in the quaters by using that on side kick....56-0 was the score at halftime and the other team decided to not come out for the second half lol lol

Gimmicky teams always fall short in the end.

Bahshay
09-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Gimmicky teams always fall short in the end.

Sure, they fall short when they run into a team that is that much better than they are. But without the gimmicks, they probably never get far enough to play that team anyway.

Requiem
09-16-2011, 09:41 AM
I've played on softball teams that were down 20+ in three innings. I feel their pain.

ZachKC
09-16-2011, 09:57 AM
I remember in highschool we did this twice in one game but it wasn't our game plan or anything.

It wasn't really a traditional onside either.

The coaches saw that during normal kick offs the front line of the kick return team wasn't watching the ball go past they were just turning straight around and forming a wedge.

Our kicker kicked a ball in the air towards the sideline and the end guy streaking down the sideline caught the ball.

It worked twice.

Kaylore
09-16-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't have a problem with this. As with all things, you have to stop them. This is like parents that whine about the wet ball trick in Pop Warner.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-16-2011, 10:14 AM
That quarterback can ball.

Gort
09-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Sounds like smart coaching to me. If the other team is doing something piss poor (in this case special teams), you take advantage of it as many times as you can until they correct the mistake.

you're also instilling ****ty values in HS kids. it might be allowed by the rules, but i wouldn't be proud to win this way. maybe in the playoffs i wouldn't have as much of a problem. but early in the regular season, it seems pretty low class to do this unless Pulaski knew for sure they weren't good enough to beat Cabot fair and square.

Binkythefrog
09-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Going for it on fourth down all of the time in high school football seems like a good idea since most HS teams have poor punters. I don't quite understand going for it 4th and goal from the 23, but 4th and 5 from your own 40? Seems fine if you average 20 - 30 yards net punting.

And how does this instill bad values in kids? It's not cheating, they aren't stealing, they are playing within the rules of the game. Perhaps if they are up 5 scores with like 5 mins to go and the other team's offense can't play then it is lame, but otherwise I think it teaches to think creatively and not always within the confines of an "established way" of doing things. Isn't this what we keeping asking the Broncos to do with regards to other stuff (cringing as I type to try and avoid the inevitable)?

vancejohnson82
09-16-2011, 02:11 PM
tell this team to take a trip up to New Jersey and take on my alma mater Don Bosco Prep

Jason in LA
09-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Seems like a boxing match where one guy comes out throwing haymakers like crazy, and everybody thinks he's a moron, and then he lands one and knocks his opponent out.

DomCasual
09-16-2011, 02:27 PM
The world is funny.

How in the world is this bad? If anything, you're teaching kids, "The world is your oyster! Look at a problem, figure out what kinds of rules and laws you have to work with to fix it. Use all available resources, and fix it!"

A team from a high school with 350 kids figures out a way, within the rules, to take it to a team from a high school many times its size? And that's bad?

No wonder our country is falling behind other countries. We're pussifying people so much, they look for excuses to fail.

tsiguy96
09-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Seems like a boxing match where one guy comes out throwing haymakers like crazy, and everybody thinks his a moron, and then he lands one and knocks his opponent out.

for real, whats wrong with a team finding a competitive advantage and using it because the other team cant stop it?

DomCasual
09-16-2011, 02:33 PM
for real, whats wrong with a team finding a competitive advantage and using it because the other team cant stop it?

No kidding. Some might even dare to call something like that "ingenuity."

broncosteven
09-16-2011, 02:48 PM

This reminds me of mCd getting bitten repeatedly on fake punts. You would think at some point you would coach your team to watch for a fake.

Gort
09-16-2011, 02:53 PM
No kidding. Some might even dare to call something like that "ingenuity."

for professionals, i have no problem. for amateurs, i can't say i endorse it.

was it ok when nebraska or oklahoma scheduled cupcakes that they would routinely beat 79-0 or 88-0 for years and years and years? alot of people didn't like that and now despise those programs because they seemed to embody everything wrong with the "win at all costs" mentality that has overtaken college football.

if two HS teams met in the playoffs and both were 12-0, then i really wouldn't have a problem with it. but, if a 12-0 team did this to an 0-11 team, i would. like mentioned previously... that would be a chicken**** thing to do at the amateur level.

i don't know if that's really the case here, but it still feels kinda underhanded to run up a 29-0 score on another team before they even get a chance to run a single offensive play. for me the jury is out.