PDA

View Full Version : I thought Fox coached teams better than this

eddie mac
09-14-2011, 05:00 PM
The performance for me wasn't really that shocking. I'd hoped we'd win, show some offense and a bit of improvement on defense but the thing that pissed me off more than anything was the disorganisation and the fact that this team were not prepared for the NFL kickoff. I lost count of how many times we were penalised or missed a block, held, false started, were in the neutral zone etc etc. For a while there I thought the Raiders were playing their scout team.

I've no idea how much either system has changed since McCantDraft departed and Fox came in but for a team to look as disjointed as they did on both sides of the ball was unbelieveable. The funniest thing and one of the most shocking was Fox having to run down the sidelines to call a timeout when the Raiders had a totally uncovered receiver on a play from our 5 or thereabouts. That is pee-wee pathetic football and if anything I want to see an improvement in terms of discipline against the Bengals. In 10 plus years as a Bronco fan having the benefit of watching live games on the net as I'm overseas, I've never witnessed as bad a start to the season in terms of individual players not carrying out the basics of their job.

Not for one second am I going to expect this team to turn it around and play a lot better against the Bengals but I think it's a disgrace if a seasoned veteran HC like Fox cant get 53 players ready for a game. If a player continues to hold on the line, **** him off to the bench. If a numpty defensive player continues to stroll into the neutral zone or get a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty then do likewise. This team is in the **** in terms of talent so the last thing it needs is not to have what little talent it has NOT working as a unit out there and doing the basics of the position they're paid to play in.

Get it ****ing right, it really isn't that difficult, especially in a home opener.

TheReverend
09-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Anyone bring up how he should be focusing more on the gameplan and preparation and less on hookers?

............OH SNAP I WENT THERE!

KO5K
09-14-2011, 05:02 PM
This is what happens when you hire the only coach who had a worse record than McDaniels.

bowtown
09-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah it's not like he's only had a month with a brand new team or anything.

eddie mac
09-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Tell me more Rev, didn't know he liked the old garden tools.

HAT
09-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Didn't like the hire and still don't but will cut him some slack b/c the shortened off season. (Even though every team had it).

Brand new game coming up in 4 days.

TheReverend
09-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Tell me more Rev, didn't know he liked the old garden tools.

Just a rumor that was going around in Carolina that started to pick up more steam and SUPPOSEDLY played a role in him not receiving an extension.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-14-2011, 05:06 PM
I liked his timeout called when the Raiders had first and goal at the 1.

Why call a timeout there?

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Look at the petrified pile of dog crap McClueless left behind.

What did you expect?

eddie mac
09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah it's not like he's only had a month with a brand new team or anything.

Althought I haven't watched every other single game last weekend I reckon I'd be hard pressed to watch another team as disorganised as we were and they all had the same training time.

Also on the OL, Franklin was the only new player there, fair does it may be a different system but I expect a lot less moronic plays than they produced on Monday night. They looked far better organised in pre-season.

I'd also like to ask any real football technicians out there. Are the Denver Broncos defensive players supposed to constantly move positions all over the ****ing field right before the snap on every play??? That to me seemed far more excessive than usual. I'm used to seeing 1 or 2 moving but on every single play at least every one of our linebackers were being shown by other players where to move to.

eddie mac
09-14-2011, 05:09 PM

Read above Bob, there wasn't a defender within 10 yards of Heyward-Bey.

TheReverend
09-14-2011, 05:12 PM

No. Why call a time out after ONE run in a clock killing series 45 seconds pre-2 minute warning?

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2011, 05:13 PM
In their defense, it was Heyward-Bey.

He couldn't catch the clap in a whorehouse.

Where's that clip of him running past the Giants?

eddie mac
09-14-2011, 05:17 PM

I seem to recall him catching a 3rd down pass late in the game to basically kill it off. So he was good enough to beat our chumps bar Champ.

Steve Prefontaine
09-14-2011, 05:22 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fU8TeIxafXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheReverend
09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
We will have the most sophisticated running game in the NFL

I wanted a "gamer" at QB

::)

DBroncos4life
09-14-2011, 05:28 PM

Was that the one were HeyBay was uncovered?

broncocalijohn
09-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Was that the one were HeyBay was uncovered?

Yes, but in Bob's defense The Chug and Hoard Grill and Bar had the volume down and the screen had pepporoni and beer spit up all over the projector tv.

DBroncos4life
09-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes, but in Bob's defense The Chug and Hoard Grill and Bar had the volume down and the screen had pepporoni and beer spit up all over the projector tv.

Bob's mom must be slipping let him out of the house like that.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-14-2011, 06:07 PM
The fact he has 3 winning seasons in 9 years should have clued you in otherwise.

enjolras
09-14-2011, 06:08 PM
This is what happens when you hire the only coach who had a worse record than McDaniels.

Ya... cause McDaniels has won an NFC Championship as a head coach?

maven
09-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Didn't like the hire and still don't but will cut him some slack b/c the shortened off season. (Even though every team had it).

Brand new game coming up in 4 days.

I do not like at all, and no slack will be given. He's going to need Luck to bail his ass out.

TheReverend
09-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Denver's going to end up being one of those ****ing graphics that shows up on the screen about "How many coaches and QBs since Shanahan"

****ing Bowlen

Broncoman13
09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I figured Bob was talking about the Goalline stand when he called a timeout right before they punched it in for a TD... after Champ stopped the long McFadden run. So not the play where Heyward Bey was left uncovered... after that.

maven
09-14-2011, 06:22 PM
I figured Bob was talking about the Goalline stand when he called a timeout right before they punched it in for a TD... after Champ stopped the long McFadden run. So not the play where Heyward Bey was left uncovered... after that.

I was thinking that play too.

WolfpackGuy
09-14-2011, 06:24 PM
I thought the play Champ pulled up lame on was being reviewed.

I was half asleep by that point, so I don't remember for sure.

broncosteven
09-14-2011, 06:53 PM
The performance for me wasn't really that shocking. I'd hoped we'd win, show some offense and a bit of improvement on defense but the thing that pissed me off more than anything was the disorganisation and the fact that this team were not prepared for the NFL kickoff. I lost count of how many times we were penalised or missed a block, held, false started, were in the neutral zone etc etc. For a while there I thought the Raiders were playing their scout team.

I've no idea how much either system has changed since McCantDraft departed and Fox came in but for a team to look as disjointed as they did on both sides of the ball was unbelieveable. The funniest thing and one of the most shocking was Fox having to run down the sidelines to call a timeout when the Raiders had a totally uncovered receiver on a play from our 5 or thereabouts. That is pee-wee pathetic football and if anything I want to see an improvement in terms of discipline against the Bengals. In 10 plus years as a Bronco fan having the benefit of watching live games on the net as I'm overseas, I've never witnessed as bad a start to the season in terms of individual players not carrying out the basics of their job.

Not for one second am I going to expect this team to turn it around and play a lot better against the Bengals but I think it's a disgrace if a seasoned veteran HC like Fox cant get 53 players ready for a game. If a player continues to hold on the line, **** him off to the bench. If a numpty defensive player continues to stroll into the neutral zone or get a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty then do likewise. This team is in the **** in terms of talent so the last thing it needs is not to have what little talent it has NOT working as a unit out there and doing the basics of the position they're paid to play in.

Get it ****ing right, it really isn't that difficult, especially in a home opener.

I think your overreacting.

I wish people were this pissed at mCd in his short tenure as they are at Fox over 1 game.

I thought they did well considering this is a lock out year and we are starting 4 rookies and have changed the scheme of the Defense.

mCd really drained our depth in his weak attempt to "bring competition to all positions", fact is the punk had visions of glory proving the rest of the NFL he was right about Timbo while goosestepping around Mile High.

Allen did a great job on D even after repeatedly being given short fields, they didn't break until the Orton Fumble. Did they get caught with their pants down on 3rd and 13, yes but maybe if Champ doesn't slip he makes that tackle.

Oakland won a couple player on player battles like the Heyward-bust 3rd down play where Goodman looked like a ragdoll hanging out of a porche window going 120 mph but that was not on coaching. For the most part the D was in the right place, when not slipping or being held.

We can blame Orton and KM and even the OL for not executing but I thought the gameplan was solid and gave us a chance to win late in the game which we had.

The use of Fells was masterfull, Decker looks like a stud (one of the few things mCd may have got right) and Miller had a FF and had to be contended with all night.

There was a lot to be mad about Monday night but really the only thing I would put on the coaches was the lack of discipline with the penalties, which can be addressed.

I thought they did well with the talent they had.

JDB7821
09-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Ya... cause McDaniels has won an NFC Championship as a head coach?

It's odd to say since it wasn't THAT long ago, but the game has changed a lot since then. It's harder to win championships with offenses like he had then, and seems to want to develop now, with a pounding run game and a stout defense. It's part of my frustration with the Falcons after the Bears game...all of the elite teams in this league are flinging the ball all over the place. You have to adapt and get with the times. It seems the days of running your way to a championship are almost gone. Yes, you need a decent-good running game on certain days to beat certain teams, but the championships these days are won by elite quarterbacks who impose their will on the other team.

schaaf
09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
I forgot this was his first game as coach in the first game of the season in the year after a several month lockout where no communication was allowed to his players... But yeah I'm pissed (sarcasm at the end)

bowtown
09-14-2011, 07:12 PM
When I was a kid, used to be you'd give a new coaching staff as much as 3 whole years to get their players and system in place. Of course that was BT (Before Tebow). Now a days if a coach doesn't win the first game after a month of practice, we all go grab our pitchforks... times they are a changing.

barryr
09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't have problems with what Fox has done and has been doing so far. I think Monday's game just pointed out how their work of acquiring more talent is needed since they still have too many weak areas to overcome to win consistently. And I do not like to harp on one player, but Orton just isn't going to get it done at QB IMO. He would be good as your QB if you are strong in all of the phases of the game, but the Broncos are clearly not there right now.

HAT
09-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I think your overreacting.

I wish people were this pissed at mCd in his short tenure as they are at Fox over 1 game.

It's 2009 all over again.

2009:
Many people were just sick of the mediocre football that Denver played for three years and were willing to embrace something new, young and exciting....The new guy showed plenty of reasons for optimism out of the gate so people bought in despite some question marks.

Then he **** the bed and had the plug pulled.

2011:
Many people are just sick of the mediocre QB play that Denver has gotten for a season and and a half and want to embraced something new, young and exciting....The new guy showed plenty of reasons for optimism out of the gate so people bought in despite some question marks.

Let's hope it doesn't end the same way.

TheReverend
09-14-2011, 07:50 PM
When I was a kid, used to be you'd give a new coaching staff as much as 3 whole years to get their players and system in place. Of course that was BT (Before Tebow). Now a days if a coach doesn't win the first game after a month of practice, we all go grab our pitchforks... times they are a changing.

Usually coaches wouldn't **** the bed playing their new arch division rival at home when the game's been gift wrapped to them, but yes, the times they are a changing.

PS. To clarify, not saying fire fox, but he's been woefully unimpressive so far and a lot of that is HIS fault (sheer lack of discipline on penalties and a poorly prepared team from start to finish).

broncocalijohn
09-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Yet Rev thinks we should have kept Shanny around for doing a good job during his last 3 years. 9-9 record vs the divsion rivals while Fox has had one game and improved the outcome from 59-14 to 23 to 20. If you are going to be disappointed in Fox for his first game, then maybe these tidbits would make you realize that Shanny wasn't beating his arch rivals when it was needed: 2008 SD Loss 21-52 (to lose the division), 2008 Raiders Loss 10-31, losing 4 out of the last 6 games in 2008 (and first team to choke a 3 game lead with 3 to play). 2007 we lost 2 out of 3 near the end of the season to division rivals. In 2006, we lost the last 3 games vs division rivals by scores of 27 to 35 (home game), 10 to 19 and another blowout to SD 20-48.
If you are going to come down on Fox for one game then you clearly need to put the hammer down on Shanahan for the last three seasons he was here. Divsion rival games are the most important and he was .500 and **** the bed when we needed just a win.
By the way, penalties show lack of discipline and that is on both the coach and (mainly) the players. As for his game plan, it is one game that he has been here. Once the running game died, whatever his plan was, it turned one dimensional. He inherited this team for the most part. He is fixing one bad set up he was left with.

TheReverend
09-14-2011, 08:20 PM
^ Randomly references me in his multi paragraph tirade and has pic of me in his avy...

Not obsessed at all.

broncocalijohn
09-14-2011, 08:21 PM
^ Sees my name in the thread and rushes to it. Not obsessed at all. Im talking football, you are talking dribble. Instead of side stepping the post, answer the question Claire.

TheReverend
09-14-2011, 08:24 PM
^ Sees my name in the thread and rushes to it. Not obsessed at all. Im talking football, you are talking dribble.

::)

Yup, that's what happened.

...And you're "talking football"?

Let me pose this question again:

I'd like to extend a very special invitation to a fun game for the OP, BCJ:

With over 13,000 posts, please link one good football post.

Only one good football post out of 13,000.

........can you?

Let's see it Ha!

TheReverend
09-14-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm gonna catch some Z's now to give you some time to try and find something.

Will you? No, because you're the worst ****ing football poster on the board and that's why I mock you Ha!

Steve Sewell
09-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Its not about the X's and O's, it's about the Jakes and Joes.

TheReverend
09-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Its not about the X's and O's, it's about the Jakes and Joes.

"Players not plays"

broncocalijohn
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Little Rev cant answer the question. I guess that would be one good post about football. Hey Rev, you arent the superior poster of football here. Your clear obsession of Shanahan and being good the last few years and let us not forget George Foster and him not being a bust because he started for us are two examples of your knowledgable posting. I don't have to show you **** that is based on your slanted opinion. My post was well thought out and you havent got the reasons for it. But go so you can "sleep" on it. Kind of like when you went to Arizona and was going to come back to reply to Kaylore's ownage on you. Maybe get a fresh start and answer both of them.
BTW, anyone notice how Rev side steps a post by putting his own needed response?

broncosteven
09-14-2011, 08:42 PM
It's 2009 all over again.

2009:
Many people were just sick of the mediocre football that Denver played for three years and were willing to embrace something new, young and exciting....The new guy showed plenty of reasons for optimism out of the gate so people bought in despite some question marks.

Then he **** the bed and had the plug pulled.

2011:
Many people are just sick of the mediocre QB play that Denver has gotten for a season and and a half and want to embraced something new, young and exciting....The new guy showed plenty of reasons for optimism out of the gate so people bought in despite some question marks.

Let's hope it doesn't end the same way.

Dunno, I don't remember the outcry to fire Shanny until after he got fired. I thought more people were upset that he was going to keep Slowic at DC but thought only a few wanted him fired.

I also hope Fox's tenure turns out different.

edit: oh wait there was that "Fire Shanny" guy with the website but he had that up before 2005 so I consider him a crack pot. BTW I hope he got what he wanted....

Mogulseeker
09-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Anyone bring up how he should be focusing more on the gameplan and preparation and less on hookers?

............OH SNAP I WENT THERE!

I know a few Navy buddies who had been with prostitutes in Italy and Bahrain. Not my forte, but I read in Esquire that something like 25 percent of men have paid for sex. (This doesn't include dinner dates and wedding rings and purses and shoes and stuff.)

NFLBRONCO
09-14-2011, 08:48 PM
If it wasn't Fox it would have been Dennison

HAT
09-14-2011, 09:01 PM
I know a few Navy buddies who had been with prostitutes in Italy and Bahrain. Not my forte)

That's probably for the best. It would seriously suck to pay for it & still get cock blocked somehow. :yayaya:

Rohirrim
09-14-2011, 09:03 PM
The fact he has 3 winning seasons in 9 years should have clued you in otherwise.

I thought Haley did a masterful job against the guy he fired.